University of Texas Medical Branch Employee Reviews

good place
emploee (Former Employee) –  san antionio, texasJanuary 19, 2018
good place to work to help supplement income or to learn more about the medical world. i enjoyed working here for a few years but it was temporary, not many hours although the pay was good.
exciting and challenging environment
Patient Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXJanuary 18, 2018
provided high level of customer service . answered high volume of calls while multi-tasking with available resources to schedule appointments and assist caller with their specific needs. promoted positive and professional communication , provided a professional and empathetic voice to the callers to nurture their needs to analyze caller concerns and determine best course of action to resolve and address their concern.
Pros
exciting challenges daily
Cons
not always able to help caller
Collaborative efforts in getting the job done
Construction Laborer (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXJanuary 16, 2018
supervise and monitor crew members to ensure efficacy of job assignment
collaborative efforts in completing the job at hand
Able to easily build and foster working relationships with crew members
Pros
lunch breaks
Cons
low compensation for assigned projects
Poor management
Nurse (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 13, 2018
Overworked and under paid
Management will do skeleton crew most of the time. Hardly had time to eat lunch. The workload is ridiculous. DONS never lasts. Theres no teamwork whatsoever.
Pros
Cons
Can not surpass 80 hours
Nice location
Administrator, School of Nursing (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXJanuary 12, 2018
Nice working on Galveston Island. The commute was long but the working conditions were very nice and the weather was always good. Hurricane season did pose some challenges.
Check their track record
Associate Vice President (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXJanuary 9, 2018
stressful, not supported and many assignments and tasks that werent value added.

"gotcha environment"

they pay their executives well and salary for the other administrative staff is market competitive, but what you do for that salary and where you work isnt worth the it.
Great team
Patient Care Assistant (Student Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Texas, GAJanuary 8, 2018
Great people with awesome positive impact to integrate their workers to be self motivated. There DON and the administrative department have been so awesome that you can resist them.
Pros
Free launch
Cons
Short break
Great Benefits
Nurse Clinician III (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXDecember 29, 2017
UTMB has great benefits and self scheduling which is nice except the weekends were scheduled for us. We worked three twelve hour shifts per week. Able to get overtime if available
Not a bad place to work if....
Medical Technician II (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXDecember 28, 2017
In the laboratory, there is a major lack of management. When a problem arises it is never solved, and the employees must find a work around. One must remember that UTMB is also a university, so some directors are also professors who have obtained tenure; and I believe the tenure system is flawed.
ER Technician (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXDecember 19, 2017
You see way more then you expect and get a chance to expand your knowledge. There are so many ways to advance within this company. The benefits are wonderful as well.
na
LVN (Current Employee) –  Tennessee Colony, TXDecember 18, 2017
I do not have an opinion regarding this employer. Its a job that pays the bills. yes good pay and good benefits. Don't see much of management but I wouldn't since I work nights.
Poor administive involvement and evaluation of patient care.
Adjunct Professor of Neurology, 1/3 time (Former Employee) –  Galveston TXDecember 9, 2017
Management changes frequent. Poor communication with physicians as to preferences and possible improvements in patient care. Chronic shortage of staff neurologists from 1982 to 2113. Constant recruiting efforts; mainly unsuccessful.
Pros
Independ control of EEG & Evoked Potential Department, reporting to Hospital Administration, full control over Departmental budget and expenditires.
Cons
Guaranteed research time never provided. Always short of neurologists.
Productive place to work.
Assistant Research Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXNovember 28, 2017
I greatly enjoyed working at this facility. I was able to work with a lot of experienced staff and the patient population was great. I would definitely consider working here in the near future.
Stable Organization
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXNovember 18, 2017
Job stability is very good. Working for the state the benefits are very good. The ability to be promoted is also very good. The experience that I received enabled me to continue to get good jobs elsewhere.
Pros
stability, benefits, advancement
Cons
limited view of healthcare
Stressful, yet, Rewarding Workplace
Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXNovember 14, 2017
During my work day I typically make rounds on patients, any and all clerical work, including answering phones and running errands.
I have learned many different medical terms. Being in the medical field has taught me that you should treat everyone as with respect and as if they were you family.
Management was poor, however, and was not very receptive to concerns made by the employees. Several employees have left due to these concerns. I was a chairman of a Committee that was supposed help shape the department. However, not much was accomplished in the 2 years that I was a part of the committee due to management push back.
The hardest part of my job was seeing different patients come in for severe trauma, death or assaults. Especially young children.
The best thing that I loved about my job was getting to meet new people. Getting to be a part of possibly helping someone with a smile or kind word. It's kept me grounded and humble.
Pros
Holiday/Compensation pay, Healthcare benefits
Cons
short coverage for healthcare per patient at times
Large, professional organization
Administrative Course Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXNovember 14, 2017
UTMB is one of the best employers in this local area for all levels of expertise. Opportunities do exist for transfers or advancement. As a State agency/university benefits are hard to beat.
Infectious disease therapeutics
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXNovember 13, 2017
Came up with drug candidates for dengue protease using virtual screening techniques and free energy of binding calculations

Loved the experimental aspect of work with colleagues as I learned the techniques from them since I am a computational chemist.
Loved it
Legal Intern - Legal Dept. and Compliance Dept (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXNovember 8, 2017
This was my first experience in the medical field and it was great. The people and the atmosphere are all lovely, and it is overall one of the best places to work.
Had a competitive sign on bonus at the time
Registered Nurse- operating room (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXNovember 5, 2017
Major teaching hospital. Loved the teaching aspect and enjoyed working with the surgical residents and faculty. Everyone was very knowledgeable and pleasant to work with. It was a great place to be as a recent graduate.
Great gym-sorry I had to relocate
Personal Trainer/ Coach, Self Employed (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXNovember 3, 2017
I enjoyed working here very much. I had to relocate due to my husband's job. But it was a very good work environment. I would like to find something like this in the future. I was given many opportunities.
Pros
Freedom to create programs around the needs of my clients
Cons
independent contractor...no benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Texas Medical Branch. Our community is ready to answer.