University of Southern California

University of Southern California Employee Reviews in United States

great school
MSW candidate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 23, 2015
Wonderful school, teachers are amazing, program is great. I am very lucky to be in this program. I am learning so much. I cannot wait to use my knowledge that i received from USC in my future career.
University of South Carolina Aiken
Maintenance-Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCJanuary 11, 2016
This was a decent summer job, while I was taking summer courses at the University. I worked by myself and I also had the master key for all of the buildings. I was mostly in charge of the Freshman dorm that was used for summer camps and the maintenance office.
Supportive undergraduate research environment
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 26, 2016
I had a good experience. I feel like my research here provided me with good background for graduate level research. I learned a lot about research techniques.
Extremely low morale due to mismanagement
Too afraid of reprisal to state (Current Employee) –  UPCJuly 5, 2012
You receive no on the job training. Senior staff draconian in their management. Gossip and rumor mill. If you complain to human resources you tend to find yourself laid off, reorganized out of a job, or fired for fraudulent reasons. Management is ruining the school. Their approach in fundraising is greedy and off putting. Funds are being mismanaged. One Dean has taken artwork from the University and used it to decorate her home, she also accepts gifts on behalf of the school, and spends school funds on personal expenditures including arranging trips under the guise of fundraising to Texas so her boyfriend can visit with his family. Both fly business to first class and stay at 4 - 5 star hotels, all on the University's expense account. Favored employees are allowed to bully, berate, and illegally harrass other employees. Hardest part of the job is going in and most enjoyable is leaving at the end of the day. University does provide great benefits.
benefits
Cons
management, behavior of "favored"employees
Student oncampus job
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 24, 2016
student on campus job
helps students to manage their living expenses and also studies.
flexible working hours and work from home option.
Not a Job
Athlete (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 23, 2015
Was a student athlete at USC, this was not a job all though it felt like it was. had to make sure I kept up with my education and the clubs I participated in while still being an athlete and traveling. Was hard and really had to utilize time management skills. Important because it taught me to utilize time management skills better and develop more skills for being an athlete.
Diversity
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 7, 2015
USC is a great place to work. There are different people all over the world who you may meet on campus. There are many benefits offered while working in this organzation.
Well balanced work environment.
Enrollment Eligibility Officer, Senior (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 21, 2013
Being assigned to the University of southern California, presents a well balanced environments to encounter a multitude of well versed professionals. A typical work day is more focused on problem solving, while creating preventive measure to ensure that issues don't reflect as recurring themes. Management has become become more interpersonal and involves a humanistic approach, which creates a more productive environment.
Pros
student development, student mentorship
Cons
salary shortcomings, promotion
Great
Teaching Assistant, Electrical Engineering (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 2, 2016
Teaching assistant work is quite interesting. I love talking with students and help professor with lab design and hw grading.
Productive and Fun workplace
Office Assistant, Biological Sciences Department (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 17, 2015
It was a peaceful and friendly Environment. Everyone got along very well. We were like a family. We laughed and joked around often while getting our work done.
Pros
Often finished my duties early. I often helped students with their labs/ projects.
Cons
Calling to change the mailing address for those who no longer worked in the office, it was a bit much at times.
Great working community.
Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 4, 2015
Assisted customer needs while managing the student workers on shift. Trained many new hires, and took part in the creation of a training manual.

Certain days of this position taught me what it was like to work in a high-volume, high-stress, high-pressure environment.
Pros
Awesome environment within a close-knit community.
Cons
Management left something to be desired.
Great learning environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 16, 2015
A typical day working at the University of Southern California consisted of assisting cashiers by facilitating the front of the house procedures; helping out customers and making sure everything was productive throughout the shift. Co-workers consisted mainly of older individuals, yet are very willing to learn new things. Management, however lacks the proper training at times.
benefits
Great work environment. Excellent opportunities for growth
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 17, 2015
I would recommend anyone who has the opportunity to work for USC. Great staff and management. Friendly, fun and caring work environment. Great to employees.
Pros
Cons
No cons.
Exciting place to work, great people to work with.
Research Assistant/ Specimen Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 1, 2014
I love working here at USC, everyday there is something new in my role as Research Assistant. Due to the fact the our research department is always bringing in new clinical trials. I love the fact that my job is challenging and although sometimes there is pressure. It just makes me understand my role in what I do. I am valued as a person & employee. I am thankful for the opportunity I have been given and all that I have learned along the way. I have been given the tools and freedom to make my own way and become more confident in knowing I am important. The only reason I am seeking employment elsewhere is because I want to move to Nevada and raise my family. I am leaving a wonderful position, and benefits in hopes of a better brighter future for my family.
Pros
wonderful environment
Cons
there are no cons.
Employment
Central Advancement Gifts Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 12, 2015
My typical day at work begins with assessing the overall Gift Sessions or Adjustments that have to be scanned. I occasionally have to do Posted or Exceptions for Bank of America that is in Laserfiche.

I have learned to prioritize and organize my work in the order of most important to least important.

The management team is very helpful in assisting with learning the everyday process of Gift Services.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to give my opinion on some things and being rewarded by it being used.
productive work place
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 28, 2014
Excellent Company to work for. 8 hour work shifts. multi- floor draws ranging from50 to100 draws per shift. I learned that to be productive in this field you have to work hard and be an awesome team player. The management team was very successful with their high turnover. The hardest part about this position was the work hours. I worked on the swing shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with my coworkers.
Pros
pick your days to work
Cons
short breaks
Flexible working schedule
Project Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Monterey Park ClinicApril 4, 2014
This position allows me to contact potential clients base on a flexible schedule. I master the skills of communicating with total strangers, and explain the purpose and procedures of our research project. Self-confidence is the key to present a professional image to convince the clients to participate the free comprehensive eye exam. The management system is Team work base, which means it requires the whole team of ten co-workers to work together and reach the weekly goals of completed exam numbers. The hardest part of the job is to follow-up the refusual converse because people don't change their minds easily once they refuse to participate the project voluntary. The most enjoyable part of the job is how some clients will call me and express their appreciations of the benefits after completing the free eye exams.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
lack of benefits.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 25, 2015
Responsibilities included assisting the Professor with class lectures, grading of exam papers and projects in the subject Introduction to Power Systems (EE 443) . Also,Proctoring Exams and guide students academically in Examinations and Projects
Working at USC
ENROLLMENT SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 16, 2013
This USC education culture, is unique when compared to the corporate world. It has a quasi-corporate style but prides itself on it high quality student base and alumni. These brought the school to a world class university.
It was a nice environment to work in. My day consisted of early morning reports and any items left over from the day before. My coworkers were the best and management was helpful. My day consisted of generating reports and printing letters of all types. The most challenging aspects of my day were the ad hoc reports. We helped out any department that used our reports to start their day. At times we had to do a report specific to their needs - this was challenging at times. The most enjoyable part of my day was the people I worked with and setting up the new challenging assignments that crossed my table.
Pros
7.5 hour work day and vacation time
Cons
very little downtime and pay
Great Learning Environment/Tuition Remission
Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 23, 2012
Productive and professional work place environment. Working for the University of Southern California has been the best work experience. While working as a research interviewer, I had the opportunity to work with Doctoral level professors and social work colleagues in a academic environment. The most enjoyable part of my job was interviewing clients as a key component of the research study. Our supervisor used the quality circle technique as we met weekly to discuss problems, concerns, and challenges. Although many of us were students, our input was valued and we were treated with respect. The hardest part of the job was leaving, it was a time limited position. USC has the greatest benefits, tuition remission, great health benefits, free credit union, as well as on campus parking. I highly recommend USC.
Pros
academic learning environment, opportunity for advancement, tuition remission
Cons
competetive job market/

4.2