University of Southern California Employee Reviews

Great campus, not so much to job
METRANS Transportation Center Administrator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 11, 2017
I loved working at USC. It was nice to be close to the campus everyday in Los Angeles. However, I was not a big fan of the job location (building) and the job in itself was not a great fit for me.
Productive, fun work at university
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 11, 2017
Great! I enjoyed working here immensely! Got to learn a lot, work on Machine Learning projects that are my core interests and with professors who share the same interests! Learning experience!
Great
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 10, 2017
Great experience working in USC, nice boss and colleagues. Good place to make friends and learn how to deal with difficult situation and team work. Really good experiences here
Great being on a school campus
Research & Data Analysis Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 6, 2017
Being on this school campus gave me a feeling of what it would be like walking around my dream school which is USC. I loved being able to volunteer for the time that I did.
Productive and competitive
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 3, 2017
I was a student worker here.. The work experience I had was as a voluntary research assistant. I also worked 2 on-campus jobs as a student caller for Rufallo NL and as a library security officer at USC
Business School - competitive but supportive culture
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 1, 2017
Positive culture in which to work in higher education, although very demanding. Teaching is priority for clinical-non-tenure track, so makes it very difficult to do research (which is how you gain recognition). Multiple priorities/requirements to serve on committees, task forces, etc. that eat up a lot of time.
Excellent internship placement
MSW Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 30, 2017
USC Telehealth is an excellent mental health service that provides top quality care to clients while providing a top quality experience to its interns.
Exceptional teamwork and managenent
Histology Technician (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 29, 2017
staff is wonderful to work with. teamwork at its best with a common goal in mind. fast paced work environment, must posses ability to work well with others in achieving deadlines and needs of the laboratory. staff is supportive of each other.
Pros
Great staff and management team.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 28, 2017
I enjoyed working for USC very much. I liked everything about working there. I also had great opportunities to work over time when they needed the extra help. I was on call, and they called me in to cover which was a privilege to do so. I had a great heath plan along with good vacation time.
Pros
Good salary
Fun workplace.
Building Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 24, 2017
Miss working here. New management has forced many people to leave including myself. Close knit environment. So close that you need to know someone or be kin with someone inside. Nepotism 101 here, from management down to frontline.
Project Meeting
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 21, 2017
Led other 3 team members to design the construction engineering layout and established the budget plan,and followed established
project management guidelines.
awesome
Clinical Laboratory Supervisor/Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 15, 2017
competitive challenging rewarding short staffed major call outs difficult supply delivery phlebotomist team building challenges attained a 98% to 28%entry
Pros
research
Cons
staffing shortages
Great Team
Online Indexer Training Module Developer/Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAAugust 4, 2017
Work flow is inconsistent but once projects are taken on, the income is very good and very reliable. You work from home. Management is friendly and approachable.
Pros
Training in LA
Cons
Work comes in unreliable batches
Typical research work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90007August 3, 2017
When you are a research assistant to a professor who has many graduate and post-graduate students, you won't expect too much in term of salary, or a lot of attentions. The team is good but everybody is busy with his/her own research area. I figure every college would be the same.
A fine place to work...pity they refuse to pay competitively.
Publications Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 30, 2017
USC is a nice place to work. I love my job and teammates. The benefits are better than average IF you take advantage of them. The problem with USC is, though, compensation. They refuse to acknowledge that they pay less than market rate for Los Angeles AND the average pay increase for rank and file staff is about 2%. USC also has a reputation of being difficult to get hired into due to nepotism and it is probably true as it's how I got my first job back in the 90s. Staff are at the bottom of the hierarchy (below administrators, faculty, and students so be prepared to take a lot of attitude.
Pros
Benefits are better than most; tuition benefits are superb; retirement is great for higher ed.
Cons
Pay/compensation, cliquish nature of the university, competition amongst departments for donor attention breed uncivil interactions.
Down to earth and fun place to work
Clinical Authorization and Telephonic Triage Nurse (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 26, 2017
Typical day at work would be answering high volume of calls, obtaining prior authorizations, triaging calls, medication refills, and address/help patients in all of their other need/concerns and issues. There is a high turn over of management which has become a challenge to make the system structured and maintain continuity of care.
Pros
Flexible and accommodating to employee's schedule 9=5:30
Cons
No comment
Great place to start a career
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 23, 2017
Awful management, and very little is done to help them improve their methodology. Academics seems to have this notion that the field itself is inherently utilitarian, but at a certain point someone needs to acknowledge that creating successful teams requires more humanizing management
Pros
being at USC
Cons
utilitarian
A fantastic place to work
PROGRAM ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 21, 2017
I worked in 2 departments for 12 years total. Visionary leadership and lots of chances to grow. Wonderful colleagues and students. It is a busy ever-changing environment. Be ready to work hard and receive great benefits.
Pros
benefits, colleagues, students
Great benefits, work life balance, little growth
Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  University of Southern California, CAJuly 10, 2017
I am mid-career and don't feel I can advance my career staying here. Great benefits, tuition reimbursement and work life balance. Parking on campus very expensive and scarce. Public transport available.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement
Cons
Low pay
good place to work
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 7, 2017
Working as a lecturer was fun and interesting, but it was difficult not having a good idea of job security year-to-year. Overall an interesting place to work.