University of South Carolina Employee Reviews

Slow paced work environment, with interesting research surveys.
Survey Researcher (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 15, 2016
Easy job, you don't have to work more than 12 hours a week and you create your own schedule. Some of the surveys are interesting, others need an obvious overhaul but interviewers have no control over that. Overall it works as a secondary job not primary.
Pros
You can dictate you own schedule.
Cons
The healthcare and it's boring.
Believes in professional development
First-Year Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SC 29208November 9, 2016
Strives to have great relationships with students, faculty, and staff
Young co-workers
Open-minded staff
Good leadership into the years to come
Good job to learn a lot in college
Resident Mentor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 7, 2016
It is a perfect job for college student to get knowledge of the work environment and learn skills that will make them valid candidates for future jobs.
Great Opportunity
Building Attendant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 12, 2017
*Great Atmosphere
*Awesome Management
*Adequate Training
*Great Scheduling
*Fun workers
*Opportunity for Career advancements
Great people to work with
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 15, 2016
Everyone at the University of South Carolina is engaging, excited about their jobs, and inclusive of new members of the community.
Good places
Lab Manager/Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 6, 2016
Good places for PhD level scientists to be a professor or researcher. Friendly job culture. Colleagues are usually humble.
Laid back atmosphere with good pay for students
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 10, 2016
USC is good about taking care of its students, including good paying on campus jobs. There is a relaxed atmosphere to work in as everyone knows you are a student.
utility clerk
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 28, 2016
worked front line, back of the house, prepped and prepared food, unloaded trucks, cooked on the the front line and I also worked in all areas of gamecock park
Pros
lots of work
Cons
n/a
Workplace that encouraged learning and improvement on circuit design and construction
Teaching Assistant/Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 29, 2017
As a TA and lab assistant a typical work day would involve anything from helping students work on labs that involved circuit design to working on small scale projects for orientation week or EE conventions. Working as a TA came with the responsible of describing circuit design and implementation on a deeper level that the students could understand. This could range from breaking a circuit down to the component level or showing the relationship and understanding from going from a schematic to building a small scale circuit. Working in the labs provided extra time to fully work with various sets of lab equipment including; oscilloscopes, function generators, power supplies, and digital multi-meters. The most enjoyable part of either job was the close relationship between peers and students, getting the chance to reacquaint myself with previous labs and having the chance to teach upcoming sophomores. The EE department at USC is tight community of engineering students and professors and being a part of overall system at work there truly was something I felt honored to be apart of.
Great place to work.
Reception Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 26, 2016
The University does a great job at educating our students and providing them with the tool that will help the build a great quality of life for themselves and their families and impact their communities.
Pros
May opportunities within the University.
Cons
No opportunity for advancement in my department.
A Fun Productive Place to Work
Web Technologies Researcher (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 3, 2016
Overall the University was really fun to work, but times change and the research that was being done was slowing and we were no longer really progressing as fast as I wanted it to be.
Pros
Fun, Fast Paced
Cons
Old Technolgy
Very good work enviroment
Fiscal Technician IV (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 15, 2016
Getting my job done to the best of my ability..
Learning everything that possible to make sure job well done
Working in a good environment.. Co-workers were great
Depends on...
Student Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 27, 2016
It was an overall rewarding experience. Work can become routine-like and boring at times. little to no-room for advancement.

Good benefits and flexible time (again, depends on the department).

People are generally really friendly and great to work with.
Pros
Benefits, work-life balance, beautiful campus.
Cons
no room for advancement, bureaucratic
Really good people that are poorly managed.
Functional Lead on implementation of TAM/CG (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 20, 2016
Really good people that are poorly managed. Conflict between the business of Education and the Presentation of Education.
Great Place to get an education
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 27, 2016
Great school and staff. Was given ample opportunities to further my career and education. The staff was always readily available to assist me in achieving my goals and helping ensure my success.
This is a University, and it is a good place to work, as well as attend school
Virtual Student (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 1, 2016
Very busy school. International student gives great exposure to different cultures. Library open 24-7 for available study and research. Library has cafe, and vending machine. So much to learn, and professors are good with providing information.
Pros
Great exposure to different cultures.
Cons
Can be over stimulating for introverted people.
Low Pay and now room for growth
Senior Applications Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 18, 2016
If I had other options, I would not have taken this job. The pay is low, parking is horrible, and the hiring process is a nightmare.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Parking is horrible and expensive, the pay is low, and the hiring process is ridiculously long.
Good work experience.
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 5, 2016
Excellent University in beautiful location. Columbia, SC is a great place. USC staff very professional. I have nothing else to say.
Pros
Good work location
Cons
Low pay
Getting to use organizational and customer service skills
Parking Booth Attendant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 29, 2016
This position requires my constant supervision of available parking spaces and monitoring parked vehicles for illegal parking, The space is very limited so when the garage becomes full I put out a sign to let people know. When a car leaves, I go to the entrance and let in as many as there are spaces for. This can sometimes be somewhat taxing as the entrance and exit are located on opposite sides of the building, but I do enjoy the exercise.
Pros
Decent pay and I am always happy to work any overtime
Cons
Does not include full benifits for temporary employees
Fun workplace at a different college
Marine Biology Internship (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 27, 2016
A typical work day involved sorting fish eggs from the Gulf of Mexico. Each egg needed a measurement, a photo, and an extraction of DNA. That determined the type of fish egg which resulted in knowing what type of fish were in the Gulf of Mexico. Although this internship lasted only 3 months, I was able to learn how to do research and how to interact with my mentors and other student interns. My overall experience at USC was the best and I'd love to do an intern there again!
Pros
Free living expenses and food plans
Cons
The amount of time it lasted

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of South Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3