University of South Carolina Employee Reviews in United States

A higher education institution is a rewarding environment to work in.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 16, 2016
I have not had the opportunity for advancement in my department and have a multitude of administrative experience. I have shown management that I am fully capable of performing complex tasks, as well as assisting in implementing and learning new computer software for the university.

Management has not shown their willingness to upgrade/reward employees for their hard work and going the extra mile.
Pros
Professional Development courses, Exercise facilities, Enroll in one free class per semester
Cons
Salary is not commensurate with my abilities
Getting to use organizational and customer service skills
Parking Booth Attendant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 29, 2016
This position requires my constant supervision of available parking spaces and monitoring parked vehicles for illegal parking, The space is very limited so when the garage becomes full I put out a sign to let people know. When a car leaves, I go to the entrance and let in as many as there are spaces for. This can sometimes be somewhat taxing as the entrance and exit are located on opposite sides of the building, but I do enjoy the exercise.
Pros
Decent pay and I am always happy to work any overtime
Cons
Does not include full benifits for temporary employees
This is a University, and it is a good place to work, as well as attend school
Virtual Student (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 1, 2016
Very busy school. International student gives great exposure to different cultures. Library open 24-7 for available study and research. Library has cafe, and vending machine. So much to learn, and professors are good with providing information.
Pros
Great exposure to different cultures.
Cons
Can be over stimulating for introverted people.
Great work relationship with employees of the university
Graduate Assistant, College of Social Work (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 13, 2016
The work culture of the University's social work department was supportive, engaging and always striving to put the needs of the students first. One of the main goals of all staff and faculty in the social work department is to see all the students accomplish their goals and also gain thorough knowledge of their profession to be culturally competent and most importantly, show and give compassion to all of our clients and their families.
Wonderful school, city, and theater department
Director, Producer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 24, 2016
Director, Producer
Produced and directed Same Time Next Year. Managed The Longstreet and The Robby Benson theaters on campus.

Supervised production and support staff including stagecraft crew members.
Scheduled productions maintained the house operations.
Coordinated advertising for university productions.
Related well to creative people in various artistic fields whose collaborative
efforts were essential to the success of the project.
My experience at the university was great. College taght me a lot and gave me new morals.
Student Athlete (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 20, 2016
Being a student athlete at south Carolina was not easy but it was well worth the blood, sweat and tears. From 5 am morning workout to class, then to study hall and meetings and from there we go to practice and finish out the day with study hall, and with study hall ending when ever you got your work done there is no way to tell how long your day is going to last but, I will say college made me mentally strong.
Coworkers Who Become Family
Undergraduate Student Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 7, 2016
In academia it's not typical for coworkers to become close but at USC Columbia this is normal. A typical day at work includes coming in a little early so you can chat with coworkers, getting to the office a few minutes early so you can open the office without rushing, checking emails, meeting with students/staff/faculty, eating lunch (1 hour lunch breaks), checking emails, more meetings, meeting with coworkers after work as you walk to your cars together.

Sometimes the day can be very stressful because if you are good at your job you may end up with more and more tasks than you signed up for. Take this as a compliment and ask for help when needed. That said, no two days are identical and that makes for a fun and challenging work place.
Pros
hour long lunches, friendly coworkers
Cons
lots of tasks, no set routine
Slow paced work environment, with interesting research surveys.
Survey Researcher (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 15, 2016
Easy job, you don't have to work more than 12 hours a week and you create your own schedule. Some of the surveys are interesting, others need an obvious overhaul but interviewers have no control over that. Overall it works as a secondary job not primary.
Pros
You can dictate you own schedule.
Cons
The healthcare and it's boring.
Fun workplace at a different college
Marine Biology Internship (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 27, 2016
A typical work day involved sorting fish eggs from the Gulf of Mexico. Each egg needed a measurement, a photo, and an extraction of DNA. That determined the type of fish egg which resulted in knowing what type of fish were in the Gulf of Mexico. Although this internship lasted only 3 months, I was able to learn how to do research and how to interact with my mentors and other student interns. My overall experience at USC was the best and I'd love to do an intern there again!
Pros
Free living expenses and food plans
Cons
The amount of time it lasted
Great Learning Experience
Consultant (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaFebruary 2, 2016
Worked with various companies and my classmates to provide value added consulting services.

I learned a lot from both my co-workers and my clients - problem solving, communication skills, time management and money management.
Great place to work.
Reception Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 26, 2016
The University does a great job at educating our students and providing them with the tool that will help the build a great quality of life for themselves and their families and impact their communities.
Pros
May opportunities within the University.
Cons
No opportunity for advancement in my department.
Depends on...
Student Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 27, 2016
It was an overall rewarding experience. Work can become routine-like and boring at times. little to no-room for advancement.

Good benefits and flexible time (again, depends on the department).

People are generally really friendly and great to work with.
Pros
Benefits, work-life balance, beautiful campus.
Cons
no room for advancement, bureaucratic
A Fun Productive Place to Work
Web Technologies Researcher (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 3, 2016
Overall the University was really fun to work, but times change and the research that was being done was slowing and we were no longer really progressing as fast as I wanted it to be.
Pros
Fun, Fast Paced
Cons
Old Technolgy
Productive work place
Paid Internship (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 29, 2016
Great place to work with many opportunities for career building within the company. Also has a consistent high quality expectation on its products and its employees.
Great Place to get an education
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 27, 2016
Great school and staff. Was given ample opportunities to further my career and education. The staff was always readily available to assist me in achieving my goals and helping ensure my success.
Low Pay and now room for growth
Senior Applications Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 18, 2016
If I had other options, I would not have taken this job. The pay is low, parking is horrible, and the hiring process is a nightmare.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Parking is horrible and expensive, the pay is low, and the hiring process is ridiculously long.
Laid back atmosphere with good pay for students
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 10, 2016
USC is good about taking care of its students, including good paying on campus jobs. There is a relaxed atmosphere to work in as everyone knows you are a student.
Really good people that are poorly managed.
Functional Lead on implementation of TAM/CG (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 20, 2016
Really good people that are poorly managed. Conflict between the business of Education and the Presentation of Education.
Very good work enviroment
Fiscal Technician IV (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 15, 2016
Getting my job done to the best of my ability..
Learning everything that possible to make sure job well done
Working in a good environment.. Co-workers were great
utility clerk
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 28, 2016
worked front line, back of the house, prepped and prepared food, unloaded trucks, cooked on the the front line and I also worked in all areas of gamecock park
Pros
lots of work
Cons
n/a

4.3