University of Tennessee Medical Center Employee Reviews

Great training
Monitor Technician/ HUC (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 3, 2015
I got hired in at UT full time days 3/2 split. I was trained as a HUC/Monitor Tech but after my training I was told I was being placed in the float pool because another MT from night shift took my position. UT is a teaching hospital so they trained me very well but I wasn't happy with the way I was just placed in the float pool. I reached out to mgt plenty of times and was given the run around. I ended up having to quit within my 90 days to find another job
Cons
pay, 12 hour days
I worked 7a to 7p on a 2-3 day split and every other weekend. Very busy place all day. I learned about the imposrtance of coding and EMTALA laws.
Staff Nurse RN (Former Employee) –  Knoxville TnOctober 4, 2015
Professional atmosphere for patient placement to the hospital and placing in correct status for adission. Constant phone line and computer use. My colleagues all within cubicles and working individually. I began the at the bottom or the beginning of the creation of this area and navigated with others in the department to develop profesional work atmosphere and compliance with the paper work and coding of services on the front end of the patients admission to the hospital. Also talked with doctors and their offices for direct admission to the hospital. Also dealth with the air service for transfer of patients from other facilities as well as onscene admissions. It was a rewarding job but very stressful. I did this for 10 years and the area began an 8 hour a day job and grew in the open 24 hours as a day. It became an area with high turn over of employees. Before working in patient placement I was a staff nurse at UT Hospital both in the acute care area for 2 years and then I transferred to CCU and worked in the units for 12 years. I transferred to the call center within UT for 1 year. In the call center I answered for OBGYN, Pediatric and Internal Medicine doctor offices.
Pros
still a patient advocate
Cons
difficult area to have a lunch or even a break not; enough employees to relieve for
Okay job
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 30, 2015
The shifts are very long and the split shifts are very hard to get used to especially when your manager switches your schedule around all the time. the cafeteria is expensive so make sure you bring your own lunch.
Monitor Techinician
Monitor Technician (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 17, 2015
I clock in at 6:38 , get report from the other Monitor Techinician , run my strips at 7: 00 p.m , and report abnormal rhythm to the Nurse if that patient have any abnormal rhythm change.
Pros
Great Benefit
Cons
under staff
Wonderful facility, but administration leadership is weak
Database Analyst, Development Office (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 25, 2015
This facility has a heart for excellent patient care and it is top notch, however leadership is quite dictatorial and no room for other ideas. Most days are long - almost always nine or more hours - with very little commendation for a job well done.
Great place to work with great benefits
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 11, 2015
This place was a great place to work and they offer great benefits. The staff was usually nice and easy to work with. Patients are great to work with and very appreciative.
Pros
great benefits, discount on lunch
Cons
pay could be better
Good place to start a career and gain experience.
Physical Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 21, 2015
UTMC is a great place to learn when fresh out of school in any career field. The employees make the difference. Management is frustrating and there are limited opportunities for advancement outside of nursing.
great work environment
PTA (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 31, 2015
great work environment. Good interdisciplinary communication and collaboration. Poor advancement/growth opportunities if not an RN. Great learning experience and ability to help others.
Driven and determined
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 19, 2014
The University of Tennessee Medical Center is driven and determined to be the forefront of medical technology and patient care in the United States. I treasured the opportunity for working for such a professional group of dedicated staff members.
Really great learning environment!
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 24, 2014
UTMCK has been a wonderful place to work. I was hired as a new graduate and have learned more here than I could ever have anticipated.
Pros
compensation/benefits includes tuition reimbursement
Cons
not always getting a lunch break
management doesn't know what they are doing
Transporter (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 9, 2014
good place to gain experience.
benefits not too good
management doesn't have any clinical experience so they have no idea what is practicle in the clinical setting.
I loved the spirit of teamwork and professionalism present in the OR
employee (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 22, 2014
I loved the spirit of teamwork and professionalism that was present in the OR at UTMCK
Ok to work for
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 20, 2014
Nice equipment, and some very friendly staff.Now that they are a Magnet Hospital my associates degree is not good enough for them.
Great place to work, they even have a Starbucks!
RN (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 16, 2014
The five years I've spent at UT have been both rewarding and challenging. As a teaching hospital, a large focus is placed on continuing education, work committees to evaluate standards of care and safe practice, and providing all departments and staff with a positive experience. I highly recommend UT for any nurse looking to further their career in an acute care setting.
Pros
positive and respectful relationships between md's and nurses.
Cons
bsn required for new hires or to transfer departments.
Great place to provide customer service to people
CNA (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 10, 2014
Vitals Signs 3 times a shift, fast production company, always learning new things toward the medical field
Pros
time goes by fast cause you are working hard
Cons
12 hour shifts are hard
Good place to work, but with high expectations.
Staff Nurse, Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 24, 2014
Very busy and fast paced. We had verbal reports from one shift to another and from one unit to another. Good team and management. Hardest part of the job was time management to make sure patients received the best care possible and still getting all the charting, meetings, etc completed as expected.
Magnet Facility & for obvious reasons!
Nurse Extern (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 27, 2014
A wonderful experience for a nursing student! First time I was able to manage tracheostomies, chest tubes, and become an independent presence with patients.
Cutting Edge
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 24, 2014
The University of Tennessee was exiting as well as on the forefront of medical advances and technologies. I enjoyed my time there because I got the opportunity to become extremely skilled by working exclusively for the Neurosurgical Team. We were a smaller group but that is what made us work more efficiently together which allowed us faster turn overs as well as having a working knowledge of one another. Co-Workers were always willing to share knowledge as well as personal experiences which allows you to be somewhat prepared if you should ever find yourself in a similar situation. Unfortunately I did not know much about the management, nor the team members that worked with management due to the fact that the OR suite at this location was very large.
Pros
tuition reimbursement, large cafeteria selection, higher learning expierience, competetive pay
Cons
a longer drive, frequent call, longer hours
Great Benefits
Patient Access Clerk, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 29, 2014
Great Benefits....but they don't pay you what you're worth.
Cleaning Lady
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 24, 2014
I cleaned all over the hospital so anyone that walked through the door seen it was a safe environment to be in.