University of Texas at Arlington Employee Reviews

Place to work flexibly
Graduate Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 20, 2017
It is a part time job which I do on campus alongside my course in the university. Here I got to learn the major customer service skills and closely monitor the work culture in the US.
Learning environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 19, 2017
I learned a lot about academia and how they view women and minorities. I learned that the culture in academia favors only those with degrees. Without a degree, advancement is slow.
benefits
Cons
unable to advance
GIS Graduate Associate (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 13, 2017
for those [like me] who are interested to work in an academic environment, UTA is a great place. You have access to all sort of academic (schools and libraries) and recreational (Gym, food) facilities.
Pros
Academic Environment, Flexibility of working hours
Cons
N/a
Laid back environment, good community
Production Crew/ Stagehand/Fly-Rail Crew (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 8, 2017
Good job and university to work for. Nice people and everyone is fairly outgoing. Job is always evolving and learning new things. Production crew at CPC at UTA has stepped up in showmanship and quality.
Worth the Tuition
Doctor of Pharmacy Student (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 7, 2017
Great Educational Institution for pharmacy eduction. Very fair in tuition expense for a state level pharmacy school. Very competitive application process requiring very well rounded candidates
Great School
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 4, 2017
I was a research assistant there, so I was not paid. It was something I did to learn more skills and figure out what field I wanted to go into exactly. Overall, it was a rewarding experience.
Good school job
Student worker in the Dean of Engineering Office (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 1, 2017
It's a nice school job that offers flexible hours to balance with school and social life, pay is decent (as long as you don't have any bills).

How ever there are two things.

1) Pay:
If you aren't financially independent it's no big deal just some extra walking around money. But if you have a rent and car payments you might as well drop out of school and work full-time. Especially if you're an engineering major balancing school and work is near impossible.

2)Personal growth:
The only skills that have been improved are most likely just communication skills. Which is always a plus but however I want to learn skills beneficial to my major that I am studying.
Typical Liberal Arts Campus
Admissions Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 30, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was the great people I met. Advising students and processing transcripts/graduate admissions applications was rigorous but enjoyable.
Typical Day at Work
Army ROTC Instructor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 30, 2017
Being a mentor to college students who are interested in following the career path of an United States Army officer, directly graduating from college.
Productive and well managed
Assistant Secretary (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 23, 2017
All my superiors were very nice and easy to get along with. Very clear with instructions and what is expected. Really enjoyed working for this company
Pros
People, scheduling, times
Cons
far drive
Fun place to work.
Technical Learning Specialist and SI (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 22, 2017
Working for the University was rewarding and stimulating. It was great to see more experienced classmen take younger classmen and help them through their learning difficulties.
Good place to work overall
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 16, 2017
I like working here, overall. Anything I would change is departmental, not university-wide. My department is not very collegial, but a few of us are trying to change that. People are nice, but no one makes a lot of good friends here, which can be both good and bad.
Pros
Great Benefits, Open Communication
Cons
Hard to meet people; People are very stiff here.
Great place to work while earning a degree
Graduate Teaching Assistant & Tutor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 15, 2017
I would recommend this job to any student who is looking to further their education while earning their graduate degree. The work load is not overwhelming and you get to review material while grading.
Fun work environment with an amazing work team
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 4, 2017
Being a student worker for the New Maverick Orientation was a great experience. The job was enjoyable and I learned a lot about customer service. A typical work day would be opening the office, answering emails and phone calls regarding the upcoming orientation schedule and taking inventory of the materials used for orientation. The most enjoyable part of the job was the faculty and staff. The hardest part was balancing my job and grades.
Great work experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 1, 2017
Being able to work at the university while going to school has giving me the work experience that I believe will give me an edge over competitors in job application.
Library
Customer Associate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 1, 2017
Customer Associate Assistant. Was a really good place to work on campus while getting to opportunity to study and help people with product retrieval and some data entry.
Enjoyable working in an academic environment with people of all ages and backgrounds
Graduate Teaching Assistant, History Department (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 25, 2017
A graduate teaching assistant spends most of their time, depending on the professor the work for, grading papers, tutoring students, and keeping track of things for the professor. Some of the TAs were given the opportunity to instruct in the classroom from time to time. I learned to enjoy the learning environment as one that not only taught the students, but taught myself as well. It was a great experience interacting with both students, staff, and professionals. The management consisted of following the professor's rules, which were governed by university as well as departmental policy but each professor had their own management style; for the most part, the environment was very casual. While there is much competition in academia, the workplace culture was one of comradery and friendship among TAs as well as professors. The hardest part of the job was twofold. Having to discipline disruptive students could be unpleasant, and deadlines for grading papers for 100+ students could be stressful. The most rewarding part of the job was the one on one communication with students of all cultures, and the desire to see them become engaged in the learning process.
Pros
Working in a casual environment where everyone involved was working for the same goal.
Cons
Facing deadlines for grading exams for 100+ students in a very short time.
Great Experience - Time Consuming but fulfilling work
Supplemental Instructor Leader (Online) (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 21, 2017
I was an online supplemental instructor. We had to lead 4 sessions a week, though two of them were repeats to make sure people with varying schedules could attend. So we were creating 2 lesson plans a week. The work itself was incredibly fulfilling. Helping people understand something that they formerly thought would fail them out of college was extremely gratifying. I will say that it was a part-time gig, and we were paid for 19 hours/week. That would've been great if it weren't an unreasonable expectation for us to get that much work and preparation done in only 19 hours. It was an enjoyable job. Getting paid for all of the hours that I actually put in would've been the icing on the cake.
Pros
Extremely fulfilling work
Cons
not paid sufficiently for hours worked
Learning and Friendly Environment
Summer Intern (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 20, 2017
A typical day should be full of challenges that can be solved as a team.
Learning come by incremental steps whose combined effect is to make a person skillful.
Management of task and time is learned by experiences.
A friendly work environment.
Multi-tasking with various projects.
Enjoyable part is to observe what others have done and learn from their experiences.
Good
Graduate Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 19, 2017
Good place for research works. I work as a graduate research and teaching assistant here and will graduate soon. This university gives students great opportunity to learn required skills.