University of South Carolina Employee Reviews

University of South Carolina, Athletics Department
Digital & Social Media Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 7, 2013
I sincerely love my internship work at Carolina. I think one of the reasons I love it is because there is always something new to do. A typical workday always includes monitoring and updating our social media sites i.e. Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, Flickr, Instagram, Spurs Up Blog which is always entertaining and informative to see what fans as well as our online sponsors are responding to and what they want to see more of. Then I either have an interview of a player or need to add a new interview to our website or I design new graphics for social media sites or posters for the Gamecocks. On game-day a typical day involves being at the stadium 3 hours before kick-off and setting up in the press box, after I assist with an auctioned tour of Williams Brice Stadium (usually about 20 fans), then I photograph and shoot the "gamecock walk" where our players are greeted by fans as they parade into the stadium. From there I monitor and update Twitter feeds before and throughout the game. Also during the game, I photograph the crowd and fan photos which I later add to our online photo albums. The hardest part of a game-day is running up and down the numerous stairs and being everywhere at once, luckily I utilize a tablet and can do most of my tweeting between taking fan photos. The most enjoyable part of the job is Monday mornings after a gameday weekend or now that is is baseball season the day after a great game, its amazing to see the reactions we get on our social media sites and how much our work as a team increases others experiences at a sporting event. Also, it is pretty exciting  more... to log on to our social media and see someone has used my design for their Facebook Coverphoto or Twitter background.  less
Pros
being able to see the inside of all the gamecocks stadiums, the press box & watching a game from up there
Cons
not being able to cheer in the press box
Kind and open coworkers; wonderful environment
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaufort, SCMay 13, 2015
I love working here. The other staff members do their best to make sure that the student workers are all happy and well taken care of. Everyone is so nice to each other to the point that a family atmosphere is easily attainable. If someone is not happy then the other members notice quickly and try to help.

The work we get is generally from professors or students looking to make a video for the purpose of promoting a class/club or informing others about a lesson or social topic. This is not to say that the work cannot be time consuming and/or difficult, but it makes it all the more enjoyable.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that when the student or professor gets their finished production and the look of wonder and amazement on their faces. While putting in the work and endlessly wondering and hoping that it turns out alright, the recipient is utterly happy about the entire product.
Pros
enjoyable atmosphere
Great For Students
Resident Mentor, University Housing (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 26, 2014
Being a Resident Mentor was one of the greatest things I could have done during my time in college. I got to work with incoming freshmen and was able to provide the resources they would need to help them better their time at school.

Working with freshmen was equally stressful, because they are always ready to party and sometimes took it overboard. But my job required me to be on alert for any situations that may turn into a crisis and how to avoid these situations. I was able to educate myself as well as my residents about the dangers that come along with excessive alcohol and drug use.

It was a great job, I was able to work, go to class, and still have plenty of time to go to the gym and socialize. It looks good on your resume as well. It is not a glamorous job, but it pays decently and you learn how to live and interact with people from all walks of life.
A day in a Residence hall at USC
Desk Assistant for the Housing Department of USC (Current Employee) –  East Quad Residence HallDecember 26, 2012
I typically work anywhere from 2-6 hours on a shift. I go in, sign my time sheet and sit at the desk and basically answer any questions my residents might have. My boss is the Resident Life Coordinator and has an office right next to mine. Any questions I cannot answer will be referred to him. My co-workers are other desk assistants as well as Resident Mentors who live in the Residence Halls with the students. The hardest part of the job is dealing with unruly visitors who don't want to abide by building rules. The most enjoyable part is knowing that my residents value me as an employee and have no problem approaching me with any questions or concerns
Pros
you are allowed to bring your computer and cell phone to work
Cons
very hard to get hours. at the most i get 8 hours on one paycheck
Workload was extreme but results rewarding
Admissions Administrative Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 27, 2015
We worked nonstop from 8:30 until 5:00. Time was of the essence in our ability to review transcripts, applications and determine if students were eligible for admission. Also had to process readmits, nondegree applicants and transfer students. Had to learn various computer applications specific to admissions. As with all jobs these days the computer applications were replaced with more updated programs requiring us to continuously be educated. Loved being part of a team that worked together to get things done. We took pride in our work. Only downside was compensation. Because it was a state job, compensation was low however benefits were good. Our supervisor was an extremely hard worker. Hardest part of the job, was low pay. Most enjoyable part of the job was being part of a team that took pride in consistently exceeding our goals.
Pros
free parking
Cons
low pay
When school was in session, was very busy.
Academic Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, SCSeptember 21, 2014
This is a great place to work and the people are really nice. When the students were in session, it was quite busy, as they were in need of there professors, and helped arrange with them to either email the professor or try to locate them or help them in any way that I could.

I have learned a lot more patience as when things do not go right with a student they get flustered and upset. I try to calm them and help them take care of their problem.

Management was always there with a helping hand.

My co-workers were always there to help in any way that they could.

The hardest part of the job at times were the clashing personalities, however, I do have a lot of patience, and would just smile and try to smooth the edges.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working with all the people. Whenever you needed a helping had someone was always there to help you.
Running a fraternity house is definately a handful
Housing Director/Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 2, 2014
Got a chance to work with upcoming students and help to guide them in their academic as well as social development. Working about 80hrs per week and on call 24/7 but good amount of time off to recharge batteries on school holidays, winter and summer breaks. Have worked with the same staff for almost 11 years and they are well trained and willing to put forth a ton of extra effort. Decent benefits because it is a state job and comes with housing, cable, internet, but the pay is not really that great.
Pros
free housing, meals, cable, internet, healthcare, paid vacation and sick leave
Cons
long hours, tons of health and safety considerations
Wages are low (below market), employees have to pay for parking, and a huge lack of diversity
Assistant Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 25, 2015
Within the academic support/student affairs division and facilities management division, it's required that the administrative employees and the office support staff have at least a bachelor's degree; however, the salaries offered to the them range from $26,000 to $32,000 per year. Cronyism is a huge issue at the University of South Carolina, as this is the South and the good ole boy network is still in effect. The trades specialist are not required to have any type of trade certifications; therefore, the University can get away with staffing a large number of general maintenance/trades employees and pay them extremely low wages.
Pros
tuition assistance - one class per semester
Cons
don't make enough to buy books regardless of tuition assistance
Peer Tutor while attending college full-time
Accounting Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, SCSeptember 16, 2012
I helped students achieve academic excellence in accounting courses. I developed so many great skills that have helped me in my professional career, such as presentation skills, public speaking, learning to adapt your approach to different types of learners, and managing time. The manager was awesome and really encouraged all the tutor to focus on their studies first, their wellness second, and the students they tutor third. My co-workers were mostly full-time college students. I enjoy teaching others and helping them achieve academic success, plus I tutored a subject area I love, accounting.
Pros
flexible work schedule, flexible hours, great manager, great people, great learning experience, great for full-time college students
Cons
challenge to appeal to everyone who needs your help
Can be a challenge at times
Custodial Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, South CarolinaMarch 30, 2015
I work in Custodial services, where retention rates are historically low, so training new people is something I almost always have to do.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with the different personalities, and finding ways to bring the best out of these personalities. When you are at a point where you think you know their skill set, they've either been fired, or quit.

I am learning how to be an effective leader, and the importance of time management.

My co-workers are, for the most part, computer illiterate, including some areas in management.

The most enjoyable part of the job is access to the gym facility.
Pros
Gym
Cons
Just about everything else, unfortunately.
Most of my career and business successes were acquired while at the University of South Carolina.
director of human resources (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 6, 2015
Although managing the day-to-day operations of the USC School of Medicine's Department of Human Resources was challenging and sometimes stressful, I treasured the job. Being a people person, I felt appreciated and respected by my co-workers (faculty and staff) and employees. The hardest part of the job was guiding a supervisor/manager through the disciplinary process and having to terminate an employee. The best part of the job was finding the perfect job for someone and knowing they were glad to be a USC School of Medicine employee.
Pros
The appreciation and support I received from the Dean and Associate Dean of the Medical School.
Cons
Seeing someone lose their job.
Good experience
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 25, 2014
Every week I give lectures to students, answer their questions after class, reply emails from students regarding different situations and questions, set up dropbox for them to submit assignments, and grade part of the exams.

I keep trying to improve my teaching and making the tough concepts easier for the students to understand, by giving examples, draw pictures and so on. I have 3 or 4 Ph.D. students help me with grading and answering questions from the students in the lab. I communicate with them time to time to understand what parts are difficult for the students to understand. The hardest part is to get all this working smoothly and ensure the students understand what's taught in the class.
Challenging and productive place
Statistics consultant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 11, 2013
I took a comprehensive range of courses in my last three years and now I am working on dissertation research. Those courses laid a solid foundation for knowledge in both theoretical and many application fields, especially biomedical sciences. My research trained me to learn by myself and to innovate upon existing methodologies. Besides research and study, I enjoy my job: teach Statistics class and cooperate with researchers in the consultant lab. The hardest part of my experience here is research and yet fruitful as it turned out. Overall, I appreciate the much experience I have acquired here.
Educational atmosphere with knowledgable staff
Student Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCJanuary 13, 2014
A typical day of work was making sure that campus computers were up to date and troubleshooting any software issues that may occur.

I learned many different programming styles and gained knowledge of different operating systems.

Management was relaxed allowing me to work and learn at a steady pace.

My co-workers were helpful and supportive.

The hardest part of the job was prioritizing which task needed to be completed first.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of satisfaction after successfully completing an arduous assignment.
A great place to work!
Master Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 11, 2015
On a daily basis, I come in to work and process requests through our shared email account for the Scheduling Department of the Registrar's Office. I have wonderful colleagues that are supportive and helpful whenever needed. I love my boss. She is always on the ball and creates a comfortable atmosphere in our office. I think the hardest part of the job is getting a permanent position on this team. Overall, I believe this is one of the best places to work in South Carolina!
Pros
benefits for temporary employees
Cons
not getting paid for required days off
Great Organization
Resident Mentor (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCJune 17, 2015
The work environment is very calm and kind of a do it at your own pace environment. No day was the same, every day involved something different because each day there was a different problem going on. While working here i was able to learn better communication skills, leadership skills, management skills and i was able to enhance my creativity skills. The most enjoyable part of the day was seeing my co-workers. We were like family, we were together on and off the job.
Pros
Learning leadership and communication skills
Cons
Getting a emergency phone call during your study time
Great place to work for those who have always wanted to work in a University setting
Student Services Program Coordinator I (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 21, 2015
Financial Services is a challenging area to work in. Many times the area has negative feedback due to the nature of the business (dealing with people's money).

The management staff is sharp and supportive. You are expected to do your job effectively and efficiently. However, they make themselves available when additional assistance, clarification or training is needed.
Pros
healthy work environment
Cons
opportunities for advancement within the department
Great Place to Work
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 13, 2013
USC-Columbia is a great place to work if you want the city life environment, but you don't want to feel overwhelm by it. The administration is okay, it can be very bureaucratic at times. Each department operates within its own culture, which is great. As an employee of the School of Library and Information Science, it is leading the charge in many new initiatives across campus. The most enjoyable part of my job is teaching students to think critically and become life-long learners.
A challanging place to work
Director of Columbia's Cooking! (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 4, 2012
Duties vary from teaching nutritionally focused culinary classes to research on the link between diet and health. Working with students to expose them to the feild of dietetics is very rewarding. Research into health benefits of foods as it relates to cancer and chronic disease prevention is fascinating.
Pros
the work is very enjoyable
Cons
no opportunity for pay raise, no advancement with in the department, work load is out of balance, basic administrative support is lacking, no goal setting or reviews with management
Great Coworkers, Great Atmosphere
Building Manager/Attendant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 14, 2014
Russell House is dependent on the work of the everyday workers. It is a great place to be and has been a pleasurable experience working here. A typical day of working consists of managing events and ensuring that each event is set-up to the client's needs. We ensure that each client is given the requested materials and excellent service to allow for an easy-going event. Life is stressful enough when planning for these events and we are here to alleviate that stress when it comes to the event set-up.

4.3