University of Southern Mississippi Employee Reviews

fun and hard work
Student Equipment Manager (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSNovember 12, 2016
University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, Experienced in intercollegiate athletics.
scholarships get a great quality education from a high profi
Pros
Education
Cons
Educational and productive environment with a high optimism level.
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSSeptember 25, 2016
This job has been very educational and productive. I have the chance to meet students from all over and help them over come their insecurities with mathematics. Everyone in the office is optimistic, ready and willing to make sure the students get the most help they need. My bosses make sure I have anything I need to better assist the students. Also, it is an environment that makes any and everyone feel welcome. At times it can be difficult when students are too shame to seek help but it is a joy helping them understand I am there to help and not judge. I love being able to help someone understand what they have never understood and them coming back to tell me that they have passed the tests and class.
Pros
Free printing
Cons
Can not eat inside the building
Good Felxiable mployer
Senior Practicum (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSSeptember 7, 2016
I worked part time for this employer. My supervisor was very understanding of the fact that I had classes to attend and was flexible with me about my work hours.

A typical work day for me was that I would arrive in the afternoon, greet my work colleagues and then sit down at my assigned computer and begin working. Things that learned while doing this job was how to correct Metadata.
Pros
Flexiable hours
Not a bad place to work
ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 30, 2016
Nice place to work but change in supervision and focus of the doing business made it difficult to work there.

Students were happy and received customer satisfaction during my tenure. Programs and information were ran through the international office.
Pros
University setting, serving students, productive environment, making a differnce in the lives of students, exposure to different culturesmy motivation.
Cons
Lack of structure and guidance to evaluate the current programs.
Enjoyable Atmosphere to work in
Scientific & Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 17, 2016
My two year tenure here at The University of Southern Mississippi has given me ample opportunities to grow in the workplace, specifically in the biological sciences. I have trained many different students as well as faculty on a plethora of differing research instrumentation, as well as build a solid rapport with faculty and service employees from an array of differing scientific companies. The hardest part of the job has been maintaining an in depth understanding of all the scientific equipment and techniques compromising all of the core research facilities I manage and oversee.
Pros
Nice, friendly university atmosphere
Cons
Retirement benefits
ok
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJuly 23, 2016
I was an ok job. it made enough money to get the bills paid. I prefer to never work there again tho. Co workers is what makes it the worst they complain everyday about the same old stuff. If you try to move up then they really do not like you because you are not just like them.
Productive fun workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMay 20, 2016
The management made each day enjoyable and my co-workers were more like my family members. A typical work day involved me working the desk and associating with several individuals.
productive, great place to work, manager is a great manager,
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMay 11, 2016
Busy environment, lots going on. Co-workers are very helpful and knowledgeable. This is a new environment for me, different job type. Learning a lot.
Upbeat, fast-paced environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSApril 26, 2016
The University of Southern Mississippi has an amazing staff and faculty. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people each and every day.
Gained a lot of skills in procedure writing, CAP,
Laboratory Instructor, Medical Laboratory Science (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSApril 21, 2016
Exciting place to work. I started a Microbiology Department for Puckett Laboratory at River Oaks while they still managed it.
Cons
worked by myself--long hours
Good employer but compensation was limited.
Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMarch 30, 2016
Work - developed programs to identify and establish relations with potential donors.

Learned - about ways to work with donors.

Management - outstanding.

Co-workers - all were a pleasure to work with.

Hardest - understanding the complexity of the various language disorders.

Enjoyable - working to support the mission of this group.
Pros
Numerous holidays
Cons
Poor compensation
Easy going and have computers for some entertainment
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMarch 23, 2016
I come in to work that morning and continue with my research and grading papers. Professor is there supervising and to help if needed.
Good for students with a busy schedule
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMarch 13, 2016
This job is good for students who have a busy schedule during the day and need a job overnight. Gives you plenty of time to work on your homework.
Productive and fun workplace
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJanuary 28, 2016
I work overnight at the front desk. I learned the importance of getting sleep during the day. Management wasn't bad. The hardest part of the job was having to work the night shift and getting up for an early class. I did enjoy the freedom that management would give all their employees.
Go to grad school
graduate assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSDecember 15, 2015
Working as a graduate assistant helped me to be able to afford going to school for my graduate degree and focus on my studies.
Skilled Master Level Social Worker with Doctorate in Behavioral Health
Presentation (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSSeptember 11, 2015
Monday- Friday
8am-5pm
Coordinator
Enjoy working with children with developmental disabilities and their families.
Good place to work and great benefits
Landscaper/Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 26, 2015
I think the university is a great place to work. They involve there students in all areas. The benefits are good. While working full time you can attend classes. You get two classes free each semester. One you can take while you are at work.
Very Productive Years
Visiting Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 23, 2015
There is a lot of joy to see young adults get turned onto chemistry. This was by far the easiest job I had because of my passion for teaching. I had great support from the faculty and staff at USM. I will always remember the great time at USM.
Pros
Great faculty and staff
wonderful work enviroment
Simulation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Gautier, MSAugust 22, 2015
I enjoyed working for the University of Southern Mississippi. The best part of my job was the on the job experience and knowledge of management on any given subject. The worst part of my job was knowing that it was a contractual job and would not last long enough.
Pros
managements knowledge of given subjects
Cons
temporary position
great organization
Business Analyst/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 11, 2015
love working here. good people. interesting environment. lots of opportunity to learn. love getting more involved in giving back through the overall efforts of the university.
Pros
comraderie
Cons
salary

4.5