University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Employee Reviews

Overload of Work
Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 14, 2018
Extremely and unusual high turn over in my department. I am not sure about other departments. I have worked at UTSW for a year and over 15 people have transferred to other departments and 2 people left the UTSW.
There is a lot of work and pressure to perform with little or no resources. It is not unusual for people to work from home and on weekends.
The department is toxic with at least two individuals the department praises but do not acknowledge they are the reasons for such a high turn over.
Pros
Good health insurance
Cons
Poor management, no support, overload of work and constant policy changes.
UT Southwestern Medical Center
Postdoctoral Research (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 21, 2017
UT Southwestern Medical Center is an enjoyable place to work as a scientist. The interaction among the professors is also enjoyable. Overall, it is a nice place to work.
Enjoyed my work
Assistant instructor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 20, 2017
Enjoyed my work but too fast-paced and stressful. I did 7 years research there. Sometimes I had to stay late and came in weekends. However, people there are very nice and all about teamwork.
Utsw
Division Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 17, 2017
Great place to work. Should always be aware of politics and culture of the work place. Very conservative. expected to get the job done with minimal resources.
Pros
job security, decent benefits
Cons
politics, conservative work environment
Day at work
Oral Maxofacial Surgery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 16, 2017
Typical day at work was check messages and schedule. Patient care learn to work in multiple areas of the clinic. Management hands off of that there's a problem. Work place culture was busy,,knowledgeable,and always changing. The hardest part of my job was leaving my patients. The most enjoyable for part of my job was my patients.
Pros
Education
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Hard work for low pay
Animal Care Attendant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 14, 2017
Equipment is 12 years old, has been breaking down, hospital won't pay to fix it, lots of hard work, lots of double standards, and manager(s) that lie. One person consistently shows up late for the morning meeting (missed the entire 10 minute meeting), but nothing was said for at least a week. I showed up 2 minutes late, and got a lecture on being on time.
Pros
its a paycheck
Cons
everything else
Great Health Movement is Possible but Difficult
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 12, 2017
The new manager of the revenue department does not even have an accounting degree yet they are responsible for managing accountants. Makes zero sense. At UTSW it DOES matter who you know. Because of this my poor department is lost when it comes to management and direction.

Overall, campus is huge and full of opportunities. Just do not give up trying to move around. It will take a long time. But the staying within the organization might be worth it.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
upward mobility is HARD
Great Place
Senior Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 7, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working at UTSW Medical Center. It has been years since I worked there and it is a large location that the environment may vary from department to department.
UTSW is a great employer
Account Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 20, 2017
UTSW is a great place to work. They offer outstanding benefit packages. The compensation is somewhat on the low side however the benefits can make up the difference. There was opportunity for overtime and the team I worked with was more like family.
review.
Technical Support Executive (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 10, 2017
A productive and informative working environment is availed, Management is helpful and knowledgeable, the workplace culture is fast paced but relaxed.
Awesome Place to Work
Research Study Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 7, 2017
Management is fantastic. Work/life balance was amazing (flexible hours). Teamwork was phenomenal. Everyone was well respected and appreciated. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with competent, smart people.
Pros
Flexible hours
Return to academic medicine
Assistant Professor of Medicine (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 20, 2017
I came back to UTSW for a much needed sabbatical and after urging by my colleagues there to return for the past several years. My time there has been well spent. I have developed expertise in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and continued treating chronic hepatitis C. I am also doing clinical research. Being back in academic medicine has allowed me to refocus and refuel. The emphasis of most academic centers is still research. Clearly, the aspect of medicine I love and enjoy the most is patient care. I would like to work with people who are like minded and to return home to the Seattle/Bellevue/Tacoma area.
Pros
rich in opportunities for research
Cons
fledgling clinical program
Stable but stifling
Grants and Contracts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 30, 2017
UTSW is a great place to work if you are looking for stability. Significant pay increases are far and few in between if you stay in the same job title. The biggest benefit is stability and being in the world of academia.
UTSouthwestern Review
Logistics Technician (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 22, 2017
A typical day at work is busy.
what your learned I learned about the upkeep of medical equipment.
Management - Prioritize work.
workplace culture was diverse.
The hardest part of the job is nothing.
the most enjoyable part of the job. is getting the job done.
Pros
The latitude to get the job done.
Cons
Not being recognized when you exceed you requirements.
The best part of the job is the benefits
Clinic staff supervisor, Ophthalmic Technician. (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 12, 2017
Steady job, good benefits average to below average pay except for management. Management pay far exceeds the rank and file employee yet the managers typically do not possess skill sets relevant to the the clinics with which they manage. Very political cut throat environment. Low employee engagement.
Pros
great benefits, steady job
Cons
poor management, Hr.
Great place to pursue biomedical research
Instructor (Junior Faculty) (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 9, 2017
Research facilities are top notch with ample scope for collaboration. Administrative support is superb. Competition drives the research quality and the overall impact on advancing biomedical research.
Highly collaborative and work friendly
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 6, 2017
A typical day of work here is about 8-10 hours. The work is very collaborative and good amount of support. H. Compensation for postdocs could be better.
Pros
Collaborative, flexibility, work-life balance
Cons
limited career development opportunity, compensation
Work
Clinical RN Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 5, 2017
Great place overall but changes need to be made with the old administrative structure. Streamlined procedures are needed to make areas flow better. There are many ethical concerns about the level of nepotism that occurs there, which leads to qualified staff not being hired or pushed out of their jobs to only hire friends or family members that are not qualified to do the work.
Benefits
Cons
nepotism
Beneficial in all aspects
Paid Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 29, 2017
This job was great because it gave me a lot of experience in a field that I plan on pursuing. It taught me vocabulary that I need in my future for school and for nursing. My boss was amazing and encouraged me to ask questions, and always gave me more information than needed, so I could learn the purpose of everything I was doing. My coworkers were also great and helped me along the way.
Pros
Amazing boss, amazing co working, amazing job.
Best Hospital
Registered Nurse* Float Pool (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 24, 2017
I'm a former military wife, and have worked in various locations and settings.

UTSW is the best hospital I've worked at by far! Team-driven approach, Unit-based council (including a night-shift council!), great leadership, and endless educational opportunities!

None can compare really.