University of Vermont Employee Reviews

Great as a Student
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTOctober 25, 2017
My job was specifically geared toward current students. As a graduate student I was able to receive both pay and some tuition help for my both of my Graduate jobs. The people was great and it was a fantastic staff and University to work with.
Great workplace
Physics Department Business Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTOctober 16, 2017
Many opportunities to learn & grow professionally. Great people, work environment, and superb benefits. Greatly enriched my professional life in every aspect.
Solid employer
ADMINISTRATIVE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTOctober 14, 2017
Pros
-Large university with great benefits
-Tuition remission
-Great atmosphere/sense of community
-Cannot speak on all of the departments campus-wide but most seem to be an enjoyable place to work, good hours, etc.
Cons
-UVM does not prioritize employees' ability to move upward/career progression. A hard-working employee who has grown within their position and taken on additional responsibilities struggles to get approval for a promotion. Almost seems as though the University looks for reasons not to promote employees which is frustrating because the pay is not great.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Work on your own time
Subject Area Tutor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTSeptember 19, 2017
Through the tutoring database, students will contact you directly to arrange times to meet up. From there, the experience will depend on the student and their material. After the tutoring session, reporting the hours in the database is easy.
Productive and fun.
Student Phonathon - Chatty Cats (Former Employee) –  Grasse Mount Burlington, VermontSeptember 7, 2017
As a manager I would come in prior to any given shift. I would meet with the Program Director and establish our goals for the upcoming shift, who we were to be calling and what type or rapport we needed to establish with the prospective clients. I would set up a rough idea of how to make the shift interactive but also productive and would work with my fellow managers to keep shift enjoyable throughout the evening.
Senior project
Chickadee Resighting and Banding Senior Project (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTAugust 31, 2017
While it wasn't a job, it was great experience creating a wildlife survey that future wildlife students will use. My love for ornithology originally sparked my interested and the nearby research forest would be a perfect place to do it. I also believe in creating accessible wildlife education for the public, which is also why I created days where students and other city residents could come and see what wildlife technicians and biologists actually do - and see some wildlife up close! It's important to create these connections, especially for younger generations.
Low salary and little room for advancement
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTAugust 30, 2017
Typical day is spent in front of a computer. Management is very hands off which can be good and bad. Good in that there is no micro-management but difficult when questions need to be answered. It's a great place to work if you have a dual income household and could benefit from tuition reimbursement. Otherwise, the pay is very low with little room for advancement.
Pros
Paid holidays and break at Christmas, UVM tuition reimbursement, shorter work day
Cons
Litte opportunity for advancement, lack of appreciation for a job well done
Ra
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VT 05405August 27, 2017
This job does not compensate workers well enough and expects too much of students. The reslife department as a whole does not support their workers and students like they say they claim to do. Their foundation of teaching is never shown.
Knowledge filled and diverse
Professor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTAugust 15, 2017
This place of education was both my alma mater and my place of employment. I loved everything about teaching here. The only issue was that my husband died while I was employed and I just couldn't go back to teaching at the time.
Rewarding place to work
Laboratory Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Burlington, VTJuly 14, 2017
I loved my job at UVM it is wonderful place to work. I left to take care of my mom. Should I get the opportunity to go back to work there i will be happy to do so.
Benefits
Extension Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTJune 26, 2017
Fun and energetic place to work. Travel and long hours are common when working in agricultural research. Overall, the job was very rewarding and it's a great place to network and make lifelong friends.
Valuable Learning Experience
Carbon Dynamics Laboratory Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTJune 7, 2017
The personal connections I made through my experience at UVM, as well as the professional work experience I gained through working with the CDL was invaluable.
Great place
Statistical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 29, 2017
It was a great experience. I got a lot of hands on work, working with an investigator who was eager to get her results published. I was able to publish one paper in my time there, and am in the process of getting another out
Great Research Opportunities
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 24, 2017
Working in the Stein-Lian lab, I never felt like part of the core group, which is really a double edged sword. Everyone was nice enough and got along, but people were really quite independent, which I loved. More importantly though, I loved the research and investigating cancer. Strangely enough, I feel like it gave me a sense of purpose.
Great atmosphere for workers
CHEMISTRY LAB ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 18, 2017
Typical day of work consisted of helping waitresses, take menu orders, bus/set tables and answering phones. The shifts varied, but as a hostess, I was on schedule three days a week from 4pm to 9pm. I learned proper phone etiquette, and customer service skills. The management and culture is a traditional family-run restaurant, and was very supportive of both work-life and home-life. Most enjoyable part of job was the family-like connections with co-workers, while the hardest part was being constantly on your feet moving for 5 or more hours.
Pros
Great family atmosphere
Cons
long hours on feet, very short breaks
Campus Child Care Center is great
Child Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 9, 2017
Campus Child Care Center is great. Students get a good eduction and kids get tons of attention. Veteran staff know what they are doing and the students all have their hearts in the right place.
Awesome work environment with caring people
Studio Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 3, 2017
The environment here was wonderful. The employees were treated with care and respect. Gratitude and appreciation were always given. The schedule is also very flexible, which can be very beneficial as a full-time college student.
Pros
Amazing environment, flexible schedule
Enjoyable hard-working coworkers present to make the best experience for the customers.
Event Staff (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTApril 13, 2017
Working as Event Staff at the University of Vermont taught me a lot about how to treat guests or customers respectfully and thoughtfully. I learned how to deal with uncomfortable situations and did my best to make everyone happy under challenging consequences.
Unvt
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTApril 5, 2017
Preparing food and helping staff set up different arrangements and making sure the food is great and the student and staff are happy and satisfied at all times
Pros
Benefits, Pay
Cons
Leaving vermont
Good work place
Front Desk Secretary (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTApril 5, 2017
My boss was wonderful and I got to work with students. It was a fairly easy job and a good one to have at school. I was able to balance my work and school life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Vermont. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4