University of Texas at Austin Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent co-workers/Poor management and no raises
Middle Management (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 22, 2015
I worked over in the College of Natural Sciences. I did enjoy my co-workers and the humane attitude CNS took to taking time off and having a flexible schedule. I also had a great deal of autonomy in my position.

Poor management. Poor communication from management. Current dean was brought in to bring budget back in to shape after years of over-spending. There has been a mandate for hiring and pay freezes although people were still being hired and I heard of a few raises being handed out (I received one), but there are just as many people being laid off. Management has stated people should just enjoy working at UT and not worry about getting raises. I would strongly take this into account when weighing a CNS job. I hear other colleges at UT are managed better.

However, there are larger problems of mysterious accounting at UT as the public narration is the university is just making ends meet, but behind the scenes UT is making lots of money hand over fist. It seems UT is wanting to funnel this money into other areas other than rewarding their work force.
Pros
Co-workers, flexible work schedule, autonomy
Cons
No raises, poor management communication which led to poor morale
Research is what you make of it
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Center for Aeromechanics ResearchOctober 21, 2015
You can spend 18 hours a day researching or none at all. In the end the amount of effort you put in will determine the results obtained.
Pros
open work schedule
Cons
tight deadlines
Not a productive place to work
Automotive Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 19, 2015
Management would not address problems with certain employee's. It was easier to just ignore the problem employee's and make the good employee's work harder.
Exciting Research position
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 19, 2015
My research position was different from other lab positions because I was working with data instead of cleaning and running mind numbing experiments.
Sr. Student Consultant, ITS Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 15, 2015
Life at the ITS help desk is fantastic for students. A great flexible balance between school and work. Highly recommend this position for any students interested in IT work on the side.
Detail oriented
administrative associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 5, 2015
data entry of correspondence; handled highly confidential documents and information; record management; support supervisor and executive assistants; shared in meeting set ups; calendar scheduling; back up to receptionist; consistent and continuous work
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 1, 2015
Working for the University of Texas in Austin, at the Student Union accounting department, was a great experience!!! I really enjoyed the interaction with the students and organizations. I also enjoyed and learned about mentoring.
Excellent place to work and learn about how a research reactor works.
Project Manager/Reactor Operator Trainee (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 28, 2015
Great group of co-workers and managers. Allowed to put education first as an undergraduate research assistant and reactor operator trainee. Flexible with school and schedule related to post-graduation.
Lots of pros and cons
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 27, 2015
Great colleagues and very good and flexible work environment; however little room for advancement/additional compensation and very big bureaucracy
Pros
Great Benefits, flexible work environment
Cons
little room for advancement
Productive fun workplace to learn about martial arts
Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 21, 2015
Fun workplace with great instructors, students, and supportive parents. Everyone comes here to work hard and become great
Office Manager/Certified Coding Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 16, 2015
A typical day is multitasking. The most important thing I've learned while working at UT is that all of your skills from past jobs will be utilized.
Love it
Senior Student Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 12, 2015
Just pure amazing. Loved every bit of my stay here. Coworker are amazing and helpful. Supervisor and manager always wanted to see you grow.
Pros
awesome
Great Place to work
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 12, 2015
I love working here! Great opportunities! This has been such a great opportunity. Everone is willing to help you learn and grow
Pros
Classes
Cons
not enough room for advancement
UT Facilities outsourcing status
Maintenance Technician - Facilities Service's Dept (Former Employee) –  Manitou Springs, COSeptember 9, 2015
I work at UT for just under 5 years until the work load outsourcing company came in and disrupted the well managed ,upbeat , work process procedures that made this great institution a well oiled team innovated organization in the Facilities Maintenance Department most every one enjoyed working at the University of Texas until the outsourcing process came into play.
Pros
i enjoy working around Faculty and students
Cons
micro management to strong
UT is great.
Operations Assistant, Via Hope (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 25, 2015
It was just due to my program, now non-profit , being acquired by UT. Not much else to say. I was not in the culture long enough. And, to be honest, it felt just more like I was employed by my program versus UT.
It is an "Okay" place to work
Biology Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX 78712August 21, 2015
It is a very large university. You will meet many different people. You need to learn to deal with different cultures. The university facilities are good.
Great environment for a starting job
Group Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Gregory GymAugust 16, 2015
My typical day included teaching a one hour class motivating others and getting them to their highest fitness potentials. I learned how to effectively lead a group fitness class. Everything about this job was great!
UT - Austin
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasAugust 14, 2015
The University of Texas at Austin is an amazing place to work and study. The university has seemingly unlimited resources to support the efforts of the faculty, staff and students. The greatest challenge is being there long enough to learn about all the resources. Many of the staff have been there for more than 20 years!
Pros
Great work environment!
Cons
The students come and go...
research
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 11, 2015
very flexible work hours.
fun people to work with.
management was nice.
hardest part of the job was getting the projects to go.
Demanding
Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Austin, TexasAugust 4, 2015
The University of Texas is a very demanding place to work, especially for the lack of compensation one gets. I have met a lot of nice people working here and the atmosphere is by far not the worst that I have been in. However, I think the amount of work that is asked of us and the amount that we get paid is very lopsided. Do not expect to get raises or bonuses here, because that is rare.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful, lack of compensation, no PTO.

4.4