University of South Carolina

University of South Carolina Employer Reviews

Arden B
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, SCFebruary 20, 2014
Good retail job but because prices are so high, business was very slow at times.
Good Experinece
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, SCFebruary 18, 2014
I had a chance to work with friendly co-workers and great professors with great opportunities to work as an independent researcher.
Fun workplace
BOOKSTORE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Salkehatchie, SCFebruary 10, 2014
In the mornings I would fix the coffee, then stock the drinks. I would answer questions about books and some classes. I would talk to the customers about their day, or what they needed to do to register for classes. My co-workers were awesome. We would rotate who would have to get the books at the beginning of the semester.
Running a fraternity house is definately a handful
Housing Director/Kitchen Manager (Current Employee), Columbia, SCFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: free housing, meals, cable, internet, healthcare, paid vacation and sick leave
Cons: long hours, tons of health and safety considerations
Got a chance to work with upcoming students and help to guide them in their academic as well as social development. Working about 80hrs per week and on call 24/7 but good amount of time off to recharge batteries on school holidays, winter and summer breaks. Have worked with the same staff for almost 11 years and they are well trained and willing to – more... put forth a ton of extra effort. Decent benefits because it is a state job and comes with housing, cable, internet, but the pay is not really that great. – less
Great TA Position
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 24, 2014
It's a lot of work - going to class, and homework - but it's challenging and we're given all the tools to succeed.
Repetitive/degrading. Do not recommend.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: if you are permanent, the state benefits
Cons: low wage, no room for advancement, lack of respect from management
I can not say that I like to work for USC Columbia. I was brought in as a temp hire expecting there to be some sort of movement after the first year, but I have not had an opportunity to do so. I also did not receive any raise to my wage after the first year despite being an hourly worker with no benefits. The only way to move in the system is to know – more... someone at the top well and just move laterally. The work feels trivial and unnecessarily repetitive. Despite assisting several of my co-workers and supervisors on tasks they were assigned to do, I am still treated as I were an intern and no clue what I am doing. I do not recommend working for USC Columbia unless you already know a Director or you simply NEED a job. – less
Educational atmosphere with knowledgable staff
Student Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Aiken, SCJanuary 13, 2014
A typical day of work was making sure that campus computers were up to date and troubleshooting any software issues that may occur.

I learned many different programming styles and gained knowledge of different operating systems.

Management was relaxed allowing me to work and learn at a steady pace.

My co-workers were helpful and supportive.

The – more... hardest part of the job was prioritizing which task needed to be completed first.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of satisfaction after successfully completing an arduous assignment. – less
Fun and laid back setting
Student Employee (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 7, 2014
As a student employee I was able to communicate with University staff, students, and visitors. I enjoyed this work very much. I was required to answer phones, deliver mail, and handle other administrative paper work.
excellent
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Allendale, SCDecember 29, 2013
Pros: dedication
great company
set schedule
excellent people person skills
very kind
hard work pays off at this company
FUN WORK PLACE
Assistant Shuttle Operations Coordinator (Current Employee), Columbia, SCDecember 4, 2013
WE ALL WORK TOGETHER AS A TEAM TO GET THE JOB DONE.
I'VE LEARN HOW TO COMMUNICATE, COMPUTERS ALL CLERICAL STUFF. SOMETIMES HARD TO WORK WITH BUT I MANAGE IT AND GET MY JOB DONE.MY CO-WORKERS ARE VERY EASY TO WORK WITH WE ALL GET ALONG. FINDING DRIVERS TO FILL MY TRIPS. GETTING TO KNOW NEW PEOPLE THE ONES THAT REQUEST OUR BUSES FOR TRIPS.
Projects assigned during curriculam
Projects (Former Employee), Columbia, SCOctober 23, 2013
Had to project with team members. Lot was learned using the software to design the dry cask for storage of spent fuel.
Educational institution with talented people and professional environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, SCOctober 9, 2013
The teachers and administration in the School of Music are generally personable and helpful.
My time of instruction and assistance there received much helpful support and guidance.
Great starter job
Digital Darkroom Technician (Former Employee), Beaufort, SCOctober 6, 2013
Pros: up-to-date equipment
Cons: not always populated
A typical day at work consisted of helping people with more than just how navigate the programs, it also consisted of collaborating to help in the design process of their work. It was a great experience to be able to work with people and learn more about what sparks creativity.
Priductive and fun workplace
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, SCSeptember 27, 2013
Power electronics group at USC is very active and productive.
Great Learning experience
Assistive Technologist (Former Employee), Aiken, SCSeptember 3, 2013
Meet a lot of useful people that can help you along the way. They are always there to help one as needed.
Graduate Student
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Columbia, SCAugust 15, 2013
Good job atmosphere, pushed hard to publish papers. Worked about 55 hours a week.
A great place to work in a close knit atmosphere
Math Tutor (Current Employee), Columbia, SCAugust 13, 2013
Tutor high school students in various math subjects. Great to be a counselor to the students and give them that extra push and along with helpful advice.
Good circumstances to work!
Linguistics Research Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, SCAugust 11, 2013
Pros: good people and management comfortable for employees.
Cons: a little low payment!
There are many open minded people in working with. I enjoyed working with them at this school.
Trademark and Licensing
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJuly 1, 2013
Approved and disapproved any product with any University of South Carolina logo or verbiage.
Data entry
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Columbia, SCMay 13, 2013
Pros: paid every week
Cons: too many lay offs
surveying over the phone for different research things such as DHEC and SCDOT.