University of South Dakota Employee Reviews

great atmosphere for a sports lover
Gameday support Staff (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDJune 11, 2016
usually sell tickets hours before game time and them go to assist the ushers at the gates. Everyone in the dpepartment are very enthusiatic about the home home team and sometimes get a workout when going from door to door and helping out.
short time
Graduate Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vermillion, SDMarch 4, 2016
IT was a very short time period but come to learn about sorting the bone marrow sample swab and testing the quality of the kits.
nice place to work and fun
Graduate research assistant (Current Employee) –  Vermillion, SDJanuary 4, 2016
I like this place vey much, our instructors are very nice and are really instruct students to seek knowledge in all fields of chemistry. My co-workers are very sportive and share ideas in the meetings, the hardest part of job is to identification of drawbacks in the projects and understanding the fundamental principles of proposed mechanisms.
Pros
small town
Good all around
desk worker (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDDecember 23, 2015
A nice experience to have on a campus while taking classes. The staff was very friendly and nice to get to know. Also made for a good study time.
Pros
Quiet and studious
Teacher experience
Academic Mentor (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDDecember 6, 2015
I loved my students. This was my first time working in a dorm setting. I enjoyed the experience. Very nice library on campus.
Java Programer
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  vermillion, SDOctober 15, 2015
Main member of the Integrating the BioExtract Server with the iPlant Collaborative project group, which is sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF).
Participated in API design of the project.
Data mining and conversion from other websites’ API by using Java, Sparql, RDF.
Bioinformatics
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDAugust 15, 2015
This is the very good place to work with lovely people at the employee friendly environment. There is an excellent research team involving research in bioinformatics eagerly.
very good environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  vermillionMay 21, 2015
the work environment is good and protective . the facilities are available such as HPLC, NMR, and Mass spectrum. the benefits are helpful because the life expenses are cheap.
Exceeded My Expectations of Graduate Schools
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vermillion, SDMarch 11, 2015
I could not be happier with my experience at the University of South Dakota. I immediately fell in love with the town of Vermillion and the laid-back feel of the campus. The class sizes are small, even the lecture classes, and the professors are top-notch. I cannot even begin to explain how grateful I am to this institution.
Bad
Defensive Line Coach (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDNovember 5, 2014
Bad working environment. Stagnate work place. Very high hours for virtually no pay. Not truthful about advancement opportunities.
Wonderful job with great people to work with
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDMarch 8, 2014
My graduate assistantship was a simple job with many tasks to be filled. My hours were as I created them but could not exceed 40. I was asked to help with projects to benefit the school in their expansion in going to division 1. I filed paperwork and files away on a daily basis to keep the office organized. The university is striving to be a green campus, which involves the offices to be electronic. In helping the campus become electronic, I took part in scanning multiple files into the system. I had to learn how to use datatel, which is the campus' way of tracking all the students they've had. I enjoyed working with the people in the office, all are very friendly and willing to help when help is needed. The best part of the job was being able to be goofy with my co-workers but still remained productive.
Pros
Simple job
Cons
Tedious work
Fantastic Research Focus
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDFebruary 18, 2014
The GEAR Center with USD is where research happens. The environment allows students to flourish in their research.
Very fun work environment, but can be a lot of work
Community Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDJanuary 8, 2014
This is a great job for developing a lot of skills, especially social.

A CA is in charge of an entire floor of residence hall students with a co-CA.

This job usually involves getting students involved in their campus and helping them form relationships with other students. The job also includes things like enforcing discipline with the no drinking policy and helping prevent suicide and overdoses.

This job can teach someone a lot. This is a great work experience, but can be very taxing over time.
Pros
Learn and experience a lot, meal and housing plan
Cons
Exhausting, low pay
Great Company to work for we are a family
Custodial Worker/Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDSeptember 12, 2013
a great amount of cleaning area to get done
a routine made it much more time efficient
my coworkers were a lot like a family, worked well together and did a lot of group projects
summer camps were the toughest only because there are several back to back camps and all rooms must be cleaned before new camp moves in and getting 600/1220 rooms done in one day with 10 custodians makes it difficult yet always got them done
best part were the students, each year you get to meet new students who are exciting young adults out on there own for the first time. watching them grow through there 4 years of college how they have changed and grown into the great people they are.
Pros
pay was good, vacation and sick leave builds quickly and all the holidays
Cons
expensive health coverage for the family
Great Experience
Academic Advising Intern (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SdSeptember 7, 2013
I had the opportunity to make an impact while also learning a lot about the various dynamics of higher education.
One of the worst places I've ever worked.
Sr. Building Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDAugust 7, 2013
I worked in Facilities Management in the HVAC shop. The people I worked with were good at what they did, but had no support from upper management. We were treated like a commodity (If you don't like it, we'll hire somebody else). I got terminated because they said I didn't fulfill the terms of a Work Improvement Program that was not handled properly even by their own rules. I was originally put on the program because I had an accident and hurt my shoulder. It was supposed to be for 30 days in which the supervisor was supposed to meet with me once a week and evaluate my progress. The supervisor that put me on it quit and it was several months before a new supervisor was hired during which nothing was done on the WIP. When they hired a new supervisor he resumed the WIP and we met every week as required, and he reported that I was doing well, until the last week when he told me that I failed the WIP and my employment was terminated. Everyone I met with in an appeal seemed to have reservations about the termination, but I was fired anyway. This told me that they had orders from upper management to cut back and this was their way of doing it. Even the State of
South Dakota agreed when they granted me Unemployment Benefits because in their judgment, I was terminated without cause. After my termination, 3 other members of the shop quit because they got tired of all the upper management manipulation of our jobs. Unless upper management is changed this is a lousy place to work. No loyalty to staff!
Pros
Campus itself is nice place to work.
Cons
Management doesn't care about how they treat staff.
Tutoring great while in school
Personal Tutor in Disability Services (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDJune 23, 2013
Tutoring is a great way to earn money at the university and still be able to focus on classes. It can be difficult because not everyone is able to relate to other students and earn their respect. Tutoring is especially rewarding when students succeed and that is probably the best part of working with students.
Pros
Flexible
Great Learning Experience
Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDJune 17, 2013
Great Team of people. Diverse. Employers and Supervisors are very helpful.
Cons
Graduate school: Hard work, indentured servitude, exciting research
Lab Lead, Human Computer Interaction Lab (Current Employee) –  Vermillion, SDAugust 30, 2012
Highly independent. No time clock, no set hours, no supervisor. Requires high levels of self motivation and time management.

A typical day may include some or all of the following: 10 to 14 hours of literature review. Carpentry. Impromptu lectures in front of up to 100 undergraduate students. Computer programing. Supervision of junior research partners. Public defense of research findings. Knowledge of wine making.

Management is knowledgeable and helpful becoming intentionally less involved as research progress in order to foster independence in graduate students.

Co-workers (fellow graduate students) are highly motivated and enthusiastic about their work.

The most difficult part of being a graduate student is motivation. Projects are often so massive that it seems like they will never reach completion.

The most enjoyable part of graduate school is the research. Few things are more rewarding than seeing a research project to its conclusion or seeing a research paradigm you designed in action.
Pros
near total independence
Cons
no pay
Desk Work!
Desk Worker (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDAugust 2, 2012
It was a decent job with decent management. Management changes each semester though, and that can provide for a ever-changing problem.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of South Dakota. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2