University of Texas Medical Branch Employee Reviews in United States

A good place to work if you can tolerate working in a prison.
Correction Clinical Associate (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 2, 2016
I check emails and respond or note accordingly.
Prepare weekly warehouse orders
Place special orders
Answer inmate question regarding supplies
Issue all supplies to the clinic and employees as needed
Address and solve issues as they occur
Make note in patient chart in EMR
Communicate with Sr. Practice Manager on problems/issues and help resolve.
Direct bills to Accounting
Prepare bills for payment
Chart in sharps and chemical log books
Always willing to help a co-worker in need
Pros
free lunch, great benefits and holidays, good working hours
Cons
Job is in the confinds of a prison. Standing in line to go through security, long walk to time clock, Security in not convenient and that can cause delays in getting to work on time.
work did not match job description
Practice Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXNovember 24, 2015
job description was 14 years old...the work required did not match, plus was asked to assume risk of daily errands without reimbursement; Microsoft version/computer software more than 10 years old; other programs used for all operations extremely antiquated (there were 10 clicks for per every step); caters to uninsured/undocumented - does not know how to serve insured; high patient wait times and no tools on how to decrease; basic templates not established to help work flow and clinics succeed and major political/territorial surrounded such areas; never knew who to trust; huge carbon footprint, waste of paper and resources mount high!! huge deflation was learning of animal testing on primates and reading company email from Univ President trying to justify. need to catch up with the times; go green/paperless and upgrade systems.
Pros
pay/benefits
Cons
job culture; management; wasteful with resources
Correctional Managed Care
Mental Health Clinician (Current Employee) –  Gatesville, TXMarch 8, 2016
Working in the correctional setting, there are a great deal of limitations within any job. Conducting the job while also complying with the ethics of the profession and the security demands were, challenging, at times, due to conflicting guidelines. There is also NO job advancement within this agency.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor working environment
During my 19 years of service, UTMB provided growth and advancement for me personally, within the research administrations office
Senior Manager, Research Operations (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TexasFebruary 16, 2016
This was a high volume, fast paced position that required much of my time spent helping others in the human subject protections protocol submission process while working with various IRB members in the administrative review process as well as training of new IRB staff on a daily basis.

In a deadline driven environment, I learned to handle high stress situations while working directly with University leadership as well as my own staff during the day to day operations of maintaining many deadline driven activities, including but not limited to, protocol review and approval for initial and continuing review of research projects, audits and accreditation activities and turn around times for administrative review of protocols, amendments, etc.

Working with sometimes, "difficult" investigators that might not understand the need for compliance in the world of research subjects protections.

Working with different professionals at every level to assist in the approval and conduct of research activities at UTMB.
Pros
Holiday Pay and Benefits
Cons
Travel to and from work
a very rewarding job in nursing
RN III-Outpatient (Current Employee) –  Gatesville, TXJanuary 2, 2016
Strong assessment skills and communication skills are required for this job. Another skill developed while working for UTMB is the ability to adapt to any situation easily.
Working for UTMB has been the best experience for me. I am very proud of the time that I have worked with this company
I am very competent to handle any situation that arises at work.
Pros
Excellent health care benefits and retirement
Cons
I cannot think of any negatives at this time
The job was the best that I had. The job had great benefits and people that enjoyed working with and learning was done everyday.
CRT/Data entry (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXNovember 6, 2015
Professional, good work environment, able to get alone and help out co-workers when needed. Always got to work on time and rarely called in sick. The days at work always stayed busy. I was able to manage working with hostile telephone callers, and remained professional. I have my own transportation. I maintained confidentiality with work related issues. The most enjoyable part of the day was bonding with my co-workers when overwhelmed everyone was like family pitching in to help each other. The hardest part of the job was dealing with hostile callers that cussed you. I learned so much as far as medical terminology, knowing what medications were for what symptoms, how deal with hostile callers and remain calm. I learned the Doctors and nurses personalities, and so much more.
Pros
Worked the shift I loved at night, Benefits were good, and it was a learning job.
Cons
Had to work holidays
Enjoyable
Sr. Business Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXNovember 23, 2015
UTMB provides excellent learning opportunities and growth for employees. I've worked with some wonderful people and have enjoyed the 20+ years that I've been here. We work hard to provide exceptional care to our patients and families.
Pros
Excellent learning opportunities provided. Insurance, 401K
Cons
Sometimes lack of communication between management.
Hard working staff but also laughter through out the day
Sterile Processing Technologist III (Current Employee) –  League City, TXNovember 19, 2015
Work is steady have learned so much. My supervisor is the best !! My co-workers are hard working yet laughter is heard throughout the sterile processing dept. The hardest part of the job is when ortho reps bring in ortho sets at the very end of the day that will need to be cleaned and sterilized for the next day first case. The laughter shared between co-workers and the supervisor is the most enjoyable part of the day.
Pros
Full medical benefits and great staff
Cons
lunch too short
awesome atmosphere, great people
Correctional Clinical Associate (Current Employee) –  Henderson, TXFebruary 24, 2016
This job was a great opportunity to expand my people skills! i loved all the interaction, and the hustle and bustle. a busy day is a quick day, and it was enjoyable.
Pros
great boss, routine
Cons
no benefits, part time
Networking Activation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXMarch 21, 2016
Good benefits if you are permanet.
Good enviroment of work, everyone working like team.
Is a great place to learn.
Team work.
Low pay, great benefits. Stressful work environment but wonderful coworkers.
Correctional Clinical Associate (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXSeptember 11, 2015
The University of Texas Medical Branch - Correctional Managed Care could be a great place to work. If management would concentrate more on their human assets and less on keeping within the legislated budget it could be a fun place to work. I thoroughly enjoyed my coworkers. Their friendship made the days worthwhile. Sharing their vast knowledge base was always a welcome learning experience.
Pros
Good benefits, great employees.
Cons
Poor compensation, no room for growth. Uncaring management.
Government Job
Human Resources, Recruitment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXNovember 10, 2015
For anyone not looking for growth or development this is an okay place to work. You won't get any raises or promotions because it's a state agency and the budget is always getting cut. Everyone has been there for 30 years and they hire relatives. They have decent benefits.
Pros
Large Campus
Wonderful place to work at. Great benefits
nurse rn (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXJanuary 18, 2016
The first interview I had was very discouraging: the nurse manager asked me "why do you want to leave your job and come at teaching hospital, to a place where it was so fast paced". She actually discouraged me from taking the job. I went home feeling very sad that day.
However about one week after that interview I was called for a second interview on another unit and that nurse manager was very encouraging. I told her I really wanted to work at UTMB and was willing to work hard. I was so happy that I got the job and I was able to do the UTMB nursing internship which was an amazing program. On the unit I was placed with the best preceptors and after three months I felt so confident with my work. I felt like part of a family. The nurse manager was very caring to all the staff and patients.The nurses were very talented. All the other co-workers including unit staff and nursing assistants assisted each other in such a caring way.
I enjoyed constantly learning new things related to nursing, and working together to benefit the patients that graced our lives.
Sadly, however a few years later I hurt my back through my own fault by offering to take a patient to the ER ( for a stat CT scan) with the transport personnel and when I reached an incline in the ramp on the way to the ER. I pulled the bed up instead of pushing from behind. After my surgery I was advised by the neurosurgeon not to do any job that require heavy lifting so I had to resign. But I will always remember the wonderful days at such a great institution. Every day I worked at UTMB was a happy day for me!
Pros
always learning something new. Great benefits.
Patient Care Technician II (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXNovember 29, 2015
Definitely a place of opportunity. Good pay and GREAT benefits. Learning environment and plenty of opportunities to grow. Diverse as far as healthcare when you find your place in the environment great highly possible retirement
Short and sweet
Financial Analyst II (Current Employee) –  301 university blvd Galveston TXJune 23, 2015
It's hard to find a decent job in Galveston, but UTMB is ok. A lot of the departments differ, some are ok and laid back while others are strict and hardworking. Pay is ok, for where you are located, but there is no "career path" or employee development unless you switch around to new departments on your own.

A lot of management personnel are total dicks but some are really cool and treat you like you are human and help you.

All in all this is not a BAD place to work. But odds are you won't fall in love with it either.
Pros
Some good people, decent pay (for the area), good benefits
Cons
Bad management, No career path, Not awesome work/life balance, Pay does not compare to Houston for same job titles
Worked compressed weekends, teaching hospital, interesting patients.
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXJuly 14, 2015
This was a 20 bed psych unit set on Galveston Island. I was the charge nurse and we spent many hours with each patient. Staffing was great, services provided to the clients was above and beyond what you would expect from a state hospital. We also took care of the Texas prison population and had tropical infectious disease programs.
Pros
Good benefits, safe surroundings, educational in all respects.
Cons
Long hours, long commute (lived in Houston), when hurricaine season hit it was hard to get to work.
Always a challange at the Department
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXSeptember 22, 2015
A fun place to work and always a challange in our department. 2 departments combining makes it a place to learn something new every day. I really enjoy my coworkers and management team.
Pros
Good Benefits and Retirment plan.
Cons
Not able to move up.
Stable Job
Patient Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  League City, TXAugust 12, 2015
Typical day at work, very busy clinic because we have different specialties in this office. Gotten much better multi tasking, management is fair. Hardest part of my job is when I'm unable to get a patient in to be seen when needed. Enjoyable part team work with my co-workers and making the clinic smooth for the patients
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Pay for parking
Sr. Manager of Patient Accounts, Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TexasJuly 20, 2015
UTMB Health is a great place to work, good benefits and competitive salaries. Strong work ethics, hard work and perseverance are rewarded.
Pros
Strong work ethics, hard work and perseverance are rewarded.
Cons
High cost of living on island and long commute for affordable off-island residence.
complete lack of respect
Research (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXApril 3, 2015
UTMB is resting on it's laurels of long ago. It use to be working for the state meant advancement, good benefits, and a sort of "family atmosphere". New management has come in and created possibly the most divisive atmosphere anyone has ever seen. No one is safe here, including tenured faculty. There is a great disconnect between classification and education that results in terminally degreed personnel being dictated to by administrative level folks, who some have no degree at all. Those same non or low level degreed people "control" the bottom line classified or "worker bee" people by using time as the only focus. Gone is the idea of performance and productivity goals for BS/MS level people with decades of experience. As long as you show up and clock in an out on a Wal-Mart style time management plan, you will be fine.

I cannot more strongly urge people, especially research support staff titles, to NOT seek employment at UTMB.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Texas Medical Branch. Our community is ready to answer.