University of Texas at Austin

University of Texas at Austin United States Employee Reviews

Exceptional nursing program
Mentor, Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 4, 2015
Multiple opportunities abound at the University and the School of Nursing for career advancement and personal growth.
Productive Environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), AustinApril 29, 2015
About University of Texas at Austin:

- Productive Environment
- Diverse student body
- Beautiful campus and city
- Affordable student housing options
- Engaging professors
Enjoyable hands on work experience with a friendly staff
Facilities Services Project Worker (Former Employee), Austin, TXApril 27, 2015
A typical day at work involved working on various maintenance and upkeep projects around the library, such as painting study rooms or moving new furniture in and out of study areas. Co-workers and management were helpful and friendly. The hardest part of the job was lifting heavy furniture objects and moving large objects through doorways.
Productive and Fun Workplace. No Vacations allowed ever.
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Austin, TXApril 22, 2015
Pros: Embraced the power of rapid prototyping and 3D printing.
Cons: No breaks, and would rather spend 5k on something we didn't need than 300 on a sensor we did.
Worked there for about a year and was let go after leaving for a 1 week vacation. Claimed to be "Work Study", yet was purely Work. That said, it was still an educational and fun working environment due to awesome coworkers. Leadership needed to get themselves ironed out though. Heard conflicting directions from management and my boss multiple times.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Austin, TXApril 18, 2015
Had the opportunity to work with lots of great people on a multitude of projects and learned a lot while I was there. I collected and analyzed data as well as interviewed participants.
we take care of our client health by affording a healthy and beautiful environment
assistant building attendant leader (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 6, 2015
I have to lead 2 persons at the normal days and this number raise to 8 when I replace my crew leader so I do my job plus his job and I have to dissolve any problem we can figure during our shift and sometimes we have to do the same job with missing of one or two person from the team so I suppose to have always plan B, but finally I enjoy working as a part of the team specially when we achieve our goals.
TA for an undergrad course
ARM M0 Processor (Former Employee), Austin, TXApril 1, 2015
Had a wonderful experience as TA. Helped me gain exposure on handling classes and assisting students in circuit lab sessions. Professor was helpful in conducting sessions. Very good university
Great place for students, with excellent management and people.
Information Research Student Associate (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 27, 2015
I loved working at UT. I could fit my schedule to my school and always felt like management understood that school came first. Excellent place to work for students.
Work study
Student Work (Former Employee), Edinburg, txMarch 23, 2015
Research and development
• Assisted professors in research in business topics and mathematical solutions in regional business markets.
• Participated in financial and operational data driven studies.
• Managed and leaded projects between professors, students, and organizations.
Psychology was a decent job
University of Texas at Austin, Psychology (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 18, 2015
I worked here after I first got married. It was a stable fairly easy job. I enjoyed all of the students I would see and the professors that were hired. I learned about manuscripts and resumes
a serious workplace
Graduate Researcher (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 18, 2015
Cons: the salary is not the ideal
At least in the places and jobs where I worked there was motivation and a healthy exchange of ideas between instructors, professors and the Teacher and researcher assistants. I felt stimulated to learn and to develop innovative ways to approach the classroom and received positive feedback from the students.
Self managing position
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Austin, TXMarch 18, 2015
I appreciated the autonomy that came with this job, as long as I got my work done, I could set up my schedule any way I pleased. The people at the job were all very friendly, and the supervisor was the best.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Austin, TXMarch 13, 2015
Pros: healthcare, vacation time
I have great coworkers at UT, and love the work I do to help students achieve their goals! The work is usually predictable, and there is usually a lot of support/training to help you succeed in your role.
Good benefits, if you can put up with bad pay, terrible managers, lack of advancement, and routine layoffs
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 12, 2015
Pros: good medical benefits, interesting place, some very interesting people
Cons: constant budget problems depressing salaries, and causing routine layoffs. a lot (perhaps most) of the management is stunningly bad.
There was a time when job candidates were told by UT Austin interviewers "If you take care of UT, UT will take care of you. You'll never see an industry-grade salary, but you'll come close. You'll have both good benefits and a good working environment. You'll work 40 hours a week, and we don't do layoffs."

They don't say that anymore, and will deny ever having said it. That's because it was only true up to a point when they said it (though even paying lip service to those ideals said something good about University values at the time), and would merely be a pack of lies today. The exception is the benefits, which are good, but remember that you're locked into the Teacher's Retirement System, so you need stay at the University long enough to vest, and with University-wide and departmental layoffs standard operating procedure since 2003, that's a lot harder than it once was.

Even as a Senior Software Engineer you're likely to earn at least $35K/year less than industry is paying, and your retirement (if you can stick it out long enough) will be based on the average of your highest five yearly salaries. For many years now, money for salaries has been so tight that holding your own against inflation has beeen problematic, so forget any fantasies about anyone doing the right thing for you in your last five years.

The software developer's career ladder has also been severely truncated over the years, which means that during your career, just a few promotions (your only chance for significant raises) are possible. Once you hit Senior Software Engineer, forget about meaningful salary – more... growth. (Job opportunities at UT are few due to the budget problems, so jumping between jobs within the institution is an unlikely source of useful salary bumps.)

In the IT sphere you can mostly expect bad, even actively abusive, managers. On the plus side, though, they are deeply concerned about career advancement and salaries. On the minus side, it is only their own advancement and salaries they are concerned about, so the politics among them are vicious and that trickles down to make already iffy and chaotic working conditions even worse.

As various people have said of the management: Those people are so bad, that even if they're not trying to make you so miserable that you'll quit, quitting is your best option. And of the UT employment experience as a whole: Get out - get out now - it'll be the best move you've ever made.

Don't be fooled into thinking it is a rich University due to all the construction on campus, the new medical school, etc. That is funded by the Permanent University Fund, private donors, etc. Staff salaries, on the other hand, are funded by the Texas Legislature, which seems to be opposed to public education at all levels. – less
Great place to work!
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Austin, TXMarch 8, 2015
Benefits are great, environment is relaxed. I would recommend this University as a great place to work. No bad things to say.
Graduate Research Assistant
MD Anderson, Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 4, 2015
Conducted cutting-edge biochemical and genetic-based research in Caenorhabditis elegans and determined the role of a group of peroxidases in the host innate immune response to human infectious diseases. Earned my PhD in Microbiology and Molecular Genetics in under 5 years.
Academia
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Austin, TXMarch 1, 2015
Employed as a graduate student, not as a typical full-time staffer. Worked on research; challenging in a positive way.
Great school, vibrant culture
Graduate Student Instructor (Former Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 27, 2015
I really enjoyed teaching at UT Austin as a graduate student instructor. It was sometimes tough to balance research with teaching duties, but my students were more often than not enthusiastic about learning. This was a great way to keep myself motivated in my research as well.
Productive and collaborative workplace
Graduate Student (Former Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 22, 2015
Great place to work. People working with me are very nice and helpful.
The environment is good to be productive, innovate and build new ideas and technology.
Very laid back and stress free work environment right in the center of campus.
Physics Labratory Assistant (Current Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: worry free with the ability to concentrate on school work.
Cons: did not really provide any challenges in order to learn new skills.
The Physics Demonstration Lab allowed for the ability to further understand difficult physics concepts and allow for a laid back, college job right on campus. It was fairly worry free as there were no real deadlines or safety concerns that were handled in the lab, but still gave quite a bit of responsibility on setting up and repairing certain demos for the physics classes themselves.

1 2 3 4 5

$11.60 per hour
IT Manager
$80,000 per year

University of Texas at Austin Photos

This is the main building at the University of Texas.
Interstate 35 can been seen in the background.
Great class