University of Texas at Austin

University of Texas at Austin United States Employee Reviews

I received my education here. It's fantastic!
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 2, 2015
Being able to volunteer as a research assistant in the psychology lab at the university was amazing. I gained a lot from working there and was happy to lend my time to the project we were working on. The job was monotonous for the most part, typical data entry and phone call stuff but working directly with participants was the thing that kept me interested. Great place, great job.
Good place to be a graduate student
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 30, 2015
You can work on really interesting research projects, and adjust your work load according to the progress of your project. Co-workers are nice, smart, and respectful. I enjoy my PhD study at UT Austin. I feel I have greatly improved myself.
Productive and Instructive Place
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 29, 2015
This was a temporary, unpaid internship to gain valuable experience.
Great school
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 26, 2015
Definitely one of the best engineering schools in the country.
Student Associate (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 22, 2015
It was a great environment in a learning atmosphere. I learned a lot from all the positions I had, and there was ample room for advancement.
professional environment, teamwork among staff, pleasant work environment
Sr. Administrative Associate (Current Employee), Institute for Computational Engineering & SciencesJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: excellent faculty and committed supervisors, teamwork among administrators, well-run organization, really care about the students, pleasant work environment.
Cons: long commute, traffic congestion, only 8-5 workhours are allowed, low pay compared to west coast
Austin is a beautiful city to live in, and my job at U. Texas is in a brand new high-tech building. I arrive to work early and log-in by 8:00 am. I review my workload and decide what is priority to accomplish today. There a variety of tasks to do. I enjoy working with the faculty, post-docs, and graduate students. As I finish a project I check if off my electronic list. I log-in new projects in color-coded files and have a system to track and move the workflow through my desk until it's completed. I do different kinds of tasks on different days. Some workload has strict deadlines to meet, and the rest of the work is "filler" work that has to eventually get done, but no strict deadline. After 4 hours, I'm ready to take a break.

On my lunch hour, I walk to the gymasium and take an exercise class (different type of class every day), and I really look forward to this. After the workout, I'm back at my desk feeling refreshed and ready to concentrate. I pay tuitions, hire students, process visas, finish travel reimbursements, meet with a faculty member about their accounts, or do accounting work on the grants. When my day ends at 5:00 pm, I have accomplished a lot.

I have learned a new computer system at U. Texas. I have learned the NSF-style / Fastlane proposal submissions and have done a lot of accounts reconciling, projecting in Excel how to spend down the grant funds before the end date, and tracked and closed grants at a zero balance.

One of the best parts of the job here are the coworkers who are very knowledgeable and helpful towards each other. I was trained by a coworker – more... for a year (when I started the job), and now I'm training a coworker who is new to the Institute. The administrators work as a big team. If one administrator is busy submitting a proposal and cannot manage the rest of their workload, then we help out by doing their travel reimbursements or other work until they can recover.

The hardest time at my job was when I was brand new and not very familiar with the U.T. computer software and accounting system. I simultaneously had a full workload and many people to support.

The most enjoyable part of the job has been the teamwork among all the administrators who are willing to answer questions when you're really stuck and give support when too much workload is occasionally happening. The supervisor of administrative staff will meet with a new administrator once a week. You can bring your work questions and get answers during the meeting, and you can continue with the training meetings for as long as you need help to get up and running fast. The Director of the Institute also takes all the administrators out for lunch several times a year. As well, he provides several lovely party events during the year for the entire Institute. – less
Good working environment
PART TIME LECTURER (Current Employee), Edinburg, TXJanuary 20, 2015
Enjoy working with students on a daily basis, faculty are helpful
Like working in a prison kitchen
Food Prep, Counter Server (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 16, 2015
WORST CO-WORKERS EVER!! And management refused to hold workers accountable.
Productive and friendly atmosphere. My bosses and colleagues are very forthcoming with sharing knowledge and skills.
Lecturer (Current Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: free hand to use my teaching technique and to experiment with it.
Cons: high number of students during the fall semesters
The best time of work and life is when I am in the classroom, helping and watching my students develop their linguistic skills.
I learnt how to motivate learning and how to keep those motivation levels high in an environment where Target Language is not used.
Colleagues and bosses are most supportive and very appreciative of my work.
The hardest part of the job can be to strike and maintain a balance among students with varying learning capabilities.
The most enjoyable part of the job is again interacting with students informally in the Target Language.
Great Networking opportunities
Board Member (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 10, 2015
Cons: long classes
Classes at the University of Texas at Austin helped me become a critical thinker, and prepared me to become a well rounded individual in the work field. As a studio art major, I was constantly involved in my own creative practice. These practices helped me strengthen my ability to think on my feet, and think on creative solutions to solve challenging problems.
fun place to work
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 7, 2015
 Assist in lab and field research on various pavement preservation techniques
 Study effectiveness of extraction of asphalt from old roofing asphalt shingles and determined properties of asphalt so obtained to establish future use
 Perform literature research on project of compressed earth soil improvement
 Determine optimum water content and polymer content in compressed earth soil by impact cracking of blocks
 Access water effect improvement of polymer on compressed earth soil
 Develop and determine method to evaluate strength of compressed earth soil
The work space was very comfortable
Temporary Assignment (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 5, 2015
The staff their was very helpful, they gave the information needed to accomplish the job. They showed much appreciation after completing the job. My co-worker was also very helpful when I needed assistance. I didn't find any difficulties with my temporary position. I was very excited about my job and I was never under any pressure.
Serious reseach with occasional fun
Research Engineering Scientist Associate (Current Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 2, 2015
Flexible work hours
Friendly work environment
Good benefits
Long work hours with high stress level like any other research laboratory
fun and interactive job
Camp Office Manager (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKDecember 17, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: being away from home
a typical day was checking in the campers and doing things for the camp like copies and errands. I loved my coworkers I had known them forever.
nice place to work at
Skills Lab Teaching assistant (Former Employee), Austin, TXDecember 11, 2014
everyone is nice to teaching assistants since we do a lot of the work at the skills and simulation lab
Productive and Eye Opening
Outdoor Equipment Manager (Former Employee), Austin, TXDecember 8, 2014
Overall great place to work! Definitely opened my eyes to a whole world of outdoor activities and the equipment required to enjoy them. A typical day at work included opening the register and front retail space, cleaning rental equipment that did not get cleaned the shift before, and handling all rental agreements for each customer. My co-workers were easy to work with and quickly became a work family. The most difficult part of this job was stepping out of my comfort zone and participating in a field I never very little about.
Great benefits, institutioinal setting
Sous Chef, Display Line (Current Employee), Austin, TXDecember 1, 2014
Working in DHFS provides great benefits within an institutional setting. I recommend this job to any chef that needs stability.
A solid place of employment where one can explore many carreer paths within the academic community
Administrative Associate of Finance (Current Employee), Austin, TXNovember 25, 2014
Pros: great staff benefits
Cons: bullying environment
I was privileged to work with faculty, staff, students, and guests of The University from various backgrounds, races, creeds, colors and orientations to support and assistant in furthering their education, academic career, research and areas of study while fostering a culture of community, activism and raising a conscious awareness of our cultural differences that make us unique and creative.
good place to learn and work.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Austin, TXNovember 16, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: too many things to manage.
All I can say is that it is an amazing place to work and learn.

All the coworkers are helpful and its interesting experience to know their work .
Educational
Subiendo (Former Employee), Austin, TXNovember 11, 2014
This was a 5 day leadership program that tasked us with solving real-world problems along-side today's prestigious names in business and law.

University of Texas at Austin Salaries

$11.60 per hour
IT Manager
$80,000 per year

University of Texas at Austin Photos

This is the main building at the University of Texas.
Interstate 35 can been seen in the background.
Great class