University of Texas at Austin

University of Texas at Austin Employer Reviews

A center for academic success
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 29, 2013
This University is focused on challenging students to be the best they can be.
Professional yet friendly environment for practical R&D
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 23, 2013
Days were spent either in the lab, performing hands on research, or in the office, writing and reviewing
Great facilities
Student Intern (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 21, 2013
Pros: great facilities, nice work environment
Cons: low salary
I worked for the Undergraduate Summer Internship in Transportation sponsored by the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Texas in Austin. Great facilities and work environment.
A great place to work with great people
Lab Technician Service Supervisor II (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 20, 2013
Pros: great hours, great people, great environment, great benefits
Cons: advancement, pay
I love working at the University of Texas at Austin. I have worked here all my professional life and have had the pleasure of working with some of the best and brightest.
The absolute worst place imaginable
Multiple positions (Former Employee), TXAugust 12, 2013
The bureaucracy at UT Austin is worse and more mean spirited that in the Federal Republic of Germany, and the Krauts invented bureaucracy. There is absolutely no life to work balance at UT unless you are one of those bureaucrats. For professors, grad students, research assistants, etc, you are expected to put in 90+ hours a week for pay that, in the – more... case of grad students, is well below the cost of living in Austin. The 'publish or parish' mantra is worse at UT than at other R1 institutions - so much so that it is often the only way to insulate oneself from the bureaucracy. Grad students and undergrads end up paying the highest cost for this system. If you are anything short of a full professor already and are being offered a job at that level, stay away from UT. Assistant and assoc professors be warned. Grad students - STAY AWAY! – less
Good academic institution
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 8, 2013
I worked happily with my supervisor on various real-world problems.
Fun working environment, excellent Coaching Staff
Teacher Assistant-Volleyball (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 2, 2013
The coach I assisted provided excellent guidelines and preparation to help me attain the proper skills and experience I would need in a coaching career field.

I had a great time coaching and teaching the students. They were a fun group and very willing to learn.
Tutoring the students
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 1, 2013
Tutoring the students in all their classes. I learned various ways to teach students and how they each learn a different way. Toughest part of the job was when students had a more difficult time learning the material and I had exhausted all tutoring techniques. Most enjoyable was seeing the students be really successful in their classrooms.
Never again!
Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 29, 2013
Pros: employee perks (discount programs, education)
Cons: poorly run team with awful management
My time at UT Austin was the worst experience in my job history. Management in the department was awful - they were poorly trained and lacked basic managerial skills, took office gossip as the truth and did not have the students best interest in mind when making decisions. I saw a number of instances where profits were placed well above students.

The – more... management were emotional, disrespectful and unprofessional.

The pay was low. The benefits were decent but not worth the trouble. – less
The Houston training center is a fun place to work!
Office worker (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 22, 2013
Pros: fun place to work.
Cons: low salary.
Great, creative, and fun place to work. Great benefits. It is a great work environment. Flexible schedules.
Great workplace
Assistant Instructor (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 22, 2013
Its a great place to work. Responsibilities are clear and expectations are reasonable.
Fun and friendly
Student worker (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 19, 2013
Pros: just a nice place
Cons: ended when i graduated
great place to work at when attending school. My boss was nice and I enjoyed the other people that I worked with. I was able to do homework when it wasn't busy and my work load there was never crazy.
Professional and Productive with minimal supervison
Research Engineer (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJuly 17, 2013
Engaged in various testing with many apparatuses usually constructed by the team. Most results are kept confidential.
Great experience
Optimizing the Mobile Web Browsing Experience (Current Employee), Austin, TXJuly 13, 2013
Learn and discuss with teammates to understand how to develop software tool to optimize mobile websites
Productive and Professional Workplace
Athletics Risk Management & Compliance Servies (Current Employee), Austin, TXJuly 9, 2013
Pros: good salary & state benefits
Cons: lack of parking
Very professional atmosphere, focus on staff training and creating a comfortable work environment.
R&D in Optical MEMS and Biomedical Instrumentation
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Austin, TXJuly 7, 2013
R&D in Optical MEMS and Biomedical Instrumentation, performed research on:

• Handheld confocal imaging probe for oral cancer detection
− Enabled by a dual-axis silicon electrostatic MEMS micromirror, developed a miniaturized handheld confocal imaging probe for oral cancer detection. Probe body designed with CodeV optical simulations and Solidworks – more... CAD simulation. A Java and LabVIEW based software kit were developed with real-time medical image processing algorithms. Clinical trials on neoplastic lesion tissues were performed in University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio (UTHSC).

• Non-silicon micromirror based handheld hyperspectral fluorescence imaging for oral cancer detection
− Explored non-silicon materials such as stainless steel and nickel with various fabrication techniques such as electrical discharge machining and electroplating for electromagnetically driven MEMS micromirror design. Micromirror structure designed & FEA analyzed with COMSOL. Imaging probe with micro-actuation assembly developed for fluorescence imaging of early epithilial cancer. – less
Teaching/Research Assistant
Research/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 2, 2013
Best accounting program in US. What more can I say?

I worked as a teaching/research assistant so my review is based on my personal experience.

I learned a lot by teaching others... it sounds awkward but if you do go to UT please work as a teaching/research assistant...it not only helps you teach others, but it allows you to manage your time efficiently.
Working at UT
Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Austin, TXJuly 1, 2013
Pros: felxibility
Flexible place to work. Great programs. I've learned allot and applied my abilities to meet goals. I've created great relationship with my co-workers. The best part is that each day is full of different challenges.
Very smart people
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Austin, TXJune 28, 2013
Organized, nice work environment, great curiosity. Like this university.
Graduate Research (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJune 27, 2013
As a graduate researcher, most of the day is spend in analyzing and testing scientific problems related to the research area