University of Vermont Employee Reviews

UVM IS A FUN PLACE TO WORK FOR
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  THE JAMES JEFFORDS BUILDINGJune 23, 2015
MY TYPICAL DAY AT WORK IS DOING DAILY CLEANING. SOME TIMES TALKING TO STUDENTS AND CO WORKERS.WORKING AROUND PEOPLE YOU GET TO KNOW THEM. MY CO WORKERS WERE ALL GREAT PEOPLE.I WORKED WITH A LOT OF PEOPLE FROM OTHER COUNTRIES AND LEARNED ABOUT THE WAY THEY LIVE. THERE WAS NOTHING HARD ABOUT MY JOB i LIKED EVERY THING ABOUT IT. i LIKED DOING ALMOST EVERY THING AND LEARNING OTHER THINGS
Pros
THEY WOULD GIVE THEIR EMPLOYEES FREE LUNCHES TO SHOW GOOD OF A JOB EVERTONE DOES
Good work environment
Dell Campus Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTJune 2, 2015
I worked as a member of the athletic event staff. Duties changed based on the sport at hand. Good management and a positive work environment
Absolutely Wonderful Space
Writing Tutor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VermontJune 1, 2015
UVM is a wonderful employer. Anyone would be lucky to have worked there. In the one year that I have spent working there I have been marvelously supported by the Writing Center Staff.
An institute of higher learning yet they have alot to learn
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTApril 16, 2015
Giving the employees the ability to work indepentantly and valuing their skills is a double edged sword in some departments. If you work too independantly with little guidance you risk managers blaming you for all that goes wrong.
Pros
tuition remition
Cons
lack of family issue understanding
Marketing
Campus Recreation Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMarch 31, 2015
A typical day at work was handing out flyers, handing out player cards, selling tee shirts from a stand, money machine set up, throwing tee shirts to the crowds, ect...
I learned a lot about what people respond to when you want to get their attention. A lot of times people won't even notice that you have anything to offer until you call their attention. Once you have their attention usually they will take what you have to offer.
Pros
Good Experience
Cons
Poor Hours
Big organization but decent opportunities
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMarch 16, 2015
It's been a while since I worked there as a help desk technician in the computer labs, and while it was convenient to work at school while I was attending UVM, it was also very poorly compensated. However, it was just an entry-level position and was part of a work/study program, so I don't really have experience working in the higher-levels of UVM. However, UVM is a large organization, and whenever you have a large organization it loses the personal feel and there are many inefficiencies.
Pros
easy commute and i was able to work with friends and colleagues
Cons
low compensation and not many advancement opportunities given it was work/study
Great Learning Opportunity
Student Leader (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMarch 13, 2015
Overal my time at UVM was well spend. I learned a great amount about community organizing.
in a typical day answered phones, Managed student Library, made/ order copies of student information pamphlets, Organized, and marketed Student events such as the weekly Sisterhood Circle and the annual V-Day Campaign.
Pros
community, empowerment
Cons
no room for advancement
Asst coach
Assistant Head Coach (Former Employee) –  Burlington VermontMarch 4, 2015
Assist in the day to day operation of a division 1 soccer program. Duties included but not limited to training,recruiting . Duties as the director of operations included, scheduling and organizing travel and team events.
all preparation is good
Intern (Former Employee) –  Billings LibraryFebruary 17, 2015
This internship was good in the sense that it helped prepare me for some of the things that I might come across in the real business world, and a good transitionary point from which to jump from college to the professional world.

However, a lot of the information that was garnered was more or less common sense, and while we wee being paid for it, it was a very little amount.

it was good to learn how to use things like oracle and other web based reporting tools, but that's about all I got out of it.

the best component of the internship was that we had complete freedom with how we were to approach our project and campaign. making an action video for UVM's Clean Energy Fund though was an absolute blast! the whole process from the filming itself, to negotiating what we could do with risk management was a fascinating and surprising experience.

office work though was at best boring an often felt unnecessary, but meeting for an hour once every two weeks alleviated that a lot.

it was an interesting experience to be sure, and would recommend it to other students if they're clueless as to how to apply for jobs, writing resumes and cover letters and things of a similar nature, but otherwise, it's nothing you haven't heard before.
Pros
lots of creative freedom
Cons
pointless job hunting workshops
Higher Education
Employer Relations and Outreach (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTDecember 9, 2014
University of Vermont is a great employer in the state of Vermont.
Good work study
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTOctober 23, 2014
I worked on Redstone in a computer lab. It was very laid back, and the lab didn't get much traffic. On average I worked 6 hours a week and was allowed to do homework while on shift. There was only one student employee in the lab at a time, and usually the boss was across the hall.
fast paced high volume work load
Office of Admissions (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTOctober 17, 2014
I log in to my computer, check emails for priority work, then proceed with to do list.
Pros
nice co-workers and management
Cons
high volume work load, compensation does not meet work load
Excellent school to earn your master's degree.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTOctober 10, 2014
Small department with an open heart as mentioned in previous review.
Professional, relevant, enjoyable
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTSeptember 23, 2014
Doing logistics for the Shortcourse in Agroecology, field work in Chiapas Mexico logistics and surveys, scheduling suppliers. I learned about Agroecology, Food Security, Coffee cooperatives. The director of the program is a very capable person who cares about his people. My co-workers were very helpful, and professional. The hardest part of the job dealing with all students needs during the course. The most enjoyable was learning about food processes in a sustainable way, also working with the cooperative in Mexico was very fulfilling
Pros
learning, working with people, flexible schedules
Cons
no benefits, no permanent contract
great baseline education/experience on addiction medicine
physician assistant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTSeptember 16, 2014
This was my first position out of Physician Assistant school. It was a vital piece to my education in the field, as it prepared me for working with patients struggling with substance use and mental health, both of which are a great part of primary care medicine.
A career in higher education can be very fruitful and enlightening. In my case, it was both.
Assistant Director for Finance (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTAugust 27, 2014
Overall, working at UVM was a very positive experience. To be afforded the opportunity to perform a job that you absolutely love in a somewhat positive working environment translates to a happy camper!
Pros
great place to work
Cons
the culture is not right for everyone
Nice Work Place
Computer Lab Consultant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTAugust 20, 2014
This was a work-study job that my university offered to me and other students that qualify for work-study.

A typical day at work consisted of the consultant sitting at the main desk until or if one of the students using the computers needed assistance. Also, we must make sure that all supplies including ink and paper for the printer, are available when needed and if there are any technical difficulties with either the printer and/or the computers, we must contact our boss as soon as possible so that the problem may be fixed.

Also, the consultant who had the opening shift, must put in the proper passcode when opening the lab to turn off the alarm. After o
Likewise, the consultant that closed the computer lab at the end of the last shift of the day, had the responsibility of closing the lab properly by putting in the correct passcode to turn on the alarm when leaving the lab. Prior to setting the alarm, the consultant must make sure that all computers are turned off properly and that nothing is missing or out of place.
Good working environment, very nice facilities
Ph.D Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTAugust 3, 2014
I worked, day to day, with two other graduate students in my research group and my advisor implementing finite volume solvers on a variety of numerical experiments.
Very desireable work place
Payroll Operation Specialist/Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTJuly 20, 2014
very desirable work place, community and campus blend very well together. Fair, joyful co workers, good benefits,
Pros
free tuition
A Great Experiance on Student Engagement and Management
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTJuly 14, 2014
• I was able to learn how to provide a safe and secure environment that maintains a healthy, inclusive community building among all residents
• This was my first exposure to managing a budget to facilitate team building and academic oriented activities as well as conflict resolution

4.3