University of Texas at Austin Employee Reviews

Worthwhile experience
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 6, 2017
I was an undergraduate assistant in the department of pharmacy under a work study award. This was not salary based. I assisted in maintaining the lab and running tests with my advisor. It was a fun experience
Productive agency
Research Assistant/Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 2, 2017
Worked on a grant that dealt with health care. Very productive, this grant was between the USA and China on heart disease. We used to different classes of races to gather our information. we where able to use blood, blood pressure maturation and height and weight. Our study was completed in 5 years.
Pros
Great incentives for the kids
Cons
none noted
Highly regarded educational institution.
Visiting Scholar (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 31, 2016
My association with the University of Texas, Austin was limited to service as independent contractor and guest lecturer.

My engagement was per an annual offer and contract.
great time
Graduate Research & Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXDecember 26, 2016
working hard, almost all time studying and working wit those people that not only are expertise in their field but only are the unique leathers.
Acceptable for beginner lifeguards, however no competetive pay
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 24, 2016
Since the new coordinator came in, schedules are messy. Not informative ahead of time. Management get the job done, but could do a better job with informing the subordinates as we are kept in the dark until the surprise hits. Pay is not competitive; pools nearby provide better pay for beginner guards than the Texas Swim Center does for their head guards. Leading to a continual shortage of guards.
Job isn't terrible; 99% of pool attendants are skilled swimmers so worrying about incidents is minimal at best. When not watching the pool, we do rounds to make sure the facility is in working order. Earliest shifts possible start at 4:45am and the latest the pool is open is 10:00pm.
During swim meets we typically get free food and they are top notch.
Pros
Free food during meets, little stress, works around your schedule
Cons
pay is less than adequate, unreliable communication with higher ups
productive fun working environment.
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 23, 2016
The university has wonderful professors and staffed with great and interesting people. The most enjoyable part of my job was the ability to watch students grow. The environment is very conducive in allowing for students and faculty alike to feel comfortable in their own skin
Life is easy, living cost low
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 18, 2016
The microelectronic research center in the University of Texas at Austin is a very good research center. You can learn a lot of hands-on semiconductor fabrication experience here. Staff here is very nice.
Work culture is very flexible and comfortable.
Brought in to teach in a graduate level Embedded Systems program
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 15, 2016
Does not Apply since this i was delivering information which students required to fulfill their academic obligations
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 14, 2016
I loved my work at UT Austin. The culture here pushes you and empowers creative thinking. The faculty is very supportive and helpful. The jobs here are great for giving unique exposure in any field you pursue.
Pros
Flexible hours, positive work culture
Cons
Little benefits for students
Great support system
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 9, 2016
During my tenure at the University of Texas at Austin, I experienced some of the best experiences of my life. My staff was very supportive and ensured I felt comfortable at work.
Great place of learning, not so great at managing and fostering the growth of its staff
Administrative Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 5, 2016
Faculty and students are tops here. Staff often get overlooked and stepped on. The mission to teach and enlighten the minds of its students can sometimes get lost in the shuffle of trying to earn more revenue as the state continues to decrease its financial support of the institution.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
Management varies wildly by area
Teaching Arabic
Arabic Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 2, 2016
I love my job and I have a passion for it. I have obtained tremendous experiences with great faculty members. I am currently teaching Arabic third-year/ intermediate level.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Not applicable
One of the best departments at UT-Austin
Director of Industrial Liaison & Special Projects (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 23, 2016
BME has the smartest students on campus. The research topics are promising and futuristic. I loved the opportunity to bridge research labs to my national and international industrial contacts, i.e. Johnson & Johnson, St. Jude Medical, Medtronic, Freescale and so many more. I prepared students for interview and shared my expanded work experience with them. Unfortunately, the industrial liaison program was quickly eliminated due to budget cut. I am proud to see my students today in high positions at Smith & Nephew, St. Jude Medical and other top 100 medical device companies, because prior to my arrival only small start ups in Austin were hiring BME students.
Pros
Quality work/family time
Great Job
Advising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 21, 2016
Everyone is very welcoming and warm. they take their time to train you. Fun environment, easy jobi would still be working there if I didn't move out of the state. great benefits, great cooworkers.
Stimulating and challenging environment
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 19, 2016
The environment offers opportunities and challenges but is often dependent upon availability of funding. A typical day involves application of your research skills and collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
Pros
Opportunity for continuing education
Cons
work/life balance
A great place to pursue PhD study
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 18, 2016
I got great training during my study at UT Austin. My supervisor emphasized hands-on experience. A student in the lab will not only work on academic projects, he/she will also need to participate in designing and building scientific instrument. It is very tough, but very worthy. Students will have a full spectrum of know-how process in the development of research methods/techniques.
Chaotic Environment
Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 15, 2016
Management constantly ignored rules to make things faster which ended up hindering the process. Management changed 3 times in less than a year. No room for advancement as most jobs have no upper levels.
Terrible place
Director of Laboratories; Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 6, 2016
The compensation is good, but the job security is not as good as it claimed to be. High level administrator randomly eliminate a position without even consulting the supervisor of the position holder.
Great student job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 6, 2016
Duties mainly included:
-Holding office hours to help with lecture material and assignments
-Attending lectures
-Grading quizzes, homework, and exams
Pros
Good work-school balance. Location.
Cons
Grading can be cumbersome
Fulfilling and meaningful work experience
PTS, Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TX 78705November 4, 2016
I arrived to work with a flexible schedule with employer who was very understanding with my personal and school life as a student. I learned to maintain and record recycling projects, inventory and kept track of email accounts, as well as communicating to other department and staff members. The job was not difficult, just fulfilling and meaningful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Texas at Austin. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4