University of Southern California

University of Southern California United States Employee Reviews

USC is a private school that helps to launch careers if you have the right connections.
Administrative Assistant II - USC ASC (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: many activities take place on the campus arena.
Cons: salaries/hourly wages don't match the corporate pay scale
There are many schools/departments within and outside of the campus that offer a variety of learning experiences. Most people work a regular 7.5 hour day schedule so it doesn't usually interfere with evening activities and hobbies.
A collaborative working experience in software development
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: work from anywhere, great experience
Cons: low salary, demanding
Enriching work experience using Visual Studio and VPN software consistently. Learned a lot about C#, Autodesk Revit, and Autohotkey (scripting language).
very good
Asian-Pacific Student Entrepreneurship Society (Current Employee), los angelesJanuary 27, 2015
this is a good and simple software, but i think it should ask me to give review after I understand it instead of required 30 words minimum review before I could start to use it. I do not have much to say at least now.
Great
Mentor of EE557 (Computer Systems Architecture) (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 23, 2015
I work with professor Michel Dubois last semester.
I worked as a mentor of his EE557 in USC. I really enjoyed share my experience with students and help them understand course materials in deep during office hour. Professor Michel Dubios is expert in computer architecture. I also learned a lot in parallel compute organization during this work period.
Great leadership experience! Very hard work, but it has been rewarding to advocate for students.
Vice President at Graduate Student Government (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: leadership skills
Cons: small staff
Working with similarly motivated graduate and professional students to improve the graduate student Trojan Family experience!

I have greatly enjoyed my time as Graduate Student Government Vice President, and I am honored to have worked with the group I worked with.

It is a time-consuming job, and it requires keen attention to detail and high-quality communication skills. However, the positive feedback from students who feel that they have truly been helped is amazing.
Fun and Flexible
Lead Software Engineer Contractor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 16, 2015
> Contractor worked on and off site.
> Worked closely with doctors and nurses.
The University of Southern California is a very prestigious organization.
Telecommunications Supervisor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: knowing that you made a difference.
A typical day is filled with meetings, action plans, monitoring of staff, troubleshooting, problem solving, reporting, updating, and making sure that all policies and procedures are understood and applied.
This position allowed for me to expand on my administrative skills, communication skills, and work in an environment with a high volume of calls.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: great environment, spacious office, friendly co-workers
Cons: transportation, parking limitations
A typical day at work consisted of managing the scheduling of the Dean and Vice Dean of the department, planning recruitment projects, and handling the general accounting and bookkeeping of the office's expenses. Management was incredibly organized, friendly, and a pleasure to work for. The most difficult part of the position was to multitask and fulfill each task given to me in a timely manner, by deciphering which task held highest priority.
Excellent Academic Medical Center
Human Resources, Manager (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 9, 2015
I have been employed for almost seven years and have seen many shifts in our organization. Our company continues to grow and thrive to provide excellent care to our patients.
Executive Secretary to the Dean - Higher Education
Executive Secretary to the Dean (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: benefits including tuition assistance benefit, collaborative work environment
Cons: commute/location near downtown los angeles and cost of parking pass
Change is the only constant in my day requiring that I switch gears seamlessly without sacrificing quality. Providing direct administrative assistance to an academic dean/senior administrator requires that I always be at least one step ahead of this busy executive to ensure that he is prepared for each event, meeting or presentation.

The dean's team consists of a small but experienced staff of professional administrative assistants and administrators. Working together cohesively creates a cooperative, effective and efficient work environment. Cross trained in general office procedures and processes, we each specialize in our area of support but can step into one another's roles to some degree when called upon to do so.

The best part of working at USC is the people, the collaborative environment and the benefits including tuition assistance that covers tuition for staff and their children. Worst part is the commute depending on where in Los Angeles you're coming from and the need to pay $99/year for a parking pass.
great teaching hospital
Microbiology Research volunteer (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 3, 2015
very busy laboratory with friendly co workers
I learned the importance of documentation, and organization
the most enjoyable part of the job were the friendly staff
productive work place
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 28, 2014
Pros: pick your days to work
Cons: short breaks
Excellent Company to work for. 8 hour work shifts. multi- floor draws ranging from50 to100 draws per shift. I learned that to be productive in this field you have to work hard and be an awesome team player. The management team was very successful with their high turnover. The hardest part about this position was the work hours. I worked on the swing shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with my coworkers.
USC School of Education
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 17, 2014
Pros: perspectives are welcomed and engaged
Cons: limited room for growth in facilities
The team I worked with was very welcoming. The IT team is exceptional and the my boss was a wonderful and supportive leader.
Productive and fun workplace
Visiting Scholar (Former Employee), stem cell coreDecember 16, 2014
Productive and fun workplace It's very good to work there to learn lots of scientific stuff.
Provides tools needed for a well-balanced graduate level education
Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 1, 2014
Pros:
-Professors are kind and accomodating
-Administrative staff in the department (Chemistry) are helpful and quick to respond to inquiries
-Other graduate students are welcoming and promote an educational atmosphere via journal clubs, seminars, etc.

Cons:
-Departmental politics between faculty becomes distracting at times
-Teaching assignment responsibilities are erratic and not well defined
Cerebrial Environment, Intelligent People, Moves at a Very Slow Pace
Senior Talent Mgmt Consultant / Exec Recruiter (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CANovember 26, 2014
Pros: working with very bright people, work life balance, 10% 401k company contribution
Cons: culture: a status quo type of environment, employeess not motived to go and beyond, everything moves at a slow pace, too many weekly, all hands - departmental meetings (4-5 hours weekly)
My coworkers like to take a long period of time in brainstorming, coming to a consensus, and developing action plans which is great but it is done so in an all hands forum, where a variety of departments attend (4-5 hours per week) wasting many individuals time listening to information not relevant to their job or work to be performed. It is not customer service oriented type of environment across the organization. "By the book"/rules oriented.
Good place to learn new stuff
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CANovember 12, 2014
As a PhD, we work 8-10 hours a day. University has good facility to conduct cutting-edge research.
A cool place to work for
Program Analyst III (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CANovember 11, 2014
When I was there, the people were nice, the job was kool, it was a very nice energetic place to be in
Organized and encouraging place the work and study.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 31, 2014
Pros: free afternoon tea.
I personally scheduled my office hour before the discussion session so that if the students have questions about previously learnt material, we can have the chance to discuss one-to one before jumping into new material. During the discussion session on Tuesday, I would quickly go over the theoretical concepts taught in the lecture by the in structor, following by a sequence of explanation of example problems to demonstrate application and enhance students' understanding of the abstract theory. During the process, I would be checking if the students are following or having problems with any materials from time to time. Thursday discussion sessions is divided into two parts. The first 20 minutes would be devoted to answering questions that the students still have after Tuesday's discussion. During the rest of the class, students would be taking a quiz designed to testify their understanding of the week's material.

what I learned from the teaching experience with undergraduate students is that people with different background requires different techniques while introducing them to new concepts and ideas. Being a teaching assistant requires me to look at the material I am familiar with from the aspect of someone that sees it for the first time and utilize different tools to help students accept and understand the seemingly abstract and difficult concepts and definition of math before having any negative attitude toward it. And this is also the hardest part of the job.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to see the students excel, especially improve in exams following the techniques and tricks that I presented in class, which shows that they did follow in class and absorbed what I taught.
Excellent place to work for
Audio / Video Technician (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 31, 2014
Love to work here. Great environment to work in and excellent benefits. Lots of opportunities for expansion.

University of Southern California Salaries