University of Utah Health Care Employee Reviews

Medical Coder (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 12, 2017
The University of Utah is a great place to work. Nice environment and friendly coworkers and management. Great benefits and a training. I would highly recommend it.
Pros
Friendly
Political and self-serving, doesn't care about employees
RN (Current Employee) –  UUHCOctober 9, 2017
This company can be smooth sailing at times, but you will give them everything you've got, put your family on hold, work overtime, pick up shifts, go the extra mile- it wont matter. They will still use you to their ends and then cut ties when it is convenient. This isn't one department that does this; I have been in plenty of departments that do this, or seen their attitude first hand. Everything from management in individual departments to Employee Relations, and Human Resources is out to protect and promote the institution itself and not do anything to help or protect employees, no matter how much they have given.
Pros
Some benefits, 24 hour starbucks, great co-workers
Cons
Management, Employee Relations, Human Resources, lack of support or recognition.
Incredible
Guest Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Farmington, UTSeptember 11, 2017
Amazing work environment, great pay, amazing benefits. 8 hour day. 40 a week. New clinic. I would never ever want anything more from a job. I highly recommend working here
Quick paced, learning environment, meet lots of people, and be an advocate
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 7, 2017
Working at the University of Utah hospital has provided me many opportunities to learn. It's a quick paced and stressful environment but very challenging and rewarding. I get to meet lots of people around the world and even close by. I enjoy taking part in the process of an individual's care from when they are admitted to the hospital to their discharge. The hardest part can be losing a patient that I've established a relationship with but because of how fast everything can move I must not let it get the best of me. Management is fair in the hiring and raise process
Pros
Strong friendships, exciting, beautiful place, work parties
Cons
Always busy, short breaks
Great
Outpatient Patient Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 11, 2017
I have enjoyed working at the University of Utah as an Outpatient Specialist. The benefits are amazing and I have enjoyed my manager and the staff. The providers treat the staff and patients well.
Poor management, higher pay for men.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 10, 2017
Poor management on many levels. Great employees are treated unfairly and overworked.
Offers good experience in a fast paced environment, but overall not very pleasant.
Culture is geared for White Men
PROGRAM MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 18, 2017
The University Medical School is led by doctors, who would benefit greatly by having business degrees with leadership and equity focused learning included. Most are incredible in their Medical specialty, but lack people skills and management needs. Because HR is driven to support the upper most administrative position in resolving conflicts, the little guy or gal is often stepped on and forgotten, making raises and advancement impossible.
Pros
Benefits and PTO
Cons
Mangement and HR
Job is a job
Customer Advocate Specialist II (Current Employee) –  South Jordan, UTJune 10, 2017
This is a pretty typical call center, but it is not overly difficult. The Supervisor's are average, so they could improve on that. There are some opportunities to move up if you take them. It's a good job to go through school with.
Pros
Excellent Health benefits
Cons
Part-time only accrue ~1.2 hours per month of PTO
Fast paced, competitive enviorment for management team.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 7, 2017
Fast paced, competitive environment. Leadership demands on the management team are numerous. Great employees who strive to provide exceptional care.
Pros
benefit package
Cons
Leadership
Terrible mangament
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 1, 2017
They have favorite people. And if your not one they will find away to get you out... Will be friendly to your face but be careful when you turn your back..
Pros
Cons
Don't get them
Loved my Co-workers, Awful Manager
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 14, 2017
I loved the work and my co-workers. The benefits and pay were very good. The problem I had was that I had a bully for a manager. He constantly yelled at me no matter what I did. He was unpredictable in his moods and many people had a hard time working with him. He wasn't very clear on what he needed and would never pull you aside to discuss. I probably would have like the job more if it wasn't for him.
Pros
benefits, culture, coworkers
Cons
incredibly difficult management
Management treatment of employees was poor.
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 20, 2017
Micro-management, at times treatment very poor from management and supervisors. The pay was poor for the work completed. I had quite of bit of knowledge going into this job, management chose to not acknowledge my education or experience. There were a lot of egos from upper management and the doctors that I had to deal with. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with patients.
Pros
patients
Cons
pay, treatment by management
specific to Insurance follow up.
Insurance account receivables specialist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 20, 2017
Insurance follow up~
Clinics are good to work with if you need any additional information.
Teams are awesome to work with.
I have learned to take accountability for actions and have purposeful conversations.
Would not recommend
Patient Financial Advocate (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 27, 2017
Very political place to work. Promotions or being able to move from one position to another has nothing to do with work ethic, its more who you know. Very little employee benefits for how large of an entity they are. Very little employee appreciation. Extremely stressful work environments. Break schedule is extremely strict & micro managed.
Pros
Decent pay rate, Excellent health insurance, low cost insurance.
Cons
High Stress, Micro Management, No flexability, Hard to move up or around
Great Place
BURN TRAUMA ICU CLINICAL NURSE (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 24, 2017
I didn't work here very long, but they were very supportive of their new RN graduates and offered many other programs for career advancement. The encouraged staff to get involved in and go to national conferences. The team work on the Burn Trauma ICU is unparalleled to anything I've ever seen or experienced. It is truly my first love.
Pros
People
Cons
hot
Manager ITS Integrations & Web Development (Former Employee) –  salt lake city, utDecember 30, 2016
UUHC is a great place to work with benefits that are not found in other organizations. Good insurance, healthcare, savings and retirement programs.
The U moves a little slower than big corporate companies. This is part of the culture, but they are trying to change that.
The IT teams are undergoing a mass change to raise the level of standards. As well, IT is being integrated with the UofU IT staff. This has been attempted repeatedly before without success. They are better scaled for success now.
Be ready to justify your position! This is part of the changing culture.
Pros
State job, Flexible time, You are there to save lives!, Teams and staff are great
Cons
Changing direction, nepotism, justification of your job, long term people stay so advancement can be tough to find
Pass if you have other options
Med Assistant (Former Employee) –  All their clinicsDecember 28, 2016
Unstructured work environment. Horrible management that makes things up as they go along and is poor at planning ahead. I've heard good things about the benefits, but my second job had better benefits and used them instead. Doesn't pay comparable to other companies in the same job.
Strong culture
Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 1, 2016
It can get a little bit cliquey. Overall it needs some updating regarding wages. Good atmosphere and manager. Strong culture among staff. Being new is a bit like hazing,
Pros
works with school
Cons
No guaranteed lunch break
Only if you really feel it is for you
Outpatient Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 14, 2016
Maybe it was just me but I had the WORST experience working at the University of Utah Health Care.. My manager was downright awful, fired me for my anxiety, and when I tried to report it to HR they did nothing for me. They kept picking apart my story and basically just said sorry, there isn't anything we can do for you. If you're not willing to be there, smile every second of the day, have a hard time in health care settings i.e., clinics, receptionist jobs, or anywhere that a medical emergency can happen, then this job is NOT for you. If you are going into the medical field, perfect, if not.. better have tough skin and a back bone.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Management, Hr
Productive and a very innovative work environment
Marketing Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 15, 2016
Productive and a very innovative work environment. The vision
is committed to be a health care partner distinguished by collaboration, excellence, leadership and respect.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Utah Health Care. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2