University of Texas at Arlington Employee Reviews

Very diversive, vibrant, and active place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  ArlingtonJanuary 13, 2015
In UTA, I had to work with undergrad students in physics labs. This job gave me an opportunity to interact with people of intelligent and inquisitive minds, and dispersive cultures. In addition, I have had privilege to brush up the basics of physics which often we overlook due to overwhelming workload during graduate life. Further, it helped me to learn organizing multi-tasking jobs (e.g. organizing course works, research, and teaching at labs ) efficiently. Moreover, it gave me a chance to build up a friendly working environment between co-workers by participating in group discussions and exchanging work experiences. The most challenging part of my employment period was to teach non-science major students since very basics of physics even sound jargon to them. However, it was the most satisfactory part of my job as well. Because I had to be very innovative and patient to present physics as very interesting and comprehensible before them. I took that challenge, and students' evaluation at end got me to believing that I was quit successful.
A great work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 7, 2012
As a student and a Research Assistant at UTA, I had the chance of working with experienced professors who have been in the industry for decades. Apart from studying some of the most advanced courses in Environmental Engineering like Physical Chemical Processes, Waste Water Treatment Plant Design, Air Pollution Chemistry and Meteorology, Biological Processes, etc. I got a chance to get hands on experiences with the most cutting edge instruments used in modern laboratories like the UV-vis spectrometer, TOC Analyzer, and HPLC. My job required me to analyze samples in the lab for presence of TiO2 nano-particles after a certain chemical reaction which I had to design and perform in collaboration with the chemistry department. My peers and mentors were a great support throughout the completion of my project. I enjoyed working with the latest technology and learning new things and found it hard not to be thinking about it when I was at home.
Pros
great work atmosphere, staff, and mentors.
A typical day is very busy
Reserves Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXApril 16, 2014
My day would start off checking to see if any of the faculty that had brought in any of documents that they wanted their students to have access to the documents from their residences. Additionally I would assist students and faculty. I would scan, return, and keep a copy of the articles that the professors would make available outside of class for their students. If the faculty or students had any questions they would call me to answer their questions. We would run the article or articles through the copyright sites to determine whether or not that it could be used without any legal problems for the university system. Once the articles had cleared the copyright sites I would let the appropriate faculty member know so that they could release the information to their students with the appropriate password to retrieve the documents. I would also train the other branch's reserves managers as they were hired. I would also determine what magazines were ready for the bindery as well. I would also receive notice what previously sent in volumes were ready. I would also choose the fabric that the volumes that were to be bound in.
Pros
a variety of things to do.
Completely professional but people are very friendly which helps us have a good work relationship without troubles.
Graduate Reserch Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 10, 2015
Well, its always good to start your day here with sudden surprises by professor who brings free doughnuts. But adding to that, the co-workers are really sweet and that helps to have a good day at work no matter how bad previous night would have been.
Professional experience was gained without a doubt but beyond that, personally learned how to keep the balance between work and home life from my co-workers who had loads of experience in this.
Hardest part was to handle undergraduate students who tend to be playful at times in the lab.
Most enjoyable would be purely the research on my topic and weekly meetings with the company managers to whom I had to report.
Pros
Work Environment
Cons
Managing students could get hard at times.
Not as good as you think
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXOctober 8, 2014
The insurance benefits are not that good. You pay more out of pocket. Job security is not there. No raises in over 6 years and there is no support from the administrators. Management looks out for #1 and does not back the employee at all. In many years, I saw more turnover because of the people in management. A typical day is filled with stress and your are consistently worrying about losing your job if someone does not like you. Since there was never enough personnel, it was hard to take any time off and then you lose your vacation time to sick time at the end of the fiscal year. Sick time is not paid to you when you leave. The only thing that was enjoyable was helping the students.
Pros
free insurance
Cons
no time off
Open Session Tutor Clinic
Physics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXApril 14, 2015
I engendered group studying for the clinic and with my fellow students. I quickly learned that everyone has their own style of learning methods. Adapting to different methods of tutoring was a great learning experience for me. Meeting new people and exploring their fascination with physics was very enjoyable. The subjects that seemed to be difficult for students were those that had intangibles with respect to that field i.e modern physics (specifically wave-mechanics). Extrapolating these ideas into a clear and concise manner took time for me to develop in order to help other students comprehend those fundamental properties.
Pros
Fast-pace, multi-tasking (switching from subject to subject)
Cons
Not enough hours to work
Fun work environment with exceptional mentors
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 18, 2013
As a lab technician assigned to create a cysteine dioxygenase mutant I was primarily involved in generating the mutant as well as confirming the correct sequence for the generated mutant DNA. My direct superior was both informative as well as understanding, which to me created an ideal work environment. The procedure to generate the CDO mutants required optimization in order to work correctly. The most frustrating and difficult part of this assignment was the troubleshooting and optimization of the protocol. However, the sense of accomplishment garnered when success was attained more than made up for any frustration. I would gladly continue work in this setting were it a possibility.
Descent School
Graduate research assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 7, 2015
It is not a class A school, but it is certainly a good one, and specially in the field of engineering it is growing fast.

They are giving admission to lots of talented students from Asia and Africa who for the financial reasons cannot go to very top schools, but they can afford it in Texas, and they are doing a fantastic job bringing creativity and good work to this university.

Campus life is also getting better with the increasing number of students who are bringing more college life style to the campus.
The ability to teach was great
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJanuary 13, 2015
I taught 2 courses per semester. I enjoyed teaching and trying to help the students, especially those student who were really interested in learning and those students who had to take the courses as a requirement for getting a degree, but who would never use the language.
In my opinion, such requirement is a waste. Once in college, students should have more courses that will help them in their chosen field of study.
I did enjoy the friendships created at school.
It was a enjoyable learning place
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXMay 14, 2014
The workplace here was very enjoyable as the colleagues are friendly, helpful and respect each other. We used to do research related to materials science and electrochemical energy conversion and storage systems such as lithium ion battery, fuel cell catalysts, fuel cell membrane, and photo-electrochemical systems etc. I used to learn mostly because we had a culture of having weekly group meeting where each of us used to discuss the problems and probable solutions.
Productive Area with Various Activities
Student Assistant English Language Institute (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXFebruary 20, 2014
On a typical work day I would interact with members from very diverse backgrounds and culture. For example, I would meet students from Saudi Arabia, China, Japan, and India who came to the United States to learn English.
I learned how to file, locate, and organize the documents which were placed in my care.
Management was great, since they were supportive and understanding.
Overall Good Employment for part-time student/ Work Study
Peer Academic Leader (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXMarch 1, 2015
Working at University college at UT Arlington was a good overall experience in terms of building experience. It is a good place to start out on the resume building. The pay could be better but you can say that about anywhere you work these days, especially if its part-time.
Pros
networking, good job experience/skills
Cons
pay/compensation
Productive work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXOctober 14, 2014
I am a teaching assistant but i also assist my professor on the project that we are working on. It is half way to complete and then we are gonna start drafting paper to publish it.
I like coding so i enjoy while doing project for my professor. But grading papers is the hardest part of the job. Read each and everything for 40 s0utdents is very difficult.
good
Graduate Research Assistance (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 30, 2014
operating supersoinc wind tunnel. Doing experiments. Schedule wind tunnel using dates. Tiago is my co-worker. This job is an hands on and self driven work. Motivation is very important. No one teach you how to do things. Self trying and learning is highly desired. The enjoyable part is every once a while you will discover new things from experiments.
As all Universities it is a great place to learn and experience life!
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 17, 2013
Working as a Graduate Assistant with all types of professors is absolutely great because you learned a lot about yourself and how to work with others professionally.

The University of Texas at Arlington is a great place to work and study. It is a place were if you work hard, all your dream of education became a beautiful reality!

So, Dream Big! And Study hard!
Pros
great university life!
Cons
difficult to find parking space!
this job I love it that why I do good.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXMay 17, 2012
. The work starts from 9 am to 4 pm
. I have learned, the civil engineering experiments, analyzing data, and writing proposals
. Management was good
. Co-workers are high educated people
. there is nothing is called hardest part of job, if you love your job everything is easy
. all the tasks of this job are enjoyable
A satisfying step in my career in health care
Health Educator for "New Connections (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXFebruary 20, 2013
See Resume description. I created the Health Education curriculum and continuously update the literature, handouts and information as new information evolved. Example the Food Pyramid changed in 2011. I was part of a three person teaching team and filled in when necessary for the Parenting Instructor or the Relationship and Recovery Instructor. I found the work satisfying and enjoyed being part of the teaching team.
Great Environment, Friendly People
Front Desk Administrator (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXJanuary 3, 2013
This is a great environment to work in. The school has great connection with the students. The staff are friendly and care. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that help is always around the corner.
Pros
friendly environment. helpful staff.
Cons
there are many different cultures you may come across. not always a good thing, especially when they don't match with yours
UTA
Studio Theater Makeup Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 4, 2015
It was a work-study job for me that I thoroughly enjoyed. I was only able to work up to 19 hours a week, but that was enough as I was going to school Full time at the same time.
I loved the job, but they couldn't hire me due to the lack of funds in the theater department. I learned a lot there and will miss it.
Enjoyable work environment
Games Area Mechanic Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TxFebruary 20, 2012
I was able to work with kind co-workers, in and enjoyable environment. Learned to actively supervise a small group of co-workers,and now train new employees in all duties performed regularly. Both began as new experiences but became easier because the environment encouraged both growth and accountability.
Pros
nice people, nice environment, many learning and personal growth opportunities.

4.4