University of Texas at Austin Employee Reviews

This job was completely new to me.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXFebruary 18, 2017
This college was different for me because I worked in the Provost Office. I didn't have too much to do with too many faculty unless they had to meet with the Provost.
Pros
I get to see the executive side of running an educational institution.
Cons
I was paid on a monthly basis.
Busy
Adminstrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 17, 2017
The department was always busy. I enjoyed meeting and greeting customers. learned more about accounting, payables and receivables.
Work life balance
SENIOR HR SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 16, 2017
A typical day at work would be about being able to rely on your fellow co-workers and higher ups to show up consistently and do their job. I in turn would do the same thing - so in essence, reliability and consistency.

I would learn about other people during the day and on a more pragmatic level, learn about how to do things more efficiently.

Management would lead by example, meaning walk their talk and not micro manage.

The workplace culture would be respectful of peoples time and opinions and focus more on the quality of work done and not try to cook cutter everyone into being exactly the same. They would value and honor diversity, and in return people would be committed to working hard.

The hardest part of the job would be dealing with difficult clients but that would also allow me and others to grow and learn how to provide better customer service. Also if there is any lack of communication among the staff, that could prove to be challenging. I would hope that there would be weekly meetings where there would be an open forum to discuss things.

The most enjoyable part of the job would be forming a bond that is genuine and authentic with fellow co-workers and supervisors/managers. Learning from others, growing with others and really enjoying working there - the job would not just be a paycheck and or being stuck in a cubicle all day doing things that were repetitive and required no ingenuity.

I realize writing this that this is supposed to be about the University of Texas at Austin...while I believe SOME part of UT can be like the above, my previous job
  more... was not like this.

This review is about a job that I would ideally like to be a part of.
good colege i heard
Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXFebruary 16, 2017
did not go to school at UT Austin. I attended the University of Texas at El Paso. As a collegiate student athlete I learned the importance of working with others and being able to work with a sense of urgency amongst tons of other things.
Always Playing Politics
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 15, 2017
The people who work here are so full of their egos that they can not see the student's needs.
Bullying happens there all the time, and when it is reported, it is not addressed, and gets passed up the chain until you are so tired of making appointments that you give up.
Very good work training at this university
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 10, 2017
The culture here only hires the best and they really know how to do this. They train you well and give you the opportunity to excel.
Team work to keep the university healthy and clean
Fernando Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TX 78712February 9, 2017
Absolutely loved my crew leader worked really well as a unit in a team. The 3 month rotation is great to get to know your different buildings, the learning process as well as scenery.
Pros
Blue Cross blue shield insurance paid vacation/ sick/ and holiday pay
Better or worse
Academic Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 7, 2017
Having worked several other institutions of higher ed, I find UT as middle of the road. It may have good rankings but is not as progressive in programs or diversity as others.
Building Attendent II
Team member (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 6, 2017
Custodial Services: Woking as a Team member to clean large buildings daily. Doing things such as cleaning offices, classrooms, computer labs, vacuuming, mopping, and buffing floors; as well as stripping, scrubbing, and waxing floors.
Good environment, but lacks internationality
Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 31, 2017
Good locations, but hard to get to work with private or public transport. The facilities are nice although they are spread over a too big area making communication between them hard.
The job was nice and the people were helpful as long as no conflicts arose.
Good activities and courses, but should include the faculty members more.
Pros
good salary and employment benefits
Cons
very bad management and bad support for problem solving

Want to know more about University of Texas at Austin?

Ask a question
Fun Work Place
Teaching Assistant (Mechanical Engineering Lab (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJanuary 30, 2017
 Greeting customers and money management skills, promoting sales, promotions and marketing, offered customers store deals, answered questions and concerns, followed store procedures and policies, answered calls, performed recovery and reformed closing skills.
productive and fun place
Software Engineer Intern (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 18, 2017
Great place to study and work. Smart people to work with. As a teaching assistant, the undergraduate students are easy to work teach because they are hard-working and clever.
Great community with some very skilled developers
Lead Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 17, 2017
If you take a public sector IT job at UT Austin, you should expect to be paid like a public sector IT worker. That said, the job has some excellent upsides, such as flexible and limited working hours. I've rarely had to work more than 40 hours per week, and when I do, I track it as comp time and take time off the next week. Benefits are decent, and the vacation policy is generous, including 12 weeks of paid parental leave per birth/adoption event.

The technical community is fantastic. In general, the developers and engineers are quite skilled at UT. The University would fall apart without them, and it's great to work with brilliant people.

Management obviously depends a lot on your particular manager, but most of the IT managers have been developers or engineers at the university themselves, so they understand the technology and culture.
Great Information Systems Department
Programming & Information Systems Faculty Asst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 12, 2017
Great learning experience to develop the necessary skills to be able to succeed in the industry wich you are going for. Professors and staff were helpful in guiding and training each student to teach others and grow.
Pros
Great Learning Experience
Cons
Little to no pay
Great Job
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 9, 2017
Working at this lab was really great.

However, it does not make sense to review a lab. Now I am going to have to finish the rest of the 150 minimum words.
A great learning experience
TIP Mentor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 9, 2017
The University of Texas is a great place to work. Because of the nature of the campus, people seek to foster the best of each other. Everyone is willing to help anyone with any shortcomings with respect to work. Because of this, I found that employees work their best to help each other and better themselves.
Great Experience
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 7, 2017
Learning environment and great university.
Nice city. Great resources. Most attractive campus in the area. Possibilities for growth.
Worthwhile experience
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 6, 2017
I was an undergraduate assistant in the department of pharmacy under a work study award. This was not salary based. I assisted in maintaining the lab and running tests with my advisor. It was a fun experience
Productive agency
Research Assistant/Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 2, 2017
Worked on a grant that dealt with health care. Very productive, this grant was between the USA and China on heart disease. We used to different classes of races to gather our information. we where able to use blood, blood pressure maturation and height and weight. Our study was completed in 5 years.
Pros
Great incentives for the kids
Cons
none noted
Highly regarded educational institution.
Visiting Scholar (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 31, 2016
My association with the University of Texas, Austin was limited to service as independent contractor and guest lecturer.

My engagement was per an annual offer and contract.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Texas at Austin. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4