University of Southern California

University of Southern California Employee Reviews

Terrible Work/Life Environment
Director, Lambda LGBT Alumni Association (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 18, 2016
My review is based solely on my experience in the Alumni Association. The work/life balance is almost nonexistent. Vacations were only permitted to be taken between June 15 and August 15. The rest of the year was 60-70 hour weeks, nearly non-stop. No comp time and no consideration for evening and weekend work.

The benefits are good from a retirement standpoint. Otherwise, they are pretty much average.
Pros
Great retirement matching.
Cons
Terrible work/life balance.
A Big Machine
Telecommunications (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 16, 2016
Overall a good place to work. Benefits are hand-down the best part. Fighting for your right to take time off was the most challenging. Every department is different, and like most large-scale employers a lot gets sacrificed, especially at lower levels, for the "greater good" of the university; but working for USC is like being part of a family. People who left tended to remain friends with coworkers, or returned to the school for football games or special occasions as if they were alumni. In my experience it was a stressful place to work, but it was a satisfying one.
Pros
Co-workers, family-like environment
Cons
Stressful, large-scale employer means details are lost
Customer service/cashier (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 7, 2017
Usc treats their employees as a family
great benefits
room for advancement
they train in all areas
my experience with this company was a very pleasant one
Pros
daily meals for each shift
Cons
do not provide enough hours for their full time employees
Must be flexible
Public Safety Communications Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 6, 2017
Working as a dispatcher is strenuous and time-consuming. There were many days where breaks and lunches were not available due to staffing shortages. Benefits are decent however management can improve.
Cons
Staffing shortage & management
nice company but lots of backstabbing
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CASeptember 28, 2016
The culture is changing probably for the better but it isn't very ethical and it's very confusing. Too many politics. There are lots of changing going on and with all the money being donated, it makes sense that there is a lot of politics and back scratching. You have to be careful who you say what to.
Pros
great benefits and tuition benefits if you stay around and get in
Cons
too much politics and little growth.
Great Place to work
Safety Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 20, 2016
The atmosphere at the workplace is very nice with friendly people. There is a job security with good benefits. The management is focused towards your and the institutions development.
Pros
nice weather, good benifits
very nice place to work.
Income Auditor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 25, 2017
Great director. Very easy to get along. I have learned so much from him. Co-workers are easy to get along. Most employees have been there minimum of 10years. Great benefits.
Pros
great pay, great benefits and you can grow easly.
Cons
parking is very expensive
Great, Fun Place to Work!
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 5, 2016
USC really knows how to show their employees they are appreciated. Fun work environment, great benefits, job security and compensation.
great place to work with excellent benefits
Collector (Current Employee) –  Alhambra, CADecember 9, 2016
Keck Medicine of USC is an excellent place to work with a great benefits package and wonderful coworkers. They provide great employee engagement program.
Good
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 31, 2017
A good school, actually. I love my school, and it provides lot of benefits for students, such as free lyon center, medical care, safety care and so on.
USC is a fantastic employer that provides stability and professional growth for those that want opportunity.
Senior Buyer, USC Bookstores (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 10, 2016
USC has great people, great achievements, and a great culture. It's a very exciting place to work. The University is always on the cutting edge from not only an academic perspective but one of business as well.
Pros
Excellent benefits, beautiful surroundings, bright, intelligent and driven people.
Cons
Too many bikes and skateboards :)
Exhausting but beautiful campus
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 6, 2016
USC has excellent facilities and helpful administrators. I am content with my salary and benefits but would have liked more on the job training and support.
Great Company to work for with amazing benefits and retirement
Culinary Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 17, 2016
I love working at USC. Great benefits, PTO, vacation, sick time, school opportunities, union based. A lot of the workers have been there for YEARS, sometimes its hard to move up because no one wants to leave. The managers are good for the most part, you can expect micromanagement anywhere you go but if you show hard work and dedication it is highly likely to move up faster.
Hardest part is sometimes finding motivation and working well with your fellow co workers. The best part is that you will always get your breaks, free meals, discounts on amusement parks, free tuition, benefits, 401 k, and feeling apart of the Trojan Family.
Pros
Benefits, PTO, Retirement, Tuition
Cons
Slow to move up if you want to excel
Test
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 11, 2016
Gud retirement benefits and great higher education policies. Winter break is a good allowance and leave policies are generous. Downside are mandatory lunch breaks and old fashioned work style( no work from home).
Great environment, depending on department and/or unit
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 19, 2016
USC is a great place to be, a very invigorating environment. That being said. Depending on your unit, it may be difficult to navigate the landscape. The benefits are great, the politics can be rough at times.
Pros
Campus, Students.
Cons
Politics
It's a job!
Office Manager/Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 29, 2016
Benefits and compensation are good.
Environment is very political and micro-managed

Employees take advantage of the system. It is backwards... those that work are punished by denial of time off. I believe management are afraid of the "system" workers. Does not create a good atmospher
Pros
Benefits good
Cons
very political
good people at USC Facilities management services
Supervisor/Safety Manager/Vehicle Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 20, 2017
I would supervise employees, Call customers to confirm work orders and close work orders that were completed . I learned how the operations and maintenance field works in a university setting
Management would try to get us everything we needed to our jobs.
work place culture
a great place to work mostly good people Trojan Family'

hardest part of job was pressure of customers wanted their work done right away without any consideration for scheduling work on a first come first serve or emergency basis.
Excellent University to work for. I could have stayed working there, however, I relocated and it was a very long commute for me.
Financial Services Department - Secretary III (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 26, 2016
Excellent University to work for. Interfaced with students on a daily basis. Developed & maintained good customer relations with students and USC Associates. There was no dull moment in that campus. The most busiest or hardest part of the job was during the open enrollment, where every students come to our Department to make payments for their Tuition. The most enjoyable part of the job was do the best I can to help students in the midst of crucial moment.
Pros
Free lunches provided by the Manager only when busy.
Cons
Health care benefits, discount on any courses you take, free schooling for full time employee's kids after serving 15 years working in the University.
grate place to work and excellent benefits
Food Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 19, 2016
Fast paced enviroment with 3500+ customers a day to serve, focus on detail and customer service. satisfaction of happy customers at the end of shift makes all the hard work worth while. managment is great and understandig of employees personal isssues and always provides adequated support and guide in everyday tasks.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
low wages
I loved working here, learned so much.
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 8, 2017
I Certified loan applications and ensured overall compliance with Federal and State regulations, as well as institutional policies and procedures; ensured financial aid is appropriately disbursed to students; certified loan applications and completed basic verification processes.
The hardest part of my job was leaving because I relocated to another state. The most enjoyable was taking in and learning so much knowledge from management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Southern California. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2