University of South Carolina Employee Reviews in United States

Good Infrastructure and mentorship
Graduate Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 10, 2014
Serving as the Graduate Instructional Assistant was an enriching experience for me. I learned a lot about teaching, lab management, curriculum design, exam conduct and student management. I was under a very capable management and mentorship. The working hours were manageable. My co-workers were very helpful and I enjoyed a friendly environment. The hardest part of the job was preparation of the lab classes. I really enjoyed teaching the students and helping them with their studies.
Good experience
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 25, 2014
Every week I give lectures to students, answer their questions after class, reply emails from students regarding different situations and questions, set up dropbox for them to submit assignments, and grade part of the exams.

I keep trying to improve my teaching and making the tough concepts easier for the students to understand, by giving examples, draw pictures and so on. I have 3 or 4 Ph.D. students help me with grading and answering questions from the students in the lab. I communicate with them time to time to understand what parts are difficult for the students to understand. The hardest part is to get all this working smoothly and ensure the students understand what's taught in the class.
Volunteer Position
Archaeology Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 18, 2014
This volunteer opportunity for one of the professors in my department was great for learning about the process of archaeological research. I worked in the lab cleaning minor things from the site and spent time extensively organizing them.
Pros
it was only for about 2 hours a day.
Cons
it was not paid.
Great school and excellent professors
Teacher Student Assistant/Research at SRS (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCApril 21, 2014
At USCA, I was required to maintain the animal lab, greenhouse, and be a teacher student assistant. I had learn a great deal with lab equipment and and and the proper techniques, also I learned how to be independent on task and make sure everything was going accordingly. The job was enjoyable and i have no complaints, I enjoyed working with the animal, plants, and students.
Running a fraternity house is definately a handful
Housing Director/Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 2, 2014
Got a chance to work with upcoming students and help to guide them in their academic as well as social development. Working about 80hrs per week and on call 24/7 but good amount of time off to recharge batteries on school holidays, winter and summer breaks. Have worked with the same staff for almost 11 years and they are well trained and willing to put forth a ton of extra effort. Decent benefits because it is a state job and comes with housing, cable, internet, but the pay is not really that great.
Pros
free housing, meals, cable, internet, healthcare, paid vacation and sick leave
Cons
long hours, tons of health and safety considerations
Educational atmosphere with knowledgable staff
Student Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCJanuary 13, 2014
A typical day of work was making sure that campus computers were up to date and troubleshooting any software issues that may occur.

I learned many different programming styles and gained knowledge of different operating systems.

Management was relaxed allowing me to work and learn at a steady pace.

My co-workers were helpful and supportive.

The hardest part of the job was prioritizing which task needed to be completed first.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of satisfaction after successfully completing an arduous assignment.
A challanging place to work
Director of Columbia's Cooking! (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 4, 2012
Duties vary from teaching nutritionally focused culinary classes to research on the link between diet and health. Working with students to expose them to the feild of dietetics is very rewarding. Research into health benefits of foods as it relates to cancer and chronic disease prevention is fascinating.
Pros
the work is very enjoyable
Cons
no opportunity for pay raise, no advancement with in the department, work load is out of balance, basic administrative support is lacking, no goal setting or reviews with management
Great Place to Work
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 13, 2013
USC-Columbia is a great place to work if you want the city life environment, but you don't want to feel overwhelm by it. The administration is okay, it can be very bureaucratic at times. Each department operates within its own culture, which is great. As an employee of the School of Library and Information Science, it is leading the charge in many new initiatives across campus. The most enjoyable part of my job is teaching students to think critically and become life-long learners.
Challenging and productive place
Statistics consultant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 11, 2013
I took a comprehensive range of courses in my last three years and now I am working on dissertation research. Those courses laid a solid foundation for knowledge in both theoretical and many application fields, especially biomedical sciences. My research trained me to learn by myself and to innovate upon existing methodologies. Besides research and study, I enjoy my job: teach Statistics class and cooperate with researchers in the consultant lab. The hardest part of my experience here is research and yet fruitful as it turned out. Overall, I appreciate the much experience I have acquired here.
Fun and intersting job with amazing co workers
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 13, 2013
At the University of South Carolina Moving Image Research Collections, I performed two jobs. I identified, inspected, and repaired film reels, and I recorded information on the content of the films and created records for each item. I also performed Colorist duties which included transferring and capturing film to digital formats, building timelines using video editing software, and creating access copies.
It's a fun place to work !
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 7, 2013
I come in do my work and leave. I have learned alot of specialized techniques that I can use to find me a career that I will love. My co-workers are very helpful. The hardest part of my job is when an experiment that I put so much time and effort in doesn't work. The most enjoyable part about my job is when an experiment that I put so much time and effort in does work !
Pros
it's very comfortable work environments, everyone is friendly.
Great place to work not enough pay
Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 14, 2015
This is a peer tutoring position for students at the school. This has a good environment with friendly coworkers and supervisors. Great place for a college job.
comfortable working relationship
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 8, 2014
Collecting and organizing data is sometimes boring but really helpful for data analysis which is necessary for professors' research. As a master student majoring in accountancy, this job requires me to process the work with professional due care.
Pros
flexible working time
good learning environment
Student (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 17, 2015
go to school, learn, have lunch , visit with friends . do the homework, then go home not a company. this is a school. the teachers are good and the subject matter is relavant
When school was in session, was very busy.
Academic Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, SCSeptember 21, 2014
This is a great place to work and the people are really nice. When the students were in session, it was quite busy, as they were in need of there professors, and helped arrange with them to either email the professor or try to locate them or help them in any way that I could.

I have learned a lot more patience as when things do not go right with a student they get flustered and upset. I try to calm them and help them take care of their problem.

Management was always there with a helping hand.

My co-workers were always there to help in any way that they could.

The hardest part of the job at times were the clashing personalities, however, I do have a lot of patience, and would just smile and try to smooth the edges.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working with all the people. Whenever you needed a helping had someone was always there to help you.
Internship provided experience to prepare me for profesional challenges in Higher Education
Resident Hall Director (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 8, 2014
Managed a student living environment, was difficult at times to balance with coursework.
Pros
expierence proved vital in preparation for career in higher education
Cons
demanding workload
Exciting and professional place to work in an academic environment
Assistant Director/Studio Classroom Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SC 29208June 3, 2014
University is an enjoyable place to work.

I have learned the principles and skill sets of becoming an more affluent manager.

Management here is encouraging and supportive of development.

My coworkers are/were simply awesome to work with...we all felt like a extended family.
A day in a Residence hall at USC
Desk Assistant for the Housing Department of USC (Current Employee) –  East Quad Residence HallDecember 26, 2012
I typically work anywhere from 2-6 hours on a shift. I go in, sign my time sheet and sit at the desk and basically answer any questions my residents might have. My boss is the Resident Life Coordinator and has an office right next to mine. Any questions I cannot answer will be referred to him. My co-workers are other desk assistants as well as Resident Mentors who live in the Residence Halls with the students. The hardest part of the job is dealing with unruly visitors who don't want to abide by building rules. The most enjoyable part is knowing that my residents value me as an employee and have no problem approaching me with any questions or concerns
Pros
you are allowed to bring your computer and cell phone to work
Cons
very hard to get hours. at the most i get 8 hours on one paycheck
Good University
Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 13, 2015
Very pleasant workplace. French program was interesting and challenging for all the right reasons. Good sequencing of courses. Excellent students. Beautiful campus. Great tens of professors and instructors.
Pros
university
Peer Tutor while attending college full-time
Accounting Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, SCSeptember 16, 2012
I helped students achieve academic excellence in accounting courses. I developed so many great skills that have helped me in my professional career, such as presentation skills, public speaking, learning to adapt your approach to different types of learners, and managing time. The manager was awesome and really encouraged all the tutor to focus on their studies first, their wellness second, and the students they tutor third. My co-workers were mostly full-time college students. I enjoy teaching others and helping them achieve academic success, plus I tutored a subject area I love, accounting.
Pros
flexible work schedule, flexible hours, great manager, great people, great learning experience, great for full-time college students
Cons
challenge to appeal to everyone who needs your help

4.3