University of Southern Mississippi Employee Reviews in United States

Good employer but compensation was limited.
Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMarch 30, 2016
Work - developed programs to identify and establish relations with potential donors.

Learned - about ways to work with donors.

Management - outstanding.

Co-workers - all were a pleasure to work with.

Hardest - understanding the complexity of the various language disorders.

Enjoyable - working to support the mission of this group.
Pros
Numerous holidays
Cons
Poor compensation
Enjoyable Atmosphere to work in
Scientific & Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 17, 2016
My two year tenure here at The University of Southern Mississippi has given me ample opportunities to grow in the workplace, specifically in the biological sciences. I have trained many different students as well as faculty on a plethora of differing research instrumentation, as well as build a solid rapport with faculty and service employees from an array of differing scientific companies. The hardest part of the job has been maintaining an in depth understanding of all the scientific equipment and techniques compromising all of the core research facilities I manage and oversee.
Pros
Nice, friendly university atmosphere
Cons
Retirement benefits
Good place to work and great benefits
Landscaper/Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 26, 2015
I think the university is a great place to work. They involve there students in all areas. The benefits are good. While working full time you can attend classes. You get two classes free each semester. One you can take while you are at work.
Great place
Technician II (Former Employee) –  Ocean Springs, MSAugust 5, 2015
Worked there for most of my IT career, great place, atmosphere and benefits! I had the opportunity to work at the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, one of USM's satellite campuses with a great bunch of people. Will miss them!
great organization
Business Analyst/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 11, 2015
love working here. good people. interesting environment. lots of opportunity to learn. love getting more involved in giving back through the overall efforts of the university.
Pros
comraderie
Cons
salary
ok
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJuly 23, 2016
I was an ok job. it made enough money to get the bills paid. I prefer to never work there again tho. Co workers is what makes it the worst they complain everyday about the same old stuff. If you try to move up then they really do not like you because you are not just like them.
Productive and fun workplace
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJanuary 28, 2016
I work overnight at the front desk. I learned the importance of getting sleep during the day. Management wasn't bad. The hardest part of the job was having to work the night shift and getting up for an early class. I did enjoy the freedom that management would give all their employees.
Productive fun workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMay 20, 2016
The management made each day enjoyable and my co-workers were more like my family members. A typical work day involved me working the desk and associating with several individuals.
productive, great place to work, manager is a great manager,
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMay 11, 2016
Busy environment, lots going on. Co-workers are very helpful and knowledgeable. This is a new environment for me, different job type. Learning a lot.
Gained a lot of skills in procedure writing, CAP,
Laboratory Instructor, Medical Laboratory Science (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSApril 21, 2016
Exciting place to work. I started a Microbiology Department for Puckett Laboratory at River Oaks while they still managed it.
Cons
worked by myself--long hours
Upbeat, fast-paced environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSApril 26, 2016
The University of Southern Mississippi has an amazing staff and faculty. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people each and every day.
Good for students with a busy schedule
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMarch 13, 2016
This job is good for students who have a busy schedule during the day and need a job overnight. Gives you plenty of time to work on your homework.
Easy going and have computers for some entertainment
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMarch 23, 2016
I come in to work that morning and continue with my research and grading papers. Professor is there supervising and to help if needed.
Go to grad school
graduate assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSDecember 15, 2015
Working as a graduate assistant helped me to be able to afford going to school for my graduate degree and focus on my studies.
Fun place to work got to meet a lot of new people
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  hattiesburg,msJuly 11, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of me clocking in 10mins early and signing in online. I'd clock out 10mins early because the next person would be there at the appropriate time.
Pros
free internet and tv
Cons
no health benefits
wonderful work enviroment
Simulation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Gautier, MSAugust 22, 2015
I enjoyed working for the University of Southern Mississippi. The best part of my job was the on the job experience and knowledge of management on any given subject. The worst part of my job was knowing that it was a contractual job and would not last long enough.
Pros
managements knowledge of given subjects
Cons
temporary position
Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJune 16, 2015
I was able to work this part time job and study for my classes at the same time. The job also paid my tuition for the semesters that I worked it. I answered the phone for the School of Accountancy, graded exams, proctored exams, and ran errands for the director and the business manager of the School of Accountancy. I also worked on some projects for Beta Alpha Psi during my time as a graduate assistant. The business manager was the one who I reported to and I was able to go to her with any questions or concerns I had while performing my job. I enjoyed being able to work with other graduate students, as well as help those in the undergraduate accounting program. Helping others helps me learn or remember concepts I may have not understood or forgot about. There really was not anything hard about this job.
Pros
paid tuition, health insurance
Great place to work!
Adjunct Professor of English (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, MississippiAugust 15, 2014
Like all public institutions, I wish they paid more and offered benefits to adjuncts.
Enjoyed working with students
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSNovember 26, 2012
Interact with students and co-workers. Reason for leaving job was to move to Nashville with my husband.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
pay scale wasn't the best
Relaxing environment to work in
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJune 15, 2015
A typical day for me was very short. I only worked 4 hours a day. They seemed to appreciate the fact that I was a student, and allowed to work as I needed for school. The job allowed me to concentrate more on my education. Although the job didn't really allow for intellectual growth, the management was ready to work with my schedule.

4.5