University of Southern Mississippi Employee Reviews

Something I would do for fun
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSSeptember 9, 2013
I was chosen as an undergraduate teaching assistant in the geosciences department to undertake this special opportunity. I was an instructor for lab courses and chosen based on my academic performance and responsibility I displayed in school.
My responsibilities included instructing lab courses several times a week and grading students' performances in the classroom. Being an instructor helped me grow in public speaking, interpersonal relations, multitasking, time-management, and knowledge of the geosciences. Each week I was required to prepare a new lesson for students to undertake based on a guideline set by the department.
One of the most difficult parts of the job was communicating the subject matter to the students in a way that they would perform to both mine and their expectations in class. While a difficult part of the job, I enjoyed displaying patience and excitement for the subject matter in a manner that would spread to my students. Bringing knowledge into people's lives is something I will always enjoy doing no matter the circumstance.
Pros
free knowledge, new relationships, flexible with school
Cons
hours sometimes extended late into the night but were not required by the school
Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJune 16, 2015
I was able to work this part time job and study for my classes at the same time. The job also paid my tuition for the semesters that I worked it. I answered the phone for the School of Accountancy, graded exams, proctored exams, and ran errands for the director and the business manager of the School of Accountancy. I also worked on some projects for Beta Alpha Psi during my time as a graduate assistant. The business manager was the one who I reported to and I was able to go to her with any questions or concerns I had while performing my job. I enjoyed being able to work with other graduate students, as well as help those in the undergraduate accounting program. Helping others helps me learn or remember concepts I may have not understood or forgot about. There really was not anything hard about this job.
Pros
paid tuition, health insurance
Great.
Volleyball Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSSeptember 12, 2014
Each day at camp with focuses on a variety of skills including passing, setting and hitting. We go to go through several drills to help them get hands on experience with the game. Once having gone through the drills and games needed, we divided the girls onto teams to initiate an actual game. The toughest part of the job is being able to find the correct coaching method that works for each girl. Every athlete is different. They each learn by different coaching methods. Coaching is my passion and after each girl that I coach, I learn something different. These girls teach me just as much as I teach them. For me, however, it is so rewarding to get to see these girls become better at something they love and to know that I played a part in that.
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Law Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJune 13, 2012
A typical day at work was the night shift. I preformed the normal duties of patrol officer.
I learned never to accept things as they appear. Dig untill you find the truth. I learned to treat everyone fairly as in the way I would want any member of my family to be treated.
Management supported us by allowing the night shift to preform its duties with minimum supervision.
The co-workers I had came from differnt back grounds, but we worked well together to do ou jobs.
The hardest part of the job was sleeping during the day.
When someone would tell you that you had made a positive impact on their life.
Pros
the ablity ot attend classes at usm
Cons
set days off.
Close-knit multidisciplinary department
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJanuary 9, 2012
Small, well organized and maintained campus in Hattiesburg with excellent library facilities. USM has an first-rate polymer science department, in particular. In addition to Geography and Geology in Walker Science Building there is also an extension campus on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and a Coastal Research program affiliated with Geography and Geology based out of Stennis Space Center. Coastal Research enjoys first-rate laboratory and research facilities operating within a government installation.
Pros
excellent facilities at stennis space center
Cons
limited funds available for ra's and gta's
Productive and meaningful experiences with diverse families, university students, children and colleagues
Family Resource Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSDecember 3, 2013
The most wonderful aspect of the University of Southern Mississippi's Center for Child Development is the commitment to instilling a life-long love and zeal for learning for young children while also promoting the appreciation and application of developmentally appropriate, best practices for early childhood educational approaches, family-centered developmental interventions and relationship-based, constructivist learning.
Pros
knowledgable in dap, culturally diverse, rewarding
Cons
stressful at times
Jumping through hoops.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMay 29, 2012
Being an RA for USM is a largely person to person experience since so much is dependent on the Hall and Residents you supervise. The requirements for every position however are tantamount to jumping through hopes so the University can claim to be making a difference in student lives. The Dept of Res Life actually think that RA Programs will affect retention rates which is asinine. It is free room and board though so it does come recommended.
Pros
free room and board.
Cons
dealing with bureaucratic nonsense.
Very tough work, but the fellow grad students are very supportive.
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSFebruary 5, 2014
I worked here as a graduate researcher. As with any other graduate program there is a lot expected. The work is very difficult and takes up most of your time. The atmosphere, however, in the Polymer Science department at Southern Miss is exceptional. The other graduate students (fellow employees) create an environment that is pleasant to work in through a culture of mutual support.
Very Friendly environment with good communication and cooperation between employees
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stennis Space Center, MSJanuary 21, 2015
- Friendly environment for relaxed exposure to work but fit to time requirement

- Time management and operation of hydrographic survey

- Great management group with great support

- keeping up with the requirement of others or 3rd party

- Very Sociable environment
Pros
friendly environment and good work exposure
Cons
low pay scale
Productive and helpful
911 Telecommunicator (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJune 8, 2014
A typical day at work is long and laid back. I've learned a great deal about the campus and the management is pretty good. My co-workers are very understanding if I need to switch days with someone to take care of business. The hardest part of my job is hearing people crying about a certain incident. The most enjoyable will be some of my co workers.
Pros
lots of laughs
Cons
no breaks at all!

Want to know more about University of Southern Mississippi?

Ask a question
Great Place, Great People
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSApril 12, 2012
Teaching at USM has been delightful. I feel like I have the control to teach my students the way I'd like to, and that my pedagogical choices are supported. Taking teaching risks is encouraged, which keeps things fresh, and my abilities ever-growing.
Pros
great environment, great resources, great people
Cons
overworked/underpaid (but they know this)
Great environment with flexibility
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 3, 2012
The job very rarely became a high stress situation, but when it did, there were usually other co-workers that would come and help. The hardest part were the emergencies that would require specific wording when writing an incident report, but the enjoyable parts of the job were when we were able to build a community with the residents
wonderful work enviroment
Simulation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Gautier, MSAugust 22, 2015
I enjoyed working for the University of Southern Mississippi. The best part of my job was the on the job experience and knowledge of management on any given subject. The worst part of my job was knowing that it was a contractual job and would not last long enough.
Pros
managements knowledge of given subjects
Cons
temporary position
Relaxing environment to work in
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJune 15, 2015
A typical day for me was very short. I only worked 4 hours a day. They seemed to appreciate the fact that I was a student, and allowed to work as I needed for school. The job allowed me to concentrate more on my education. Although the job didn't really allow for intellectual growth, the management was ready to work with my schedule.
Productive and fun workplace
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJanuary 28, 2016
I work overnight at the front desk. I learned the importance of getting sleep during the day. Management wasn't bad. The hardest part of the job was having to work the night shift and getting up for an early class. I did enjoy the freedom that management would give all their employees.
Very Productive Years
Visiting Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 23, 2015
There is a lot of joy to see young adults get turned onto chemistry. This was by far the easiest job I had because of my passion for teaching. I had great support from the faculty and staff at USM. I will always remember the great time at USM.
Pros
Great faculty and staff
Good place to work and great benefits
Landscaper/Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 26, 2015
I think the university is a great place to work. They involve there students in all areas. The benefits are good. While working full time you can attend classes. You get two classes free each semester. One you can take while you are at work.
Challenging environent and a great reward.
Manager University Budget Office (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMay 5, 2015
The job was very challenging. A typical workday consisted of resolving budget conflicts and making budget to actual comparisons. Also, various ad hoc reports were prepared as needed by CFO and IHL officials.
Taught a different courses than I had previously.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, MSMarch 3, 2014
My supervisor was very helpful and supportive.

I taught Technical Writing--which I had not before taught--and also taught American Lit.

The students were bright and willing to participate in class discussions with ease.
Fun place to work got to meet a lot of new people
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  hattiesburg,msJuly 11, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of me clocking in 10mins early and signing in online. I'd clock out 10mins early because the next person would be there at the appropriate time.
Pros
free internet and tv
Cons
no health benefits

4.5