University of Texas at Austin Employee Reviews

Teaching Arabic
Arabic Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 2, 2016
I love my job and I have a passion for it. I have obtained tremendous experiences with great faculty members. I am currently teaching Arabic third-year/ intermediate level.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Not applicable
One of the best departments at UT-Austin
Director of Industrial Liaison & Special Projects (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 23, 2016
BME has the smartest students on campus. The research topics are promising and futuristic. I loved the opportunity to bridge research labs to my national and international industrial contacts, i.e. Johnson & Johnson, St. Jude Medical, Medtronic, Freescale and so many more. I prepared students for interview and shared my expanded work experience with them. Unfortunately, the industrial liaison program was quickly eliminated due to budget cut. I am proud to see my students today in high positions at Smith & Nephew, St. Jude Medical and other top 100 medical device companies, because prior to my arrival only small start ups in Austin were hiring BME students.
Pros
Quality work/family time
Great Job
Advising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 21, 2016
Everyone is very welcoming and warm. they take their time to train you. Fun environment, easy jobi would still be working there if I didn't move out of the state. great benefits, great cooworkers.
Stimulating and challenging environment
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 19, 2016
The environment offers opportunities and challenges but is often dependent upon availability of funding. A typical day involves application of your research skills and collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
Pros
Opportunity for continuing education
Cons
work/life balance
A great place to pursue PhD study
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 18, 2016
I got great training during my study at UT Austin. My supervisor emphasized hands-on experience. A student in the lab will not only work on academic projects, he/she will also need to participate in designing and building scientific instrument. It is very tough, but very worthy. Students will have a full spectrum of know-how process in the development of research methods/techniques.
Chaotic Environment
Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 15, 2016
Management constantly ignored rules to make things faster which ended up hindering the process. Management changed 3 times in less than a year. No room for advancement as most jobs have no upper levels.
Terrible place
Director of Laboratories; Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 6, 2016
The compensation is good, but the job security is not as good as it claimed to be. High level administrator randomly eliminate a position without even consulting the supervisor of the position holder.
Great student job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 6, 2016
Duties mainly included:
-Holding office hours to help with lecture material and assignments
-Attending lectures
-Grading quizzes, homework, and exams
Pros
Good work-school balance. Location.
Cons
Grading can be cumbersome
Fulfilling and meaningful work experience
PTS, Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TX 78705November 4, 2016
I arrived to work with a flexible schedule with employer who was very understanding with my personal and school life as a student. I learned to maintain and record recycling projects, inventory and kept track of email accounts, as well as communicating to other department and staff members. The job was not difficult, just fulfilling and meaningful.
Productive, communicative workplace
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 2, 2016
Co-workers do not have trouble communicating what should be done better as well as what is being done well. Management is firm but kind.
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 30, 2016
good benefits, potential to learn a lot on the job. Easy to accrue vacation time, generally laid back environment. Nice setting on the UT campus, lots of events going on nearby.
Pros
work / life balance, benefits
Cons
Cost of living in Austin can outpace salary
Nice place to work, people and students very nice
Maintenance Technician / Shop Foreman (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 25, 2016
this was a very nice place to work! Building Maintenance was not difficult. Mostly working on kitchen equipment. Worked well with supervisor
Pros
close to to
Cons
slow
Excellent GRA positions
Austin, Summer Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 12, 2016
I worked as a summer GRA at the School of Information for a single professor. Typical academic work including writing/editing a lit review, research etc.
A day on the campus of University Of Texas At San Antonio
Campus Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 10, 2016
Very Busy, Positive Energy , meetings with staff to go over days production, Great team work. Call outs make it hard. Most enjoyable part is the teachings I give to all my staff. Firm but fair manager, I learned to set the example for others to follow.
Pros
Free Lunch, break 45 minute
Cons
Hard to get a day off at times, unless medical related
UT Dallas
Department Manager & Rhetoric Instructor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 21, 2016
Great place to work. Education is so free and allows you to help people to set and accomplish goals. It was nice to talk to the students (of all ages) and hear their hearts and to hear how they planned to make the world a better place through their newly found education.
Supervisory role in an Academic Library
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 20, 2016
Assist many patrons a day with library related needs and manage a group of student workers. The management is friendly and helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job is exploring different aspects of library services.
Student Worker
Research Assistant/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 12, 2016
I worked with the chemistry department for the chairman's office assisting in all tasks necessary. The people in the department were all very kind, helpful, and understanding toward my schedule as a student.
Fun work place
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 11, 2016
The University is very accommodating to your schedule needs. People on campus are very friendly. As a student worker you get the ability to have your schedule fit your needs.
Great workplace atmosphere
Registered Dietitian Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 31, 2016
I had a wonderful experience at the University of Texas. The employees and managers all treated you with respect. The atmosphere was very relaxed, but encouraged all employees to grow within their on sphere.
Pros
Great working atmosphere and employees
Cons
No free lunches.
The university provides ample research opportunities and a hub of Research
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 29, 2016
I work as a Graduate Research Assistant in the Civil Engineering Department. I find that this is a great platform to perform research and gather knowledge in field related to Construction Productivity.

4.4