University of Southern Mississippi

University of Southern Mississippi Employer Reviews

A very Friendly bureaucracy
Adjunct English Teacher (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSAugust 19, 2013
They were very accommodating. Working at a University always teaches you how to deal with various people and problems to find resolution.
Desk Assistant
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee), Petal,MSJuly 26, 2013
I collected all packages and delivered to the apporpriate people, assisted the resident director with all needs, answered the phone, and helped residents with all their needs.
Great with helping the Community
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Long Beach, MSJune 23, 2013
Great non-profit that promotes community service and higher expectation for all. Great place to work and get educated.
Easy going laid back place to work
Dishwasher (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSJune 22, 2013
Pros: free lunch
cool and interesting co-workers, its a college cafateria so mad a lot of friends. managments easy going. worst part of the day is cleaning up at the end of night.
Good relationship between students and faculty.
Graduate Student (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSMay 22, 2013
Went back to USM for a year to complete a graduate degree in English to broaden my job prospects while I was between jobs.
Great work place
Research Student (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSApril 18, 2013
Enjoyed working there! Encourag other to apply for employment there.
Auditorium Manager
Auditorium Manager (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSApril 15, 2013
This was an assistantship position lasting two years. Ran lights, sound, and stage crew operations for campus performance venue
Valuable learning opportunity
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSFebruary 25, 2013
Graduate school work including assistantship at Gentle Path, a residential treatment facility for sex addiction.
My experience working and externing
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSFebruary 11, 2013
My working and externing experience has been worth while. I've gained a sense of productiveness and also learning how to deal with certain people different attitudes in a professional respectful way. Patience is a must when working in any field and I place it first before any working morals I've learn along the way.
student internship
Student Internship (Former Employee), hattiesburg, msJanuary 6, 2013
Pros: interesting, fast paced, fun
Cons: low pay and long hours
i enjoyed my experience with this student internship because it gave me a chance to have an inside look at how a college athletic department is run.
Nice place to work
Business Syststems Analyst (Current Employee), Hattiesburg, MSDecember 11, 2012
Pros: opportunities
Cons: health coverage not so great
Nice place to work with great opportunities. The campus culture is old school with new technology. The management is old school.
Enjoyed working with students
Secretary (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSNovember 26, 2012
Pros: great benefits
Cons: pay scale wasn't the best
Interact with students and co-workers. Reason for leaving job was to move to Nashville with my husband.
Great environment with flexibility
Desk Assistant (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSAugust 3, 2012
The job very rarely became a high stress situation, but when it did, there were usually other co-workers that would come and help. The hardest part were the emergencies that would require specific wording when writing an incident report, but the enjoyable parts of the job were when we were able to build a community with the residents
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Law Enforcement Officer (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSJune 13, 2012
Pros: the ablity ot attend classes at usm
Cons: set days off.
A typical day at work was the night shift. I preformed the normal duties of patrol officer.
I learned never to accept things as they appear. Dig untill you find the truth. I learned to treat everyone fairly as in the way I would want any member of my family to be treated.
Management supported us by allowing the night shift to preform its duties with – more... minimum supervision.
The co-workers I had came from differnt back grounds, but we worked well together to do ou jobs.
The hardest part of the job was sleeping during the day.
When someone would tell you that you had made a positive impact on their life. – less
Jumping through hoops.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSMay 29, 2012
Pros: free room and board.
Cons: dealing with bureaucratic nonsense.
Being an RA for USM is a largely person to person experience since so much is dependent on the Hall and Residents you supervise. The requirements for every position however are tantamount to jumping through hopes so the University can claim to be making a difference in student lives. The Dept of Res Life actually think that RA Programs will affect retention – more... rates which is asinine. It is free room and board though so it does come recommended. – less
Great Place, Great People
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Hattiesburg, MSApril 12, 2012
Pros: great environment, great resources, great people
Cons: overworked/underpaid (but they know this)
Teaching at USM has been delightful. I feel like I have the control to teach my students the way I'd like to, and that my pedagogical choices are supported. Taking teaching risks is encouraged, which keeps things fresh, and my abilities ever-growing.
Close-knit multidisciplinary department
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSJanuary 9, 2012
Pros: excellent facilities at stennis space center
Cons: limited funds available for ra's and gta's
Small, well organized and maintained campus in Hattiesburg with excellent library facilities. USM has an first-rate polymer science department, in particular. In addition to Geography and Geology in Walker Science Building there is also an extension campus on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and a Coastal Research program affiliated with Geography and Geology – more... based out of Stennis Space Center. Coastal Research enjoys first-rate laboratory and research facilities operating within a government installation. – less