University of Texas at Austin Employee Reviews

Great community with some very skilled developers
Lead Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 17, 2017
If you take a public sector IT job at UT Austin, you should expect to be paid like a public sector IT worker. That said, the job has some excellent upsides, such as flexible and limited working hours. I've rarely had to work more than 40 hours per week, and when I do, I track it as comp time and take time off the next week. Benefits are decent, and the vacation policy is generous, including 12 weeks of paid parental leave per birth/adoption event.

The technical community is fantastic. In general, the developers and engineers are quite skilled at UT. The University would fall apart without them, and it's great to work with brilliant people.

Management obviously depends a lot on your particular manager, but most of the IT managers have been developers or engineers at the university themselves, so they understand the technology and culture.
Good environment, but lacks internationality
Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 31, 2017
Good locations, but hard to get to work with private or public transport. The facilities are nice although they are spread over a too big area making communication between them hard.
The job was nice and the people were helpful as long as no conflicts arose.
Good activities and courses, but should include the faculty members more.
Pros
good salary and employment benefits
Cons
very bad management and bad support for problem solving
Great place of learning, not so great at managing and fostering the growth of its staff
Administrative Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 5, 2016
Faculty and students are tops here. Staff often get overlooked and stepped on. The mission to teach and enlighten the minds of its students can sometimes get lost in the shuffle of trying to earn more revenue as the state continues to decrease its financial support of the institution.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
Management varies wildly by area
I love UT Austin.
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 9, 2016
Not very challenging place to work. There are alot of politics going around but overall its a great place to work if you're looking to have a good family life and a stable stress free work environment. Pay isn't good and there's alot of politics in advancement. There is constant restructuring going on with different administrations and funding is at the whim of politics.
Pros
Great hours, good benefits, great amazing people to work with outside of your job.
Cons
Politics, changing administrations, not really challenging, not alot of room for personal growth.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 14, 2016
I loved my work at UT Austin. The culture here pushes you and empowers creative thinking. The faculty is very supportive and helpful. The jobs here are great for giving unique exposure in any field you pursue.
Pros
Flexible hours, positive work culture
Cons
Little benefits for students
Terrible place
Director of Laboratories; Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 6, 2016
The compensation is good, but the job security is not as good as it claimed to be. High level administrator randomly eliminate a position without even consulting the supervisor of the position holder.
Worthwhile experience
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 6, 2017
I was an undergraduate assistant in the department of pharmacy under a work study award. This was not salary based. I assisted in maintaining the lab and running tests with my advisor. It was a fun experience
UT Austin -System Admin
Austin - System Administrator II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 8, 2016
A typical day at work starts with viewing my appointments/meetings. Making any necessary changes.
A quick overview of our services status. Then checking the ticket que and helping customers with a variety of IT issues.

around noon:
lunch (includes exercise)
In the afternoon - working on tickets (servers, clients)
working on IT projects- XenApp, Labs, Images

most enjoyable part of the day is seeing hard work pay off. Usually when users/systems look promising.
Pros
Retirement plan/stability
Cons
salary
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 30, 2016
good benefits, potential to learn a lot on the job. Easy to accrue vacation time, generally laid back environment. Nice setting on the UT campus, lots of events going on nearby.
Pros
work / life balance, benefits
Cons
Cost of living in Austin can outpace salary
Great Job
Advising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 21, 2016
Everyone is very welcoming and warm. they take their time to train you. Fun environment, easy jobi would still be working there if I didn't move out of the state. great benefits, great cooworkers.
Acceptable for beginner lifeguards, however no competetive pay
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 24, 2016
Since the new coordinator came in, schedules are messy. Not informative ahead of time. Management get the job done, but could do a better job with informing the subordinates as we are kept in the dark until the surprise hits. Pay is not competitive; pools nearby provide better pay for beginner guards than the Texas Swim Center does for their head guards. Leading to a continual shortage of guards.
Job isn't terrible; 99% of pool attendants are skilled swimmers so worrying about incidents is minimal at best. When not watching the pool, we do rounds to make sure the facility is in working order. Earliest shifts possible start at 4:45am and the latest the pool is open is 10:00pm.
During swim meets we typically get free food and they are top notch.
Pros
Free food during meets, little stress, works around your schedule
Cons
pay is less than adequate, unreliable communication with higher ups
Great work, decent pay for grad student, poor management
Teaching Assistant/Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 22, 2017
Typically arrive and jump right into planning and executing synthetic reactions toward creating a small library of analogues.
Learned how to research and plan synthetic schemes and develop original hypothesis-driven projects.
Management was poor, but my committee was aware of it and can vouch for the fact that I made the best of it that I could.
Hardest part was commuting to san marcos and dealing with an advisor who was never present and not capable of helping me.
I absolutely loved learning about the process of drug development as well as the synthetic work itself.
Pros
New research and ideas, learning very new techniques and subjects
Cons
poor management and support from advisor and somewhat from department
One of the best departments at UT-Austin
Director of Industrial Liaison & Special Projects (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 23, 2016
BME has the smartest students on campus. The research topics are promising and futuristic. I loved the opportunity to bridge research labs to my national and international industrial contacts, i.e. Johnson & Johnson, St. Jude Medical, Medtronic, Freescale and so many more. I prepared students for interview and shared my expanded work experience with them. Unfortunately, the industrial liaison program was quickly eliminated due to budget cut. I am proud to see my students today in high positions at Smith & Nephew, St. Jude Medical and other top 100 medical device companies, because prior to my arrival only small start ups in Austin were hiring BME students.
Pros
Quality work/family time
Nice place to work
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXJuly 11, 2016
The University of Texas At Tyler is a nice place to work in general with amazing benefits. The only real downside is the lack of good management.
Fun Work Place
Teaching Assistant (Mechanical Engineering Lab (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJanuary 30, 2017
 Greeting customers and money management skills, promoting sales, promotions and marketing, offered customers store deals, answered questions and concerns, followed store procedures and policies, answered calls, performed recovery and reformed closing skills.
Good place to work for college student to make ends meet
Undergraduate assistant (Former Employee) –  ECE departmentJune 28, 2016
I worked here as a computer lab proctor. The hours are flexible and benefits are good. It was a friendly team environment.
Wonderful but confusing
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 2, 2016
Working as a researcher at UT Austin is fantastic in terms of other committments, but the structure of payment is not well explained, and you pay severely in terms of benefits when you take on the position without much information on how it affects your insurance.
Pros
Good amounts of free time
Cons
Confusing, financially inferior to common alternatives
Challenging and exciting workplace.
Research Assistant - seems appropriate. (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX - Love Austin!January 18, 2016
1) A typical day at work consisted primarily of training new instrument users on the SEM and EDS.
2) I learned many new applications of the SEM to solve a wide variety of research problems.
3) Management didn't do anything to support my efforts or reward my accomplishments. They were mostly absent from the scene.
4) I had no co-workers as such, but the users were largely a bright and well mannered group.
5) The hardest part of the job was dealing with the occasional inflated ego.
6) The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a user gain valuable insight into their research with the instrumentation.
Pros
Never a boring job! Always something new.
Cons
Only part-time (19 hours per week) therefore no benefits.
Working at UT
Research Associate Scientist I (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 13, 2016
My time here at the university has been a tremendously rewarding experience and has enriched my skills as a scientist. The work is challenging and I have never stopped learning as a result.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No parking
Stimulating and challenging environment
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 19, 2016
The environment offers opportunities and challenges but is often dependent upon availability of funding. A typical day involves application of your research skills and collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
Pros
Opportunity for continuing education
Cons
work/life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Texas at Austin. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4