University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Employee Reviews in United States

na
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 14, 2016
I enjoy my work, I got good benefits, management is best. i liked job culture of University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. it was my first job and I really enjoyed it a lot.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Lots of good people under pressure from poor management, local and state politics, and perennial budget cuts
Research Professor (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga TennesseeMay 20, 2015
UTC is a jewel in the largely economically and educationally barren region of central Tennessee. There are a great many hard working talented individuals at UTC interested in economic development and scholarly research. Unfortunately due to economic pressures from state and national defunding of education and federal research, and the continual turnover of leadership on many levels, the University's mission has been has been set aside in favor of short term economic goals. The result is an emphasis on less research and economic outreach, and more low level, high volume teaching, utilizing more low cost adjunct faculty.
Until the economic climate improves and leadership emerges with a long term strategic vision for the future, and a stake in the long term outcome, I cannot recommend this institution for anything other than temporary employment.
Pros
Good work life balance, flexible schedule, decent benefits.
Cons
Poor leadership, difficult economic constraints
Learned a lot
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 12, 2015
I learned something new constantly working for the biology department at UTC. Along with that, I gained references to support me throughout my future endeavors.
Utc
Resident Director & Diversity Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 6, 2015
Best kept secret in Tennessee. A great university with endless academic and social opportunities. Enriching place for incoming students looking to meet their full potential.
Pros
Opportunity for students
Cons
Budgeting
Excellent place to work as an equipment manager
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 1, 2015
It is a very fun job to work as a student equipment manager because the work is productive and extremely rewarding. Some co-workers are not very knowledgable though.
Pros
Tuition paid as a student
Cons
Lazy co-workers
Good for experience, though smaller overall pay at the end
Conference Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 28, 2015
As my very first job at the University I went to, they offered free housing on campus so I could stay. The work consisted mainly of "hotel" objectives such as preparing rooms for guests, answering questions and the phone at the front desks, checking in and out guests, maintenance calls and duties (making damage reports or repairing damages), and taking stock of supplies. Everything was a team effort. The tasks would keep you on your feet almost all day, going up and down high hills and stairs, so having good stamina was important, especially on hot days. The hardest part of the job, while personal, was understanding the 'tone' of the people I worked with. I worked well with them, but most of the time I could not understand what they mean. Overall, it was ok but not sure I would do the job again mainly because the pay was half of what I expected.
Pros
Free housing on campus
Cons
pay
Excellent Atmosphere
Laboratory Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 20, 2014
Loved being able to convey knowledge to other students. Working in lab instructing students performing lab functions is ideal for any part-time chemistry students
Nice place to work.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 28, 2014
Has a well established labs for electrical power engineering research studies.
Great place
Tutor in accounting and business subjects for MOCS (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 29, 2014
Have met lots of nice people at UTC, athletes are dedicated to obtaining a college degree. Staff is very helpful.
Positive work atmosphere
Mathematics Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 14, 2014
A typical day tutoring includes interaction between myself and my students and my manager. I learned skills dealing with one on one appointments catering to an individual personally and also successfully handling a large group of students varying in success within the course. Also, completing and filing paperwork accurately is needed to track documentation of all students within the program. I was also required to complete my own time sheet before a strict deadline in order to receive payments. Management is great and extremely flexible with the students' schedule. My co-workers are all cordial with one another and highly accommodating when working with one another. The most enjoyable part is helping a student understand stressful problems that were not able to complete on their own. The hardest part is an uncooperative student; when an individual is not interested in the session, the mood for myself and other students in the session can become negative.
Fun and Fast Paced
Dinning Attendant (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 7, 2013
enjoyed meeting students from all over the world...
enjoyed my managers and co workers.
hardest part was staying open late hours, most enjoyable being able to help first time students get settled in.
Pros
meeting new faces
Cons
n/a
Fun place to work. Provides ample time for studying if you are pursuing your degree.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 20, 2013
My duties included answering student questions, scheduling advising appointments, answering the phone, catering, giving presentations/informational sessions on the College of Business, and many other things.

I learned how to manage my time well and how to handle people because of this job. For example, parents would come into the office wanting to know how their child is doing in school. FERPA laws state that this is private information, so I was unable to tell them, despite them having paid for their child's education. Because of this, I quickly learned how to handle situations involving angry parents.

My boss was wonderful. I was in school while doing this job and she would often let me study or do homework when I had finished my duties for the day.

My co-workers were definitely very nice people. They were all in the same situation that I was in (going to school/working), so we were able to understand each other a little better.

The hardest part of the job was figuring out how to do new things. People leave the position as soon as they graduate from college and the coworker (who had more experience than me) left one semester in. That left me knowing about things that were needed for the Fall semester, with different things being needed for the Spring and Fall semesters that I had never done before.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the flexibility of the schedule. My boss allowed my coworkers and me to come up with our own schedule that would work for us. If we needed time off, we could just make it up later by holding information sessions, working during school
  more... holidays, etc.  less
Awesome School
Student (Former Employee) –  chattanooga TennesseeMarch 26, 2013
I obtained my BS in Mechanical Engineering while being very involved on campus in 2 honor societies, a founding father of Delta Upsilon, and member of the UTC tennis team
There are some mean people there
Professor (Former Employee) –  ChattanoogaMarch 12, 2013
Don't go there and be a superstar and publish a lot. Jealous people do some really mean things. It happened to me. Stay away at all costs.
Pros
no pros are worth what i went through.
Cons
see below
Great place to work.
Answered Phones (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 23, 2012
More laid back and accomodating than most places. It has it's cons like anywhere else, but overall, is a great place to work.
Higher Education
HHP 3030 and HHP 1000 Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 29, 2012
This is a University so things are pretty much the same here as any other school in the UT System. UTC is growing every year.

4.2