University of Southern Mississippi

University of Southern Mississippi Employer Reviews

I love working for the University
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Hattiesburg MsOctober 3, 2013
Pros: free classes
Cons: parking can be challenging
A typical day at work can be fast paste, but I've learned to satisfy one person at a time. I've learned a lot at the university and I'm still learning how to adjust to different personalities and different needs. My manager and co-workers work together in getting tasks completed that's why I enjoy working with them and around them. The hardest part – more... of my job is trying to please everyone everyday, I've learned that it's impossible to please everyone everyday, so whatever services I render, I do it with a warm smile and gratitude. I enjoy my job because I get the chance to interact with a lot of diverse people and backgrounds. It's fun interacting with them and learning from them. I enjoy the knowledge and encouragement I'm receiving. – less
Great place for a student-employee
Facilities Supervisor (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSSeptember 12, 2013
Pros: long-lasting relationships
Cons: i wish i could have made it a full-time gig
If you're in school at Southern Miss and looking for a job, please fill out an application at the Payne Center on campus. You won't regret it!
Something I would do for fun
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: free knowledge, new relationships, flexible with school
Cons: hours sometimes extended late into the night but were not required by the school
I was chosen as an undergraduate teaching assistant in the geosciences department to undertake this special opportunity. I was an instructor for lab courses and chosen based on my academic performance and responsibility I displayed in school.
My responsibilities included instructing lab courses several times a week and grading students' performances – more... in the classroom. Being an instructor helped me grow in public speaking, interpersonal relations, multitasking, time-management, and knowledge of the geosciences. Each week I was required to prepare a new lesson for students to undertake based on a guideline set by the department.
One of the most difficult parts of the job was communicating the subject matter to the students in a way that they would perform to both mine and their expectations in class. While a difficult part of the job, I enjoyed displaying patience and excitement for the subject matter in a manner that would spread to my students. Bringing knowledge into people's lives is something I will always enjoy doing no matter the circumstance. – less
AMAZING School
Student (Former Employee), Long Beach, MSAugust 22, 2013
Pros: involvement, education
As a student, I had the most amazing experience on the Gulf Park Campus. The professors get to know you outside of your student status and you know you're not just a number.
A very Friendly bureaucracy
Adjunct English Teacher (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSAugust 19, 2013
They were very accommodating. Working at a University always teaches you how to deal with various people and problems to find resolution.
Desk Assistant
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee), Petal,MSJuly 26, 2013
I collected all packages and delivered to the apporpriate people, assisted the resident director with all needs, answered the phone, and helped residents with all their needs.
Great with helping the Community
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Long Beach, MSJune 23, 2013
Great non-profit that promotes community service and higher expectation for all. Great place to work and get educated.
Easy going laid back place to work
Dishwasher (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSJune 22, 2013
Pros: free lunch
cool and interesting co-workers, its a college cafateria so mad a lot of friends. managments easy going. worst part of the day is cleaning up at the end of night.
Good relationship between students and faculty.
Graduate Student (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSMay 22, 2013
Went back to USM for a year to complete a graduate degree in English to broaden my job prospects while I was between jobs.
Great work place
Research Student (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSApril 18, 2013
Enjoyed working there! Encourag other to apply for employment there.
Auditorium Manager
Auditorium Manager (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSApril 15, 2013
This was an assistantship position lasting two years. Ran lights, sound, and stage crew operations for campus performance venue
Valuable learning opportunity
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSFebruary 25, 2013
Graduate school work including assistantship at Gentle Path, a residential treatment facility for sex addiction.
My experience working and externing
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSFebruary 11, 2013
My working and externing experience has been worth while. I've gained a sense of productiveness and also learning how to deal with certain people different attitudes in a professional respectful way. Patience is a must when working in any field and I place it first before any working morals I've learn along the way.
student internship
Student Internship (Former Employee), hattiesburg, msJanuary 6, 2013
Pros: interesting, fast paced, fun
Cons: low pay and long hours
i enjoyed my experience with this student internship because it gave me a chance to have an inside look at how a college athletic department is run.
Nice place to work
Business Syststems Analyst (Current Employee), Hattiesburg, MSDecember 11, 2012
Pros: opportunities
Cons: health coverage not so great
Nice place to work with great opportunities. The campus culture is old school with new technology. The management is old school.
Enjoyed working with students
Secretary (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSNovember 26, 2012
Pros: great benefits
Cons: pay scale wasn't the best
Interact with students and co-workers. Reason for leaving job was to move to Nashville with my husband.
Great environment with flexibility
Desk Assistant (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSAugust 3, 2012
The job very rarely became a high stress situation, but when it did, there were usually other co-workers that would come and help. The hardest part were the emergencies that would require specific wording when writing an incident report, but the enjoyable parts of the job were when we were able to build a community with the residents
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Law Enforcement Officer (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSJune 13, 2012
Pros: the ablity ot attend classes at usm
Cons: set days off.
A typical day at work was the night shift. I preformed the normal duties of patrol officer.
I learned never to accept things as they appear. Dig untill you find the truth. I learned to treat everyone fairly as in the way I would want any member of my family to be treated.
Management supported us by allowing the night shift to preform its duties with – more... minimum supervision.
The co-workers I had came from differnt back grounds, but we worked well together to do ou jobs.
The hardest part of the job was sleeping during the day.
When someone would tell you that you had made a positive impact on their life. – less
Jumping through hoops.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSMay 29, 2012
Pros: free room and board.
Cons: dealing with bureaucratic nonsense.
Being an RA for USM is a largely person to person experience since so much is dependent on the Hall and Residents you supervise. The requirements for every position however are tantamount to jumping through hopes so the University can claim to be making a difference in student lives. The Dept of Res Life actually think that RA Programs will affect retention – more... rates which is asinine. It is free room and board though so it does come recommended. – less
Great Place, Great People
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Hattiesburg, MSApril 12, 2012
Pros: great environment, great resources, great people
Cons: overworked/underpaid (but they know this)
Teaching at USM has been delightful. I feel like I have the control to teach my students the way I'd like to, and that my pedagogical choices are supported. Taking teaching risks is encouraged, which keeps things fresh, and my abilities ever-growing.