University of Texas at Austin Employee Reviews

UT is a great place to work
Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2017
Having worked for the University for the past decade, I can confirm that it is a great place to work and there is a lot of opportunity to learn and develop professionally. I am grateful for my time at UT.
Good benefits; poorly run
Assistant Instructor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 18, 2017
Everyone is generally very nice and the benefits are good, but other than that, I would not suggest working here if you are looking to be inspired about where you are working.
Pros
Benefits; Nice People
review
Secretary to the Dean of Undergraduate Business (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 18, 2017
great place to work, really enjoyed working there, enjoyed all the patients and employees, would highly recommend this employer to anyone seeking a job!
Productive, flexible workplace
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 17, 2017
I worked at UT as an undergraduate research assistant, so there was no pay. Hours I worked were pretty flexible, but may depend on who you work for. I learned a lot of skills that I will continue to use.
Lecturer, Department of Philosophy (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 15, 2017
I love the University of Texas at Austin. The people are wonderful, the campus is beautiful, and the health benefits are outstanding. I would recommend working at UT to anyone.
Great people to work with
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 15, 2017
I like working with my colleagues there. They are super helpful and nice. If you have problems, they are so willing to help you. Also, we get along well and hang out together.
Heavily Friend-Based
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 15, 2017
Multiple qualified people frequently get passed over for unqualified friends or associates. Low pay with no raise schedule on the horizon due to State budget constraints. However, the positives are very relaxed environment with decent insurance. Parking is a nightmare unless you make $100,000+
Pros
Free food at events, insurance packages, can move to other departments easily
Cons
Parking, political environment, incompetence in management positions across the university
Great place for student work/study
Advanced Academic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 7, 2017
Depending on how involved you want to be, there are many work-study jobs you can apply for with flexible hours. I had a great time as an Advanced Academic Assistant for the pharmacy students while I was in pharmacy school
Pros
shorter hours
Cons
no benefits such as healthcare
Very little room for advancement, Poor hourly for Austin and little to no training
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 7, 2017
Great place to work after you retire. The pays decades behind the cost of living in Austin. Almost all the equipment to be serviced is obsolete and all the good employees are looking to leave or already have. Management wants more for less and each year they dismantle your benefits. If you're sick, old or dying this is the place for you.
Pros
pension, 401 and healthcare. All of which are changing for the worse
Cons
Low wages, Obsolete equipment and Poor Leadership
Very productive workplace with constant learning
Editing Proctor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 2, 2017
After clocking in, a typical day begins with helping students answering questions about Adobe Premiere or Avid Media Composer (for the most part). Sometimes I would get questions about After Effects or Photoshop. In regards to Premiere or AVID, the questions usually ranged around the exporting/ importing options and what to specifically choose to achieve the best outcome when finalizing their video. Other times, questions ranged from every aspect of the program. If I did not know the answer to the question, I would sit with them and figure it out until I knew the answer. If I could not personally answer the question, I contacted my supervisor so they could come in and personally problem-solve the solution with us.

The hardest part of the job, but also the most enjoyable, would be finding out the answer to a student's question that I did not know at the given time. There have been plenty of instances in which a student ran into a very specific problem that I have never seen before, but I was able to sit with them and problem-solve the program until I figured out the solution. This also became the most rewarding part of the job as well.

After holding this position for quite some time, this job has easily become my favorite job I have had so far in life. Earlier jobs included many years serving at various restaurants, as well as cashier experience at retail stores. However, as an editing proctor, I have had so much fulfillment learning new ways to tackle Premiere or AVID and problem-solving new situations in these programs. This was an everyday instance.

As far as management
  more... goes, my supervisors were my favorite bosses that I have ever had. They were fun, easy to speak to, and were fantastic at helping me and other students when certain questions had gone to something near-impossible to answer. And for that, I thank them immeasurably because of the experience I was able to take away from that position. I will definitely miss this job when the summer ends, and hope to continue looking for a job as a full-time editor.  less
Pros
Amazing experience in AVID, Premiere, After Effects, and Photoshop
Cons
Cannot continue this job as a graduated student
Just passing through
Senior Student Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 1, 2017
I worked at UT when I was still completing my engineering degree. This was a good job for me since I needed study time along with work and it exposed me to some of the IT lifestyles.
Great Company
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 31, 2017
UT is a great company to work for. I would have loved to have retired from there, but due to some personal circumstances, I will not be able to do so.
Great School
Chair, Service Learning Committee (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 31, 2017
I loved going to school at the University of Texas at Austin and being in Austin, Texas. I miss it everyday. People in Austin are happier than anywhere else in Texas.
Productive and professional
Austin- Baker (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 25, 2017
I absolutely love my job! Everyone is constantly in a great mood and ready to work because this (culinary arts) is something we literally enjoy doing. I wouldn't change this job for another.
Pros
freedom, respect, good attitude, free lunch
Cons
walking
Ordinary Club
FOUNDER, Moja Tu Club (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 25, 2017
Ordinary college club environment. Was started for a great cause that still is flourishing today via Moja Tu (proper) - learned so much about a wonderful organization and got to work with some amazing people.
dedicated work environment encouraging hard work and caring
Student Support (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 25, 2017
As a place of work, UT was full of energy, compassion, and inclusion. The job culture encouraged productivity and progress while giving everybody the chance to contribute in their own capacity to the advancement of the program.
Ok
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 24, 2017
If you are in a position of staff the job opportunities and possibility for advancement directly correlate with the degrees you have. There are constraints placed upon UT by the State and Local Government that often hinder the progression needed to actually help students.
nice place
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 24, 2017
worked for a specific school. faxed, copied, scanned, items daily.
Ordered supplies. Took inventory, answered phones, took messages for supervisors.
Academia is stagnant and politicized.
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 23, 2017
There are some of the smartest kindest people I've met in my life at university, and also some of the cruelest. University is not managed well at all.
Fun Working Environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 21, 2017
Working the different merchandise stands is a very fun-filled experience that I enjoyed greatly. This environment was fun and fast paced. The people and management were excellent. Working here as a fundraiser for our theatre troop is definitely a place where I love working.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Texas at Austin. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3