University of South Carolina Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work.
Reception Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 26, 2016
The University does a great job at educating our students and providing them with the tool that will help the build a great quality of life for themselves and their families and impact their communities.
Pros
May opportunities within the University.
Cons
No opportunity for advancement in my department.
Great college
Student Government (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 18, 2016
Great experience during college which gave me great skills for the workplace. Great atmosphere and culture which is indicative of USC as a whole
Low Pay and now room for growth
Senior Applications Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 18, 2016
If I had other options, I would not have taken this job. The pay is low, parking is horrible, and the hiring process is a nightmare.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Parking is horrible and expensive, the pay is low, and the hiring process is ridiculously long.
Good supervisors
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 28, 2016
I have been working as a teaching assistant in the university of South Carolina. Most supervisors and co-workers are very helpful and friendly.
Depends on...
Student Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 27, 2016
It was an overall rewarding experience. Work can become routine-like and boring at times. little to no-room for advancement.

Good benefits and flexible time (again, depends on the department).

People are generally really friendly and great to work with.
Pros
Benefits, work-life balance, beautiful campus.
Cons
no room for advancement, bureaucratic
Productive and fun place to work. The employees are great.
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 8, 2016
I learned about how to process financial aid for students. There wasn't really a hard part about the job. We just had very busy moments during registration months.
Pros
Getting recognized for your great performance.
Cons
Registration months can be exhausting.
Exciting fulfilling job with great benefits
Telecommunication Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 5, 2016
provide assistance with emergency and non emergency calls
information hub for USC campus
requires the ability to multi-task
Pros
schedule great flexible with continuning education
Cons
12 hours shifts
This is a University, and it is a good place to work, as well as attend school
Virtual Student (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 1, 2016
Very busy school. International student gives great exposure to different cultures. Library open 24-7 for available study and research. Library has cafe, and vending machine. So much to learn, and professors are good with providing information.
Pros
Great exposure to different cultures.
Cons
Can be over stimulating for introverted people.
Coworkers Who Become Family
Undergraduate Student Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 7, 2016
In academia it's not typical for coworkers to become close but at USC Columbia this is normal. A typical day at work includes coming in a little early so you can chat with coworkers, getting to the office a few minutes early so you can open the office without rushing, checking emails, meeting with students/staff/faculty, eating lunch (1 hour lunch breaks), checking emails, more meetings, meeting with coworkers after work as you walk to your cars together.

Sometimes the day can be very stressful because if you are good at your job you may end up with more and more tasks than you signed up for. Take this as a compliment and ask for help when needed. That said, no two days are identical and that makes for a fun and challenging work place.
Pros
hour long lunches, friendly coworkers
Cons
lots of tasks, no set routine
Getting to use organizational and customer service skills
Parking Booth Attendant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 29, 2016
This position requires my constant supervision of available parking spaces and monitoring parked vehicles for illegal parking, The space is very limited so when the garage becomes full I put out a sign to let people know. When a car leaves, I go to the entrance and let in as many as there are spaces for. This can sometimes be somewhat taxing as the entrance and exit are located on opposite sides of the building, but I do enjoy the exercise.
Pros
Decent pay and I am always happy to work any overtime
Cons
Does not include full benifits for temporary employees
Fun workplace at a different college
Marine Biology Internship (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 27, 2016
A typical work day involved sorting fish eggs from the Gulf of Mexico. Each egg needed a measurement, a photo, and an extraction of DNA. That determined the type of fish egg which resulted in knowing what type of fish were in the Gulf of Mexico. Although this internship lasted only 3 months, I was able to learn how to do research and how to interact with my mentors and other student interns. My overall experience at USC was the best and I'd love to do an intern there again!
Pros
Free living expenses and food plans
Cons
The amount of time it lasted
A higher education institution is a rewarding environment to work in.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 16, 2016
I have not had the opportunity for advancement in my department and have a multitude of administrative experience. I have shown management that I am fully capable of performing complex tasks, as well as assisting in implementing and learning new computer software for the university.

Management has not shown their willingness to upgrade/reward employees for their hard work and going the extra mile.
Pros
Professional Development courses, Exercise facilities, Enroll in one free class per semester
Cons
Salary is not commensurate with my abilities
Great Learning Experience
Consultant (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaFebruary 2, 2016
Worked with various companies and my classmates to provide value added consulting services.

I learned a lot from both my co-workers and my clients - problem solving, communication skills, time management and money management.
Productive work place
Paid Internship (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 29, 2016
Great place to work with many opportunities for career building within the company. Also has a consistent high quality expectation on its products and its employees.
As a graduate student, I have a lot of freedom
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 30, 2015
It is a typical graduate research assistant job. I a lot of your experience depends on your professor. I got a pretty good one. If you own a grand for your research, you have a lot more freedom from your professor, which would be nice.
Pros
Tuition is paid for
Cons
Professors want a lot from you for a relatively low pay
It was what it was
Biomedical Engineering Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 24, 2015
research assistant, grad student, engineering. I had a nice office, great professors. I would recommend it to anybody willing to work hard in a good atmosphere.
Productive Learning Environment
Chemist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 30, 2015
A very calm environment that promotes learning. The Professor i conducted research under was the smartest person i have ever met. Answered any questions that were asked, and always had an answer. The people i conducted research with were very helpful and great at teaching laboratory techniques.
Pros
Great research group
Cons
Old laboratory equipment could cause set backs at time
good place to be
Information Consultant II (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 8, 2015
Being around young people who is a bout to start college always made me push myself to learn new things and aspire to be better.
Most of my career and business successes were acquired while at the University of South Carolina.
director of human resources (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 6, 2015
Although managing the day-to-day operations of the USC School of Medicine's Department of Human Resources was challenging and sometimes stressful, I treasured the job. Being a people person, I felt appreciated and respected by my co-workers (faculty and staff) and employees. The hardest part of the job was guiding a supervisor/manager through the disciplinary process and having to terminate an employee. The best part of the job was finding the perfect job for someone and knowing they were glad to be a USC School of Medicine employee.
Pros
The appreciation and support I received from the Dean and Associate Dean of the Medical School.
Cons
Seeing someone lose their job.
N/a
Program Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 5, 2015
University of SC is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. Where they are dedicated to providing students with a stimulating learning environment and where students are encouraged to work hard to achieve their goals.

4.3