University of Utah

University of Utah Employee Reviews

Fun, caring enviorment
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 22, 2015
Pros: healthcare
a typical day varied patient care came first, answered calls and aided providers with patients care. I learned allot about patients
going through recovery and how to help them. management there was allot of changes while I was there but over all it was pretty good. the hardest part of the job was trying to find a system to monitor narcotics. the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help the patients.
Fine place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 8, 2015
I was a graduate research assistant for 8 years.

My typical day involved:
*reading articles to learn about past research in my area
*designing and manufacturing parts for my research
*programming (Matlab and C++) controllers and user interfaces for my research

Among many other things, I learned
*controller design, simulation, and implementation
*user interface design and implementation
*writing, submission, and revision of conference papers and journal articles
Good student Job
Shuttle Operator (Current Employee), salt lake cityJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Good student pay in shuttles dept
Cons: Difficult to get full-time.
I'm only part time so i cant really rate the benefits, but from what I hear they are excellent. The opportunities to get extra shifts are ample though.
Very diverse with huge opportunity for advancement and changing fields
Library Technician (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 1, 2015
It offered a great experience for customer service, especially in the way that field interfaces with technology.

I was given latitude to work as seemed most efficient but when I needed support it was there quickly.
Nice place to work
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJune 25, 2015
good life/work balance. Nice location of the campus. Great place for outdoor activities and ski. Close to a lot of national parks. Nice people around.
Great academic research automosphere
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJune 22, 2015
Lots of opportunities for research, great faculties, but most of research position has no paid. You have to apply research scholarship by yourself.
Productive.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Salt Lake CityJune 12, 2015
Great place to grow and develop new skills. Had the opportunity to work with people from many different backgrounds. Great benefits for their employees.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJune 2, 2015
Pros: Great place to work with lots of responsibility
Cons: Much to learn and keep track of details.
I really enjoyed working at the University of Utah. I was the Administrative Assistant to the Department Chair. I was able to organize the filing system and do library research for the Chair. I also set up the room used for seminars. I reserved rooms in the
School of Medicine for classes. I also edited presentations and letters for the Department Chair. I took notes of the faculty meetings, edited them, and emailed them to faculty. I was able to arrange travel accomodations for the department students and faculty.

I learned how to do all those thilngs listed above. It was very enjoyable.

My supervisor was very kind and helpful during my learning process. The Department Chair was easy to work with as well.

The hardest part of the job was the Promotion, Retention, Tenure project. I was responsible for gathering information about faculty and keeping it very secure during the process. I did learn how to do it, but it was one of the most difficult things I have ever done.

The most enjoyable part was the responsibility I had over so many important details of the job. It was very rewarding to be able to conquer the difficult parts of the job.
Good place to work with professionals
Executive Secretary (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMay 26, 2015
Pros: Healthcare, benefits, networking, resources
Cons: Politics
I absolutely love working for the U, but am from California and would like to be closer to my family for the time being. There is a lot of growth opportunity here.
great job working in math lab
TA, grader, tutor (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMay 21, 2015
Pros: great environment
Cons: some instructors have unrealistic expectations of their graders.
if you get a chance to work in the Math Lab tutoring or as a TA it's a great opportunity. You will help others while honing your math skills.
Great Stuff
Office Assistant (Current Employee), Salt Lake CityMay 19, 2015
able to set schedule around class requirements, great coworkers, able to set schedule around class requirements, great coworkers, able to set schedule around class requirements, great coworkers, able to set schedule around class requirements, great coworkers, able to set schedule around class requirements, great coworkers, able to set schedule around class requirements, great coworkers, able to set schedule around class requirements, great coworkers, able to set schedule around class requirements, great coworkers,
Lower pay but better benefits
Fire Prevention Specialist (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMay 14, 2015
Pros: benefits, time off, life/work balance
Cons: lower pay, more regulations
Its a state job, so the benefits are great but the pay leaves alot to be desired.

So far so good, it takes a long time to get familiar with campus but once you do the job becomes easier.

Like any government job, the process is slower than a private company. Everything takes a little longer.
A great place to work, to learn, and to live
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Salt Lake CityMay 3, 2015
In the past five years, I have been studying and working at the University of Utah Metallurgical Engineering Department. The professors here are nice, knowledgeable, and easy to go along with. The students here hard-working, friendly, and ready to help others. The University of Utah provides state-of-the-art research facilities and research atmosphere which are very important to my success in PhD program. I have enjoyed a lot being a graduate research assistant and teaching assistant.
Loved working there until the freeway was always being worked on.
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTApril 23, 2015
Pros: Teaching environment, always high tech.
Cons: Changes were slow, always had to go through several committees.
This was over 18 years ago but as I recall the most enjoyable part of the job was counseling with and mentoring employees. Watching the changes they made from meeting to meeting was exhilarating.

Most difficult was the employee relations. In one meeting an employee actually threatened to commit suicide and I stopped the meeting to contact security and called to get her help.
Productive and fun
Asst (Former Employee), dept. Medical InformaticsApril 18, 2015
Working with students is rewarding when they are motivated. There are a lot of highly educated and interesting people.
productive with good environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), 110 CENTRAL CAMPUS DR RM 2000April 17, 2015
It's good to work in this wonderful environment learning basic preliminary topics about transportation which is helping me to contribute in my area of interest.
Typical State run facility, cubicles, lots of paper, and hallways
Program Assistant (Current Employee), Salt Lake CityMarch 31, 2015
Pros: benefits, UTA Pass, Half off tuition
Cons: Pretty much everything in the department
Very poor on boarding process. No real training or employee development. All work is off the cuff type activities. No true defined role. Management doesn't respect each individual. The culture is very set in their ways, and many people are in retirement mode, yet they don't retire.

The most difficult part of this position is the people. Everyone is out for themselves and have no desire for employee development or advancement. The tasks are so back and forth that efficiency is lost.

Management belittles the employees and asks odd things of their employees. Promoting from within is not frequent. Pay is severely handicapped by the excuse of "great benefits".

Hardly any employee recognition. Communication is infrequent and the teams have a "I don't care, I'm a State Worker" attitude.
great place to work, good learning environment
Charge Nurse Surgical Unit (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 30, 2015
Pros: good team workers
Cons: night work
The UofU Hospital has probably been the best place I have worked. The staff went out of their way to make me feel welcome. I was a new RN and they were so willing to show me the ropes, to give me many opportunities to learn. I was given responsibility as a charge nurse quickly and I appreciated their confidence in me letting me do this position early in my time there. I learned much while I was there. Great to work in a university hospital
Job is very secure, but hard to advance and to be recognized.
Grant and Contract Officer/Accountant (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Job security, work-life balance
Cons: raises are awful, management forgets about employees
The UofU is great if you are working at a job for security and have no ambition to move up. Employees are forgotten by upper management. I had two one on one's with my boss in the 6 years that I had worked here. I am the type that goes above and beyond what I am supposed to do and was never recognized.
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 18, 2015
Pros: good environment, learn a lot, slow pace, management understand when thing done happen
This place is really good to work if you are a student because they are able to work with your schedule. This place is really good if you are doing research in certain subjects.

1 2 3 4 5

About University of Utah

Set in the foothills of the Wasatch Mountain Range, the University of Utah’s educational habitat provides breathtaking views – Read more

University of Utah Salaries