University of Southern California

University of Southern California Employee Reviews in United States

Great environment, depending on department and/or unit
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 19, 2016
USC is a great place to be, a very invigorating environment. That being said. Depending on your unit, it may be difficult to navigate the landscape. The benefits are great, the politics can be rough at times.
Pros
Campus, Students.
Cons
Politics
USC is a fantastic employer that provides stability and professional growth for those that want opportunity.
Senior Buyer, USC Bookstores (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 10, 2016
USC has great people, great achievements, and a great culture. It's a very exciting place to work. The University is always on the cutting edge from not only an academic perspective but one of business as well.
Pros
Excellent benefits, beautiful surroundings, bright, intelligent and driven people.
Cons
Too many bikes and skateboards :)
It's a job!
Office Manager/Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 29, 2016
Benefits and compensation are good.
Environment is very political and micro-managed

Employees take advantage of the system. It is backwards... those that work are punished by denial of time off. I believe management are afraid of the "system" workers. Does not create a good atmospher
Pros
Benefits good
Cons
very political
Wonderful place to work
ADMINISTRTATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesJuly 28, 2016
I worked at USC for 29 wonderful years in a number of different department. The work was very satisfying and my co-workers pleasant to work with. I learned word processing, excel spreadsheet and outlook while at USC. I took computer classes to further my skills.
Pros
Beautiful campus to walk around during my lunch break.
Cons
Driving to campus in the traffic.
Fantastic workplace culture and challening environment
Faculty and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 15, 2016
USC's Orange County campus is fun, fast-paced and filled with accomplished professors and staff members. I highly recommend it.
Usc
Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 13, 2016
Fantastic place to work the staff are very knowledgeable and work very hard to make a difference in the surrounding communities.
Grading USC
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 28, 2016
One stays busy, I've learned a great set of skills, management needs much training, co- workers are ok. Hardest part of the job is working with the people. Most enjoyable part of the job is the work, I love what I do.
Pros
Great Place to Work for
Cons
The Pay is not great
Great benefits
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 27, 2016
Requires ability to mutli-task and interact with customers. I learned that attentive management will celebrate employs and applaud exceptional service. Hardest part of the job are duties that go beyond job description, but are required nonetheless in order to keep operations afloat.
Busy Workplace
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 23, 2016
I was able to learn a lot of things while being a student assistant. I used to do administrative work, answer the phones, check in packages, sort mail, ensure the office looked presentable, ensure that conference rooms were put up daily. My coworkers were great and we all learned from each other.
Community Service Officer I (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 21, 2016
I've been working for USC for over a decade and it has been a blessing to my family. Its a friendly work environment and its at a place that is really making a difference in people's lives.
Great opportunity to development new skills while attending USC
CTG/REACH Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 11, 2016
Loved working directly under faculty, and alongside my peers. The most enjoyable part of the job was visiting project sites and interacting with the community.
productive working enviornment
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 6, 2016
A typical day at work for would be basically me assisting my boss on whatever it is she needed me to do, as far as making or receiving phones calls seeing if people wanted to subscribe to the schools' newspapers or buy tickets to the schools sports events, researching certain information on the computer, or simply being a delivery boy or messager.
Pros
full access to certain events, meeting certain establish people
Good working environment
Post-doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 25, 2016
My day typically starts from 9 am to 6 or 7pm. Sometimes I work on weekends as well. I have learned a lot about immunology experiments and grant writing. My boss is really nice and encouraging. He is not a micromanager. My co-workers are nice and helpful. The hardest part of the job is to get experiments successfully done. The most enjoyable part is to learn and share.
Great Experience
Graduate Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 23, 2016
Learned a lot and loved working with my colleagues. The environment was great and working with the students is always a pleasure.
Multicultural and community oriented
Tech III/ Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 20, 2016
In research, there is no such a thing as a typical day, but I think that what enjoyed the most. USC is a place that provides a learning environment by presenting work currently been done at the University as well as bringing guests from other universities and companies to talk about their work. The speakers that come to present their research open a door to new ideas and new technology.
USC has programs to learn something and beneficial every Wednesdays that can be done in just five minutes.
There would be no hard part of a job if you enjoyed doing what you do.
I enjoyed working in creating the science of tomorrow.
Pros
Staff appreciation day
Cons
grate place to work and excellent benefits
Food Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 19, 2016
Fast paced enviroment with 3500+ customers a day to serve, focus on detail and customer service. satisfaction of happy customers at the end of shift makes all the hard work worth while. managment is great and understandig of employees personal isssues and always provides adequated support and guide in everyday tasks.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
low wages
Relaxed enviroment, made it easy to work without any distractions
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 19, 2016
Job was pretty easy, basic data entry. The only thing that was a pain was learning all the software that you needed. Relaxed environment, made it easy to work without any distractions.
Pros
flexible hours, good pay
Cons
Great Company to work for with amazing benefits and retirement
Culinary Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 17, 2016
I love working at USC. Great benefits, PTO, vacation, sick time, school opportunities, union based. A lot of the workers have been there for YEARS, sometimes its hard to move up because no one wants to leave. The managers are good for the most part, you can expect micromanagement anywhere you go but if you show hard work and dedication it is highly likely to move up faster.
Hardest part is sometimes finding motivation and working well with your fellow co workers. The best part is that you will always get your breaks, free meals, discounts on amusement parks, free tuition, benefits, 401 k, and feeling apart of the Trojan Family.
Pros
Benefits, PTO, Retirement, Tuition
Cons
Slow to move up if you want to excel
Comfortable Environment With Friendly Staff
Associate (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesMay 16, 2016
Working at the University of Southern California was a great experience. As an associate at Annenberg Press Center, I was responsible for managing a digital database for one of the schools primary academic journals. Supervisors and staff were supportive and a pleasure to work with.
Pros
Flexbile
Cons
Slow Management
Very professional academic/research environment
Technical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  playa vistaMay 11, 2016
Excellent learning environment. Research driven work mainly for government that required at times long hours that were challenging, yet very rewarding.
Pros
Great company benefits
Cons
government funded. Short contracts.

4.2