University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center

University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Employee Reviews

Clinical Informatics Specialist (Current Employee), Texas, MDFebruary 17, 2015
great place to work at. Was able to learn a lot of new things, and have been able to enjoy my co-workers. a typical day is filled with carrying out the tasks for the project at hand.
Productive and Fun
Sr. Research Data Coordinator (Current Employee), Texas, MDDecember 8, 2014
Pros: always busy
Cons: online training required
High volume with patients; multi tasking is necessary; working as a team player is also necessary. My most enjoyable part of my job is making the patients happy.
Great mission and job security
Research Assistant II (Current Employee), Texas, MDNovember 24, 2014
Pros: job security, benefits, time off, company goal
Cons: low salary, state run
Great mission and job security, not much advancement, low salaries, and bad state administration. Large separation between the people with actual power and regular jobs.
Nice place to work with good scientific community
Associate professor (Former Employee), Houston, TexasAugust 24, 2014
Nice place to work with good scientific community. I got promoted from a scientist position to a faculty position. Coworkers are very helpful and nice. I obtained my NIH RO1 grant in 2019 and got promoted to a associate professor position and led an independent research group for 3 years before I left for the University of Georgia.
busy clinic and inpatient service
Clinical Fellow (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 11, 2014
good teaching hospital, good clinical research. some bully form senior physicians.
Amazing!
Safety Technician (Current Employee), Smithville, TXMay 14, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
I simply cannot say enough good things about this company. The people are work with are very professional, very intelligent of course, and very easy going and respectful. My supervisor is one of the most respectful people I've ever met. He's always asking for my opinion or input on things, always giving me new training to do, new things to learn, and frequently gives me praise on my performance. Tons of training opportunities and room for advancement. Now I know Houston has more opportunities for advancement than where I am at, but I would choose the piece and quiet of Bastrop/Smithville any day over the horrible traffic in Houston.
Safety is my life
Safety Technician (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 23, 2014
Pros: there are a lot of things i can help people with as far as safety at work
Cons: theres no room to grow at my current workplace
As a fire fighter serving in the United States Air Force for the past 10 years, serving the public and protecting people, property, and the environment becoming a safety inspector was the only choice for me after I retired. A safety inspector is a professional who examines and inspects products, goods, structures or environments in order to protect the public. Safety inspectors generally make sure that workplaces and structures are in good condition.
Productive and fun place to work
Inventory Support Assistant (Current Employee), Texas, MDFebruary 19, 2014
There is always something going on.
Management is great and awesome benefits.
Sometimes the hardest part of the job is the people, "Government employee" mentality. This is not the nursing or healthcare staff.
Fast-paced, intense and rewarding.
Adult Inpatient Leukemia RN (Oncology) (Former Employee), Texas, MDDecember 26, 2013
I arrived early at each shift to check patients' labs and make sure there were no emergent situations. Our patients were pancytopenic with lytes often at critical levels, in which case we would order appropriate replacements and administer. WBC's were often 0.00, so much of our day was spent assessing for and treating infections. Leukemia and its treatment affect multiple organ systems. Arsenic was a standard treatment for our APL patients. Much of our day was spent monitoring vitals and administering interventions to maintain patient stability. Initiating research chemotherapy and ensuring the – more... safety of our patient throughout the span of their treatment was often a part of our daily task. Collaborating with a multi-care team such as ID, psychology, the Chaplin, respiratory therapy, nurse practitioners and other specialty teams were a necessity. Thinking quickly and managing emergent situations were a necessity as well. Other tasks included ensuring accurate documentation, training new nurses, and serving on committees to formulate new policies and procedures.
The hardest part of my job was watching the physical and psychological effects of leukemia and its treatment on patients' and their family. It was especially hard to watch this with the younger patients.
The most enjoyable part of my job was forming a relationship with my patients and their families. While it was our job to educate our patients on their disease process and interventions, the things that they taught me were more valuable than I can say here.
I can honestly say this job provided me with some of the most difficult moments and some of the most rewarding moments of my life. – less
work place enviroment great
Associate Insurance Verification Specialist (Former Employee), Texas, MDOctober 6, 2013
Pros: free week of vacation
Cons: healthcare
enjoyed my supervisor and the information she provided to us for the team to get there job done.
Excellent care, patient oriented care. graet learning environment for new NP
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 27, 2013
great benefit, great challenges, Education opportunity. Great atmosphere. Flexible hours. Great team work. Enjoyed the diversity among cliets and staff
Wonderful place to work and grow
Facility Manager, AFCO (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 13, 2013
Pros: alot of opportunity to grow and learn
Cons: sometimes can be difficult to communicate among all stakeholders
MDA is a very high caliber and fast paced environment. Multiple challenges daily, and must be able to "change hats" quickly.
My favorite job
Student Intern- Research (Former Employee), Houston, TXNovember 28, 2012
I love this job and wish i could do it all over again. The program in which i worked for was wonderful and treated me like family. When i need help there was someone that was willing to help me. There is nothing negative i can say about this job.
Great place to work.
Medical Technologist (Current Employee), Houston, TXNovember 7, 2012
Great place to work. Leading cancer institution in the nation.