University of Southern California

University of Southern California Employee Reviews

Pay is not so great
Community Health Coordinator, La Clave Project (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 24, 2015
I loved working at USC but the pay was not great. The staff and faculty are all very friendly and I loved going to the campus it is beautiful.
Good benefits
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 22, 2015
I good place to work with great health benefits and tuition supports. Medical science departments are attracting good scientists. The health science campus is undergoing major expansion.
Productive and Fun workplace
Office Assistant, Biological Sciences Department (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 17, 2015
It was a peaceful and friendly Environment. Everyone got along very well. We were like a family. We laughed and joked around often while getting our work done.
Pros
Often finished my duties early. I often helped students with their labs/ projects.
Cons
Calling to change the mailing address for those who no longer worked in the office, it was a bit much at times.
productive and fun
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 12, 2015
University of Southern California is a productive and fun place to work. I like the co-workers, who are friendly and demonstrate a strong team spirit. Also, the management is very organized and efficient, which greatly improves the working environment.
Productive and fun
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 7, 2015
I work as a research assistant. I did many projects on methodology development, software development and statistical analysis on large scale genomic data.
great school
MSW candidate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 23, 2015
Wonderful school, teachers are amazing, program is great. I am very lucky to be in this program. I am learning so much. I cannot wait to use my knowledge that i received from USC in my future career.
informative and enthusiastic place to work.
Research Assistantship (Current Employee) –  Los AngelesOctober 16, 2015
The professor i am working with is a great mentor and a very reputed figure in the Electrical engineering field. Th management and balance of work load on a weekly basic is very well looked after. And to sum it up i have learned a lot professionally and personally from working there.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Pay is delayed some times.
Graduate school is very hard but worth it
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesOctober 12, 2015
I was a graduate student at USC for many years, and it was a difficult experience. But as a student working towards a PhD in physics, that is to be expected. I was treated well and given every opportunity to succeed. If you go to graduate school at USC, expect to be under stress, but also expect to find the resources you need to achieve your goals as long as you are proactive in seeking them.

There is no typical work day. I have worked 70 hours straight for some experiments, and had weeks where there was very little to do. The pressure is intermittent and intense at times. Graduate students are not paid very well, but that is the norm. The healthcare was really good.
Pros
Access to the worlds leading experts on state of the art research topics
Cons
Broke, stressed, uncertain about future prospects.
Exploitative place with little room for personal and professional growth
Marketing and Publications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 9, 2015
USC is run as a corporation, with more focus on money and marketing than on strong academic services. My boss continually required me to work unpaid extra hours under the promise of future retribution, which I never got back. When I decided not to give away free work any more, I was fired for underperforming. I never got the chance to take courses or attend conferences in USC. There was very little room for growth.
Very flexible working hours
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  University of Southern CaliforniaOctober 7, 2015
Good Department to work in, but upper management needs to be more in-tuned with their staff so to boost staff morale. Other than that, good atmosphere and teamwork.
Pros
cooperative employees, flexible hours
Cons
would like to see manager more present in department and get in to office in timely manner
Diversity
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 7, 2015
USC is a great place to work. There are different people all over the world who you may meet on campus. There are many benefits offered while working in this organzation.
Very productive, fun place
Research Assisstant (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesOctober 6, 2015
USC is a great place to study and work with. Professors are very nice and helpful. Except the community around is not quite safe, so I have to bear the traffic to commute a long way.
The best of a work learning environment.
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CAOctober 5, 2015
During the course of this employment tenure, my aptitude increased dramatically in the field of Computer Science with the support of multiple systems along with learning the human side too from greatly varied staff of many backgrounds and interests.
Cons
The USC Summer Program is an intensive academic, social, cultural, and recreational experience for Los Angeles county youth and parents.
Academic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 1, 2015
It’s goal is to assist first generations college bound students from economically disadvantaged families to prepare for and succeed in a post-secondary educational program. I learned too be patient, have empathy and leadership skills. Provide assistance with registration and course scheduling, participate in recruitment events on and off campus, provide leadership in organizing, implementing, and evaluating students’ academic progress,student advising; evaluation of transfer credit, review of admissions petitions, issuance of status reports, clearing of seniors for graduation and other student services, coordinate college fairs and organize outreach programs for students and parents, assistance in selecting a major or school of interest, develop programs designed to increase student’s participation in college services, maintains direct contact with students providing academic, personal, and career advising, coordinate off-campus advising services, including developing programs to assist underrepresented students, ensures that all students integrate career and/or life ambitions with knowledge and skills acquired from experiences both in and out of the classroom, responsible for two million dollar departmental budget; researching census data, organized and prepared grant proposal for USC-Upward Bound program.

My co-workers are great we all work together and make sure the our students receive the same opportunities as everyone else. Tutoring, Saturday classes and after school events, we all participated together for the student success.

The hardest part of the job is having
  more... to watch a student choose the wrong road. Seeing their failing grades. No one really cares, but me and the staff. Sometimes there is nothing we can do, but we try with mentoring, social, cultural and recreational experiences.

The most enjoyable part of the job, was watch them over come adversary and finish the university's program. Then they would come to my office and ask for a letter of recommendation, and enroll in a college of their choice. Just watching them succeed and helping the community is a very rewarding experience.
Pros
The culture events, going to plays and concerts, like the Lion King, The Hollywood Bowl and travaling to visit other colleges.
Cons
Sometimes you have the responabilty of 40 to 50 minor students. Working long hours, making sure a student is very well behaved. If anyting goes wrong, I would be held totally responable.
Overall Good Place to Work
Assistant Director- Music Operations (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 30, 2015
As a whole, USC is a good place to work. I'm looking to relocate which is my primary reason for applying for positions near Portland.

I've learned a lot about working with a wide array of individuals from all over the world. I've developed skills that would allow me to be successful in settings outside of higher education.

I've been lucky to have a great team to work with throughout my tenure at USC. USC has excellent benefits, particularly tuition benefits. Annual pay/salary seems low for Los Angeles.
horrible
post doc (Current Employee) –  dangerousSeptember 28, 2015
the environment is not healthy. people are betraying each other. not professional. equipment is really poor. no good software. very old machines
Pros
Cons
bad environment
Volunteer Director/Instructor
Developer-in-Residence Advisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 24, 2015
Spent 1 day per month on USC campus working with Master of Real Estate Development candidates. Counseling, Teaching, Discussion Leading
The first job for me
Student (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 22, 2015
During this job, I learned a lot on hardware. I learned to use Cadence to draw the PCB Board and debug the produced board. People there are kind for me.
Pros
Free Lunch
A little sketchy at night
Research Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 10, 2015
My research experience here was fine. Nothing exceptional. Very par for the course.

It IS a little sketchy on campus at night.
horible
Cook Aid (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 9, 2015
I wouldn't work there again to save my life. horrible work place. horrible sanaitation. horrible mamagment, horrible work invirenment...I would not recommend this job to anybody

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Southern California. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2