University of Toledo Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Great co-workers, good job security
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHOctober 30, 2015
Days were very routine, great place to work with excellent job security, benefits and compensation. Enjoyed most the variety of people I came into contact with everyday, patients, peers and co-workers.
Exciting academic environment
Healthcare Laboratory IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHJuly 28, 2015
What I find most exciting is the recent organization restructuring. New administration is receptive to hearing the voice of both the customer and staff.
New president is motivated to see the medical academics grow.
The most enjoyable part of my job is learning IT roles in both academic and hospital environment.
Co-workers are friendly but not very customer service oriented.
Management is now more approachable and receptive to ideas.
Hardest part of job is access to needed resources. The new administration is working to turn this around.
My time at MUO or what is now UT Medical Center was wonderful.
Adm. Ast. Chairman, Dept. of Surg. (Former Employee) –  3000 Arlington Ave., Toledo, Ohio 43614January 19, 2012
I had a great deal of responsibility, when Dr. X left MUO after 6 years as Chairman. After his departure there were months where I was asked by the President and the Dean asked me to hold the department together while they were searching for a new Chairman. We had one Chairman that was hired and left after one year. Once again I was responsible for the ongoing day to day operations of a very large department. I loved my job and the people at UT Medical Center, however when the Medical College merged with UT many employees (middle management) found themselves receiving letters telling them that their positions were being eliminated. I would still be there if this had not happened. I still on occasion visit my old staff and friends that I made along the way.
Pros
benefits, salary, great staff, surgeons and residents were the best.
Cons
no gratitude for loyalty to the institution, i had been there 22 years.
Horrible work enviroment
IT (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHJune 13, 2014
This place needs leadership. The current leadership lacks vision, professionalism and has no clue about how to get people to work together. Each area is almost like it's own nation and all of them are at war constantly with each other. Finger pointing, and phrases like "we've always done it this way" or "it's not my responsibility" run rampant
Pros
great benefits
Cons
worst politics and work enviroment i have ever experienced.
Great Benefits
Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Toledo OhioMarch 3, 2014
I enjoyed performing my job very much
I worked 10 hour shifts and was on call a great deal during my time here
I learned a lot from the day to day activities and became very well rounded in what I can accomplish
benefits
Cons
management
Very friendly, productive and proud place to work.
Registration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHOctober 10, 2012
I registered patients. Gave general information to patients and their familys about locations and services provided by the hospital. I also took it upon myself to make useful forms and information directions and services. I greeted people thruout the day with a friendly smile and welcome. I was also very instrumental in the department for which I worked to give a very good report to JCAHO.
I was friendly with coworkers and others alike. The hardest part of the job was to calm excited patients at busy times, which I think I did very well. I loved every part of my job. I loved going to work everyday. Whenever management needed additional help I was always ready to help other depts. with their workload and work extra hours. The one thing I learned is this: I love working with people and communicating useful information.
Pros
the environment was nice and i was proud to be a part of utmc
Cons
while the union is useful it also has a hindering effect on people to do more.
Telephone Operator
Telephone Operator (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 11, 2015
Answer all incoming calls that come through the main switch board.
Make overhead announcements when traumas are coming in.
Utmc
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHNovember 1, 2013
Typical day as a PCA on a trauma step down unit, is extremely demanding of time, and effort. I answer call lights, give baths, blood sugar checks, change linens for about 25-30 patients. Sit on 1:1 and watch patients to make sure they do not hurt themselves or someone else. My duties used to include vitals as well but have recently become the RNs duty.Things I have learned while working here for the past 2 years is to slow down sometimes, have patience, it takes a team in this profession to get the job done, breathe and ask for help if your feeling overwhelmed, its all about the patient their wellbeing and safety so customer service is a large part of my position. Management has recently changed for the better on this floor, he uses a more democratic approach and is always keeping us updated. My co-workers are amazing, like anywhere I feel some pull their weight more than others but overall we have a exceptional group. The hardest part of my job is that I can not be 50 places at once. The most enjoyable is being able to make someone laugh, smile, or feel accomplished at some of their most vulnerable moments.
Productive work environment
Certified Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toledo,OhioMarch 9, 2015
Cases start at 7:30am.
Productive work environment.
Friendly staff members.
Work as a team.
Management is productive and always willing to lend a hand as needed.
At UTMC team work is essential
Health Data Analyst Support (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHFebruary 28, 2015
As a healthcare center, working in UTMC required patience, teamwork and supportive to others view and culture. In HIM department it is very important to have co-ordination with clinical and billing department.
Hospital and office setting
Surgery Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJune 18, 2015
This was my first very important job. Working with surgeons, nurses and other secretaries was very much an honor. Watching students become residents and residents become doctors was also an exciting part to witness. However, getting to know our patients and helping make a difference in their lives was the greatest blessing about my job.
Paid slavery
LAB TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJuly 6, 2012
They hire everyone as part time employees then work them as full time, to avoid paying out a full benefits package. The job descriptions are very ambiguous so they can put you just about anywhere for a couple hours and say you are trained. They are also not very forgiving when it comes to getting seriously ill. And that is downright disturbing for a hospital to act in such a way.
Pros
good pay and retirement
Cons
everything except good pay and retirement are bad
Interesting project with little room for advancement
Post-doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 11, 2012
The group I work with is researching a very interesting project. However due to the end of our current grant, they cannot afford to keep me for much longer. Because of this I am getting a jump start on finding my next position.
The university itself lacks organization and competent personnel. Due to state budget cuts there have been substantial layoffs and down sizing which has greatly impacted the efficiency at which work can be done.
Because of this I take care of everything myself. I run my own budget, order my own supplies, find shared equipment to use and collaborate with colleagues to get my job done quickly and under budget.
My typical day at work involves meeting volunteers at the hospital, taking them to have their blood drawn and receive the vaccine. I then process the blood to isolate serum and later B lymphocytes. Over a series of steps, B cells are fluorescently labeled with markers of interest. B cells are then processed through a FACS Aria to identify pneumococcal polysaccharide specific cells.
Pneumococcal polysaccharide specific cells are single cell sorted and expanded in culture. Supernatant is tested for immunoglobulin secretion and pneumococcal polysaccharide specificity. Secreting B cells are lysed and variable regions are amplified and analyzed from whole cell mRNA.
I love my work here. It is clinically relevant and ground breaking. Unfortunately there is just not enough left in the grant to keep me on board.
Pros
challenging work, make my own hours, constantly learning new techniques
Cons
university administration, long hours
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHDecember 19, 2012
Typical day is pretty laid back.Ive learned alot about the food industry and special diets,management is great as well as coworkers,The job is not hard at all and the most enjoyable part of the day was talking to patients and being able to make their day
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
nothing bad to say
University Hospital
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 7, 2014
I have so many conflicting feelings about this hospital. This job could be very overwhelming at times and I often felt that I was being pulled in 10 different directions. I understand that cuts have when we could not find anyone to help us with a turn, when transport took upwards of 4 hours, and when a patient wants to talk to a social worker or minister and they aren't available because hours were cut.

But, after everything, I really appreciate the experience. I got to work with a great group of people and learned a lot in this setting. I feel that, for the most part, the nurses I worked with enjoyed their work, worked well together, and enjoyed having and teaching students.
different experience everyday
ED Registration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Emergency DepartmentFebruary 7, 2015
A very busy and fast paced job with alot of ups and downs. Like in any job you have to maintain a professional manner no matter what the situation is.The hardest part of my job is when there is a patient that comes in who did not make it through whatever accident or health problem they may have had. The most enjoyable part of my job is a happy patient walking out and feeling better.
Normal graduate assistantship
Graduate Assistant Athletic Trainer (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 8, 2014
A typical day starts with class in the morning, followed by research and thesis work during the late morning/early afternoons, then working at Rogers High School as the head athletic trainer for the afternoon/evening during sporting events/practices. The most difficult part of the job is having to cover multiple events simultaneously by myself. I also supervise an undergraduate athletic training student every semester so sometimes it gets difficult to supervise and also work at the same time.
Pros
enhancing multi-tasking abilities/outside-the-box thinking
Cons
limited budget, understaffed
Great place to start your career
RN (Current Employee) –  Cardiac StepdownJune 23, 2014
Great place to work. The management is always willing to go out of their way to help staff
Great Medical learning facility!
Internship Biomedical Engineering Department (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHApril 5, 2015
While at UTMC I was an intern. Great place for learning and patient care! The staff at this hospital truly care for the patients. I recommend this hospital as a learning and treatment facility.
Employees are nice.
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMarch 25, 2015
I believe the managers here lack education on how to handle the diversity of employees.
All around great place to work. I enjoy the people and patients we see on a regular basis.
The drive is a bit far for myself that is why I am looking outside this
area.