University of Southern Mississippi Employee Reviews

Enjoyable Atmosphere to work in
Scientific & Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 17, 2016
My two year tenure here at The University of Southern Mississippi has given me ample opportunities to grow in the workplace, specifically in the biological sciences. I have trained many different students as well as faculty on a plethora of differing research instrumentation, as well as build a solid rapport with faculty and service employees from an array of differing scientific companies. The hardest part of the job has been maintaining an in depth understanding of all the scientific equipment and techniques compromising all of the core research facilities I manage and oversee.
Pros
Nice, friendly university atmosphere
Cons
Retirement benefits
Excellent Place to Work and Grow as a Student and Employee
Student Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSFebruary 28, 2017
I enjoy both jobs I hold at The University of Southern Mississippi immensely. The University has given me a great opportunity to enrich the minds of fellow students, all the while working towards my degree in Urban Planning, Development and Management. These jobs have helped me with my three E's of development: Education, Equality and Economics.
Pros
Free Printing, Great Work Environment
Cons
N/A
Good employer but compensation was limited.
Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMarch 30, 2016
Work - developed programs to identify and establish relations with potential donors.

Learned - about ways to work with donors.

Management - outstanding.

Co-workers - all were a pleasure to work with.

Hardest - understanding the complexity of the various language disorders.

Enjoyable - working to support the mission of this group.
Pros
Numerous holidays
Cons
Poor compensation
Educational and productive environment with a high optimism level.
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSSeptember 25, 2016
This job has been very educational and productive. I have the chance to meet students from all over and help them over come their insecurities with mathematics. Everyone in the office is optimistic, ready and willing to make sure the students get the most help they need. My bosses make sure I have anything I need to better assist the students. Also, it is an environment that makes any and everyone feel welcome. At times it can be difficult when students are too shame to seek help but it is a joy helping them understand I am there to help and not judge. I love being able to help someone understand what they have never understood and them coming back to tell me that they have passed the tests and class.
Pros
Free printing
Cons
Can not eat inside the building
Molecules to Mechanics in 5 days
Composites Manufacturing Manager (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSFebruary 3, 2017
Work is low stress.
Politics are everywhere.
I have a great boss.
It's by far the best job I have ever had.
The ability to come and go and I wish.
The drive, 75 miles one way.
Pros
Flexible time
Cons
The drive to work 75 minutes one way
Not a bad place to work
ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 30, 2016
Nice place to work but change in supervision and focus of the doing business made it difficult to work there.

Students were happy and received customer satisfaction during my tenure. Programs and information were ran through the international office.
Pros
University setting, serving students, productive environment, making a differnce in the lives of students, exposure to different culturesmy motivation.
Cons
Lack of structure and guidance to evaluate the current programs.
Great Job
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSFebruary 16, 2017
For a student, this is a perfect place to work. They really work with your schedule as far as classes, and they do understand that you are a student so they stress keeping your grades up before work.
Why is this required?
Graduate research assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSDecember 20, 2016
Gained valuable experience I hope to utilize in a full time work environment. Everything I would put here you can find on my resume.
sdanklf
deck (Former Employee) –  Ocean Springs, MSMarch 4, 2017
the job was great. team members were good and great company to work for. trips on boat were excellenmt and so was the food. overall i am completely satisfied.
Good Felxiable mployer
Senior Practicum (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSSeptember 7, 2016
I worked part time for this employer. My supervisor was very understanding of the fact that I had classes to attend and was flexible with me about my work hours.

A typical work day for me was that I would arrive in the afternoon, greet my work colleagues and then sit down at my assigned computer and begin working. Things that learned while doing this job was how to correct Metadata.
Pros
Flexiable hours
fun and hard work
Student Equipment Manager (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSNovember 12, 2016
University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, Experienced in intercollegiate athletics.
scholarships get a great quality education from a high profi
Pros
Education
Great place
Technician II (Former Employee) –  Ocean Springs, MSAugust 5, 2015
Worked there for most of my IT career, great place, atmosphere and benefits! I had the opportunity to work at the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, one of USM's satellite campuses with a great bunch of people. Will miss them!
ok
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJuly 23, 2016
I was an ok job. it made enough money to get the bills paid. I prefer to never work there again tho. Co workers is what makes it the worst they complain everyday about the same old stuff. If you try to move up then they really do not like you because you are not just like them.
Good place to work and great benefits
Landscaper/Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 26, 2015
I think the university is a great place to work. They involve there students in all areas. The benefits are good. While working full time you can attend classes. You get two classes free each semester. One you can take while you are at work.
great organization
Business Analyst/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 11, 2015
love working here. good people. interesting environment. lots of opportunity to learn. love getting more involved in giving back through the overall efforts of the university.
Pros
comraderie
Cons
salary
Productive fun workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMay 20, 2016
The management made each day enjoyable and my co-workers were more like my family members. A typical work day involved me working the desk and associating with several individuals.
Gained a lot of skills in procedure writing, CAP,
Laboratory Instructor, Medical Laboratory Science (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSApril 21, 2016
Exciting place to work. I started a Microbiology Department for Puckett Laboratory at River Oaks while they still managed it.
Cons
worked by myself--long hours
Fun place to work got to meet a lot of new people
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  hattiesburg,msJuly 11, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of me clocking in 10mins early and signing in online. I'd clock out 10mins early because the next person would be there at the appropriate time.
Pros
Free internet and TV
Cons
No health benefits
Enjoyed working with students
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSNovember 26, 2012
Interact with students and co-workers. Reason for leaving job was to move to Nashville with my husband.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
pay scale wasn't the best
productive, great place to work, manager is a great manager,
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMay 11, 2016
Busy environment, lots going on. Co-workers are very helpful and knowledgeable. This is a new environment for me, different job type. Learning a lot.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Southern Mississippi. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5