University of Southern Mississippi Employee Reviews

Good place to work and great benefits
Landscaper/Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 26, 2015
I think the university is a great place to work. They involve there students in all areas. The benefits are good. While working full time you can attend classes. You get two classes free each semester. One you can take while you are at work.
Very Productive Years
Visiting Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 23, 2015
There is a lot of joy to see young adults get turned onto chemistry. This was by far the easiest job I had because of my passion for teaching. I had great support from the faculty and staff at USM. I will always remember the great time at USM.
Pros
Great faculty and staff
wonderful work enviroment
Simulation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Gautier, MSAugust 22, 2015
I enjoyed working for the University of Southern Mississippi. The best part of my job was the on the job experience and knowledge of management on any given subject. The worst part of my job was knowing that it was a contractual job and would not last long enough.
Pros
managements knowledge of given subjects
Cons
temporary position
great organization
Business Analyst/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 11, 2015
love working here. good people. interesting environment. lots of opportunity to learn. love getting more involved in giving back through the overall efforts of the university.
Pros
comraderie
Cons
salary
Productive workplace fit for learning and growing.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 10, 2015
This opportunity allowed me to explore my talents. It gave me the space to affect change on a group and individual level with the help of capable teachers.
Great place
Technician II (Former Employee) –  Ocean Springs, MSAugust 5, 2015
Worked there for most of my IT career, great place, atmosphere and benefits! I had the opportunity to work at the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, one of USM's satellite campuses with a great bunch of people. Will miss them!
Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJune 16, 2015
I was able to work this part time job and study for my classes at the same time. The job also paid my tuition for the semesters that I worked it. I answered the phone for the School of Accountancy, graded exams, proctored exams, and ran errands for the director and the business manager of the School of Accountancy. I also worked on some projects for Beta Alpha Psi during my time as a graduate assistant.  more... The business manager was the one who I reported to and I was able to go to her with any questions or concerns I had while performing my job. I enjoyed being able to work with other graduate students, as well as help those in the undergraduate accounting program. Helping others helps me learn or remember concepts I may have not understood or forgot about. There really was not anything hard about this job.  less
Pros
paid tuition, health insurance
Relaxing environment to work in
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJune 15, 2015
A typical day for me was very short. I only worked 4 hours a day. They seemed to appreciate the fact that I was a student, and allowed to work as I needed for school. The job allowed me to concentrate more on my education. Although the job didn't really allow for intellectual growth, the management was ready to work with my schedule.
Challenging environent and a great reward.
Manager University Budget Office (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMay 5, 2015
The job was very challenging. A typical workday consisted of resolving budget conflicts and making budget to actual comparisons. Also, various ad hoc reports were prepared as needed by CFO and IHL officials.
Interacting with children
Lab Student (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSApril 11, 2015
I learned how to interact with children better.
I observe children two hours each week for class
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping children learn.
USM
Student Academic Mentor (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMarch 26, 2015
USM has been great to me. The only issue is that the pay is not that great and you are not always guaranteed a job. They treat their employees like royalty though.
Great experience
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  MicrobiologyMarch 13, 2015
Research and teaching microbiology.
I have learned many skills from planning and time management, creativity and lateral thinking, ability to read and understand people and of course excellent presentation skills.
Manager
LEND Trainee (Former Employee) –  hattisburg,msFebruary 3, 2015
I enjoyed my time spent. fun times. i really wish i could go back to continue with a phd program. The staff was very helpful.
Very Friendly environment with good communication and cooperation between employees
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stennis Space Center, MSJanuary 21, 2015
- Friendly environment for relaxed exposure to work but fit to time requirement

- Time management and operation of hydrographic survey

- Great management group with great support

- keeping up with the requirement of others or 3rd party

- Very Sociable environment
Pros
friendly environment and good work exposure
Cons
low pay scale
Great.
Volleyball Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSSeptember 12, 2014
Each day at camp with focuses on a variety of skills including passing, setting and hitting. We go to go through several drills to help them get hands on experience with the game. Once having gone through the drills and games needed, we divided the girls onto teams to initiate an actual game. The toughest part of the job is being able to find the correct coaching method that works for each girl. Every athlete is different. They each learn by different coaching methods. Coaching is my passion and after each girl that I coach, I learn something different. These girls teach me just as much as I teach them. For me, however, it is so rewarding to get to see these girls become better at something they love and to know that I played a part in that.
Fun
Volunteer Essay Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSSeptember 3, 2014
I enjoyed tutoring students that were struggling in courses and state tests. I didn't even mind not being paid because it lightened me up to see the students passing.
Grerat job
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 20, 2014
Best job I have ever had
Love the people
Management was great
Pros
balance work life great pay
Great place to work!
Adjunct Professor of English (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, MississippiAugust 15, 2014
Like all public institutions, I wish they paid more and offered benefits to adjuncts.
Great opportunity to learn
Academic Assistant - Office of Gifted Studies (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 5, 2014
Wonderful staff with remarkable accomplishments. Gave several opportunities to grow; however, the position could be time consuming.
A pretty average Graduate experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant/Instructor and Editor (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJuly 25, 2014
It was a fairly average graduate experience. They treat grad assistants with respect and do not overwork them generally. Class sizes can be large.

4.5