University of Southern California

University of Southern California Employee Reviews in United States

Grading USC
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 28, 2016
One stays busy, I've learned a great set of skills, management needs much training, co- workers are ok. Hardest part of the job is working with the people. Most enjoyable part of the job is the work, I love what I do.
Pros
Great Place to Work for
Cons
The Pay is not great
Overall Good Place to Work
Assistant Director- Music Operations (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 30, 2015
As a whole, USC is a good place to work. I'm looking to relocate which is my primary reason for applying for positions near Portland.

I've learned a lot about working with a wide array of individuals from all over the world. I've developed skills that would allow me to be successful in settings outside of higher education.

I've been lucky to have a great team to work with throughout my tenure at USC. USC has excellent benefits, particularly tuition benefits. Annual pay/salary seems low for Los Angeles.
Exploitative place with little room for personal and professional growth
Marketing and Publications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 9, 2015
USC is run as a corporation, with more focus on money and marketing than on strong academic services. My boss continually required me to work unpaid extra hours under the promise of future retribution, which I never got back. When I decided not to give away free work any more, I was fired for underperforming. I never got the chance to take courses or attend conferences in USC. There was very little room for growth.
Relaxed enviroment, made it easy to work without any distractions
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 19, 2016
Job was pretty easy, basic data entry. The only thing that was a pain was learning all the software that you needed. Relaxed environment, made it easy to work without any distractions.
Pros
flexible hours, good pay
Productive place to work
Web Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 14, 2016
Job was challenging, to everyone, because we are working on things that can make the world better and better.

I've gained so much experience in web development area, even more than what I could get from class. Co-workers are all graduate level students, which means we have more in common, especially within the computer science field. We helped each other on projects so we all learned things together, quickly. I am very happy that I've worked in such a good environment.
Pros
Good working environment, good coworkers
Very professional academic/research environment
Technical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  playa vistaMay 11, 2016
Excellent learning environment. Research driven work mainly for government that required at times long hours that were challenging, yet very rewarding.
Pros
Great company benefits
Cons
government funded. Short contracts.
Great opportunity to development new skills while attending USC
CTG/REACH Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 11, 2016
Loved working directly under faculty, and alongside my peers. The most enjoyable part of the job was visiting project sites and interacting with the community.
Internship
Admissions Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 12, 2016
This position was just an internship. It was a great job that taught me great people skills. The campus at the University of Southern California is just a jovial place to be. Therefore, interacting with students, potential students, parent and staff only increased my people skills.
Community Service Officer I (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 21, 2016
I've been working for USC for over a decade and it has been a blessing to my family. Its a friendly work environment and its at a place that is really making a difference in people's lives.
Excellent institution with a great foresight
Directed Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 3, 2016
Excellent institution where working as a research assistant helped me learn a great deal of things. There is a constant learning process involved which is great for young professionals.
The USC Summer Program is an intensive academic, social, cultural, and recreational experience for Los Angeles county youth and parents.
Academic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 1, 2015
It’s goal is to assist first generations college bound students from economically disadvantaged families to prepare for and succeed in a post-secondary educational program. I learned too be patient, have empathy and leadership skills. Provide assistance with registration and course scheduling, participate in recruitment events on and off campus, provide leadership in organizing, implementing, and evaluating students’ academic progress,student advising; evaluation of transfer credit, review of admissions petitions, issuance of status reports, clearing of seniors for graduation and other student services, coordinate college fairs and organize outreach programs for students and parents, assistance in selecting a major or school of interest, develop programs designed to increase student’s participation in college services, maintains direct contact with students providing academic, personal, and career advising, coordinate off-campus advising services, including developing programs to assist underrepresented students, ensures that all students integrate career and/or life ambitions with knowledge and skills acquired from experiences both in and out of the classroom, responsible for two million dollar departmental budget; researching census data, organized and prepared grant proposal for USC-Upward Bound program.

My co-workers are great we all work together and make sure the our students receive the same opportunities as everyone else. Tutoring, Saturday classes and after school events, we all participated together for the student success.

The hardest part of the job is having
  more... to watch a student choose the wrong road. Seeing their failing grades. No one really cares, but me and the staff. Sometimes there is nothing we can do, but we try with mentoring, social, cultural and recreational experiences.

The most enjoyable part of the job, was watch them over come adversary and finish the university's program. Then they would come to my office and ask for a letter of recommendation, and enroll in a college of their choice. Just watching them succeed and helping the community is a very rewarding experience.
Pros
The culture events, going to plays and concerts, like the Lion King, The Hollywood Bowl and travaling to visit other colleges.
Cons
Sometimes you have the responabilty of 40 to 50 minor students. Working long hours, making sure a student is very well behaved. If anyting goes wrong, I would be held totally responable.
Cerebrial Environment, Intelligent People, Moves at a Very Slow Pace
Senior Talent Mgmt Consultant / Exec Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 26, 2014
My coworkers like to take a long period of time in brainstorming, coming to a consensus, and developing action plans which is great but it is done so in an all hands forum, where a variety of departments attend (4-5 hours per week) wasting many individuals time listening to information not relevant to their job or work to be performed. It is not customer service oriented type of environment across the organization. "By the book"/rules oriented.
Pros
working with very bright people, work life balance, 10% 401k company contribution
Cons
culture: a status quo type of environment, employeess not motived to go and beyond, everything moves at a slow pace, too many weekly, all hands - departmental meetings (4-5 hours weekly)
informative and enthusiastic place to work.
Research Assistantship (Current Employee) –  Los AngelesOctober 16, 2015
The professor i am working with is a great mentor and a very reputed figure in the Electrical engineering field. Th management and balance of work load on a weekly basic is very well looked after. And to sum it up i have learned a lot professionally and personally from working there.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Pay is delayed some times.
good place to work
Human Resources Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 28, 2016
I had great people I worked with and we got to think outside the box on not only fun things to do with the staff in our division , but how we can make our team more efficient. Really enjoyed working there.
Typical Workplace Summary
Human Resources Technician, Senior (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 7, 2016
A typical day at work involves a high paced environment dispersed across the Southern California corridor. Throughout the day, I conduct processes to identify possible problematic situations, before they occur. While providing situational insight, to alleviate and reconcile those identified issues. Also, manages 3 counterpart Human Resource Technicians, providing guidance and procedural protocol in the implementation and submission of personnel actions.

Co-workers: I work along side 3, 1 Army Officer and 2 Senior Non-Commissioned Officer. With such a diverse make-up, we promote diversity of environment; while maintaining the lowest possible stress level.

Job Difficulties: The most difficult part of my job is the flow of communication from higher command echelons. For the most part, the information flow is very cryptic in nature and typically left up to interpretation.

The enjoyable aspects of my job, would have to be the diversity of the team I work with. Everyone promotes loyalty; while being open enough to speak one's mind, without malice or slight.
Pros
Work hour flexibility
Cons
The level of responsibility far exceeds the pay rate.
Very Productive space
Student Navigation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 7, 2016
• Assisted patrons with technical, navigation, and research issues that they may encounter.
• First to handle computer/printing issues, as well as disputes and other complaints or questions visitors may possess.
•Trained new employees, giving tutorials on the various book stacking methods, printing, and computer systems used at the library
The Trojan Network is Real!
Finance and Billing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 26, 2015
USC has a great corporate and team culture. The workforce is very driven and takes pride in work as a part of the overall USC brand. Management is very knowledgeable and always willing to assist and lead for the betterment of their workforce.

The hardest part of the job is perhaps the commute and sometimes getting through some of the bureaucracy.

The most enjoyable part of the job...THE TROJAN NETWORK AND PRIDE.
Pros
Great Opportunities
Cons
Politics
Great Experience
Graduate Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 23, 2016
Learned a lot and loved working with my colleagues. The environment was great and working with the students is always a pleasure.
productive and fun
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 12, 2015
University of Southern California is a productive and fun place to work. I like the co-workers, who are friendly and demonstrate a strong team spirit. Also, the management is very organized and efficient, which greatly improves the working environment.
Fast-Paced and always interesting
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 25, 2016
Great Staff; work well as a group. Flexibility on how you can do your work. Upper Management could support staff better.
Pros
Flexibility
Benefits