University of South Carolina Employee Reviews in United States

A great place to work!
Master Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 11, 2015
On a daily basis, I come in to work and process requests through our shared email account for the Scheduling Department of the Registrar's Office. I have wonderful colleagues that are supportive and helpful whenever needed. I love my boss. She is always on the ball and creates a comfortable atmosphere in our office. I think the hardest part of the job is getting a permanent position on this team. Overall, I believe this is one of the best places to work in South Carolina!
Pros
benefits for temporary employees
Cons
not getting paid for required days off
Productive learning environment
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Columbia, South CarolinaSeptember 26, 2015
Enjoyed interacting with peers everyday. Was able to complete my homework while working. Manager was very helpful and enjoyable to be around. Learned how to critique resumes and help others seek jobs in the workforce.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Short shifts
Working Atmosphere
Night Asst. Building Facility Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 1, 2015
The management did not create a working atmosphere that was pleasant for all people. They did not treat everyone equal or fair based on your work ethics and experience.
When school was in session, was very busy.
Academic Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, SCSeptember 21, 2014
This is a great place to work and the people are really nice. When the students were in session, it was quite busy, as they were in need of there professors, and helped arrange with them to either email the professor or try to locate them or help them in any way that I could.

I have learned a lot more patience as when things do not go right with a student they get flustered and upset. I try to calm them and help them take care of their problem.

Management was always there with a helping hand.

My co-workers were always there to help in any way that they could.

The hardest part of the job at times were the clashing personalities, however, I do have a lot of patience, and would just smile and try to smooth the edges.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working with all the people. Whenever you needed a helping had someone was always there to help you.
Productive Work place
Undergraduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 18, 2015
It was a great place to work and the management were very understanding and they taught me a lot of things.

I learned a lot of things that would be very useful for my next job
Pros
Interrative Learning
Cons
Good job for a graduate art student
BEGINNING CERAMICS GRADUATE INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 25, 2015
This was the position I had for my assistantship in graduate school. The pay wasn't great, but helped with the bills. Balancing this position and my studies was a little difficult, but everyone who was teaching this course shared projects to make the load a little easier.
Kind and open coworkers; wonderful environment
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaufort, SCMay 13, 2015
I love working here. The other staff members do their best to make sure that the student workers are all happy and well taken care of. Everyone is so nice to each other to the point that a family atmosphere is easily attainable. If someone is not happy then the other members notice quickly and try to help.

The work we get is generally from professors or students looking to make a video for the purpose of promoting a class/club or informing others about a lesson or social topic. This is not to say that the work cannot be time consuming and/or difficult, but it makes it all the more enjoyable.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that when the student or professor gets their finished production and the look of wonder and amazement on their faces. While putting in the work and endlessly wondering and hoping that it turns out alright, the recipient is utterly happy about the entire product.
Pros
enjoyable atmosphere
professional and up-to-date unit to work in with residents, fellows and med students
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SC at MUSC;July 14, 2015
The Developmental Peds and Behavioral Department are experts in their field. Wonderful and complete staff; caring for a variety of needy patients and parental teaching. Always up-to-date with newest medications, tests and treatments.
Pros
amazing assortment of loving children
Cons
incredible, lengthy electronic charting
Peer Tutor while attending college full-time
Accounting Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, SCSeptember 16, 2012
I helped students achieve academic excellence in accounting courses. I developed so many great skills that have helped me in my professional career, such as presentation skills, public speaking, learning to adapt your approach to different types of learners, and managing time. The manager was awesome and really encouraged all the tutor to focus on their studies first, their wellness second, and the students they tutor third. My co-workers were mostly full-time college students. I enjoy teaching others and helping them achieve academic success, plus I tutored a subject area I love, accounting.
Pros
flexible work schedule, flexible hours, great manager, great people, great learning experience, great for full-time college students
Cons
challenge to appeal to everyone who needs your help
Productive and fun place to work
College Student (Current Employee) –  columbia, south carolinaMay 25, 2015
Very educational. Gained a great amount of real life work experience that I will be able to utilize in future jobs/careers.
Great University!
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 12, 2012
Worked in a lab. I learned lab techniques and organization. Management was instrumental in my career development. Co-workers were nice. The hardest part was finding time to study. The most enjoyable part was sampling.
Small data lab
Geophysical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 22, 2015
Spent a lot of time entering data, or digitizing map and seismic data from the 70's. People were fun to work with and there was always something that needed to be done.
State Government
Fiscal Analyst I/Accountant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 25, 2013
I love the flexibility but it is government and the opportunity for advancement is not great unless you totally change jobs. They do not give too many raises either.
Pros
great flexibility
Cons
low pay
Productive, innovation driven work environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 4, 2015
Working as part of team of graduate students that innovates in the areas of hydrothermal and flux crystals growth for the synthesis of new oxide and hybrid materials has been very enriching.
Great University for Research Students
Research Assistant - Forensic Analytical Chemistry (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 7, 2015
USC is an exceptional place for graduate and undergraduate level research experience! There are many research topic choices and the faculty are open to working with one-another and are willing to give advice whether you are their student or not.
Educational atmosphere with knowledgable staff
Student Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCJanuary 13, 2014
A typical day of work was making sure that campus computers were up to date and troubleshooting any software issues that may occur.

I learned many different programming styles and gained knowledge of different operating systems.

Management was relaxed allowing me to work and learn at a steady pace.

My co-workers were helpful and supportive.

The hardest part of the job was prioritizing which task needed to be completed first.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of satisfaction after successfully completing an arduous assignment.
Good Infrastructure and mentorship
Graduate Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 10, 2014
Serving as the Graduate Instructional Assistant was an enriching experience for me. I learned a lot about teaching, lab management, curriculum design, exam conduct and student management. I was under a very capable management and mentorship. The working hours were manageable. My co-workers were very helpful and I enjoyed a friendly environment. The hardest part of the job was preparation of the lab classes. I really enjoyed teaching the students and helping them with their studies.
Productive environment
Facility Service Custodian (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 19, 2015
Work was productive daily, friendly staff and the hours were great. I enjoyed working at my steady pace and helping other employees complete tasks if I finished early which was usually on a daily basis.
Limited, flexible hours for graduate students.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 1, 2015
For graduate assistantship, 7.5 hours/week. Will have a faculty member to assist. They are usually flexible on when you complete your hours (which day of the week, splitting days). Only con is the lack of communication on when duties end for holidays and end of the school year which can cause confusion about pay.
Perfect working place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 22, 2015
As a research assistant, I have stayed here for over four years. Every one is nice and friendly. I really enjoy working and life here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of South Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3