University of Texas at Austin Employee Reviews

Great community with some very skilled developers
Lead Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 17, 2017
If you take a public sector IT job at UT Austin, you should expect to be paid like a public sector IT worker. That said, the job has some excellent upsides, such as flexible and limited working hours. I've rarely had to work more than 40 hours per week, and when I do, I track it as comp time and take time off the next week. Benefits are decent, and the vacation policy is generous, including 12 weeks of paid parental leave per birth/adoption event.

The technical community is fantastic. In general, the developers and engineers are quite skilled at UT. The University would fall apart without them, and it's great to work with brilliant people.

Management obviously depends a lot on your particular manager, but most of the IT managers have been developers or engineers at the university themselves, so they understand the technology and culture.
Flexible and relaxed environment
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 20, 2017
Potential opportunities to participate in organic projects is attractive, but change management implementation is a nightmare within the current culture.
Pros
Flexible and relaxed environment
Cons
Salary range and career development is stagnant
Acceptable for beginner lifeguards, however no competetive pay
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 24, 2016
Since the new coordinator came in, schedules are messy. Not informative ahead of time. Management get the job done, but could do a better job with informing the subordinates as we are kept in the dark until the surprise hits. Pay is not competitive; pools nearby provide better pay for beginner guards than the Texas Swim Center does for their head guards. Leading to a continual shortage of guards.
Job isn't terrible; 99% of pool attendants are skilled swimmers so worrying about incidents is minimal at best. When not watching the pool, we do rounds to make sure the facility is in working order. Earliest shifts possible start at 4:45am and the latest the pool is open is 10:00pm.
During swim meets we typically get free food and they are top notch.
Pros
Free food during meets, little stress, works around your schedule
Cons
pay is less than adequate, unreliable communication with higher ups
workplace with both a diverse culture and population
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 1, 2017
Both the over all rating and life work balance is four due to minor staffing/management issues. But this is definitely compensated with the compensation/benefits and job culture.
Pros
the compensation/benefits; diverse culture/people; company reputation
Cons
minor staffing/management issues
Good environment, but lacks internationality
Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 31, 2017
Good locations, but hard to get to work with private or public transport. The facilities are nice although they are spread over a too big area making communication between them hard.
The job was nice and the people were helpful as long as no conflicts arose.
Good activities and courses, but should include the faculty members more.
Pros
good salary and employment benefits
Cons
very bad management and bad support for problem solving
I love UT Austin.
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 9, 2016
Not very challenging place to work. There are alot of politics going around but overall its a great place to work if you're looking to have a good family life and a stable stress free work environment. Pay isn't good and there's alot of politics in advancement. There is constant restructuring going on with different administrations and funding is at the whim of politics.
Pros
Great hours, good benefits, great amazing people to work with outside of your job.
Cons
Politics, changing administrations, not really challenging, not alot of room for personal growth.
Great place of learning, not so great at managing and fostering the growth of its staff
Administrative Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 5, 2016
Faculty and students are tops here. Staff often get overlooked and stepped on. The mission to teach and enlighten the minds of its students can sometimes get lost in the shuffle of trying to earn more revenue as the state continues to decrease its financial support of the institution.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
Management varies wildly by area
Great work, decent pay for grad student, poor management
Teaching Assistant/Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 22, 2017
Typically arrive and jump right into planning and executing synthetic reactions toward creating a small library of analogues.
Learned how to research and plan synthetic schemes and develop original hypothesis-driven projects.
Management was poor, but my committee was aware of it and can vouch for the fact that I made the best of it that I could.
Hardest part was commuting to san marcos and dealing with an advisor who was never present and not capable of helping me.
I absolutely loved learning about the process of drug development as well as the synthetic work itself.
Pros
New research and ideas, learning very new techniques and subjects
Cons
poor management and support from advisor and somewhat from department
Fun Work Place
Teaching Assistant (Mechanical Engineering Lab (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJanuary 30, 2017
 Greeting customers and money management skills, promoting sales, promotions and marketing, offered customers store deals, answered questions and concerns, followed store procedures and policies, answered calls, performed recovery and reformed closing skills.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 14, 2016
I loved my work at UT Austin. The culture here pushes you and empowers creative thinking. The faculty is very supportive and helpful. The jobs here are great for giving unique exposure in any field you pursue.
Pros
Flexible hours, positive work culture
Cons
Little benefits for students
Fun and enlightening
Student Intern for Campus Crusade for Christ (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 28, 2017
I really got to employ management skills here, overseeing a group of over 40 people. The culture was overwhelmingly encouraging, and we created a beautiful community that is in many ways still together years later.
Pros
Dream job
Cons
low pay
mechanic (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 10, 2017
University of Texas is a great place to work ! I have learned so much working here . Enjoyed the personal and the perks discounts on 1,000's items tickets,traveling,rental car etc.
Pros
Good Benefits and time off sick and vacation time
Cons
No raises hard to make more money
One of the best departments at UT-Austin
Director of Industrial Liaison & Special Projects (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 23, 2016
BME has the smartest students on campus. The research topics are promising and futuristic. I loved the opportunity to bridge research labs to my national and international industrial contacts, i.e. Johnson & Johnson, St. Jude Medical, Medtronic, Freescale and so many more. I prepared students for interview and shared my expanded work experience with them. Unfortunately, the industrial liaison program was quickly eliminated due to budget cut. I am proud to see my students today in high positions at Smith & Nephew, St. Jude Medical and other top 100 medical device companies, because prior to my arrival only small start ups in Austin were hiring BME students.
Pros
Quality work/family time
fast paced job
Building Attendant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 2, 2017
the benefits are decent. always shorthanded and management is poor. employee relations poor. schedules not flexible. very high expectations with a demanding workload.
Terrible place
Director of Laboratories; Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 6, 2016
The compensation is good, but the job security is not as good as it claimed to be. High level administrator randomly eliminate a position without even consulting the supervisor of the position holder.
Chaotic Environment
Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 15, 2016
Management constantly ignored rules to make things faster which ended up hindering the process. Management changed 3 times in less than a year. No room for advancement as most jobs have no upper levels.
Good Place To Work
Assistant Director, Internal Audits (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 20, 2017
UT Austin is a great place to work. People genuinely take pride in their job since it directly affects the education of our students. What starts here really does change the world.
Pros
Pride, Benefits, Great City (Austin)
Cons
Commute is horrible, limited telecommuting opportunities
Work life balance
SENIOR HR SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 16, 2017
A typical day at work would be about being able to rely on your fellow co-workers and higher ups to show up consistently and do their job. I in turn would do the same thing - so in essence, reliability and consistency.

I would learn about other people during the day and on a more pragmatic level, learn about how to do things more efficiently.

Management would lead by example, meaning walk their talk and not micro manage.

The workplace culture would be respectful of peoples time and opinions and focus more on the quality of work done and not try to cook cutter everyone into being exactly the same. They would value and honor diversity, and in return people would be committed to working hard.

The hardest part of the job would be dealing with difficult clients but that would also allow me and others to grow and learn how to provide better customer service. Also if there is any lack of communication among the staff, that could prove to be challenging. I would hope that there would be weekly meetings where there would be an open forum to discuss things.

The most enjoyable part of the job would be forming a bond that is genuine and authentic with fellow co-workers and supervisors/managers. Learning from others, growing with others and really enjoying working there - the job would not just be a paycheck and or being stuck in a cubicle all day doing things that were repetitive and required no ingenuity.

I realize writing this that this is supposed to be about the University of Texas at Austin...while I believe SOME part of UT can be like the above, my previous job
  more... was not like this.

This review is about a job that I would ideally like to be a part of.
I wish that I would not have wanted to work here so bad
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 25, 2017
This a nice facility but unfortunately they work their employees too hard. There is free health care but it is not worth it. Management have meetings all the time but nothing gets better. Please be aware if you want to work here that you have to be able to handle a high volume work load.
Stimulating and challenging environment
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 19, 2016
The environment offers opportunities and challenges but is often dependent upon availability of funding. A typical day involves application of your research skills and collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
Pros
Opportunity for continuing education
Cons
work/life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Texas at Austin. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4