University of Southern Mississippi Employee Review

View all University of Southern Mississippi reviews

Something I would do for fun
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSSeptember 9, 2013
I was chosen as an undergraduate teaching assistant in the geosciences department to undertake this special opportunity. I was an instructor for lab courses and chosen based on my academic performance and responsibility I displayed in school.
My responsibilities included instructing lab courses several times a week and grading students' performances in the classroom. Being an instructor helped me grow in public speaking, interpersonal relations, multitasking, time-management, and knowledge of the geosciences. Each week I was required to prepare a new lesson for students to undertake based on a guideline set by the department.
One of the most difficult parts of the job was communicating the subject matter to the students in a way that they would perform to both mine and their expectations in class. While a difficult part of the job, I enjoyed displaying patience and excitement for the subject matter in a manner that would spread to my students. Bringing knowledge into people's lives is something I will always enjoy doing no matter the circumstance.
Pros
Free knowledge, new relationships, flexible with school
Cons
Hours sometimes extended late into the night but were not required by the school

Other University of Southern Mississippi Employee Reviews

Good University and Great Departmetn
Teaching Assistant / Graduate Student Duties (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSNovember 3, 2017
The geography department consists of a diverse range of professors with backgrounds as interdisciplinary as the discipline itself covering GIS, RS, Physical and Cultural/ Human geography.
Awesome place to work
Desktop Technician (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSOctober 21, 2017
USM iTech is the best place to work on campus. We have the best manager on campus. The work environment is so relaxed and everyone gets along with one another. It’s a family place to be. We get our work done and have plenty of time to enjoy the day. Good place to learn and advance in knowledge working in networking, Security, desktop support and helpdesk. Also employees can take free classes a semester.
Pros
Good work environment, Advancment, state benefits, free classes, discounts on food.
Cons
Budget cuts, hard to compete with other universities pay.