University of South Carolina Employee Reviews

Great Place for Part Time Job while in School
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 16, 2017
I enjoyed working for the women's and gender studies department. I was able to come in and work whatever hours I could while working for the department that was my minor. I loved the teachers and other office staff.
Pros
Nice people, free donuts
Eh its alright
Project Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 12, 2017
Its a job, its alright. I did not want to rate this because it is a PhD program and it does not make sense to comment its pretty run of the mill and average. Not particularly hard or difficult just get your work done and everyone is happy.
Fast Pace
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 5, 2017
Hard working, fast , needed to be done with the time difference. Clean and sanitize as well as stay out everyone's way . Keep to yourself dont be in your phone
Pros
Fun
Cons
No cons
Slave labor as a graduate student
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 1, 2017
Very difficult place to work as a graduate assistant. Be prepared for low pay, poor insurance and a community that is solely focused on increasing their grant funding and adding more work hours to your day.
There was no perks for this temp. job
Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 30, 2017
A typical work day constituted working four hours, straight calling with a Supervisor at the end of the row listening in on all calls, so you really didn't have a chance to deviated from the script.

I learned a lot just by working there at USC and what or who would be behind these surveys and what happens after data is collected.
Pros
A short job only four hours and additional pay for you.
Cons
Sitting at the desk calling back to back made four hours could seem like ten hours.
productive and fun place to work
Shuttle Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 30, 2017
Working for usc was amazing because we were a team player job. There was no stress here at this job. We come in and shuttle the students and staff to many events.
Pros
smooth ride with the students and staff
Cons
didn't have healthcare cause i had a full time job
Student Loan Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCAugust 27, 2017
I was blessed to have worked for the best director and assistant director of the department of Financial Aid. They both were very caring and patient with teaching me everything about the financial aid world at a college level. Amazing knowledge and training I obtained during my time at the USC. The whole campus was very friendly -from fellow employees to students. I enjoyed meeting the students and working for the department of financial aid. Great job!
Pros
Learned a skill
Cons
Na
The employees are from all different walks of life i find that very interested
Custodian Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 19, 2017
Typical day for me when students not there is quiet and little less work the environment is safe and relaxed. My day starts with opening emails/ complaints, put officers on duty, checking roll call book for work assignment, check voice-mail, prepare daily package etc.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
Work less durning summer months
Good job with good benefits
Resident Mentor/Advisor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 14, 2017
Although you technically are constantly working, as a resident mentor you are given the opportunity to bond with not just your co workers but the residents you are caring for on your floor. This is a great college job.
Pros
Half off room and board
Cons
Constantly working
Good Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCAugust 8, 2017
In the ten years I have been with USCA, it has been a fair place to work, I'm really wanting a part time job if possible. It is like working with family.
Not a good fit for an ambitious employee
Information Technology Services Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 4, 2017
The people you will find here are generally quite nice and pleasant to work with but for those with a desire to further their career this is probably not the place to go. It is beset with low funding and few advancement opportunities. If you can get in with a salary you're okay with for the future it's a fine place to work but don't expect regular raises. They are good non-financial benefits and their is often the opportunity to learn via on the job training but this training only seems to be of benefit if you choose to leave the university.
Pros
Paid leave, easygoing atmosphere, friendly co-workers
Cons
Low salary, little chance of advancement in house
Great work
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 25, 2017
I have worked with mouse models for colon cancer and studied the liver metastasis in colon cancer. Learnt the mice surgeries and performed dissections on specific strains of mice for colon cancer.
Fun Student Employment
Undergraduate Student Services Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 20, 2017
I enjoyed working here as a student worker. I worked as a Peer Counselor in the Psychology undergraduate office. I got to help my fellow students and learned a lot about the department and academic advising.
Supportive work environment and great teaching experience.
Teaching/Grading Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 20, 2017
A typical day in this role consisted of either grading papers or leading discussion sections of thirty students, three times per week. I learned how to effectively communicate with students and how to teach them to write and think independently. The workplace culture was good because the professors that I worked for were very supportive and knowledgable about the subjects and how to teach them. The hardest part of the job was dealing with students who weren't interested in the material. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a student's hard work pay off.
Excelente universidad
Student assistant (Former Employee) –  USJuly 18, 2017
Excelente educacion y profesores. Al igual que los equipos de deporte
Great Learning Experience
Student (Former Employee) –  onlineJuly 13, 2017
I chose USC to study Public Health. I am interested in the field, specifically food safety/restaurant inspection. So much information was obtained. The instructor was clear in explanation and helpful. Highly recommend
Worked here for 7 years and loved it
Administrative Assistant, Office of Special Events (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 12, 2017
I've worked at the University of South Carolina in a Film Archive, Rare Books Library and as an admin for a Special Events office. I loved working for the university.
A good place to work if you are full time
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 3, 2017
If you have a full time job, this is one of the best institutions to work for; unfortunately, if you are part time, good luck. There are no benefits and the wages are hard to live on.
Great learning and skill developing experience
Freelance Videographer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 30, 2017
The work was fast paced but enjoyable. I developed various promotional videos used by the University on social media pages as well as their websites. great experience with working individually and also as a group to develop quality videos for promoting departments in the University of South Carolina.
Pleasurable work environment
Hazmat Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 29, 2017
I guess depending on what department you work for translates to how you'll enjoy your job. I worked for the environmental department. Never had an issue with Management, they were very down to earth. The biggest downfall was that only myself and one other on our crew of about 8 took our job seriously. The professionalism of many of our coworkers was lacking greatly. Many times it made us all look bad..
Pros
Management, laid back environment
Cons
Coworkers very unprofessional. Low pay with little chance of increase

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of South Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3