University of Southern California Employee Reviews in United States

Very flexible working hours
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  University of Southern CaliforniaOctober 7, 2015
Good Department to work in, but upper management needs to be more in-tuned with their staff so to boost staff morale. Other than that, good atmosphere and teamwork.
Pros
cooperative employees, flexible hours
Cons
would like to see manager more present in department and get in to office in timely manner
Diversity
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 7, 2015
USC is a great place to work. There are different people all over the world who you may meet on campus. There are many benefits offered while working in this organzation.
Very productive, fun place
Research Assisstant (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesOctober 6, 2015
USC is a great place to study and work with. Professors are very nice and helpful. Except the community around is not quite safe, so I have to bear the traffic to commute a long way.
The best of a work learning environment.
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CAOctober 5, 2015
During the course of this employment tenure, my aptitude increased dramatically in the field of Computer Science with the support of multiple systems along with learning the human side too from greatly varied staff of many backgrounds and interests.
Cons
The USC Summer Program is an intensive academic, social, cultural, and recreational experience for Los Angeles county youth and parents.
Academic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 1, 2015
It’s goal is to assist first generations college bound students from economically disadvantaged families to prepare for and succeed in a post-secondary educational program. I learned too be patient, have empathy and leadership skills. Provide assistance with registration and course scheduling, participate in recruitment events on and off campus, provide leadership in organizing, implementing, and evaluating students’ academic progress,student advising; evaluation of transfer credit, review of admissions petitions, issuance of status reports, clearing of seniors for graduation and other student services, coordinate college fairs and organize outreach programs for students and parents, assistance in selecting a major or school of interest, develop programs designed to increase student’s participation in college services, maintains direct contact with students providing academic, personal, and career advising, coordinate off-campus advising services, including developing programs to assist underrepresented students, ensures that all students integrate career and/or life ambitions with knowledge and skills acquired from experiences both in and out of the classroom, responsible for two million dollar departmental budget; researching census data, organized and prepared grant proposal for USC-Upward Bound program.

My co-workers are great we all work together and make sure the our students receive the same opportunities as everyone else. Tutoring, Saturday classes and after school events, we all participated together for the student success.

The hardest part of the job is having
  more... to watch a student choose the wrong road. Seeing their failing grades. No one really cares, but me and the staff. Sometimes there is nothing we can do, but we try with mentoring, social, cultural and recreational experiences.

The most enjoyable part of the job, was watch them over come adversary and finish the university's program. Then they would come to my office and ask for a letter of recommendation, and enroll in a college of their choice. Just watching them succeed and helping the community is a very rewarding experience.
Pros
The culture events, going to plays and concerts, like the Lion King, The Hollywood Bowl and travaling to visit other colleges.
Cons
Sometimes you have the responabilty of 40 to 50 minor students. Working long hours, making sure a student is very well behaved. If anyting goes wrong, I would be held totally responable.
Overall Good Place to Work
Assistant Director- Music Operations (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 30, 2015
As a whole, USC is a good place to work. I'm looking to relocate which is my primary reason for applying for positions near Portland.

I've learned a lot about working with a wide array of individuals from all over the world. I've developed skills that would allow me to be successful in settings outside of higher education.

I've been lucky to have a great team to work with throughout my tenure at USC. USC has excellent benefits, particularly tuition benefits. Annual pay/salary seems low for Los Angeles.
horrible
post doc (Current Employee) –  dangerousSeptember 28, 2015
the environment is not healthy. people are betraying each other. not professional. equipment is really poor. no good software. very old machines
Pros
Cons
bad environment
Volunteer Director/Instructor
Developer-in-Residence Advisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 24, 2015
Spent 1 day per month on USC campus working with Master of Real Estate Development candidates. Counseling, Teaching, Discussion Leading
The first job for me
Student (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 22, 2015
During this job, I learned a lot on hardware. I learned to use Cadence to draw the PCB Board and debug the produced board. People there are kind for me.
Pros
Free Lunch
A little sketchy at night
Research Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 10, 2015
My research experience here was fine. Nothing exceptional. Very par for the course.

It IS a little sketchy on campus at night.

Want to know more about University of Southern California?

Ask a question
horible
Cook Aid (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 9, 2015
I wouldn't work there again to save my life. horrible work place. horrible sanaitation. horrible mamagment, horrible work invirenment...I would not recommend this job to anybody
Very productive and fun place to work
Post Doctoral Fellowship (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 29, 2015
Working with one the most amazing professor in this field. Learning a lot for other colleagues and educate them in the same time, very productive and fun place to work.
Pros
Free lunch some times
Cons
Free healthcare system
Being a graduate student is hard, but worth it
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesAugust 27, 2015
Being a graduate student at USC is a difficult path. You are expected to produce original research, write papers, attend conferences and teach. The upside is the autonomy involved provides you with the opportunity to customize your experience.
Pros
Cutting edge research
Cons
Being a graduate student is a monastic and impoverished lifestyle.
Fun place to manage
Principle Manager (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesAugust 25, 2015
Avg day Managing, customer service, inventory, project management, recipe development, training, catering floor management,
Pros
Able to learn daily
Not a Job
Athlete (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 23, 2015
Was a student athlete at USC, this was not a job all though it felt like it was. had to make sure I kept up with my education and the clubs I participated in while still being an athlete and traveling. Was hard and really had to utilize time management skills. Important because it taught me to utilize time management skills better and develop more skills for being an athlete.
Great work environment. Excellent opportunities for growth
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 17, 2015
I would recommend anyone who has the opportunity to work for USC. Great staff and management. Friendly, fun and caring work environment. Great to employees.
Pros
Cons
No cons.
Improve Overall Personality
UVM structure UART and FIFO design (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 13, 2015
As a graduate student here, I have enjoyed inculcating most knowledge and technology aspect possible.
The professors are helpful and encourage students to ask doubts and gain more expertise.
Working with others
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 9, 2015
A typical day is delivering and processing packages. I've learned how to sort, process, deliver packages, use of postal service machinery. Management is always avaliable to ask questions and available to help in any areas of the dock. My co-workers are amazing to work with. I enjoy when we all work as a group and everyone shares a part of it. Dealing with the faculty and students of the University. We try to be a professional as possible. Seeing and having lunch with Alumni's and trustees of the University who come by just to visit makes it a enjoyable time and spending time with my co-workers also.
Great working community.
Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 4, 2015
Assisted customer needs while managing the student workers on shift. Trained many new hires, and took part in the creation of a training manual.

Certain days of this position taught me what it was like to work in a high-volume, high-stress, high-pressure environment.
Pros
Awesome environment within a close-knit community.
Cons
Management left something to be desired.
A nice research institute
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 28, 2015
USC is a nice university with pretty good benefits to employees. You can learn a lot from work in research-related abilities.

4.2