University of Texas at Austin

University of Texas at Austin Employer Reviews

Work-study position with lax atmosphere
Receptionist (Former Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: got to study, meet new people, easy to get shifts covered
Cons: employer change makes a difference
When I first got hired, I got hired as a filler receptionist, which meant I filled in the rest of the hours that were needed. That consisted of 17 hours a week in addition to the job I currently worked at Chili's and being a full-time student. Being a receptionist at the Sanger Learning Center meant clocking in students with numbered pins to either – more... Math, Physics, or Chemistry tutoring. We helped out with printing out hand-outs, running errands to other buildings, or projects that were assigned by our boss. I became more familiar with Word and Excel and commercial printers. It was a nice job to have and my co-workers were other students with the same goal in mind: getting work done in a timely manner. The hardest part of the job really was just getting studying in because clocking students in could entail in reading the same paragraph for a while. The best part of the job really were the people. Creating good healthy relationships is always rewarding. – less
Enjoyed my time working here
Intern - Department of Accounting (Former Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 16, 2013
Really enjoyed working here. Was given lots of opportunities to learn and gain responsibility. Didn't enjoy the sheer number of employees, but that can't be avoided at a huge university.
Productive environment
Organizing Intern from June until present (Current Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: access to database, some discounts on university shows
The work entails going to the office of a professor and compile the research of the professor in a way that can be later accessed. This might be done through hyperlinks to an electronic source or scanning and saving it as a pdf. Also each file needs to be saved in a manner that makes it easily accessible. The hardest part of the job is finding missing – more... parts of documents by researching them. This job requires to think of new ways to save important data such as notes and photos so that they relate to a subject or matter to what the professor wishes. Coworkers are friendly and helpful. – less
Great academic culture
Imperial Barrel Award, 1st place (Former Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 8, 2013
Pros: interesting culture
Cons: interesting culture
Lots of opportunities for work while you study (research assistantships or teaching assistantships). My research was impactful in the scientific community.
Good family conducive environment
Graduate/Teaching Assistant (UTPA) (Former Employee), Edinburg, TXSeptember 6, 2013
This is a review for the University of Texas - Pan American (UTPA). The environment itself is not too culturally diverse and it takes a while to get acclimated to the environment; however, it is a great environment for families once getting settled into the atmosphere of the Rio Grande Valley.
good place
Learning Specialist (Former Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 4, 2013
they offer good training for managers, but is so large you can feel isolated.
Productive and fun work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 3, 2013
While I was turning my computers on I would find out how my co-worker's previous days where, I would up date numbers and make sure everything was in order. I would then make a list of what need to done for that day. While I was working I would care on conversations with my boss and co-workers.
A center for academic success
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 29, 2013
This University is focused on challenging students to be the best they can be.
Professional yet friendly environment for practical R&D
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 23, 2013
Days were spent either in the lab, performing hands on research, or in the office, writing and reviewing
Great facilities
Student Intern (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 21, 2013
Pros: great facilities, nice work environment
Cons: low salary
I worked for the Undergraduate Summer Internship in Transportation sponsored by the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Texas in Austin. Great facilities and work environment.
A great place to work with great people
Lab Technician Service Supervisor II (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 20, 2013
Pros: great hours, great people, great environment, great benefits
Cons: advancement, pay
I love working at the University of Texas at Austin. I have worked here all my professional life and have had the pleasure of working with some of the best and brightest.
The absolute worst place imaginable
Multiple positions (Former Employee), TXAugust 12, 2013
The bureaucracy at UT Austin is worse and more mean spirited that in the Federal Republic of Germany, and the Krauts invented bureaucracy. There is absolutely no life to work balance at UT unless you are one of those bureaucrats. For professors, grad students, research assistants, etc, you are expected to put in 90+ hours a week for pay that, in the – more... case of grad students, is well below the cost of living in Austin. The 'publish or parish' mantra is worse at UT than at other R1 institutions - so much so that it is often the only way to insulate oneself from the bureaucracy. Grad students and undergrads end up paying the highest cost for this system. If you are anything short of a full professor already and are being offered a job at that level, stay away from UT. Assistant and assoc professors be warned. Grad students - STAY AWAY! – less
Good academic institution
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 8, 2013
I worked happily with my supervisor on various real-world problems.
Fun working environment, excellent Coaching Staff
Teacher Assistant-Volleyball (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 2, 2013
The coach I assisted provided excellent guidelines and preparation to help me attain the proper skills and experience I would need in a coaching career field.

I had a great time coaching and teaching the students. They were a fun group and very willing to learn.
Tutoring the students
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 1, 2013
Tutoring the students in all their classes. I learned various ways to teach students and how they each learn a different way. Toughest part of the job was when students had a more difficult time learning the material and I had exhausted all tutoring techniques. Most enjoyable was seeing the students be really successful in their classrooms.
Never again!
Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 29, 2013
Pros: employee perks (discount programs, education)
Cons: poorly run team with awful management
My time at UT Austin was the worst experience in my job history. Management in the department was awful - they were poorly trained and lacked basic managerial skills, took office gossip as the truth and did not have the students best interest in mind when making decisions. I saw a number of instances where profits were placed well above students.

The – more... management were emotional, disrespectful and unprofessional.

The pay was low. The benefits were decent but not worth the trouble. – less
The Houston training center is a fun place to work!
Office worker (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 22, 2013
Pros: fun place to work.
Cons: low salary.
Great, creative, and fun place to work. Great benefits. It is a great work environment. Flexible schedules.
Great workplace
Assistant Instructor (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 22, 2013
Its a great place to work. Responsibilities are clear and expectations are reasonable.
Fun and friendly
Student worker (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 19, 2013
Pros: just a nice place
Cons: ended when i graduated
great place to work at when attending school. My boss was nice and I enjoyed the other people that I worked with. I was able to do homework when it wasn't busy and my work load there was never crazy.
Professional and Productive with minimal supervison
Research Engineer (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJuly 17, 2013
Engaged in various testing with many apparatuses usually constructed by the team. Most results are kept confidential.