University of South Carolina

University of South Carolina Employee Reviews

Employee (Former Employee), Columbia, SCMarch 5, 2015
Many opportunities and areas to work. Great place to start and work up to a mid-level position. Offers a number of professional development opportunities to their employees.
Wages are low (below market), employees have to pay for parking, and a huge lack of diversity
Assistant Warehouse Manager (Current Employee), Columbia, SCFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: tuition assistance - one class per semester
Cons: don't make enough to buy books regardless of tuition assistance
Within the academic support/student affairs division and facilities management division, it's required that the administrative employees and the office support staff have at least a bachelor's degree; however, the salaries offered to the them range from $26,000 to $32,000 per year. Cronyism is a huge issue at the University of South Carolina, as this is the South and the good ole boy network is still in effect. The trades specialist are not required to have any type of trade certifications; therefore, the University can get away with staffing a large number of general maintenance/trades employees and pay them extremely low wages.
GREAT GRADUATE EDUCATION SYSTEM
Ph.D. and Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 29, 2015
At USC, I have been trained to be an experienced fuel cell researcher. My project “Development of Ultra-low Pt Loading Hybrid Cathode Catalyst for PEM fuel cells” funded by U.S. Department of Energy gave me strong skills in the areas of support and catalyst synthesis and optimization, material characterizations, fuel cell performance and stability testing, and data analysis.
Fine
Adunct Faculty (Current Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 23, 2015
Fine. Research and develop electrical technical products.
Busy schedule
Administrative Specialist II/Fiscal Technician II (Current Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 20, 2015
The day to day operations of my job is busy because I purchase for the whole college. My co-workers make the job enjoyable because I like assisting others.
Good company
Call Center Representative (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: talking to clients, flexable work hours.
Cons: short breaks, health care options
Constant monitoring by the supervisors and the state due to the criteria set by the state. The hardest part is adhering to rules and the most enjoyable part was the interacting with the state residents. I learned computer skills, interactions with people and patience.
Good University
Language Instructor (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: university
Very pleasant workplace. French program was interesting and challenging for all the right reasons. Good sequencing of courses. Excellent students. Beautiful campus. Great tens of professors and instructors.
I appreciate that they offer me this job to cover my tuition fee.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Columbia, SCDecember 22, 2014
I work very well with my professor, help his review articles, translate paper, write invitation letter, and do advertisement.
Enormous Learning Experience
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, SCDecember 19, 2014
Pros: friendly co-workers
Cons: temporary position
I learned a lot while working a this establishment. The job was intended to pay a portion of my college tuition.
Internship provided experience to prepare me for profesional challenges in Higher Education
Resident Hall Director (Former Employee), Columbia, SCDecember 8, 2014
Pros: expierence proved vital in preparation for career in higher education
Cons: demanding workload
Managed a student living environment, was difficult at times to balance with coursework.
Advocacy
Enrichment Coordinator/Instructor (Current Employee), Columbia, SCDecember 8, 2014
I do advocacy work with the greatest staff ever in TRiO. We provide services for first-generation low-income students in high poverty areas. We are a college access program and we love serving the youth.
Volunteer Position
Archaeology Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, SCNovember 18, 2014
Pros: it was only for about 2 hours a day.
Cons: it was not paid.
This volunteer opportunity for one of the professors in my department was great for learning about the process of archaeological research. I worked in the lab cleaning minor things from the site and spent time extensively organizing them.
Excessive Research Opportunities
International Cultural Liaison (Volunteer) (Current Employee), Columbia, SCNovember 13, 2014
Interesting People
Educational environment
friendly work environment
Management was OK
Pefect Graduate Assistant Position
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Columbia, SCNovember 11, 2014
This is the perfect graduate assistant position because it gives you real world experience while you are still in school. You are treated like a staff member, not a paper pusher.
comfortable working relationship
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Columbia, SCNovember 8, 2014
Pros: flexible working time
Collecting and organizing data is sometimes boring but really helpful for data analysis which is necessary for professors' research. As a master student majoring in accountancy, this job requires me to process the work with professional due care.
Nice place to work
Administrative Coordinator I (Current Employee), Columbia, South CarolinaNovember 5, 2014
Pros: benefits, family friendly
Cons: management not career path oriented
Very good work enviroment, not much room for advancement. i enjoy working for the University of South Carolina its a good family oriented enviroment with good benefits.
Great For Students
Resident Mentor, University Housing (Former Employee), Columbia, SCOctober 26, 2014
Being a Resident Mentor was one of the greatest things I could have done during my time in college. I got to work with incoming freshmen and was able to provide the resources they would need to help them better their time at school.

Working with freshmen was equally stressful, because they are always ready to party and sometimes took it overboard. But my job required me to be on alert for any situations that may turn into a crisis and how to avoid these situations. I was able to educate myself as well as my residents about the dangers that come along with excessive alcohol and drug use.

It was a great job, I was able to work, go to class, and still have plenty of time to go to the gym and socialize. It looks good on your resume as well. It is not a glamorous job, but it pays decently and you learn how to live and interact with people from all walks of life.
Great research opportunity, less related to industry
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, SCOctober 6, 2014
Pros: hard-working people
Cons: less job opportunities in small cities
Great Professors and research opportunities. Yet as for my major, the programs are less related to industrial application.
summary
Fiscal Tech II (Current Employee), Allendale, SCSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: state job
Great place to work. Meet new people everyday. Working in higher education atmosphere. Several new challenges everyday!
When school was in session, was very busy.
Academic Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Bluffton, SCSeptember 21, 2014
This is a great place to work and the people are really nice. When the students were in session, it was quite busy, as they were in need of there professors, and helped arrange with them to either email the professor or try to locate them or help them in any way that I could.

I have learned a lot more patience as when things do not go right with a student they get flustered and upset. I try to calm them and help them take care of their problem.

Management was always there with a helping hand.

My co-workers were always there to help in any way that they could.

The hardest part of the job at times were the clashing personalities, however, I do have a lot of patience, and would just smile and try to smooth the edges.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working with all the people. Whenever you needed a helping had someone was always there to help you.

University of South Carolina Salaries