University of Texas at Austin Employee Reviews

Good university to study at and work with
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 22, 2017
Good work environment where individuals are treated with respect and given the opportunity to thrive. I have worked for UT in a number of capacities and appreciated every experience I had.
Productive and fun workplace
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 20, 2017
I really liked all the people I worked with, they were focused and fun to be around. They pushed me to work harder and also have fun at the same time.
Flexible and relaxed environment
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 20, 2017
Potential opportunities to participate in organic projects is attractive, but change management implementation is a nightmare within the current culture.
Pros
Flexible and relaxed environment
Cons
Salary range and career development is stagnant
Good Place To Work
Assistant Director, Internal Audits (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 20, 2017
UT Austin is a great place to work. People genuinely take pride in their job since it directly affects the education of our students. What starts here really does change the world.
Pros
Pride, Benefits, Great City (Austin)
Cons
Commute is horrible, limited telecommuting opportunities
Fun Place to work
Independent Researcher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 16, 2017
I have been working in UT Austin for more than 5 years as instructor/teaching assistant. The overall experience is positive. The people are passionate and talented.
Great experience
Co-PI Researcher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 15, 2017
Working in the Center for Science and Mathematics Education was wonderful.
I was able to be a Co-Principal Investigator on 2 major research projects as I finished my Ph.D. research work.
Many of the people I worked with were incredible.
This position led to my work as a consultant for Info2Knowledge, LLC where I gained more experience and skills as a qualitative and quantitative researcher.
Cons
Was promised a full-time position, alas due to cutbacks that did not happen
mechanic (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 10, 2017
University of Texas is a great place to work ! I have learned so much working here . Enjoyed the personal and the perks discounts on 1,000's items tickets,traveling,rental car etc.
Pros
Good Benefits and time off sick and vacation time
Cons
No raises hard to make more money
Instructor at UT
Special Programs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 3, 2017
Working at UT is fine. I imagine it the department that you are in will really dictate the work environment. Parking is atrocious. I work with the student population, which is always entertaining.
Exciting place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 3, 2017
Full of interesting people all devoted to the mission of the University. If you love working in a culture of higher education, then UT will be a good place for you.
fast paced job
Building Attendant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 2, 2017
the benefits are decent. always shorthanded and management is poor. employee relations poor. schedules not flexible. very high expectations with a demanding workload.
workplace with both a diverse culture and population
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 1, 2017
Both the over all rating and life work balance is four due to minor staffing/management issues. But this is definitely compensated with the compensation/benefits and job culture.
Pros
the compensation/benefits; diverse culture/people; company reputation
Cons
minor staffing/management issues
Fun and enlightening
Student Intern for Campus Crusade for Christ (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 28, 2017
I really got to employ management skills here, overseeing a group of over 40 people. The culture was overwhelmingly encouraging, and we created a beautiful community that is in many ways still together years later.
Pros
Dream job
Cons
low pay
Fun workplace.
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, TXFebruary 26, 2017
we had a lot of help from our supervisors, we had to be prepared one day in advance, we would help students with their homework and we would teach them new stuff.
I wish that I would not have wanted to work here so bad
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 25, 2017
This a nice facility but unfortunately they work their employees too hard. There is free health care but it is not worth it. Management have meetings all the time but nothing gets better. Please be aware if you want to work here that you have to be able to handle a high volume work load.
productive and fun
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  university of texas at austinFebruary 24, 2017
fun filled environment, tutoring incoming students, helping build leadership skills, helping students learn study skills
great learning environment
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 24, 2017
Research animal purchasing, invoicing, administrative duties.
learned how to use company timekeeping system.
very intellectual
working with difficult people
meeting lifetime friends
Pros
Holiday pay
Cons
Parking was expensive
Great work, decent pay for grad student, poor management
Teaching Assistant/Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 22, 2017
Typically arrive and jump right into planning and executing synthetic reactions toward creating a small library of analogues.
Learned how to research and plan synthetic schemes and develop original hypothesis-driven projects.
Management was poor, but my committee was aware of it and can vouch for the fact that I made the best of it that I could.
Hardest part was commuting to san marcos and dealing with an advisor who was never present and not capable of helping me.
I absolutely loved learning about the process of drug development as well as the synthetic work itself.
Pros
New research and ideas, learning very new techniques and subjects
Cons
poor management and support from advisor and somewhat from department
This job was completely new to me.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXFebruary 18, 2017
This college was different for me because I worked in the Provost Office. I didn't have too much to do with too many faculty unless they had to meet with the Provost.
Pros
I get to see the executive side of running an educational institution.
Cons
I was paid on a monthly basis.
Busy
Adminstrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 17, 2017
The department was always busy. I enjoyed meeting and greeting customers. learned more about accounting, payables and receivables.
Work life balance
SENIOR HR SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 16, 2017
A typical day at work would be about being able to rely on your fellow co-workers and higher ups to show up consistently and do their job. I in turn would do the same thing - so in essence, reliability and consistency.

I would learn about other people during the day and on a more pragmatic level, learn about how to do things more efficiently.

Management would lead by example, meaning walk their talk and not micro manage.

The workplace culture would be respectful of peoples time and opinions and focus more on the quality of work done and not try to cook cutter everyone into being exactly the same. They would value and honor diversity, and in return people would be committed to working hard.

The hardest part of the job would be dealing with difficult clients but that would also allow me and others to grow and learn how to provide better customer service. Also if there is any lack of communication among the staff, that could prove to be challenging. I would hope that there would be weekly meetings where there would be an open forum to discuss things.

The most enjoyable part of the job would be forming a bond that is genuine and authentic with fellow co-workers and supervisors/managers. Learning from others, growing with others and really enjoying working there - the job would not just be a paycheck and or being stuck in a cubicle all day doing things that were repetitive and required no ingenuity.

I realize writing this that this is supposed to be about the University of Texas at Austin...while I believe SOME part of UT can be like the above, my previous job
  more... was not like this.

This review is about a job that I would ideally like to be a part of.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Texas at Austin. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4