University of Southern California

University of Southern California Employee Reviews

Great University but lack for advancement
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 17, 2018
I really enjoyed working at USC because of the solid reputation in Los Angeles. However, my position was very limited and I did not have much room for growth. I would consider working here again in a different role.
Good for tenured faculties and Physicians, but career growth of non tenured scientists depends on PI
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 16, 2018
University supports career growth of independent tenured faculties and physicians.Great place for those with independent labs to contribute to new discoveries and further advance to reach top positions.University provides good benefits and very supportive.

For non tenure PhD scientists, career progress depends 100% on their PI. If the PI is a mentor with leadership qualities, he would support the career growth of next generation of scientists by supporting innovative ideas, project development, publications, grants and help you to reach independence.

If the PI is just a boss, he would prefer to have workers who just execute the tasks dictated with no questions about the master plan. Ambitious individual wanting career progress would be politically suppressed from advancing further and contributing to discovery through creative ideas.

Unfortunately, unlike few highly ranked Universities at USC, there is no assessment of career growth for non tenure faculties in terms of project presentations, primary and senior author publications or grant submission. Extremely regretful that a great number of experienced researchers compromise creativity and scientific aspiration for the sake of job security. Along with lost opportunities, many discoveries are also lost.

Most Universities do not care for non tenure research faculties and have no assessment of PI's ability as a leader to help career growth of those working for them.This is the major problem to be addressed by the country to save new scientific discoveries.
Good
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 13, 2018
Was relaxed and fun. Stressful after exams, grading took for ever. But interacting with students made the job very fun indeed. Designing HW and labs are interesting but time consuming.
Best time I had at USC
Thornton Audio Crew (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 9, 2018
Learning about audio engineering and working with the people was worth taking the job. I wish I could have stayed longer but once you graduate you can't work anymore.
Large Private University
Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 9, 2018
As a large private university, USC watches its budget carefully. Managers must make due with their annual allocation, as overrages are difficult to cover. The presence of a tuition benefit for dependents at an expensive private university attracts many talented people willing to be underemployed and underpaid.
Pros
Tuition benefit for dependents
Cons
Lousy location for commuters. Staff have to pay their employer to park.
awesome public safety department
PUBLIC SAFETY OFFICER/CHAPLAIN (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 27, 2017
good place to get a lot of experience. officers work as a team and the on the job training is good.equipment is good,salary could be better for work and radio calls officers receive.
Pros
good benifits
It is nice environment.
Research Lab Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 26, 2017
I worked at USC for 27 years. It is research job, challenge, competitive, interesting. My supervisor is one of DDS and PH.D. He dedicate his whole life to study enamel formation from molecular biology, developing biology. I learned lot through those years.
Good Benefits but Bad Culture
Assistant Manager, USCard Services (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 20, 2017
Benefits are wonderful. The business cycle goes along side the academic cycle for my position. There is a lack of pay and hiring people to get the job. Many staff members are overworked.
daily staff involvement
Clinical Laboratory Supervisor/Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 18, 2017
Very busy extremely productive highly sensitive to staff shortages and we needed better equipment Leadership ws at time short to staff and bridging the gap for staff to upper managment was trying
Pros
great team
Cons
short staff
Wonderful!
Work-Study Student (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 12, 2017
I loved working for USC. They create a family-like culture where you feel like you are at home. The Trojan pride is real and this runs true in the work place as well.
Great Place, great people good company
Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 6, 2017
Excellent place to work. very supportive people and very good management group.employee benefits also very good. career growth also very good as always more opportunities to explore on different tasks.
challenging but learn a lot
student Dentist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 5, 2017
very challenging program. Administration is not up to the mark. Lot of politics. have to be self motivated to excel as a lot of faculty don't really care. you have to make sure you're getting the right info as it can be mis leading
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 1, 2017
This team provided a great opportunity for advancement, collaboration, teaching, and training.

I learned a lot from the industry leaders in terms of curriculum development, multiple teaching platforms, and various other tools to use in the classroom setting.
Pros
Schedule, Pay, and flexibility
Cons
Distance and traffic to locations
productive but stressful
Executive Chef For Conference and Catering (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 30, 2017
its actually a great environment to work with so much going on and been the one in charge for banquets and conference and catering for the campus your days are extremely busy but fun to work
Pros
free parking
Nice environment to work
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 30, 2017
The university is a collaborative and equal opportunity place. It did its best to accommodate the students' need to develop their career goals as young engineers and scholars.
Relaxed and quiet
Front Desk Attendant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 29, 2017
I do not usually have a lot to do so it is a great job for a student. Our manager lets us all study as long as we are performing the necessary duties.
Pros
Can study on the job
Cons
Not a lot of available shifts
Fun College Job
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 19, 2017
SAing for professors at USC was fun and rewarding. I learned a lot by assisting the professors and would recommend this position to anyone. It helps you get in with the professors so that you can apply to certain classes down the road.
Good experience
Course Grader (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 18, 2017
I was just working as a student worker. I worked as course grader for the courses "Introduction to Programming System Design" and "Artificial Intelligence".
Very fun place to work.
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 15, 2017
Great place to work layoffs during summer are a bit harsh when everybody goes on summer vacation. Unfortuneately our bills dont take a vacation but even tuition is free for workers.
Pros
Cons
Summer layoffs.
Competitive field
Assistant Study Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 14, 2017
The field of neuroscience research is fast-paced, competitive and engaging. The possibilities of what to learn are endless! A typical day of work is meetings, data analysis and attending seminars. Everyone is very dedicated to the job. Working with the research participants was my favorite part of the job. The hardest part of the job was the hours, sometimes my day would start at 7am and end at 6pm. It was very exciting but also very mentally draining. But the times I had long days, I could usually take it easy the next day.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Working weekends, and no time off.