University of Texas at Austin Employee Reviews in United States

Great University to start or continue your education
Project Manager student (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 12, 2016
Great place to enhance ones capacities and have better opportunities at the professional field.
Only attending as professional student for the Project Management Certificate Program which is valid to sit for the Project Management Professional Exam developed and created by the Project Management Institute.
Pros
Prestige
Cons
Cost
Decent work environment
Graduate Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 15, 2016
There are programs with too many hands involved and some with poor organization and no help for training and support.

Many people are pleasant to work with, but I think UT needs to reevaluate many positions and help supplement those good workers where they need help.

All the money goes to athletics which is why the academics and culture suffers.
Open door policy, lots of opportunities for advancement.
Clerk 1 Clerk 11 Clerk 111 (Former Employee) –  P.O.Box 7399 Austin, Texas 78713-7399May 8, 2016
A typical day at work would be hard to explain. I wore many hats during an eight hour shift,
The daily duties would rotate based on any given day of the monthly cycle.
The hardest part if the job was being able to see all the projects in a completed state.
Pros
A lot of artistic, entertainment, culture events
Cons
Unable to handle the growth of the work force.
Great University
French Tutor, Tutor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 1, 2016
I enjoyed lab very much. Gave me a passion for the sciences and data analysis
• Cultured bacteriophages and bacterium in order to analyzed genetic mutations within bacteriophages
• Perform statistical analysis and develop methods to clean and sequence DNA
• Presented research, posters, oral presentations, laboratory techniques, research reviews, and data/results on a national and international level on weekly basis
• Worked with team of undergraduates to develop strain of bacteriophages that targeted various types of bacterium
Wonderful but confusing
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 2, 2016
Working as a researcher at UT Austin is fantastic in terms of other committments, but the structure of payment is not well explained, and you pay severely in terms of benefits when you take on the position without much information on how it affects your insurance.
Pros
Good amounts of free time
Cons
Confusing, financially inferior to common alternatives
The work environment provided employees with a sense of security and unity, allowing for an overall positive, optimistic atmosphere at the university
Assistant Building Attendant Leader (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 17, 2016
The University of Texas at Austin has been a wonderful step in my present work experience. The coworkers are all supportive and encourage one another to perform his or her best each day, making for a more suitable working environment.
Texas Student Media Need New Management
Advertising Account Executive, Texas Student Media (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2016
Texas Student Media is a great place to get experience working in advertising sales. The management and commission plan need to change in order to be up to par of the Moody College and UT.
Pros
Experience
Cons
lousy commission plan and Management
Works
Separation Research Program Technician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 15, 2016
I had this job when I was in UT-Austin. I was guided by two professional technicians. They are really up in their game and extremely proficient in what they are doing.
Also, I am truly thankful for the kind team leader for helping me and recommending me to numerous universities.
Fun school to attend with a lot of work to have me prepared for the future job
Senior Design Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXMarch 1, 2016
The school promoted a proper learning environment with so much flexibility to adjust the pressure. Projects assigned by professors were similar or resembling real life work environment challenges. There was great team work in the assigned project with classmates as well as professors. The hardest part of the job was to break down new concepts that were incorporated in the projects, and the most enjoyable part of the projects we did was coming out with the most effective solution to the problems presented in the projects.
Pros
very good learning environment, good rapport between students and instructors
Cons
computers froze most of the time we were working on the projects
Flexible job schedule and great work environment
Student Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 13, 2016
Management is comprehensive and flexible hours to work. It is a great work environment with supportive coworkers. Everyone shows great customer service skills when helping people who come to game days. We care for the overall experience of the people coming to the events and will be of service on any possible way. The boss is really supportive, energetic, and understanding towards the employees, and will look out for them. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people and seeing that this job is worth it because you bring them happiness and comfort. The hardest part of the job is to handle a difficult problem that comes across when you do not have the answer to the question but I have learned to figure it out and come up with solutions.
Pros
Encouraging environment, the boss is open to hear the opinions of others
Cons
Time varies with events available
Good place to work, friendly staff
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Port Aransas, TXMay 22, 2016
I'm currently the night shift security guard. So the hours I work I interact only rarely with the rest of the faculty and staff. But from what I've seen it seems like a pretty relaxed environment.
Pros
Good Benefit package
Cons
Little chance of promotion
Great place to advance
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 24, 2016
wonderful co-corkers and have learned and progressed my computer skills over the years. The insurance is affordable for the family. They also have classes for you to be able to advance in your job.
Pros
great insurance benefits
Cons
traffic going home is very bad
Exciting workplace with great student athletes.
Exec. Asst. to the Executive Sr. Associate AD (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 20, 2016
Interacting with Division 1 student athletes on a daily basis is a great benefit. Academics is a vital part of any student athletes experience and this group of advisers and
Pros
Free access to all sporting events
They have very advanced learning system all over the country.
Visiting Research Scholar (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 19, 2016
They have very advanced learning system all over the country. The second excellent approach is the research methodology, which is unique among The United States Universities.
Welcoming environment.
Student Associate (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 7, 2016
I worked in the business office in the College of Pharmacy. I helped with data entry, prepared payment vouchers, paid monthly and yearly bills, purchased items for laboratories and departments in the College of Pharmacy.
Challenging and exciting workplace.
Research Assistant - seems appropriate. (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX - Love Austin!January 18, 2016
1) A typical day at work consisted primarily of training new instrument users on the SEM and EDS.
2) I learned many new applications of the SEM to solve a wide variety of research problems.
3) Management didn't do anything to support my efforts or reward my accomplishments. They were mostly absent from the scene.
4) I had no co-workers as such, but the users were largely a bright and well mannered group.
5) The hardest part of the job was dealing with the occasional inflated ego.
6) The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a user gain valuable insight into their research with the instrumentation.
Pros
Never a boring job! Always something new.
Cons
Only part-time (19 hours per week) therefore no benefits.
What starts here does change the world and your life...
Senior Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 14, 2016
One of the largest employers in Austin and rewarding careers. My position at UT Austin was one of the most enjoyable times of my life. The diverse culture, energetic campus and eager students make it easy to come to work. During my time, growth internally and between departments seemed strong and rewarding for many. I would highly recommend being part of the university team if you are lucky to be selected.
Great coworkers and management
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 1, 2016
Excellent management made things always go smoothly. Typical reception desk tasks including light administrative work and maintaining office appearance.
Pros
Good working environment, friendly coworkers and managers
Working at UT
Research Associate Scientist I (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 13, 2016
My time here at the university has been a tremendously rewarding experience and has enriched my skills as a scientist. The work is challenging and I have never stopped learning as a result.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No parking
Can't Beat State Benefits-But Hostile Workplace
Telecommunications Operator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 7, 2016
Upon arrival, I saw that there were only three minorities out of the 80 or so personnel there. You MUST fit in or you will be treated with hostility. Too much profanity, inappropriate joking, i.e., racists comments. You are expected to overlook blatant ethic violations. If you report a legitimate act of discrimination, you will be looking for another job!
Pros
State Benefits
Cons
White Only, closed-knit, cliques, hostile

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Texas at Austin. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4