University of Southern Mississippi

University of Southern Mississippi Employer Reviews

Productive and helpful
911 Telecommunicator (Current Employee), Hattiesburg, MSJune 8, 2014
Pros: lots of laughs
Cons: no breaks at all!
A typical day at work is long and laid back. I've learned a great deal about the campus and the management is pretty good. My co-workers are very understanding if I need to switch days with someone to take care of business. The hardest part of my job is hearing people crying about a certain incident. The most enjoyable will be some of my co workers.
Great place to work with excellent management.
Custodian (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSMay 19, 2014
Management did an outstanding job in making sure the workplace was enjoyable. We often had cookouts within the Residence Life department, and tackled every task as a team.
Nice office-style work environment with an open door policy
Associate Forensics Director (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSMay 15, 2014
I enjoy working as an administrative assistant: I get to help professors with various tasks, assist in typical office work, and update the website for the program.
Loved my office!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSMay 2, 2014
The interaction with the professors, graduate students and undergraduate students was the best part!
Taught a different courses than I had previously.
Instructor (Former Employee), Long Beach, MSMarch 3, 2014
My supervisor was very helpful and supportive.

I taught Technical Writing--which I had not before taught--and also taught American Lit.

The students were bright and willing to participate in class discussions with ease.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: environment
Cons: test days
Great environment
Mentors
Team leaders
Students
NA
Associate Head Coach (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: relationships
Cons: time from my kids
I have 19 years experience at the College level. I enjoyed my time working there.
Very tough work, but the fellow grad students are very supportive.
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Hattiesburg, MSFebruary 5, 2014
I worked here as a graduate researcher. As with any other graduate program there is a lot expected. The work is very difficult and takes up most of your time. The atmosphere, however, in the Polymer Science department at Southern Miss is exceptional. The other graduate students (fellow employees) create an environment that is pleasant to work in through – more... a culture of mutual support. – less
Good job experience
Visiting Assistant Professor (Current Employee), Hattiesburg, MSJanuary 21, 2014
Great university to work for.
Teaching load is manageable.
Colleagues are extremely nice and helpful.
The college environment keeps you young at heart.
Great learning environment
Student Worker/Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSJanuary 3, 2014
This position enabled me to learn a lot about grant funded research, data collection and data entry.
Nice environment for student
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Long Beach, MSDecember 21, 2013
This was a good environment for students. It worked well with my schedule but was only temporary
Productive and meaningful experiences with diverse families, university students, children and colleagues
Family Resource Coordinator (Current Employee), Hattiesburg, MSDecember 3, 2013
Pros: knowledgable in dap, culturally diverse, rewarding
Cons: stressful at times
The most wonderful aspect of the University of Southern Mississippi's Center for Child Development is the commitment to instilling a life-long love and zeal for learning for young children while also promoting the appreciation and application of developmentally appropriate, best practices for early childhood educational approaches, family-centered developmental – more... interventions and relationship-based, constructivist learning. – less
Productive environment
Receptionist (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSOctober 10, 2013
Pros: independence
Cons: short term position
Enjoyed my co workers. Enjoyed working independently. Met many students from different countries.
I love working for the University
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Hattiesburg MsOctober 3, 2013
Pros: free classes
Cons: parking can be challenging
A typical day at work can be fast paste, but I've learned to satisfy one person at a time. I've learned a lot at the university and I'm still learning how to adjust to different personalities and different needs. My manager and co-workers work together in getting tasks completed that's why I enjoy working with them and around them. The hardest part – more... of my job is trying to please everyone everyday, I've learned that it's impossible to please everyone everyday, so whatever services I render, I do it with a warm smile and gratitude. I enjoy my job because I get the chance to interact with a lot of diverse people and backgrounds. It's fun interacting with them and learning from them. I enjoy the knowledge and encouragement I'm receiving. – less
Great place for a student-employee
Facilities Supervisor (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSSeptember 12, 2013
Pros: long-lasting relationships
Cons: i wish i could have made it a full-time gig
If you're in school at Southern Miss and looking for a job, please fill out an application at the Payne Center on campus. You won't regret it!
Something I would do for fun
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: free knowledge, new relationships, flexible with school
Cons: hours sometimes extended late into the night but were not required by the school
I was chosen as an undergraduate teaching assistant in the geosciences department to undertake this special opportunity. I was an instructor for lab courses and chosen based on my academic performance and responsibility I displayed in school.
My responsibilities included instructing lab courses several times a week and grading students' performances – more... in the classroom. Being an instructor helped me grow in public speaking, interpersonal relations, multitasking, time-management, and knowledge of the geosciences. Each week I was required to prepare a new lesson for students to undertake based on a guideline set by the department.
One of the most difficult parts of the job was communicating the subject matter to the students in a way that they would perform to both mine and their expectations in class. While a difficult part of the job, I enjoyed displaying patience and excitement for the subject matter in a manner that would spread to my students. Bringing knowledge into people's lives is something I will always enjoy doing no matter the circumstance. – less
AMAZING School
Student (Former Employee), Long Beach, MSAugust 22, 2013
Pros: involvement, education
As a student, I had the most amazing experience on the Gulf Park Campus. The professors get to know you outside of your student status and you know you're not just a number.
A very Friendly bureaucracy
Adjunct English Teacher (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSAugust 19, 2013
They were very accommodating. Working at a University always teaches you how to deal with various people and problems to find resolution.
Desk Assistant
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee), Petal,MSJuly 26, 2013
I collected all packages and delivered to the apporpriate people, assisted the resident director with all needs, answered the phone, and helped residents with all their needs.
Great with helping the Community
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Long Beach, MSJune 23, 2013
Great non-profit that promotes community service and higher expectation for all. Great place to work and get educated.