University of Tennessee Medical Center Employee Reviews

Flow Coordinator (Current Employee) –  1924 alcoa hwyNovember 28, 2017
relaxed
caring
fast pace
I could work in four different areas in day surgery pain room, or, sterile process and in the office. I learned a lot working at day surgery.
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  kxoville tnOctober 30, 2017
its was good experience I really liked working their was good I have a lot good oprutunitys an meet an lot ppl from all walk of life I was able move up
relaxed and slow pace
Operating room circulating nurse (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 11, 2017
ut has great staff, everyone is friendly and accepting. They work together as a team. It was a small environment so it felt like family when i was there.
Pros
relaxed environment
Cons
not enough hours
Utmck
Nurse Specialist (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 9, 2017
Doctor's and healthcare team members are very knowledgeable accounting for great patient outcomes. Many new types of patient care technologies are available for use. Level 1 trauma center which is great for gaining experience.
Pros
Great benefits, cafeteria discount, teaching hospital.
Cons
Pay is not as high as other area hospitals, Premium parking only available to very tenured employees, Parking lot for new employees is approx 1/2+ mile away.
Chaplain Resident
Resident (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 1, 2017
The program provided the insight, real world opportunities to practice what was taught during the daily interactions with patients and their families.
Pros
Dinner was provided during 24 hour duty cycle
Amazing hospital, poor leadership
Circulating RN - Surgery (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 28, 2017
The leadership here in the OR was poor at the time. The doctors could be extremely abusive to the staff and face no repercussions. The hours were not conducive to family lifestyles and they put pregnant women at risk with x ray exposure. There was very poor policy implementation sometimes. Very hard to work in this environment when you feel your opinion as a patient advocate does not matter.
Horrible attitudes within the pharmacy
CPhT Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 6, 2017
The atmosphere in the pharmacy department is the worst I have ever experienced, and I have worked in several major hospitals as a pharmacy tech. Most of the pharmacist are very condescending towards techs, treating them as though they are beneath them. There are junior high type clique's among about half the techs, complete with gossip and drama. The pharmacy director is consumed with how she appears to upper hospital management, spending very little time in the pharmacy with department employees. There was always a continuous turn around of employees, the good ones never stayed long. The hospital was great but that department needs a major overhaul.
Benefits
Cons
department employee attitudes
Level One trauma center
Registered Nurse in ER (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 4, 2017
Went there because it was a Level One trauma center/Teaching hospital. Loved the experience, but the pay was very low comparatively with other facilities in the area.
very productive work place
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 25, 2017
Very productive work place with excessive amount of work around the first of each month. It was an opportunity to learn much about medical billing and coding but it was basically data entry.
Benefits
Cons
stressful working environment
Educational
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 23, 2017
Huge facility. Fun and always interesting. Very educational. You learn something new everyday. Sometimes overwhelming. Plenty of people to use as resources.
Very stresfull
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 3, 2017
Always short-staffed put too many patients per shift load on single people did not care about how many patients you had did not help the CNAs whenever they were short-staffed
Self directed
Computer Systems Specialist-Operating Room (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 3, 2017
Very rewarding environment where leadership respected your knowledge and would value your opinions. Loved the staff and the willingness to embark on a new computerized experience.
internship
Research Scholar (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 27, 2017
this was my first exposure to science and research and it was a very valuable experience. i think the program did a great job of exposing us to the techniques of the lab and the importance of research
Great place to work!
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 9, 2017
This is a great place to work. There is always someone to help if you have any questions. Management is great and I love everyone I work with. I have learned so much since being here.
Excellent Learning Experience
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 1, 2017
This is a wonderful place to learn as a new grad. They pay less than any of the other hospitals in the area, but they will not throw you to the wolves after only a few weeks of orientation. Many hospitals in this area will give minimal orientation and then expect you to take six, seven, or even more patients on high acuity floors. UT typically keeps their nurse/patient ratio at 1:5 on acute care floors, 1:3 on PCU, and 1:2 on the units. Of course there are exceptions and staff shortages, but overall it is nothing like working at one of the other hospitals where you will be given between seven and ten patients and minimal support staff causing you to run as fast as you can from the bedside or even nursing in general.
Pros
Education and support
Cons
Pay
Excellent learning environment
Resident, Clinical pastoral education (Current Employee) –  Pastoral careJune 29, 2017
Participated in CPE education with learned staff, great unit mentors and excellent patient care! The hardest part is getting to know yourself and being vulnerable to your own hidden mess.
Pros
Interesting people
Cons
No differential for 24 hour duty
Great work environment and wonderful people
Fitness Technician (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 17, 2017
I only worked part time but I thoroughly enjoyed every shift. Management and senior leaders truly cared about every employee regardless of position. I learned a great deal during my time at UTMC and I'm thankful for the opportunity I had to work there.
team leader
Staff Nurse, 6 south team leader (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 3, 2017
A typical day is reviewing surgery list and assigning patient beds. Discharging patients. Nurse manager is policy oriented. We work as a team to provide our patients with the best quality care. the most enjoyable part of the job is the team members.
Excellent place to be a student!
Chaplain Extern (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 26, 2017
As an Extern (Student) for UTMC, I was very impressed with the opportunities afforded me. I was thankful for every door being open to me to learn. This experience was very helpful in my pursuit of being a Chaplain.
Camaraderie non existant
Nurse Specialist / Interventional Radiology (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 26, 2017
Very Disappointed in management and work culture.
Team work is a forgotten skill set
Difficult to perform duties patient centered due to pace management demands.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Tennessee Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

University of Tennessee Medical Center Reviews by Location