University of Tennessee Employee Reviews

Task Manager
Family & Consumer Science Extension Agent (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, TNDecember 2, 2016
A typically day has to start with being really organized and reviewing your schedule ahead of time. Each week many days are spent out in the community education people and have different locations.
Interactive educational environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 12, 2016
As research assistant I was fortunate to participate in group meetings and project planning, as well as provide assistance in self-directed activities. This was a volunteer position that concluded when I graduated in 2014.
A nice research university
Graduate Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 11, 2016
The University of Tennessee is a perfect place to work and study. It provides a very productive and free atmosphere, and I enjoy staying here for my graduate school. The research funding is very reliable in this school, which I receive full sponsorship for 4 years.
Review for Master's Graduate Student in Engineering
Master's Student (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 11, 2016
A lot depends on your professor. I worked for a professor who believed that work came before school sometimes, which made for very long hours getting everything done. Overall, grad school was more enjoyable compared to undergrad. You do get health insurance, a stipend, and your tuition (but not fees) paid.
great benefits, great work environment
Program Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 4, 2016
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville provides great benefits which include insurances, retirement, vacation and sick leave, other holidays throughout the year, and fee waiver for taking University courses.
Just a student there
Student Technician (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 5, 2016
The campus is a little small, but the public transportation is convenient. The sports facilities are somewhat outdated. Overall it's good though.
Great place
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 30, 2016
Great place to work at, get to do awesome research with awesome people. Department is helpful. Knoxville is awesome place to be--especially the smokey mountains nearby.
Great Benefits and those who I have worked with have been very professional
Administrative Support Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 30, 2016
University of Tennessee is a good place to work. Their benefits are great and the working environment is pleasant & comfortable as well as professional. Good combination :)
awesome master program
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 29, 2016
The program is definitely changing my life. Studying here is the best decision I made in my life. I enjoyed the culture working here.
Productive and Fun workplace
Tanning and Client Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 28, 2016
A typical day at work was busy and full of energy. I learned a lot about customer service and how to operate computer systems. The management here was great and everyone was very personable and friendly.
Wonderful place to work.
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 22, 2016
Working at the University of Tennessee was a pleasure. I worked varied hours, depending on what the job demanded. I found the compensation and benefits to be considerably fair and generous.
I would love to work for them again in the future.
benefits
Cons
It was equal opportunity worked with those that had disabilities.
Customer Service Aide (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 9, 2016
It has been great opportunity worked with those that or physically challenged learning to be a great team player and to create a positive work environment when under pressure.
Benefits
Cons
long summers
Engaging work and accommodating hours
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 12, 2016
The job itself was intensive as science always is, however, the work was enjoyable. Some days were monotonous because an experiment wasn't progressing quickly, or it was going poorly, or cultures were dying, etc. Day to day lab work is mostly about minuscule changes to data, however, when good results began to show it was like hitting the lottery. After weeks of care and maintenance and data input about a specific experiment, seeing it finally show promising results was amazing. However, the actual work being done day to day was ever changing. Each day there was so much to accomplish, from running tests, to experiment maintenance, to plating cultures. It was never boring to work in a lab. Management was lax so long as the work was quality and done on time. They were also very accommodating because most employees are students.
It was a pleasure working at the library and assisting a diverse student population
Student Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 26, 2016
It was interesting work and I learned the basics of working in a library including where to locate reference information, circulation, sorting, shelving and assisting students in the use and function of the various library departments. In addition, i was also assigned varied tasks on special projects such as organizing a manuscript collection and finding and inventorying historical newspapers. I thoroughly enjoyed my co-workers and they were always available for my questions and providing further information, knowledge, encouragement and assistance.
Pros
Working with a diverse population and minimum work supervision
Cons
Sometimes on special projects working alone for days, although it gave me time to totally focus on the assignment
Good people, good students
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 19, 2016
Things are slow and methodical at a university, and change comes slowly. However, it's generally a good place to work. Pay is decent; benefits are excellent; and the people are usually nice.
Interactive with the students and challenges my knowledge
Woodshop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 14, 2016
A typical day I walk around and supervise the woodshop as students work on projects. I help students use power tools and laser cutters.
Great Place
Advisor to the Student Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNMay 10, 2016
The co-workers were excellent and the teachers were fun to get along with. The students were very respectful and smiled all the time.
Education is AWESOME
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 28, 2016
Loved the staff, the excitement of the everyone there. Being around students who are discovering and growing instills energy into your day.

I was given the opportunity to step outside my comfort zone, learn new skills, try new office software as the needs of my position changed.

If it weren't for personal issues that forced my stepping down, I'd still be there!
Pros
Staff, Students, Benefits, Location, Technology
Cons
Parking
bnn
Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 27, 2016
I hated working here.
It was more about the people-
some were nice, others were not.
Ultimately, I left because I had no
help whatsoever from my research advisor,
who was also verbally abusive.
No one deserves that.
Level 1 Trauma Center
Staff RN Level (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 17, 2016
Typical day in the ER is having patients in the ER that we did not have enough beds. Management always blamed the ER for everything.
Pros
the end of your shift
Cons
many days with no lunch or breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Tennessee. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2