University of Utah Employee Reviews

Typical state job with all the plusses and minuses that intales
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 13, 2017
Highly political and bureaucratic with lower average pay overall but good benefits and job security. Working with students and instructors is a pleasure and very meaningful experience but is countered by the administrative hurtles that work against doing the best work.
Review
Usher (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 8, 2017
I could work whenever I wanted to. This is a great job to make a little extra cash. If you like sports, you will basically get paid to watch the games. The staff here is very nice.
Pros
watch games while being paid
Cons
short breaks, work outside in the cold
Great place to intern
Software Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 7, 2017
Management would listen to your ideas and make you feel like you were a valuable team member. That can be rare for an internship. Also had frequent potlucks and team activities.
Pros
Frequent potlucks and team activities
Amazing for beginners
Jr. Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 5, 2017
The University of Utah is an employer that offers a wide variety of jobs. I am familiar with the Information Technology section of the school. The management is decent and the organization servers as a great platform for beginners and student interns to learn all the tricks of the trade.
very busy , fast paced
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 30, 2017
great benefits.very busy , short staffed , over worked, not much room for growth. huge turn over.......................................................
Amazing place to work during school
Associate Instructor - Intro to Stat Inference (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 15, 2017
If you're looking for a job while attending the University of Utah, try and get a job there! There are so many opportunities to work on campus and maintain a good school/work balance.
Productive and fun place to work
Language Instructor (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 14, 2017
Great coworkers
good workplace culture
very diverse
quite relaxing
the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing and teaching students, helping them to learn a new language
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 28, 2017
Great place to work and good people always able to talk to supervisor and manager as needed and willing to work with you and help educate you on what needs to be done
Pros
Good supervisor and manager
Cons
work schedule
Too many politics, but great benefits and a lot of opportunities.
Executive Secretary (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 27, 2017
My job was typical administrative assistant work. The energy on campus is great and it was nice to have benefits and opportunities. Management over my department was somewhat poor. I would have liked less politics in the workplace and more care for the employees. Hard work should be rewarded in the workplace. I did learn how to work with vendors, about contracts and department budgets. The University did provide opportunities and had a great Wellness Program!
Pros
Wellness Program, benefits package, opportunities
Cons
Lower pay, workplace politics
Productive but Boring for the most part
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTSeptember 26, 2017
The work was productive and rewarding but management really lacked in showing support and appreciation for your work and commitment to achieving their goals.
Pros
Pto, Healthcare, School Benefits
Department of Chemistry poor workplace
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 26, 2017
The research assistants in the department of chemistry at the University of Utah are severely underpaid, under-benefited and over-worked. I would not recommend joining this department in any capacity. The department has blatantly ignored the serious mental health concerns we have faced, such as student suicides.
Pros
Close to mountains
Cons
Very little time off, if any. Very little support for students and staff.
Graduate Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 24, 2017
It is a nice place to work at the University of Utah. I learned a lot while working at the University of Utah. It was a great experience. I would recommend working at the university.
Great for benefits and meeting new people
PDA Solid Organ Transplant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 23, 2017
I loved working for the U! The employees really make the difference at the hospital. I loved being a part of that and it is the thing I miss the most about it. I would go back to work there in a heart beat!

I don't miss the HR department!!! I would still be working there today if they had not physically lost my FMLA paperwork. They are difficult to work with and definitely not willing to go out of their way. Especially when they made a mistake and did not help to rectify it. Very dis-heartening.
Great benefits/ state benifits
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 20, 2017
The university of Utah has a ton of opportunities for a job, I just work for the Security department. it's not bad but with any other state job there is no room for advancement because people who have been there tend to stay for a good amount of time.
Pros
insurance was great, PTO was good.
Cons
no room for advancement
Horrible Management/No raises
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 20, 2017
The School of Dentistry has a lot of improving to do. There was no real chances for advancement. The school also did not do any kind of personnel reviews for raises. The only raises were those mandated by the state. People who had over fives times the experience were only getting paid $1 more than those with less than two years. The management had zero backbone and would sooner throw her employees under the bus than go to bat for them with serious issues.
Pros
long lunch, good benefits
Cons
management, no raises
Ok place to work but no advacement or benefits included
Lab Assistant-Genetic Epidemiology Lab (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 16, 2017
Good management from my manager
I've worked here for 5 years and didn't receive a pay raise until this year. There is no chance for position growth. For my position there are no benefits available
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no position growth, no benefits for my position
Flexible and convenient
Preschool Teacher (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 11, 2017
I love working on campus. My particular job at a child care center has very flexible hours, competitive compensation, and a fun and supportive atmosphere.
Overall one of the best places I worked at
Outpatient Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake, UTSeptember 7, 2017
Generally overall it was one of the best places I worked at. The only bad thing about them is the traffic to get there because it's packed or under construction. The other thing that I can complain about is the fact that they don't offer insurance. To be completely honest I regret ever quitting and wish I could go back.
Pros
Insurance day 1 and mostly everything about it in general
Cons
Commute and no vision insurance
Frustrating workplace with no advancement.
Computer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 5, 2017
Working for the University of Utah's UIT department was a great job for the money and benefits. However, the management of the department was ignorant of problems at its best, and lazy and unwilling at its worst. Frustrating internal politics, complete lack of job advancement, and a stream of confusing decisions by management do not make UIT a good department to work for.
Pros
Great benefits, easy commute.
Cons
Internal politics will keep you at the bottom, lazy management.
research assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 5, 2017
Good place to work as a student
Learned how to do research and test standards to the ASTM test standards.
It was a temporary position for a undergraduate research student

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Utah. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3