University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Employee Reviews

Depends on the group you work in!
Quality Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 4, 2015
This is a typical, large govenment organization and everything including culture depends on the group you work in and your department's executive management.
Fun Place
Functional Lead (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 3, 2015
I loved working for them. The bosses and peers were fantastic. Hard work which was very fulfilling. I enjoyed seeing my fellow employees and bosses.
Excellent research
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 6, 2015
Many great researchers including multiple Nobel Prize laureates, members of National Academy of Science.But Dallas is too hot in summer.
I loved going to work
Health Information (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 19, 2015
I enjoyed my time working at UTSW. I liked being able to do my work without being micro-managed. Everyone was always very friendly and worked as a team.
Pros
Paid employee benefits
Cons
parking
Job Stability, Poor management
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  daMay 24, 2015
UTSW provides job security and stability but lacks the leadership to keep morale high.

A majority of my coworkers were great, hardworking people. There were a few that seemed to get away with murder and management didn't seem to do much about it. It was demotivating to those who put in the effort.
Pros
Great benefits, stability
Cons
Poor management, lack of motivation
Great place to work.
Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 20, 2015
I feel that this is a wonderful place to work. Everyone stepping up and helping one another to get the job done, ultimately assisting the customer in getting what they were needing.
Not an ideal long term place to work
Admissions rep (Former Employee) –  DallasApril 7, 2015
Cannot rely on management to maintain a professional work place environment. Pay is not any where near as appropriate for the amount of work you do.
Running after grant and protecting your project of research is not fun or easy to do
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 20, 2015
very political environement, although science should be away from politic.
As many of my co-workers we are hard workers, we teach, collaborate and learn from each other...the management and some direction are really very poor and do not hesitate to still and copy and past your ideas and projects ...too many descriminations and political issues.
Resident Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 4, 2015
Management and HR does not back employees nor do they care about the welfare of them.
Other than problems with management job was great I was with the State of Texas for 19 yr 7 mths so there was no question of my loyality to them
Pros
State of Texas
Cons
Would rather loose a almost 20 yr employee than keep that knowledge employee
Work with Medical experts and professionals on a daily basis
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TexasJanuary 28, 2015
I work with a great group of people and I enjoy most of my job but I do work for the State of Texas and there is a lot of "red tape" involved in the job. I have experienced some things in my job that I am sure I would not have in any other position. I have the opportunity to meet very intelligent people but at the same time they are just ordinary people also. Sometimes the hardest part of the job is dealing with all the different personalities but it can also be fun depending on the person. I feel that I am ready for a change and really excited.
Pros
A few discounts offered to the University and a good retirement benefit.
Cons
A long walk from the parking lot to the office. Cannot really leave the office for lunch.
An experience
Sr. HIM Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TxJanuary 22, 2015
Benefits are awesome. Can be a stressful environment. Patients are hurting so can be mean but worth the experience.
Great benefits
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 21, 2015
Enjoyed doing my day to day job work environment was great. Working 14 years for this company was a life time experience. Enjoyed talking to different clients on a daily basis and helping people when needed and solving problems.
benefits
Cons
healthcare
One of the leading institute for biomedical research in United States with a high number of faculties and diverse research topics.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 8, 2015
As a Ph.D student, conducting scientific research is the major part of daily work. Also, there are plenty of opportunities for attending classes, seminars, student organization activities.
Good company
Clinic Staff Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 3, 2014
great company to work for. treated fairly, great employee benefits.
OK job
Research Technician I (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 2, 2014
Great research institution. Currently working here for a short period of time. Working part time and trying to publish a research paper. Typical day is running experiments and analyzing data. Co-workers are very nice and help me out when I'm struggling with an experiment.
Very rewarding job
Senior Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 6, 2014
During my years at UTSouthwestern, I have utilized my CNS skills in providing the best care and at the same time advocating for my subjects in research settings and the clinical setting. I work with a very cohesive and team oriented group of individuals, we are constantly seeing large numbers of individuals on a daily basis but manage to pull together and provide the best care we make our patients feel at ease, thus they frequently return for our services.
The hardest part of the job are during the recruitment phase of a study initiation when the job stress level increases this depends on how many subjects and how fast you get to recruit for a specific study.
Overall I enjoy my job but I am looking for a change and a new challenge and the ability to utilize my Clinical Nurse Specialist skills in another environment.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
working thru lunches and break time
Great Benefits
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 20, 2014
The benefits are very good and pay is OK. We earn time off, but it's not very easy to take it. I have learned a lot in my position and enjoy my job. I just don't think there is a proper work/home life balance. This may be specific to my department or position.
Pros
Good benefits, out of pocket costs better than most
Cons
Not very easy to get time off, hours can be long
An innovated team oriented workplace dedicated to research
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 12, 2014
Everyday at UT Southwestern we have an opportunity to impact the world in the fight against multiple cancer diseases. The most enjoyable part of the job is the positive results we see in patients as a result of the research and treatment our patients receive. I have learned that success is inevitable when you are persistent.
Pros
Insurance, PTO
Cons
Salary
A great place for a young person to start a career and grow upward while you are there.
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 14, 2014
I have been fortunate to work for several directors and physicians during my tenure at UT Southwestern during the past 24 years. Listing one position is hard to encompass all I have done there. A typical day always starts with the calendars of the directors and physicians so I will know where they will be during the day if needed. In this particular job, patient slides are always waiting to be scanned and delivered to the correct pathologist. Anything regarding patients is a first priority. Slides are delivered 5 times daily. Some slides may not have paperwork and I would look up patient information including insurance. In the interim of slides, I would answer phones, contact outside physicians for patient consults, keeping track of what went where and when. Consults coming in and going out, was ongoing daily and had to be sent by FedEx and following up on. Check requests would be entered for statements due, and correspondence typed for the director. There would always be copying and scanning to do, or look up needed journal articles on Pub Med. I would also proof articles for spelling and correct English, and would submit them to the journal once the director approved. Office supplies would be ordered on an as needed basis.

I learned how important the slides were for patient care and that rush means rush now. Communicating with the physicians and coworkers is very important. If you do not understand or have a question, always ask.

I learned that all those in management are not equal. There are those that have very different styles in their work and communication
  more... skills. It takes time to learn exactly what they need from you. Just because they may not seem friendly doesn't mean they don't like you or your work. Sometimes it is the culture they came from.

Co-workers may be your friend or not, but you must always be respectful of each other. I've been fortunate to have worked with very good co-workers. If one had to be away from the office, we would always do our best to cover for them when needed. Cross training was a good thing that we tried to do as far as working for the directors. If the director was out, someone had to cover the phones and anything else they many need.

The hardest part of the job was when a co-worker was out of the office for weeks at a time for illness. Not only did I have to do my job, but hers as well. We had the same job, but worked for different physicians. It was very hard to work 10 hours a day for weeks on and off for several months, but it was my job and there was not any complaining. This sort of job must be completed each day for the patient's care, and I feel very responsible and took my job seriously.

The most enjoyable part of the job is easy. I parked in a garage where I didn't have to go outside to get in the building! We also had several eating places within UT to eat lunch. With those two little perks aside, I loved all the people I met and friends I've made from many different countries through the years. I enjoyed learning about their culture, foods, and beliefs.
Pros
Excellent healthcare
Cons
Parking
Extensive Clinical and Practice Management experience
CLINIC MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 29, 2014
I have a solid history in practice management in ambulatory care setting. I have built and successfully managed a staff of 43. I deal effectively with patients, physicians,registered nurses, licensed vocational nurses , certified medical office assistants, and clinic staff assistants on a regular basis.
I am healthcare professional known for consistently achieving clinical, operational and financial excellence by improving productivity, streamlining processes, inventory reduction, improving patient satisfaction.
I have learned to consistently demonstrate a unique ability to assess and analyze complex situations and formulate success oriented action plans for improvement. Strong analytical ability to evaluate and collate data from a variety of sources to reduce waste while increasing efficiency and productivity. The most enjoyable part of my position is dealing with people,and being able to incorporate process improvement methods to delivery quality care for patients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Reviews by Location