University of Texas at Austin

University of Texas at Austin Employer Reviews

Academia
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Austin, TXMarch 1, 2015
Employed as a graduate student, not as a typical full-time staffer. Worked on research; challenging in a positive way.
Great school, vibrant culture
Graduate Student Instructor (Former Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 27, 2015
I really enjoyed teaching at UT Austin as a graduate student instructor. It was sometimes tough to balance research with teaching duties, but my students were more often than not enthusiastic about learning. This was a great way to keep myself motivated in my research as well.
Productive and collaborative workplace
Graduate Student (Former Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 22, 2015
Great place to work. People working with me are very nice and helpful.
The environment is good to be productive, innovate and build new ideas and technology.
Very laid back and stress free work environment right in the center of campus.
Physics Labratory Assistant (Current Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: worry free with the ability to concentrate on school work.
Cons: did not really provide any challenges in order to learn new skills.
The Physics Demonstration Lab allowed for the ability to further understand difficult physics concepts and allow for a laid back, college job right on campus. It was fairly worry free as there were no real deadlines or safety concerns that were handled in the lab, but still gave quite a bit of responsibility on setting up and repairing certain demos for the physics classes themselves.
Wonderful workplace
Senior Academic Advisor II (Former Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: respectful atmosphere
This was the most awesome workplace. Respected by leadership and colleagues. And working with the students was very rewarding and I enjoyed every minute of it.
Great University
Accounting Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 6, 2015
I worked as a TA for several accounting classes and enjoyed the experience of working with students and professors. Daily work consisted of grading papers, running TA office hours, and administering tests.
Great Benefits
Sr. Account Program Manager (Current Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: low pay and hard to advance
Working at the University of Texas at Austin has been great learning experience and is a fun place to work at. However, there is just not much room for advancement and raises.
Good place to work and study
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 2, 2015
The department is friendly. Enjoyable working experience. Workload is sometimes high for a graduate student, but still acceptable.
I received my education here. It's fantastic!
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 2, 2015
Being able to volunteer as a research assistant in the psychology lab at the university was amazing. I gained a lot from working there and was happy to lend my time to the project we were working on. The job was monotonous for the most part, typical data entry and phone call stuff but working directly with participants was the thing that kept me interested. Great place, great job.
Good place to be a graduate student
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 30, 2015
You can work on really interesting research projects, and adjust your work load according to the progress of your project. Co-workers are nice, smart, and respectful. I enjoy my PhD study at UT Austin. I feel I have greatly improved myself.
Productive and Instructive Place
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 29, 2015
This was a temporary, unpaid internship to gain valuable experience.
Great school
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 26, 2015
Definitely one of the best engineering schools in the country.
Student Associate (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 22, 2015
It was a great environment in a learning atmosphere. I learned a lot from all the positions I had, and there was ample room for advancement.
professional environment, teamwork among staff, pleasant work environment
Sr. Administrative Associate (Current Employee), Institute for Computational Engineering & SciencesJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: excellent faculty and committed supervisors, teamwork among administrators, well-run organization, really care about the students, pleasant work environment.
Cons: long commute, traffic congestion, only 8-5 workhours are allowed, low pay compared to west coast
Austin is a beautiful city to live in, and my job at U. Texas is in a brand new high-tech building. I arrive to work early and log-in by 8:00 am. I review my workload and decide what is priority to accomplish today. There a variety of tasks to do. I enjoy working with the faculty, post-docs, and graduate students. As I finish a project I check if off my electronic list. I log-in new projects in color-coded files and have a system to track and move the workflow through my desk until it's completed. I do different kinds of tasks on different days. Some workload has strict deadlines to meet, and the rest of the work is "filler" work that has to eventually get done, but no strict deadline. After 4 hours, I'm ready to take a break.

On my lunch hour, I walk to the gymasium and take an exercise class (different type of class every day), and I really look forward to this. After the workout, I'm back at my desk feeling refreshed and ready to concentrate. I pay tuitions, hire students, process visas, finish travel reimbursements, meet with a faculty member about their accounts, or do accounting work on the grants. When my day ends at 5:00 pm, I have accomplished a lot.

I have learned a new computer system at U. Texas. I have learned the NSF-style / Fastlane proposal submissions and have done a lot of accounts reconciling, projecting in Excel how to spend down the grant funds before the end date, and tracked and closed grants at a zero balance.

One of the best parts of the job here are the coworkers who are very knowledgeable and helpful towards each other. I was trained by a coworker – more... for a year (when I started the job), and now I'm training a coworker who is new to the Institute. The administrators work as a big team. If one administrator is busy submitting a proposal and cannot manage the rest of their workload, then we help out by doing their travel reimbursements or other work until they can recover.

The hardest time at my job was when I was brand new and not very familiar with the U.T. computer software and accounting system. I simultaneously had a full workload and many people to support.

The most enjoyable part of the job has been the teamwork among all the administrators who are willing to answer questions when you're really stuck and give support when too much workload is occasionally happening. The supervisor of administrative staff will meet with a new administrator once a week. You can bring your work questions and get answers during the meeting, and you can continue with the training meetings for as long as you need help to get up and running fast. The Director of the Institute also takes all the administrators out for lunch several times a year. As well, he provides several lovely party events during the year for the entire Institute. – less
Good working environment
PART TIME LECTURER (Current Employee), Edinburg, TXJanuary 20, 2015
Enjoy working with students on a daily basis, faculty are helpful
Like working in a prison kitchen
Food Prep, Counter Server (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 16, 2015
WORST CO-WORKERS EVER!! And management refused to hold workers accountable.
Productive and friendly atmosphere. My bosses and colleagues are very forthcoming with sharing knowledge and skills.
Lecturer (Current Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: free hand to use my teaching technique and to experiment with it.
Cons: high number of students during the fall semesters
The best time of work and life is when I am in the classroom, helping and watching my students develop their linguistic skills.
I learnt how to motivate learning and how to keep those motivation levels high in an environment where Target Language is not used.
Colleagues and bosses are most supportive and very appreciative of my work.
The hardest part of the job can be to strike and maintain a balance among students with varying learning capabilities.
The most enjoyable part of the job is again interacting with students informally in the Target Language.
Great Networking opportunities
Board Member (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 10, 2015
Cons: long classes
Classes at the University of Texas at Austin helped me become a critical thinker, and prepared me to become a well rounded individual in the work field. As a studio art major, I was constantly involved in my own creative practice. These practices helped me strengthen my ability to think on my feet, and think on creative solutions to solve challenging problems.
fun place to work
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 7, 2015
 Assist in lab and field research on various pavement preservation techniques
 Study effectiveness of extraction of asphalt from old roofing asphalt shingles and determined properties of asphalt so obtained to establish future use
 Perform literature research on project of compressed earth soil improvement
 Determine optimum water content and polymer content in compressed earth soil by impact cracking of blocks
 Access water effect improvement of polymer on compressed earth soil
 Develop and determine method to evaluate strength of compressed earth soil
The work space was very comfortable
Temporary Assignment (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 5, 2015
The staff their was very helpful, they gave the information needed to accomplish the job. They showed much appreciation after completing the job. My co-worker was also very helpful when I needed assistance. I didn't find any difficulties with my temporary position. I was very excited about my job and I was never under any pressure.

1 2 3 4 5