University of Southern Mississippi Employee Reviews in United States

Great.
Volleyball Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSSeptember 12, 2014
Each day at camp with focuses on a variety of skills including passing, setting and hitting. We go to go through several drills to help them get hands on experience with the game. Once having gone through the drills and games needed, we divided the girls onto teams to initiate an actual game. The toughest part of the job is being able to find the correct coaching method that works for each girl. Every athlete is different. They each learn by different coaching methods. Coaching is my passion and after each girl that I coach, I learn something different. These girls teach me just as much as I teach them. For me, however, it is so rewarding to get to see these girls become better at something they love and to know that I played a part in that.
Great experience
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  MicrobiologyMarch 13, 2015
Research and teaching microbiology.
I have learned many skills from planning and time management, creativity and lateral thinking, ability to read and understand people and of course excellent presentation skills.
Very tough work, but the fellow grad students are very supportive.
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSFebruary 5, 2014
I worked here as a graduate researcher. As with any other graduate program there is a lot expected. The work is very difficult and takes up most of your time. The atmosphere, however, in the Polymer Science department at Southern Miss is exceptional. The other graduate students (fellow employees) create an environment that is pleasant to work in through a culture of mutual support.
Productive and meaningful experiences with diverse families, university students, children and colleagues
Family Resource Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSDecember 3, 2013
The most wonderful aspect of the University of Southern Mississippi's Center for Child Development is the commitment to instilling a life-long love and zeal for learning for young children while also promoting the appreciation and application of developmentally appropriate, best practices for early childhood educational approaches, family-centered developmental interventions and relationship-based, constructivist learning.
Pros
knowledgable in dap, culturally diverse, rewarding
Cons
stressful at times
Productive and helpful
911 Telecommunicator (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJune 8, 2014
A typical day at work is long and laid back. I've learned a great deal about the campus and the management is pretty good. My co-workers are very understanding if I need to switch days with someone to take care of business. The hardest part of my job is hearing people crying about a certain incident. The most enjoyable will be some of my co workers.
Pros
lots of laughs
Cons
no breaks at all!
Close-knit multidisciplinary department
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJanuary 9, 2012
Small, well organized and maintained campus in Hattiesburg with excellent library facilities. USM has an first-rate polymer science department, in particular. In addition to Geography and Geology in Walker Science Building there is also an extension campus on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and a Coastal Research program affiliated with Geography and Geology based out of Stennis Space Center. Coastal Research enjoys first-rate laboratory and research facilities operating within a government installation.
Pros
excellent facilities at stennis space center
Cons
limited funds available for ra's and gta's
Jumping through hoops.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMay 29, 2012
Being an RA for USM is a largely person to person experience since so much is dependent on the Hall and Residents you supervise. The requirements for every position however are tantamount to jumping through hopes so the University can claim to be making a difference in student lives. The Dept of Res Life actually think that RA Programs will affect retention rates which is asinine. It is free room and board though so it does come recommended.
Pros
free room and board.
Cons
dealing with bureaucratic nonsense.
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Law Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJune 13, 2012
A typical day at work was the night shift. I preformed the normal duties of patrol officer.
I learned never to accept things as they appear. Dig untill you find the truth. I learned to treat everyone fairly as in the way I would want any member of my family to be treated.
Management supported us by allowing the night shift to preform its duties with minimum supervision.
The co-workers I had came from differnt back grounds, but we worked well together to do ou jobs.
The hardest part of the job was sleeping during the day.
When someone would tell you that you had made a positive impact on their life.
Pros
the ablity ot attend classes at usm
Cons
set days off.
I love working for the University
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg MsOctober 3, 2013
A typical day at work can be fast paste, but I've learned to satisfy one person at a time. I've learned a lot at the university and I'm still learning how to adjust to different personalities and different needs. My manager and co-workers work together in getting tasks completed that's why I enjoy working with them and around them. The hardest part of my job is trying to please everyone everyday, I've learned that it's impossible to please everyone everyday, so whatever services I render, I do it with a warm smile and gratitude. I enjoy my job because I get the chance to interact with a lot of diverse people and backgrounds. It's fun interacting with them and learning from them. I enjoy the knowledge and encouragement I'm receiving.
Pros
free classes
Cons
parking can be challenging
Interacting with children
Lab Student (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSApril 11, 2015
I learned how to interact with children better.
I observe children two hours each week for class
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping children learn.
Great Place, Great People
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSApril 12, 2012
Teaching at USM has been delightful. I feel like I have the control to teach my students the way I'd like to, and that my pedagogical choices are supported. Taking teaching risks is encouraged, which keeps things fresh, and my abilities ever-growing.
Pros
great environment, great resources, great people
Cons
overworked/underpaid (but they know this)
Great environment with flexibility
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 3, 2012
The job very rarely became a high stress situation, but when it did, there were usually other co-workers that would come and help. The hardest part were the emergencies that would require specific wording when writing an incident report, but the enjoyable parts of the job were when we were able to build a community with the residents
Usm
Student Academic Mentor (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMarch 26, 2015
USM has been great to me. The only issue is that the pay is not that great and you are not always guaranteed a job. They treat their employees like royalty though.
Fun place to work got to meet a lot of new people
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  hattiesburg,msJuly 11, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of me clocking in 10mins early and signing in online. I'd clock out 10mins early because the next person would be there at the appropriate time.
Pros
free internet and tv
Cons
no health benefits
Taught a different courses than I had previously.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, MSMarch 3, 2014
My supervisor was very helpful and supportive.

I taught Technical Writing--which I had not before taught--and also taught American Lit.

The students were bright and willing to participate in class discussions with ease.
Great place for a student-employee
Facilities Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSSeptember 12, 2013
If you're in school at Southern Miss and looking for a job, please fill out an application at the Payne Center on campus. You won't regret it!
Pros
long-lasting relationships
Cons
i wish i could have made it a full-time gig
Nice office-style work environment with an open door policy
Associate Forensics Director (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMay 15, 2014
I enjoy working as an administrative assistant: I get to help professors with various tasks, assist in typical office work, and update the website for the program.
A pretty average Graduate experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant/Instructor and Editor (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJuly 25, 2014
It was a fairly average graduate experience. They treat grad assistants with respect and do not overwork them generally. Class sizes can be large.
Great place to work and study.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJanuary 13, 2014
It was a great work environment. Professors were great mentors.
Pros
freedom to plan and execute work assignments with limited management intervention
Cons
it was a grant funded job, so limited security
Great place to work with excellent management.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMay 19, 2014
Management did an outstanding job in making sure the workplace was enjoyable. We often had cookouts within the Residence Life department, and tackled every task as a team.

4.5