University of Southern California Employee Reviews

Project Meeting
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 21, 2017
Led other 3 team members to design the construction engineering layout and established the budget plan,and followed established
project management guidelines.
awesome
Clinical Laboratory Supervisor/Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 15, 2017
competitive challenging rewarding short staffed major call outs difficult supply delivery phlebotomist team building challenges attained a 98% to 28%entry
Pros
research
Cons
staffing shortages
Great Team
Online Indexer Training Module Developer/Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAAugust 4, 2017
Work flow is inconsistent but once projects are taken on, the income is very good and very reliable. You work from home. Management is friendly and approachable.
Pros
Training in LA
Cons
Work comes in unreliable batches
Typical research work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90007August 3, 2017
When you are a research assistant to a professor who has many graduate and post-graduate students, you won't expect too much in term of salary, or a lot of attentions. The team is good but everybody is busy with his/her own research area. I figure every college would be the same.
A fine place to work...pity they refuse to pay competitively.
Publications Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 30, 2017
USC is a nice place to work. I love my job and teammates. The benefits are better than average IF you take advantage of them. The problem with USC is, though, compensation. They refuse to acknowledge that they pay less than market rate for Los Angeles AND the average pay increase for rank and file staff is about 2%. USC also has a reputation of being difficult to get hired into due to nepotism and it is probably true as it's how I got my first job back in the 90s. Staff are at the bottom of the hierarchy (below administrators, faculty, and students so be prepared to take a lot of attitude.
Pros
Benefits are better than most; tuition benefits are superb; retirement is great for higher ed.
Cons
Pay/compensation, cliquish nature of the university, competition amongst departments for donor attention breed uncivil interactions.
Down to earth and fun place to work
Clinical Authorization and Telephonic Triage Nurse (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 26, 2017
Typical day at work would be answering high volume of calls, obtaining prior authorizations, triaging calls, medication refills, and address/help patients in all of their other need/concerns and issues. There is a high turn over of management which has become a challenge to make the system structured and maintain continuity of care.
Pros
Flexible and accommodating to employee's schedule 9=5:30
Cons
No comment
Great place to start a career
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 23, 2017
Awful management, and very little is done to help them improve their methodology. Academics seems to have this notion that the field itself is inherently utilitarian, but at a certain point someone needs to acknowledge that creating successful teams requires more humanizing management
Pros
being at USC
Cons
utilitarian
A fantastic place to work
PROGRAM ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 21, 2017
I worked in 2 departments for 12 years total. Visionary leadership and lots of chances to grow. Wonderful colleagues and students. It is a busy ever-changing environment. Be ready to work hard and receive great benefits.
Pros
benefits, colleagues, students
Great benefits, work life balance, little growth
Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  University of Southern California, CAJuly 10, 2017
I am mid-career and don't feel I can advance my career staying here. Great benefits, tuition reimbursement and work life balance. Parking on campus very expensive and scarce. Public transport available.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement
Cons
Low pay
good place to work
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 7, 2017
Working as a lecturer was fun and interesting, but it was difficult not having a good idea of job security year-to-year. Overall an interesting place to work.
Good research environment
Organizational Behavior Researcher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 7, 2017
- USC is one of best research institutes in southern California.
- It has good facilities like behavioral labs, computer rooms, etc.
- It still has a room for improvement.
Very good work environment!
Building Service Manager- USC Housing (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 1, 2017
Excellent company to work for, I would recommend this company to any interested parties. The managers and directors are consistent and kind, its truly a family unit.
Grad Student
Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 28, 2017
USC is great. The online MSW program is amazing. .Great professors great learning experience. It is a perfect fit for anyone with a tight schedule and commitment to their education.
USC loved working there enjoyed
Cook Asst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 26, 2017
Working at USC was an amazing experience, was and is part of the Trojan family, culture amazing rich history learnd. And advanced to student and working privileges
Pros
Free lunch, and football games
Cons
Non
Beautiful campus with many necessary improvements needed.
Academic Advisor, Roski School of Art and Design (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 25, 2017
The management is aggressive and does not value or encourage advancement of staff.
The compensation needs to improve by giving a living wage; no wages are given, and more work is always added. There is no real training and their is a lot of nepotism. As much as the University says that it values diversity, it isn't represented in it's faculty, management or much of it's staff.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Suppressive Management
Segmented and Bias
Doctoral Candidate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 22, 2017
Experienced extensive racial discrimination within the USC Viterbi School of Engineering due to a lack of transparency and accountability in the organization.
Usc
Outreach Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 14, 2017
I have enjoyed working at USC, however, due to budget impact and department realignment, my position will be ending on June 30. I am saddened by this, but more importantly, I am saddened that I was not able to find another position at the university. I have posted for several positions that I am more than qualified for, but for some reason have been unsuccessful in my attempts to continue my employment with USC. I would have liked to have seen USC put forth more effort to help employees who are losing their positions to secure new positions within the university. Again, this has not been the case. Even though my time at USC has been somewhat difficult (previous manager issues that had to be resolved through HR, job ending) I would recommend anyone to apply for work with USC.
Pros
good benefits, nice people
Cons
term positions, mostly desk jobs, slow to hire
Excellent Place to Work
Consultant & Curriculum Advisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 6, 2017
Great place to work. Flexible Hours. Comfortable environment/culture. Well versed/educated staff. Everyone has been very friendly and easy to work with...
Needs improvement
Office Manager/Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 29, 2017
There's a huge discrepancy between management and staff, the benefits are great but the pay is not. There are few people of color in management and that's not likely to change any time soon.
Benefits
Cons
Low pay, lack of diversity in management
Great work study job.
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 29, 2017
Great work study job that is flexible. Managers are friendly and accommodating to schedules and conflicts. Pay raises for each year. Overall, nice place to work while in school.