University of Vermont Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun place
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VT, USAJune 2, 2016
I am carrying out research on pulmonary inflammation and fibrosis. Typically, I work in the lab where I perform various scientific experiments. I learned the approach, design and execution of scientific experiments. Moreover, I evolved as experienced researcher with the capabilities of becoming independent researcher. Management is wonderful and mentor is supportive and inspires to achieve more things in research. My co-workers are awesome and we work as a group and we do arrange outings once in a while, which keeps us a strong team. I do not see anything as hard in the present job, except that I am missing my family in India. The most enjoyable part of the job is well organized lab, co-operative colleagues and inspiring mentor.
Pros
Good facility for research
University
Project Leader (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 29, 2016
I graduated the University of Vermont in the Spring of 2016, majoring in environmental engineering. The program was excellent and I developed a strong interest in hydraulics/hydrology and water remediation.
Exciting place to work
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 25, 2016
Henderson's Cafe is a stimulating work environment, and I am always motivated to go to my shifts. I have gained a great deal of customer service skills, as well as how to work at the cash register and handle money, cleaning, and item stock.
Mellow job, issues are on individuals, not the company
Assistant Accountant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VT 05401May 13, 2016
Some management issues, others would critique as favoritism, I would deem conflict of good communication. Overall a good place to work.

Given paper work on what needs to be worked on, and then you did it. Usually you already knew what needed to be done, working on things for a week or month in preparation. Or other small things are the same you do each week.

Management had the best interest to make the company money and stuck to policy with little leniency, but have never seen an employee be hurt. Any issues are due to employee drama/personal disagreements and always handled well. Flexible scheduling but no room for advancement,
beautiufl
Research Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTApril 12, 2016
Looking back I was able to have everything I could have wanted from a higher education. Work was hard, but very fair. I learned a lot about myself and how I work and how to be a better team mate.
Good overall
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTNovember 25, 2015
Was a student employee so not accurate. However, I loved my experience with my research lab. Everyone was great. At my lab I increased my knowledge in Molecular Biology. I also was able to grow withing my work invironment and manage a lab
Busy, high volume biochemistry research department Lab/office
Office/Program Support Generalist (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTNovember 12, 2015
Superior multitasking talents, with the ability to manage multiple high-priority assignments and develop solutions to challenging business problems. Computer expertise, with proficiency in MS Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
Broad-based experience covering a full spectrum of administrative duties, including executive support, office management, billing/invoicing, payroll administration, customer care, account management, database administration, document preparation, travel/meeting coordination and project/program support.
Great place tow work
Career Services Extern (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTSeptember 25, 2015
I was an intern there but I enjoyed my short stay. Great work environment that values self-care and health. I had the privilege to attend some great graduate courses as an undergrad.
Pros
personal growth
Great place to work.
Office Support Generalist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTSeptember 15, 2015
Love the University atmosphere! The energy from the students is great. I currently have the best supervisor for whom I've had the pleasure to work.

Looking to relocate to North Carolina.
Research Assistant
Field and Lab Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTJune 28, 2015
The position gave me a range of useful skills and field experience. The supervisor created a very positive and productive work environment.
Uvm is a fun place to work for
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  THE JAMES JEFFORDS BUILDINGJune 23, 2015
My typical day at work is doing daily cleaning. Some times talking to students and co workers.Working around people you get to know them. My co workers were all great people.I worked with a lot of people from other countries and learned about the way they live. There was nothing hard about my job I liked every thing about it. I liked doing almost every thing and learning other things
Pros
THEY WOULD GIVE THEIR EMPLOYEES FREE LUNCHES TO SHOW GOOD OF A JOB EVERTONE DOES
Good work environment
Dell Campus Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTJune 2, 2015
I worked as a member of the athletic event staff. Duties changed based on the sport at hand. Good management and a positive work environment
Absolutely Wonderful Space
Writing Tutor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VermontJune 1, 2015
UVM is a wonderful employer. Anyone would be lucky to have worked there. In the one year that I have spent working there I have been marvelously supported by the Writing Center Staff.
An institute of higher learning yet they have alot to learn
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTApril 16, 2015
Giving the employees the ability to work indepentantly and valuing their skills is a double edged sword in some departments. If you work too independantly with little guidance you risk managers blaming you for all that goes wrong.
Pros
tuition remition
Cons
lack of family issue understanding
Marketing
Campus Recreation Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMarch 31, 2015
A typical day at work was handing out flyers, handing out player cards, selling tee shirts from a stand, money machine set up, throwing tee shirts to the crowds, ect...
I learned a lot about what people respond to when you want to get their attention. A lot of times people won't even notice that you have anything to offer until you call their attention. Once you have their attention usually they will take what you have to offer.
Pros
Good Experience
Cons
Poor Hours
Big organization but decent opportunities
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMarch 16, 2015
It's been a while since I worked there as a help desk technician in the computer labs, and while it was convenient to work at school while I was attending UVM, it was also very poorly compensated. However, it was just an entry-level position and was part of a work/study program, so I don't really have experience working in the higher-levels of UVM. However, UVM is a large organization, and whenever you have a large organization it loses the personal feel and there are many inefficiencies.
Pros
easy commute and i was able to work with friends and colleagues
Cons
low compensation and not many advancement opportunities given it was work/study
Great Learning Opportunity
Student Leader (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMarch 13, 2015
Overal my time at UVM was well spend. I learned a great amount about community organizing.
in a typical day answered phones, Managed student Library, made/ order copies of student information pamphlets, Organized, and marketed Student events such as the weekly Sisterhood Circle and the annual V-Day Campaign.
Pros
community, empowerment
Cons
no room for advancement
Asst coach
Assistant Head Coach (Former Employee) –  Burlington VermontMarch 4, 2015
Assist in the day to day operation of a division 1 soccer program. Duties included but not limited to training,recruiting . Duties as the director of operations included, scheduling and organizing travel and team events.
all preparation is good
Intern (Former Employee) –  Billings LibraryFebruary 17, 2015
This internship was good in the sense that it helped prepare me for some of the things that I might come across in the real business world, and a good transitionary point from which to jump from college to the professional world.

However, a lot of the information that was garnered was more or less common sense, and while we wee being paid for it, it was a very little amount.

it was good to learn how to use things like oracle and other web based reporting tools, but that's about all I got out of it.

the best component of the internship was that we had complete freedom with how we were to approach our project and campaign. making an action video for UVM's Clean Energy Fund though was an absolute blast! the whole process from the filming itself, to negotiating what we could do with risk management was a fascinating and surprising experience.

office work though was at best boring an often felt unnecessary, but meeting for an hour once every two weeks alleviated that a lot.

it was an interesting experience to be sure, and would recommend it to other students if they're clueless as to how to apply for jobs, writing resumes and cover letters and things of a similar nature, but otherwise, it's nothing you haven't heard before.
Pros
lots of creative freedom
Cons
pointless job hunting workshops
Higher Education
Employer Relations and Outreach (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTDecember 9, 2014
University of Vermont is a great employer in the state of Vermont.

4.4