University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center

University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Employer Reviews

salary
Postdoctoral Researcher II (Current Employee), Dallas, TXMay 13, 2014
it is bad.it is bad.it is bad.it is bad.it is bad.it is bad.it is bad.
A great place for a young person to start a career and grow upward while you are there.
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 14, 2014
Pros: excellent healthcare
Cons: parking
I have been fortunate to work for several directors and physicians during my tenure at UT Southwestern during the past 24 years. Listing one position is hard to encompass all I have done there. A typical day always starts with the calendars of the directors and physicians so I will know where they will be during the day if needed. In this particular – more... job, patient slides are always waiting to be scanned and delivered to the correct pathologist. Anything regarding patients is a first priority. Slides are delivered 5 times daily. Some slides may not have paperwork and I would look up patient information including insurance. In the interim of slides, I would answer phones, contact outside physicians for patient consults, keeping track of what went where and when. Consults coming in and going out, was ongoing daily and had to be sent by FedEx and following up on. Check requests would be entered for statements due, and correspondence typed for the director. There would always be copying and scanning to do, or look up needed journal articles on Pub Med. I would also proof articles for spelling and correct English, and would submit them to the journal once the director approved. Office supplies would be ordered on an as needed basis.

I learned how important the slides were for patient care and that rush means rush now. Communicating with the physicians and coworkers is very important. If you do not understand or have a question, always ask.

I learned that all those in management are not equal. There are those that have very different styles in their work and communication skills. It takes time to learn exactly what they need from you. Just because they may not seem friendly doesn't mean they don't like you or your work. Sometimes it is the culture they came from.

Co-workers may be your friend or not, but you must always be respectful of each other. I've been fortunate to have worked with very good co-workers. If one had to be away from the office, we would always do our best to cover for them when needed. Cross training was a good thing that we tried to do as far as working for the directors. If the director was out, someone had to cover the phones and anything else they many need.

The hardest part of the job was when a co-worker was out of the office for weeks at a time for illness. Not only did I have to do my job, but hers as well. We had the same job, but worked for different physicians. It was very hard to work 10 hours a day for weeks on and off for several months, but it was my job and there was not any complaining. This sort of job must be completed each day for the patient's care, and I feel very responsible and took my job seriously.

The most enjoyable part of the job is easy. I parked in a garage where I didn't have to go outside to get in the building! We also had several eating places within UT to eat lunch. With those two little perks aside, I loved all the people I met and friends I've made from many different countries through the years. I enjoyed learning about their culture, foods, and beliefs. – less
Extensive Clinical and Practice Management experience
CLINIC MANAGER (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 29, 2014
I have a solid history in practice management in ambulatory care setting. I have built and successfully managed a staff of 43. I deal effectively with patients, physicians,registered nurses, licensed vocational nurses , certified medical office assistants, and clinic staff assistants on a regular basis.
I am healthcare professional known for consistently – more... achieving clinical, operational and financial excellence by improving productivity, streamlining processes, inventory reduction, improving patient satisfaction.
I have learned to consistently demonstrate a unique ability to assess and analyze complex situations and formulate success oriented action plans for improvement. Strong analytical ability to evaluate and collate data from a variety of sources to reduce waste while increasing efficiency and productivity. The most enjoyable part of my position is dealing with people,and being able to incorporate process improvement methods to delivery quality care for patients. – less
Work that on occasion yielded results that made you feel like you made a difference.
Senior Team leader and Transplant Technician II (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: you feel like you make a difference.
Cons: unpredictable assignments with exceedingly long work hours.
"Southwestern" is an institution that strives for excellence and for a time I enjoyed the institution. However, where I was employed, Transplant Services Center, the work/life balance was horribly skewed towards work. I learned a tremendous amount about the politics of medicine, management of projects, training, working at varying types of facilities – more... and recruiting/team leading procurement teams. My co-workers at my level and lower were mostly tremendous people that where productive, persistent and quite knowledgeable. The most difficult part of my position was the increasingly unpredictability of working long cases (up to 36 hours) on short to no notice wither I was on-call or off-call. The most enjoyable part of my position was meeting a recipient of the tissue I procured or giving a grieving family some relief talking about donation of their loved one especially with heart valve donors. – less
Rewarding job with good work/life balance
Research Assistant (Former Employee), TXDecember 20, 2013
Working at UT Southwestern was a rewarding experience. I learned much about the job.
UT Southwestern is an institution that does high quality biomedical research.
Graduate Research Assistant/Rotation Student (Former Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 28, 2013
I had the opportunity to work with different PIs who did biomedical research and attend seminars to learn more about different fields of biomedical research.
difficult place to work and to find career growth.
MANAGER, GUEST SERVICES (Current Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 26, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: low employee engagement and satisfaction
UTSW is a prestigious medical school and research facility. It has some of the best medical care available in the world. The overall leadership is extremely conservative and behind the times in employee satisfactions. It has been described as broken and dysfunctional. It is very political and doesn't seem to want to change. People stay at UTSW for the – more... incredible benefits, but most people are very unhappy in their jobs. – less
Great teaching Facility
Clinical Assistant I (Current Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 2, 2013
Pros: team work
Cons: short breaks
Great teaching Facility with ways to expand your experience and grow.
The most enjoyable aspect was meeting the recipients of the donors I procured.
Senior Team leader and Transplant Technician II (Former Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 10, 2013
Pros: surgical skills, coordination of procurement teams and knowing i was improving peoples’ lives
Cons: management kept a completely unpredictable schedule, difficult management of issues and excessively long hours without rest were expected.
The position I filled at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (UTSWMC) was unpredictable with the schedule due to the nature and timing of tissue procurement. I learned a tremendously amount concerning management of multiple unanticipated situations and leading my team to accomplish the goal of safe donor procurement. I also learned and performed – more... the new corneal processing procedures for cutting edge transplant protocols. Management was mostly hands off letting me take care of the tasks at hand. My co-workers on the night shift were excellent and motivated to cooperate with each other because we depended on each other to quickly and professionally complete the tasks at hand. The most difficult part of the job was exceptionally long work hours were expected including driving halfway across Texas after working for 28-32 hours or to finish a 14 hour procurement and expected to procure another 14 hour procurement. The most enjoyable part of the job was the incredibly rare meeting of the recipients of the donors I procured. – less
Excellent employer
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJune 2, 2013
Pros: leadership and people are great
Cons: location is precautional.
I have worked for this university for many years here in Dallas, TX and have many changes (good). Both Presidents that I have been under has been amazing and have made excellent growth for the university. The benefits here is great and the incentives are better. The doctors have given me great treatment for my health and will be dearly missed.
Great environment
Senior Administrative / Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 29, 2013
Great place to work but they are not flexible. Also it is hard to progress in the company without working for them up to 10 years or more, even with a dedicated work ethic.
Un-organize
Cook (Current Employee), Dallas, TXMarch 22, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: very expensive health insurance for part time employeess
no stability, organization and lack of communication. no balanced life.
what I have leanred
Postdoc researcher (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMarch 13, 2013
Pros: mature, highly motivated and easy adapability
Through years of work and clinical observing in different hospitals, what I have learned is:
1) lab skills:
• Purification and assay enzyme activity for a membrane protein, in an effort to find novel diagnostic marker for Alzheimer’s disease (AD). Identify molecule that can potentially be used for treatment of AD. Characterized the biological function – more... of compounds on membrane proteins.
• Study relationship between Niemann-Pick disease type C (Npc1) protein and obesity using a Npc1 transgenic mouse model, which involved body weight measurement, glucose tolerance test, insulin activity assay, lipoprotein profile study and NMR for body fat.
• Study effects of TNF on NPC disease to see if deletion of TNF can improve survival Npc1 mice.
• Microarray study of gene profiles using primary neuronal culture from Npc1 mouse. Validate genes expression using qPCR.
• Identified effects of histone deacetylase inhibitors (HDACi) on dopaminergic neurons using primary cultured neurons and cell lines. Demonstrating differential regulation of HDACi on dopamine transporters in CNS.

2) Clinical knowledge: 2 months of expericens in psychiatry department; more than 6 month of experiences in pediatrics department. – less
Conducted research in pharmacology and psychiatry
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 15, 2013
Served as a research assistant under Nobel Laureate, conducted experiments, collected data, analyzed data, reported results to group of Phds and MDs
Loved it!
Research Assistant II (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: free lunches, lenient work hours, friendly people, great benefits.
Cons: not enough room for advancement.
It was a great job. Wish there was more room for advancement, but I love the work place.
Prestigeous place to work with 5 Nobel Prize Winners
Leave Administration Representative (Former Employee), Dallas, TXNovember 28, 2012
Pros: professional atmosphere
Professional environment. Good opportunities for advancement.
Good starting place for a people with minimal information technology background.
Analyst (Current Employee), Information ResourcesNovember 21, 2012
Pros: defined benefit plan.
Cons: frequent layoffs, minimal pay increases, no bonuses, no promotional opportunities.
Management in the IR department is not focused on employee development or employee satisfaction. You will notice that within a few weeks of starting.

Most analysts are friendly and accommodating. Most will provide you with a little guidance and advice to help you learn the ropes. They will not provide much in depth guidance or advice but it isn't because – more... they are unfriendly it is because there is not a clear and concise understanding across the department that facilitates communication.

The hardest part of the job is work life balance. There is none. You have a choice. Once you clear the six month probationary period you can stick to a 35 to 40 hour work week. During some projects you will be pressured to increase to 40+ but it is up to you if you want to. However, upper management will notice it and it may color their opinion of you. Most people who impress management consistently work 50+ hours with limited time off. So, decide what your tolerances are early on.

There is almost no advancement opportunity. Do not be fooled by that. Do not believe anything to the contrary.

The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with some co-workers since many people have a great sense of humor.

You will be on-call and you will work holidays regardless of what human resources says. Your involvement with HR ends at orientation so do not be fooled into thinking HR represents anyone's interest but the organization. – less
Productive and pleasent research lab with state of the art equipments
Research Assistant II (Former Employee), Dallas, TXSeptember 5, 2012
Pros: lunches
Cons: short breaks
Organized lab and make sure all equipments are in a good working condition,calibrate,clean and prepare media or stock solutions in the lab.get a daily inventory of what needed to be ordered or repaired.check with the research fellows to solve any problems they might have concernning their experiments.make phone calls and communicate with companies and – more... vendors.manage animal colony.and handle cell culture lines.perform radia active surveys and accountability for the lab.manage hazardous and drug usagein the lab with records.visit other labs and universities to discuss the newst updates and machines.organizze workshops with the vendors to train fellows in the lab.help analyze data.and search libarary.assist in perfomrming some sigments of projects. – less
Good place to work if you like Academia
Research Assistant I in immunology lab (Current Employee), Dallas, TXMay 9, 2012
Not much room for advancement without a PhD. They don't pay very well, but the benefits are good.
A great place for biomedical research in Dallas!
Database Analyst (Current Employee), Dallas, TXMarch 21, 2012
UT Southwestern is full of opportunity for this eloping for biomedical research related positions and the numerous other support positions.