University of Tennessee Medical Center Employee Reviews

Wonderful facility, but administration leadership is weak
Database Analyst, Development Office (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNJune 25, 2015
This facility has a heart for excellent patient care and it is top notch, however leadership is quite dictatorial and no room for other ideas. Most days are long - almost always nine or more hours - with very little commendation for a job well done.
Great place to work with great benefits
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNMay 11, 2015
Pros: great benefits, discount on lunch
Cons: pay could be better
This place was a great place to work and they offer great benefits. The staff was usually nice and easy to work with. Patients are great to work with and very appreciative.
Good place to start a career and gain experience.
Physical Therapist Assistant (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNApril 21, 2015
UTMC is a great place to learn when fresh out of school in any career field. The employees make the difference. Management is frustrating and there are limited opportunities for advancement outside of nursing.
great work environment
PTA (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNMarch 31, 2015
great work environment. Good interdisciplinary communication and collaboration. Poor advancement/growth opportunities if not an RN. Great learning experience and ability to help others.
Driven and determined
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNDecember 19, 2014
The University of Tennessee Medical Center is driven and determined to be the forefront of medical technology and patient care in the United States. I treasured the opportunity for working for such a professional group of dedicated staff members.
Really great learning environment!
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: compensation/benefits includes tuition reimbursement
Cons: not always getting a lunch break
UTMCK has been a wonderful place to work. I was hired as a new graduate and have learned more here than I could ever have anticipated.
management doesn't know what they are doing
Transporter (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNAugust 9, 2014
good place to gain experience.
benefits not too good
management doesn't have any clinical experience so they have no idea what is practicle in the clinical setting.
I loved the spirit of teamwork and professionalism present in the OR
employee (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNJuly 22, 2014
I loved the spirit of teamwork and professionalism that was present in the OR at UTMCK
Ok to work for
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNJuly 20, 2014
Nice equipment, and some very friendly staff.Now that they are a Magnet Hospital my associates degree is not good enough for them.
Great place to work, they even have a Starbucks!
RN (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNJuly 16, 2014
Pros: positive and respectful relationships between md's and nurses.
Cons: bsn required for new hires or to transfer departments.
The five years I've spent at UT have been both rewarding and challenging. As a teaching hospital, a large focus is placed on continuing education, work committees to evaluate standards of care and safe practice, and providing all departments and staff with a positive experience. I highly recommend UT for any nurse looking to further their career in an acute care setting.
Great place to provide customer service to people
CNA (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNJune 10, 2014
Pros: time goes by fast cause you are working hard
Cons: 12 hour shifts are hard
Vitals Signs 3 times a shift, fast production company, always learning new things toward the medical field
Good place to work, but with high expectations.
Staff Nurse, Team Leader (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNApril 24, 2014
Very busy and fast paced. We had verbal reports from one shift to another and from one unit to another. Good team and management. Hardest part of the job was time management to make sure patients received the best care possible and still getting all the charting, meetings, etc completed as expected.
Magnet Facility & for obvious reasons!
Nurse Extern (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNFebruary 27, 2014
A wonderful experience for a nursing student! First time I was able to manage tracheostomies, chest tubes, and become an independent presence with patients.
Cutting Edge
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: tuition reimbursement, large cafeteria selection, higher learning expierience, competetive pay
Cons: a longer drive, frequent call, longer hours
The University of Tennessee was exiting as well as on the forefront of medical advances and technologies. I enjoyed my time there because I got the opportunity to become extremely skilled by working exclusively for the Neurosurgical Team. We were a smaller group but that is what made us work more efficiently together which allowed us faster turn overs as well as having a working knowledge of one another. Co-Workers were always willing to share knowledge as well as personal experiences which allows you to be somewhat prepared if you should ever find yourself in a similar situation. Unfortunately I did not know much about the management, nor the team members that worked with management due to the fact that the OR suite at this location was very large.
Great Benefits
Patient Access Clerk, Cashier (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNJanuary 29, 2014
Great Benefits....but they don't pay you what you're worth.
Cleaning Lady
Custodian (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNJanuary 24, 2014
I cleaned all over the hospital so anyone that walked through the door seen it was a safe environment to be in.
Excellent hospital to work and learn.
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNJanuary 15, 2014
UTMC is one of the greatest hospitals to be a part of. The team work there is hands down the best, and management is always there to listen and address problems with solutions.
Medical Records Coding
Medical Records Technician II (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: schedule
My job was coding in the Medical Records dept. It was making production, and I feel I could benefit another type of position including coding but also with personal contact with people
Very nice and helpful coworkers. Superv isors very helpful with aiding in home life.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNDecember 30, 2013
Typical day includes walking around the campus and maintaining safety for all. I also have the ability to stop and socialize with visitors and staff for much of the day, as long as there are no calls to be answered. My supervisors are very willing to help but truly seem to want the employees o work on their own, without micromanaging. The hardest part of the job is having to see some of the pain that patients and visitors are under (simply due to it being a hospital and people tend not to go to a hospital unless they have to.) The best part is being able to help people, even if it is just saying hi to someone and making seeing if there is anything I can do for them.
Hospitals
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNNovember 5, 2013
Pros: helping people in need
Cons: being treated like an outcast for being young and from out of town
A day could be hectic and full of emergencies or slow with no surgeries to do. I learned more about the medical environment and how to deal with emergency situations. My co-workers seem to always be in the older group and I was always treated like a kid, which was the hardest part for me. I loved being able to help others with creating life or giving to those in need.