University of Texas Medical Branch Employee Reviews

The work was enjoyable
Correctional Clinical Associate (Current Employee) –  Teague, TXFebruary 2, 2017
A typical day at work was chaotic to say the least. I learned how to effectively communicate in a professional manner, as well as deal with hostile customers in an effective, but professional way. The management was ok, although there were some things that should have and could have been dealt with but always seemed to be pushed to the side. The work place culture often lacked the secure mind. Employees became complacent in their every day duties until there was a tragedy that triggered them to go back in to the "secure" mind.
Pros
Excellent Benefits, Paid time off
Cons
Long days, deal with hostile co workers as well as customers
Fast pace and busy environment
Correctional Clinical Associate (Former Employee) –  Darrington Prison UnitJanuary 10, 2017
A typical day was busy, you had to be a mutli-tasker, and prepared to help in any area needed. The management did their best to help and listen, but most things were out of their hands. The moral was over-all great unless management seemed overloaded. The most enjoyable part of my job was being cross trained. I enjoyed that I could finish doing my daily activities and help in other areas. It gave me a lot of value and motivation.
Pros
Teacher retirement
Cons
Working on Campus verses working in the Prison has total differences
Comfortable environment
Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXNovember 14, 2016
Working at University of Texas Medical Branch was extremely rewarding. I learned a lot while working there. I was able to use what I learned in other jobs that came after. The staff and the medical professionals alike were very professional. The working environment was unparalleled. The benefits package was comparable and fair.
Pros
Professional environment
Cons
Not much opportunity for advancement
For the most part a great job 8-5 after 3rd party involvement
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TX 77555October 26, 2016
Arrived at 7:45 am to set up lab that opened @ 8:00 am. Doctors and co-workers got along very well. Hardest part of the job were the patients using diagnosis as an excuse to act out, had to call security a few times. Diversity was awesome, benefits great accumulated 400-600 hours of personal, and vacation time.
Pros
Insurance, Ran lab w/co-worker was great to work with, due to volume of patients in Mental Health Clinic
Cons
No raise after 3/12 yrs, waiting for mileage check that took a month/ overtime not paid, until 3rd party involvement
Job
Mental Health Clinician (Former Employee) –  Marlin, TX 76661February 3, 2017
The supervisor had no idea what was happening at my job. The supervisors I had within the 3 years I worked there were 4. Three out of the four used me to do all the work. They choice not to do their job and made me the scapegoat for their problems. I was isolated with no support.
Pros
I did my job eithically and I work hard everyday.
Cons
I had no suport.
What do you like about your job as a Health Unit Coordinator
Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  GavestonNovember 7, 2016
I've always wanted to work in healthcare! I see and learn something new everyday. Sometimes it can get frustrating but its well worth it. I meet lots of new people from different cultures and its very interesting. I don't mind helping people when they're in need. Most importantly I love what I do!.
Pros
Learning new and exciting things!
Cons
not sure
Background
Utility Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXOctober 18, 2016
I have had the opportunity to work on and manage several types of electrical projects throughout my career such as semi submersibles, ship yards, healthcare facilities, research facilities, banks, churches, stadiums, auditoriums, military bases, colleges/universities, airports, dams, gins, and utility plants.

I have extensive experience in the design, installation, operation and maintenance of industrial and commercial electrical distribution systems up to 12.47kV as used on the facilities mentioned above including normal, emergency, legally required standby and cogen systems.
Resident who trained here
medical resident (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXFebruary 11, 2017
I did my medical residency here.
Honestly, I have some good memories. Overall nice people.

But the prison hospital is ridiculous, should have been shut down a long time ago. That place is miserable and will suck the life out of you.
Pros
overall nice people, decent benefits
Cons
prison hospital; galveston is just ok
Great company to work for
Contractor thru 3Coast Staffing (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXOctober 20, 2016
The Network Activation Engineer position was an entry level position that helped me to learn multiple duties and become a part of the new Jennie Sealy Hospital network construction and opening.I would have loved to be hired on, although my contract was extended, the position was not a permanent position.
Pros
They trained me
Cons
I couldn't be hired permanently
Typical state university.
Assistant Professor, research track. (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXFebruary 12, 2017
Good Benefits.
Lots of bureaucracy.
Good Scientific environment.
New contentious faculty compensation plan.
Financial decisions taken for the Health side of the institution (ie new hospital) can have drastic consequences on the Research side (shrinking budget).
Good job, great people
Licensed Vocational Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lockhart TexasFebruary 16, 2017
The pay was fair. The job was very structured. Knowledgeable and caring staff. This is a great job for a veteran.
Training was 2 weeks long, and 125 miles from the work site.
Pros
Military like structure and order.
Cons
Understaffed on weekends and the mold in the building was horrible.
Busy Icu
Staff Nurse- Surgical ICU (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXNovember 21, 2016
This was a great first job out of school, the coworkers went out of their way to make you feel like family. The patients were very sick but overall did very well due to excellent care. IF you like to learn and have a desire to be keep education a priority this is a great place for you.
Pros
Great Learning Atmosphere
Cons
Long days
The benefits are good
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  UTMBJanuary 4, 2017
Pay is competitive, retirement benefits are great. Management is accessible and there is room for advancement. There is some tuition reimbursement if you are willing to commit to staying with the company.
Pros
retirement benifits
Cons
county hospital, not many financial perks
Great benefits
Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXFebruary 14, 2017
The benefits are great but because I work 8 hour shifts it seems as though I'm here all the time. The staff can be rude and uninviting but you kind of get used to it. The visitation is so open and I had to get used to that.

Pros: great benefits
cons: I'm here everyday almost
Great place to get an education, gain valuable training, skills & experience
Clinical Experience (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXDecember 13, 2016
Excellent group of professionals who provided what was needed to prepare students for careers in Clinical Laboratory Science.
Pros
Valuable training, skills and experience
Cons
Clinical rotations not long enough
Awesome job
ER Technician (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXJanuary 25, 2017
I learned a lot about medicine while working for San Jacinto College. The people I worked with were very kind and helpful which I really appreciated.
Pros
Got to watch and learn from the doctors in the hospital setting. Learned a lot here
Cons
12 hour night shifts and weekends
Productive Workplace, Needs better management
Stores Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXFebruary 16, 2017
This is a very good place to work. The work is easy and not too demanding. I think they should do some readjusting to their management staff because sometimes it feels as if the management is against the lower employees.
Great place to work.
Correctional Clinical Associate (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXAugust 31, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is serving the community that you live in, and the convenient locations of surrounding clinics. I've worked with a great group of people, and great leaders. The services provided, and excellent patient care is what makes UTMB a great place to work.
Pros
Daily commute is not bad at all.
Cons
A great distance to walk from the parking areas on the main campus.
Its not a bad place
ANESTHESIA TECHNICIAN II (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXFebruary 8, 2017
This is a hospital that seems massive in size but because this place is very homey, it has the small town feel for a hospital. Most of the people here actually know each other which makes this place in its own way like a large family.
Poor patient care
Outpatient Clinician lll (Former Employee) –  El Paso County, TXJanuary 8, 2017
Stressful, short staffed, over worked, unappreciative upper management and no team work. Expected to work at different facilities without proper training.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Short staffed, management have no medical background

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Texas Medical Branch. Our community is ready to answer.

University of Texas Medical Branch Reviews by Location