University of Texas at Austin Employee Reviews in United States

Challenging and exciting workplace.
Research Assistant - seems appropriate. (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX - Love Austin!January 18, 2016
1) A typical day at work consisted primarily of training new instrument users on the SEM and EDS.
2) I learned many new applications of the SEM to solve a wide variety of research problems.
3) Management didn't do anything to support my efforts or reward my accomplishments. They were mostly absent from the scene.
4) I had no co-workers as such, but the users were largely a bright and well mannered group.
5) The hardest part of the job was dealing with the occasional inflated ego.
6) The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a user gain valuable insight into their research with the instrumentation.
Pros
Never a boring job! Always something new.
Cons
Only part-time (19 hours per week) therefore no benefits.
productive work atmosphere
sous chef (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 10, 2015
I am a chef at Jester Basement I over see a hot food production area were I feed 6000 for lunch and dinner. I over see day to day operations,purchasing,inventory. I manage a staff of 25 30 I also float around units on campus covering Chef manager positions as well manage the units needs. I have knowledge of HACCP program as well as dietary restrictions.

The most part I enjoy about my job is that I work Mon-Fri and off on the holidays. The thing that I least enjoy is that we get paid once month and its hard to advance to upper management. The most challenging part of my job is having a recipe system that is not very accurate.
Pros
free lunch and parking
Cons
health benefits and paid vacation mon-fri if possible
a nice university to spend life on
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 31, 2016
good work life balance, compensation is fair, and the culture is attractive. For people like big city life, this might not be the place to go.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Can't Beat State Benefits-But Hostile Workplace
Telecommunications Operator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 7, 2016
Upon arrival, I saw that there were only three minorities out of the 80 or so personnel there. You MUST fit in or you will be treated with hostility. Too much profanity, inappropriate joking, i.e., racists comments. You are expected to overlook blatant ethic violations. If you report a legitimate act of discrimination, you will be looking for another job!
Pros
State Benefits
Cons
White Only, closed-knit, cliques, hostile
Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 4, 2016
Benefits are great.
Training is always available and offered.
Management is great.
Employee moral is great.
Pay could be better.
Excellent co-workers/Poor management and no raises
Middle Management (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 22, 2015
I worked over in the College of Natural Sciences. I did enjoy my co-workers and the humane attitude CNS took to taking time off and having a flexible schedule. I also had a great deal of autonomy in my position.

Poor management. Poor communication from management. Current dean was brought in to bring budget back in to shape after years of over-spending. There has been a mandate for hiring and pay freezes although people were still being hired and I heard of a few raises being handed out (I received one), but there are just as many people being laid off. Management has stated people should just enjoy working at UT and not worry about getting raises. I would strongly take this into account when weighing a CNS job. I hear other colleges at UT are managed better.

However, there are larger problems of mysterious accounting at UT as the public narration is the university is just making ends meet, but behind the scenes UT is making lots of money hand over fist. It seems UT is wanting to funnel this money into other areas other than rewarding their work force.
Pros
Co-workers, flexible work schedule, autonomy
Cons
No raises, poor management communication which led to poor morale
Great
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXFebruary 16, 2016
Great place to work at you are to go to school and work with them. Would dod it again if they increase payand get better benefits, people were great they would work with you in schedule
Good Job Security
Senior program coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 17, 2015
UT is a fast paced environment. Where job culture and community are essential to thrive. Most people enjoy their work and like to be included in everyday tasks. I recommend people to work here for the benefits alone are fantastic.
Pros
Time off during Christmas
Cons
Tons of work
Health benefits
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 28, 2015
no job advancement, no room to grow, dept manager was always out leaving employees and coordinator to make management decisions, then manager would disagree with decisions that were made while she was out of the office. Dept manager was out so much then was on social media and employees could see where she was at when she wasn't on vacation. Poor management.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
No job advancement, turn around is very high, working hours were never consistent, poor management
Lots of pros and cons
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 27, 2015
Great colleagues and very good and flexible work environment; however little room for advancement/additional compensation and very big bureaucracy
Pros
Great Benefits, flexible work environment
Cons
little room for advancement
Demanding
Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Austin, TexasAugust 4, 2015
The University of Texas is a very demanding place to work, especially for the lack of compensation one gets. I have met a lot of nice people working here and the atmosphere is by far not the worst that I have been in. However, I think the amount of work that is asked of us and the amount that we get paid is very lopsided. Do not expect to get raises or bonuses here, because that is rare.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful, lack of compensation, no PTO.
What starts here does change the world and your life...
Senior Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 14, 2016
One of the largest employers in Austin and rewarding careers. My position at UT Austin was one of the most enjoyable times of my life. The diverse culture, energetic campus and eager students make it easy to come to work. During my time, growth internally and between departments seemed strong and rewarding for many. I would highly recommend being part of the university team if you are lucky to be selected.
Flexible job schedule and great work environment
Student Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 13, 2016
Management is comprehensive and flexible hours to work. It is a great work environment with supportive coworkers. Everyone shows great customer service skills when helping people who come to game days. We care for the overall experience of the people coming to the events and will be of service on any possible way. The boss is really supportive, energetic, and understanding towards the employees, and will look out for them. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people and seeing that this job is worth it because you bring them happiness and comfort. The hardest part of the job is to handle a difficult problem that comes across when you do not have the answer to the question but I have learned to figure it out and come up with solutions.
Pros
Encouraging environment, the boss is open to hear the opinions of others
Cons
Time varies with events available
Great University
French Tutor, Tutor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 1, 2016
I enjoyed lab very much. Gave me a passion for the sciences and data analysis
• Cultured bacteriophages and bacterium in order to analyzed genetic mutations within bacteriophages
• Perform statistical analysis and develop methods to clean and sequence DNA
• Presented research, posters, oral presentations, laboratory techniques, research reviews, and data/results on a national and international level on weekly basis
• Worked with team of undergraduates to develop strain of bacteriophages that targeted various types of bacterium
Fun school to attend with a lot of work to have me prepared for the future job
Senior Design Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXMarch 1, 2016
The school promoted a proper learning environment with so much flexibility to adjust the pressure. Projects assigned by professors were similar or resembling real life work environment challenges. There was great team work in the assigned project with classmates as well as professors. The hardest part of the job was to break down new concepts that were incorporated in the projects, and the most enjoyable part of the projects we did was coming out with the most effective solution to the problems presented in the projects.
Pros
very good learning environment, good rapport between students and instructors
Cons
computers froze most of the time we were working on the projects
Excellent workplace if you love to learn.
Research Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 19, 2015
The Separation Research Program at the J.J. Pickle Research Campus was a fantastic place to work. A very small group of highly intelligent and resourceful people, the SRP team produces work and research data of the highest caliber.
Pros
Highly intelligent and personable staff, workplace culture the best I've ever seen, mentally engaging work and overall atmosphere.
Cons
No employee benefits unless an appointed staff member (PHD, etc.) Limited advancement opportunity.
Enlightening and worth while experience.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 20, 2015
A typical day at work involved the setting up of surveys pertaining to the study. Each session involved some level of interaction with participants that was casual yet maintained a professional climate. This job helped me learn about data entry as well as coordinated time management with both participants and colleagues using the same facilities. My co-workers were very kind, and accommodating without a diminished quality to our overall research success.
Pros
Plenty of breaks between trials.
Cons
Many gaps in time in which there was not too much to accomplish without participants.
Developed skills that I will have for the rest of my life that can be transferred to everyday socializing to computer multitasking.
Computer Lab Aide (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, TXDecember 22, 2015
I developed interpersonal skills in a professional environment which allowed me to grow my knowledge on computers and computer programs such as Photoshop, Microsoft Office, Final Cut Pro and so on. Management and employees were very nice and helped each other out as much as we could.
Pros
Very calm environment, worked around school schedule
Cons
Only allowed to work 19 hours a week
Productive and enjoy working in an international environment
postdoctoral (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 23, 2015
Working at The University of Texas at Austin is great specially for a project involving multidisciplinary research activities. I find this environment very exciting and encouraging for a growing individual with potential in the future that needs nurture and outlook for a future lead roles in a growing economy. Working in a large university gives me an opportunity to work with individuals from different parts of the world and get to know them and their social economical cultures.
Open door policy, lots of opportunities for advancement.
Clerk 1 Clerk 11 Clerk 111 (Former Employee) –  P.O.Box 7399 Austin, Texas 78713-7399May 8, 2016
A typical day at work would be hard to explain. I wore many hats during an eight hour shift,
The daily duties would rotate based on any given day of the monthly cycle.
The hardest part if the job was being able to see all the projects in a completed state.
Pros
A lot of artistic, entertainment, culture events
Cons
Unable to handle the growth of the work force.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Texas at Austin. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4