University of Texas at Austin Employee Reviews

Great Experience
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 7, 2017
Learning environment and great university.
Nice city. Great resources. Most attractive campus in the area. Possibilities for growth.
Great student job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 6, 2016
Duties mainly included:
-Holding office hours to help with lecture material and assignments
-Attending lectures
-Grading quizzes, homework, and exams
Pros
Good work-school balance. Location.
Cons
Grading can be cumbersome
Nice place to work, people and students very nice
Maintenance Technician / Shop Foreman (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 25, 2016
this was a very nice place to work! Building Maintenance was not difficult. Mostly working on kitchen equipment. Worked well with supervisor
Pros
close to to
Cons
slow
Cooperative colleagues, good work environment, good benefits
Assistant Instructor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 30, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of several hours of outside-classroom lesson planning before teaching a 2 hour class, 3 days a week. Outside of class, I was required to hold 3 hours of office hours, and spend several hours grading student work. My co-workers were fellow graduate students, and we had a cooperative work environment where we shared quizzes and teaching strategies. The most difficult part of the job was the work/life balance-- assistant instructors are paid for 20 hours of work, but the actual workload was much higher, closer to a 40 hour work week. The insurance benefits were the most worthwhile part of the job. Assistant instructors received full benefits, partially covered by the employer.
Pros
insurance benefits
Cons
Flexible job schedule and great work environment
Student Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 13, 2016
Management is comprehensive and flexible hours to work. It is a great work environment with supportive coworkers. Everyone shows great customer service skills when helping people who come to game days. We care for the overall experience of the people coming to the events and will be of service on any possible way. The boss is really supportive, energetic, and understanding towards the employees, and will look out for them. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people and seeing that this job is worth it because you bring them happiness and comfort. The hardest part of the job is to handle a difficult problem that comes across when you do not have the answer to the question but I have learned to figure it out and come up with solutions.
Pros
Encouraging environment, the boss is open to hear the opinions of others
Cons
Time varies with events available
UT Dallas
Department Manager & Rhetoric Instructor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 21, 2016
Great place to work. Education is so free and allows you to help people to set and accomplish goals. It was nice to talk to the students (of all ages) and hear their hearts and to hear how they planned to make the world a better place through their newly found education.
Fun student job, great culture
Student Technology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 3, 2016
I loved working for the university, and the student team I was part of was a lot of fun. We were paid fairly well for an on-campus job, and our management was supportive, helpful, and friendly.
Excellent workplace if you love to learn.
Research Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 19, 2015
The Separation Research Program at the J.J. Pickle Research Campus was a fantastic place to work. A very small group of highly intelligent and resourceful people, the SRP team produces work and research data of the highest caliber.
Pros
Highly intelligent and personable staff, workplace culture the best I've ever seen, mentally engaging work and overall atmosphere.
Cons
No employee benefits unless an appointed staff member (PHD, etc.) Limited advancement opportunity.
Great social environment that will train you
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 18, 2012
The Software Developer Training Program at UT takes people with logical aptitude but no experience with software development and trains them to be software developers. This means that coworkers tend to come from a variety of backgrounds, which I consider a big plus. The social environment here is fantastic. I moved to Austin knowing virtually nobody, but now have a social network of dozens thanks primarily to working here.
My direct managers here were about as good as managers come. However, sometimes the management higher up seems detached from what is going on at the ground level.
My only complaints with UT deal with the excessive levels of bureaucracy and the fairly low salaries compared to the private industry.
Pros
excellent benefits and retirement, work with great people
Cons
pay low compared to industry, subject to legislative mandates, lots of bureaucracy
Great workplace atmosphere
Registered Dietitian Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 31, 2016
I had a wonderful experience at the University of Texas. The employees and managers all treated you with respect. The atmosphere was very relaxed, but encouraged all employees to grow within their on sphere.
Pros
Great working atmosphere and employees
Cons
No free lunches.

Want to know more about University of Texas at Austin?

Ask a question
Excellent GRA positions
Austin, Summer Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 12, 2016
I worked as a summer GRA at the School of Information for a single professor. Typical academic work including writing/editing a lit review, research etc.
Demanding
Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Austin, TexasAugust 4, 2015
The University of Texas is a very demanding place to work, especially for the lack of compensation one gets. I have met a lot of nice people working here and the atmosphere is by far not the worst that I have been in. However, I think the amount of work that is asked of us and the amount that we get paid is very lopsided. Do not expect to get raises or bonuses here, because that is rare.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful, lack of compensation, no PTO.
The university provides ample research opportunities and a hub of Research
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 29, 2016
I work as a Graduate Research Assistant in the Civil Engineering Department. I find that this is a great platform to perform research and gather knowledge in field related to Construction Productivity.
A solid place of employment where one can explore many carreer paths within the academic community
Administrative Associate of Finance (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 25, 2014
I was privileged to work with faculty, staff, students, and guests of The University from various backgrounds, races, creeds, colors and orientations to support and assistant in furthering their education, academic career, research and areas of study while fostering a culture of community, activism and raising a conscious awareness of our cultural differences that make us unique and creative.
Pros
great staff benefits
Cons
bullying environment
A good place to work, very good experience
Business Intelligence Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 23, 2016
I had a meaningful summer here. Learned a lot of skills and met a many interesting people here. It is actually a good place to work and learn.
Pros
Plenty of time to learn, never push you.
Cons
Start to work at 8 am everyday, which is a little bit hard for me.
Student Worker
Research Assistant/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 12, 2016
I worked with the chemistry department for the chairman's office assisting in all tasks necessary. The people in the department were all very kind, helpful, and understanding toward my schedule as a student.
Texas Student Media Need New Management
Advertising Account Executive, Texas Student Media (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2016
Texas Student Media is a great place to get experience working in advertising sales. The management and commission plan need to change in order to be up to par of the Moody College and UT.
Pros
Experience
Cons
lousy commission plan and Management
Changing culture
Transcript Evaluator II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 27, 2016
The culture devolved. high stress, hear more about failures than successes. High stress and I end up in tears at night. It started out positive, but something changed along the way. I can't pin point it.
Great environment
Social Work Intern at Nix Behavioral Health (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 17, 2016
I am reviewing this as a visitor. I was a student at UTSA not Austin. I am unsure on why this site is asking me to review places that I have not worked or participated in. Keeping in mind that, the results would be skewed.
Pros
reputation
Cons
to far from my home
Lots of pros and cons
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 27, 2015
Great colleagues and very good and flexible work environment; however little room for advancement/additional compensation and very big bureaucracy
Pros
Great Benefits, flexible work environment
Cons
little room for advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Texas at Austin. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4