University of South Carolina Employee Reviews

Great Learning Experience
Consultant (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaFebruary 2, 2016
Worked with various companies and my classmates to provide value added consulting services.

I learned a lot from both my co-workers and my clients - problem solving, communication skills, time management and money management.
Productive work place
Paid Internship (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 29, 2016
Great place to work with many opportunities for career building within the company. Also has a consistent high quality expectation on its products and its employees.
As a graduate student, I have a lot of freedom
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 30, 2015
It is a typical graduate research assistant job. I a lot of your experience depends on your professor. I got a pretty good one. If you own a grand for your research, you have a lot more freedom from your professor, which would be nice.
Pros
Tuition is paid for
Cons
Professors want a lot from you for a relatively low pay
It was what it was
Biomedical Engineering Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 24, 2015
research assistant, grad student, engineering. I had a nice office, great professors. I would recommend it to anybody willing to work hard in a good atmosphere.
Productive Learning Environment
Chemist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 30, 2015
A very calm environment that promotes learning. The Professor i conducted research under was the smartest person i have ever met. Answered any questions that were asked, and always had an answer. The people i conducted research with were very helpful and great at teaching laboratory techniques.
Pros
Great research group
Cons
Old laboratory equipment could cause set backs at time
good place to be
Information Consultant II (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 8, 2015
Being around young people who is a bout to start college always made me push myself to learn new things and aspire to be better.
Most of my career and business successes were acquired while at the University of South Carolina.
director of human resources (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 6, 2015
Although managing the day-to-day operations of the USC School of Medicine's Department of Human Resources was challenging and sometimes stressful, I treasured the job. Being a people person, I felt appreciated and respected by my co-workers (faculty and staff) and employees. The hardest part of the job was guiding a supervisor/manager through the disciplinary process and having to terminate an employee. The best part of the job was finding the perfect job for someone and knowing they were glad to be a USC School of Medicine employee.
Pros
The appreciation and support I received from the Dean and Associate Dean of the Medical School.
Cons
Seeing someone lose their job.
N/a
Program Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 5, 2015
University of SC is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. Where they are dedicated to providing students with a stimulating learning environment and where students are encouraged to work hard to achieve their goals.
Data Coordinator, Center for Colon Research (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 29, 2015
Nice place to work just needs to be more organization. Everyone needs to be on accord but the people are very friendly benefits are ok. Students are very helpful and friendly.
Pros
Great Place to work
Productive learning environment
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Columbia, South CarolinaSeptember 26, 2015
Enjoyed interacting with peers everyday. Was able to complete my homework while working. Manager was very helpful and enjoyable to be around. Learned how to critique resumes and help others seek jobs in the workforce.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Short shifts
Good job for a graduate art student
BEGINNING CERAMICS GRADUATE INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 25, 2015
This was the position I had for my assistantship in graduate school. The pay wasn't great, but helped with the bills. Balancing this position and my studies was a little difficult, but everyone who was teaching this course shared projects to make the load a little easier.
A good place to learn new things and make new friends
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Engineering CollegeAugust 24, 2015
Most professors are very nice to students and working as an teaching assistant here is not a difficult work for most of us.
Pros
balanced work time
Cons
salary is ordinary
Small data lab
Geophysical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 22, 2015
Spent a lot of time entering data, or digitizing map and seismic data from the 70's. People were fun to work with and there was always something that needed to be done.
Productive, innovation driven work environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 4, 2015
Working as part of team of graduate students that innovates in the areas of hydrothermal and flux crystals growth for the synthesis of new oxide and hybrid materials has been very enriching.
Perfect working place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 22, 2015
As a research assistant, I have stayed here for over four years. Every one is nice and friendly. I really enjoy working and life here.
Productive environment
Facility Service Custodian (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 19, 2015
Work was productive daily, friendly staff and the hours were great. I enjoyed working at my steady pace and helping other employees complete tasks if I finished early which was usually on a daily basis.
professional and up-to-date unit to work in with residents, fellows and med students
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SC at MUSC;July 14, 2015
The Developmental Peds and Behavioral Department are experts in their field. Wonderful and complete staff; caring for a variety of needy patients and parental teaching. Always up-to-date with newest medications, tests and treatments.
Pros
amazing assortment of loving children
Cons
incredible, lengthy electronic charting
Great University for Research Students
Research Assistant - Forensic Analytical Chemistry (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 7, 2015
USC is an exceptional place for graduate and undergraduate level research experience! There are many research topic choices and the faculty are open to working with one-another and are willing to give advice whether you are their student or not.
Working Atmosphere
Night Asst. Building Facility Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 1, 2015
The management did not create a working atmosphere that was pleasant for all people. They did not treat everyone equal or fair based on your work ethics and experience.
Workload was extreme but results rewarding
Admissions Administrative Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 27, 2015
We worked nonstop from 8:30 until 5:00. Time was of the essence in our ability to review transcripts, applications and determine if students were eligible for admission. Also had to process readmits, nondegree applicants and transfer students. Had to learn various computer applications specific to admissions. As with all jobs these days the computer applications were replaced with more updated programs requiring us to continuously be educated. Loved being part of a team that worked together to get things done. We took pride in our work. Only downside was compensation. Because it was a state job, compensation was low however benefits were good. Our supervisor was an extremely hard worker. Hardest part of the job, was low pay. Most enjoyable part of the job was being part of a team that took pride in consistently exceeding our goals.
Pros
free parking
Cons
low pay

4.3