University of South Carolina

University of South Carolina Employer Reviews

Teacher's Assistant/Adjunct Professor
Teacher's Assistant/Adjunct Professor (Former Employee), Columbia, SCFebruary 5, 2013
Helped with teaching a Catering Class at USCL. Then followed with teaching Event Planning after graduation.
Nice place to pursue my PhD degree
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, SCFebruary 5, 2013
Pros: safe
Cons: health insurance
Very advanced and professional labs
Nice working environment
study here, live here
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 29, 2013
Study here. Live here. Good small city.
Learned research skills in USC.
Good football.
Great Atmosphere
Studio Manager and Lab Monitor (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 27, 2013
Great job! Laid back and down time to do homework. Help students. I learned to know everything about printmaking because students can ask you the craziest things. Co-workers were nice.
State Government
Fiscal Analyst I/Accountant (Current Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 25, 2013
Pros: great flexibility
Cons: low pay
I love the flexibility but it is government and the opportunity for advancement is not great unless you totally change jobs. They do not give too many raises either.
It's a fun place to work !
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 7, 2013
Pros: it's very comfortable work environments, everyone is friendly.
I come in do my work and leave. I have learned alot of specialized techniques that I can use to find me a career that I will love. My co-workers are very helpful. The hardest part of my job is when an experiment that I put so much time and effort in doesn't work. The most enjoyable part about my job is when an experiment that I put so much time and – more... effort in does work ! – less
A day in a Residence hall at USC
Desk Assistant for the Housing Department of USC (Current Employee), East Quad Residence HallDecember 26, 2012
Pros: you are allowed to bring your computer and cell phone to work
Cons: very hard to get hours. at the most i get 8 hours on one paycheck
I typically work anywhere from 2-6 hours on a shift. I go in, sign my time sheet and sit at the desk and basically answer any questions my residents might have. My boss is the Resident Life Coordinator and has an office right next to mine. Any questions I cannot answer will be referred to him. My co-workers are other desk assistants as well as Resident – more... Mentors who live in the Residence Halls with the students. The hardest part of the job is dealing with unruly visitors who don't want to abide by building rules. The most enjoyable part is knowing that my residents value me as an employee and have no problem approaching me with any questions or concerns – less
Chemical engineering is good
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Columbia, SCDecember 16, 2012
I worked as a research associate in the department of chemical engineering.My experience there was invaluable as I was able to work with some of the most renown people in the industry.
decent job during college if you have the time.
Resident Mentor (Current Employee), Columbia, SCDecember 11, 2012
Pros: half off housing, quarter off meal plan
Cons: instability, working with a high number of freshmen.
Working for University Housing has been a different experience every day. Personally, I like stability, so it was not for me, but there is much to learn and experience as a Resident Mentor for the university.
Excellent Unviersity
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, SCNovember 4, 2012
A dynamic and fun place to learn and work. The University is situated in downtown Columbia so there is a lot to do in the area.
Good work environment, self reliant
Teacher lab assistant (Former Employee), Aiken, SCNovember 1, 2012
a day at work required that you take care of the animals and prep all labs for the professors and help during the time of classes. I learn the responsibilities of being self reliant and working well with lab equipment. I enjoyed working with the professors and helping students with their questions.
Great University!
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, SCOctober 12, 2012
Worked in a lab. I learned lab techniques and organization. Management was instrumental in my career development. Co-workers were nice. The hardest part was finding time to study. The most enjoyable part was sampling.
Opportuntites
Career Peer Educator (Current Employee), Columbia, SCOctober 11, 2012
The opportunites presented to me through the University have been substantial. I am able to hear about plenty of job opportunties and go forth to achieve them.
Exciting work environment with excellent co-workers.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Columbia, SCOctober 8, 2012
My job as research assistant has allowed me to work on a variety of economic reports ranging from impact analysis on a local business incubator to a study on the clean energy industry in South Carolina. It has also allowed me to gain valuable experience using statistical analysis packages such as IMPLAN and STATA.
Productive and fun workplace
PhD candidate (Former Employee), Columbia SCSeptember 27, 2012
Great management, and high level research

Great location with nice weather.
Peer Tutor while attending college full-time
Accounting Peer Tutor (Former Employee), Bluffton, SCSeptember 16, 2012
Pros: flexible work schedule, flexible hours, great manager, great people, great learning experience, great for full-time college students
Cons: challenge to appeal to everyone who needs your help
I helped students achieve academic excellence in accounting courses. I developed so many great skills that have helped me in my professional career, such as presentation skills, public speaking, learning to adapt your approach to different types of learners, and managing time. The manager was awesome and really encouraged all the tutor to focus on their – more... studies first, their wellness second, and the students they tutor third. My co-workers were mostly full-time college students. I enjoy teaching others and helping them achieve academic success, plus I tutored a subject area I love, accounting. – less
Great place to study and experience.
Graphic Designer and writer (Former Employee), Columbia, SCSeptember 11, 2012
I love the university and professors and staff are friendly and accessible.
Great place to work.
Senior Financial Aid Assistant (Former Employee), Lancaster, SCJune 20, 2012
Pros: everything
Wonderful people to work for and work with. Very understanding. A typical day at work was helping many students with their financial aid to attend college. There really wasn't anything hard about this job and everything was enjoyable.....well, with the exception of filing for 1600 students.
Fun working environment
Peer Counselor (Former Employee), Columbia, SCMay 12, 2012
Supervisor allowed leeway in how we handled job duties. Learned how to handle difficult students.
A challanging place to work
Director of Columbia's Cooking! (Current Employee), Columbia, SCApril 4, 2012
Pros: the work is very enjoyable
Cons: no opportunity for pay raise, no advancement with in the department, work load is out of balance, basic administrative support is lacking, no goal setting or reviews with management
Duties vary from teaching nutritionally focused culinary classes to research on the link between diet and health. Working with students to expose them to the feild of dietetics is very rewarding. Research into health benefits of foods as it relates to cancer and chronic disease prevention is fascinating.