University of Texas at Austin Employee Reviews

Friendly, tightly-knit workplace
Work Study (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 26, 2016
I love working here. The people are always so friendly, welcoming, and accommodating. I have greatly increased my interpersonal skills and ability to multitask. Management varies from department to department, with my department having a centralized managerial system.
Pros
Worker's lounge
Cons
Have to pay for parking
typical day at work
tech1 custodial (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 22, 2016
very hard how to use new equipment some good some good never enough help off on holidays some older people did not about working
Pros
weekends off
Cons
short of help
Challenging and exciting workplace.
Research Assistant - seems appropriate. (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX - Love Austin!January 18, 2016
1) A typical day at work consisted primarily of training new instrument users on the SEM and EDS.
2) I learned many new applications of the SEM to solve a wide variety of research problems.
3) Management didn't do anything to support my efforts or reward my accomplishments. They were mostly absent from the scene.
4) I had no co-workers as such, but the users were largely a bright and well mannered group.
5) The hardest part of the job was dealing with the occasional inflated ego.
6) The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a user gain valuable insight into their research with the instrumentation.
Pros
Never a boring job! Always something new.
Cons
Only part-time (19 hours per week) therefore no benefits.
A great place to learn
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 14, 2016
UT Austin is a great place to learn, and you can learn almost anything that you like. It is great that you can register for most of the courses in other departments and enjoy the positive atmosphere of the university. Here, you will have access to several resources for your work and your joy, so it is up to you on how to use them.
What starts here does change the world and your life...
Senior Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 14, 2016
One of the largest employers in Austin and rewarding careers. My position at UT Austin was one of the most enjoyable times of my life. The diverse culture, energetic campus and eager students make it easy to come to work. During my time, growth internally and between departments seemed strong and rewarding for many. I would highly recommend being part of the university team if you are lucky to be selected.
very creative and friendly
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 14, 2016
I am working in the cyber-physical system lab in the department of mechanical engineering. The work here is very enjoyable and productive.
Pros
working environment, intelligent people
Cons
not obvious
Tier one University
Senior Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 7, 2016
Great place to teach. Teach four courses -full-time. The University has the best resources and facilities.

Overall well-managed organization highly centralized.

Faculty is very supportive.
Productive and enjoy working in an international environment
postdoctoral (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 23, 2015
Working at The University of Texas at Austin is great specially for a project involving multidisciplinary research activities. I find this environment very exciting and encouraging for a growing individual with potential in the future that needs nurture and outlook for a future lead roles in a growing economy. Working in a large university gives me an opportunity to work with individuals from different parts of the world and get to know them and their social economical cultures.
Developed skills that I will have for the rest of my life that can be transferred to everyday socializing to computer multitasking.
Computer Lab Aide (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, TXDecember 22, 2015
I developed interpersonal skills in a professional environment which allowed me to grow my knowledge on computers and computer programs such as Photoshop, Microsoft Office, Final Cut Pro and so on. Management and employees were very nice and helped each other out as much as we could.
Pros
Very calm environment, worked around school schedule
Cons
Only allowed to work 19 hours a week
Good Job Security
Senior program coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 17, 2015
UT is a fast paced environment. Where job culture and community are essential to thrive. Most people enjoy their work and like to be included in everyday tasks. I recommend people to work here for the benefits alone are fantastic.
Pros
Time off during Christmas
Cons
Tons of work
Work-Study Position
Downtown Work Study (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 14, 2015
Because it is work study, you are only able to work small amount of hours. The pay is decent if you do not have bills. Staff were great to work with. Easy job and always work with your school schedule.
Productive telecommuting
Secondary Math Curriculum Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 21, 2015
Great work experience as an educator collaborating with professors and personnel from home. Personal computer was necessary to complete work. Training was not provided. Created curriculum-based assessments and worked with personnel to polish assessments.
productive work atmosphere
sous chef (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 10, 2015
I am a chef at Jester Basement I over see a hot food production area were I feed 6000 for lunch and dinner. I over see day to day operations,purchasing,inventory. I manage a staff of 25 30 I also float around units on campus covering Chef manager positions as well manage the units needs. I have knowledge of HACCP program as well as dietary restrictions.

The most part I enjoy about my job is that I work Mon-Fri and off on the holidays. The thing that I least enjoy is that we get paid once month and its hard to advance to upper management. The most challenging part of my job is having a recipe system that is not very accurate.
Pros
free lunch and parking
Cons
health benefits and paid vacation mon-fri if possible
Great!!
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 4, 2015
Great Place to work with supportive management. Being a Graduate Teaching assistant I get to work with Director and Assistant Director of the Flagship program. I tend to understand their requirement and give them best possible solution for making the website more fruitful for students and others. The job require me to wok independently and its a great learning experience along with a Graduate student.
Good Uni for Grad School
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 3, 2015
It is a great university, according to the field of study. As any other place, it has its cons and pros. My colleagues in the program were helpful into explaining me the system of how to navigate grad school. The office management of the department is quick in problem-solution and communication excels. The most enjoyable part of grad school is interaction with students. Despite the fact I am here to help them be more critical and understand course material, I have also learned from them.
Great learning experience
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 2, 2015
Very simple work day. You're allowed to explore option and thinking critically about a problem is encouraged. It's a lot of fun being the driving force behind the end goal of the product.
Pros
Free snacks on Fridays
Excellent
Contract Technology Analyst (QuickLookTM Writer) (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 26, 2015
Excellent public school. Good access to information such as subscribed library materials. Communication might be a challenge due to heavy city traffic.
Great facilities at an established University
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Department of ChemistryOctober 25, 2015
I worked as a student researcher. I liked my work, met great people, and enjoyed the top notch facilities that come with an established university. UT is constantly doing renovations and renewing equipment. The instruments were always top notch.
Excellent co-workers/Poor management and no raises
Middle Management (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 22, 2015
I worked over in the College of Natural Sciences. I did enjoy my co-workers and the humane attitude CNS took to taking time off and having a flexible schedule. I also had a great deal of autonomy in my position.

Poor management. Poor communication from management. Current dean was brought in to bring budget back in to shape after years of over-spending. There has been a mandate for hiring and pay freezes although people were still being hired and I heard of a few raises being handed out (I received one), but there are just as many people being laid off. Management has stated people should just enjoy working at UT and not worry about getting raises. I would strongly take this into account when weighing a CNS job. I hear other colleges at UT are managed better.

However, there are larger problems of mysterious accounting at UT as the public narration is the university is just making ends meet, but behind the scenes UT is making lots of money hand over fist. It seems UT is wanting to funnel this money into other areas other than rewarding their work force.
Pros
Co-workers, flexible work schedule, autonomy
Cons
No raises, poor management communication which led to poor morale
Research is what you make of it
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Center for Aeromechanics ResearchOctober 21, 2015
You can spend 18 hours a day researching or none at all. In the end the amount of effort you put in will determine the results obtained.
Pros
open work schedule
Cons
tight deadlines

4.4