University of Vermont Employee Reviews

Mellow job, issues are on individuals, not the company
Assistant Accountant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VT 05401May 13, 2016
Some management issues, others would critique as favoritism, I would deem conflict of good communication. Overall a good place to work.

Given paper work on what needs to be worked on, and then you did it. Usually you already knew what needed to be done, working on things for a week or month in preparation. Or other small things are the same you do each week.

Management had the best interest to make the company money and stuck to policy with little leniency, but have never seen an employee be hurt. Any issues are due to employee drama/personal disagreements and always handled well. Flexible scheduling but no room for advancement,
Productive and fun place
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VT, USAJune 2, 2016
I am carrying out research on pulmonary inflammation and fibrosis. Typically, I work in the lab where I perform various scientific experiments. I learned the approach, design and execution of scientific experiments. Moreover, I evolved as experienced researcher with the capabilities of becoming independent researcher. Management is wonderful and mentor is supportive and inspires to achieve more things in research. My co-workers are awesome and we work as a group and we do arrange outings once in a while, which keeps us a strong team. I do not see anything as hard in the present job, except that I am missing my family in India. The most enjoyable part of the job is well organized lab, co-operative colleagues and inspiring mentor.
Pros
Good facility for research
Safe place to work
Post doctoral research associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTJanuary 22, 2017
Very safe place and Good environment to work! Some how I feel cost of living is too much and opportunities for dependents are very limiting unfortunately!
Big organization but decent opportunities
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMarch 16, 2015
It's been a while since I worked there as a help desk technician in the computer labs, and while it was convenient to work at school while I was attending UVM, it was also very poorly compensated. However, it was just an entry-level position and was part of a work/study program, so I don't really have experience working in the higher-levels of UVM. However, UVM is a large organization, and whenever you have a large organization it loses the personal feel and there are many inefficiencies.
Pros
Easy commute and I was able to work with friends and colleagues
Cons
Low compensation and not many advancement opportunities given it was work/study
Professional, relevant, enjoyable
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTSeptember 23, 2014
Doing logistics for the Shortcourse in Agroecology, field work in Chiapas Mexico logistics and surveys, scheduling suppliers. I learned about Agroecology, Food Security, Coffee cooperatives. The director of the program is a very capable person who cares about his people. My co-workers were very helpful, and professional. The hardest part of the job dealing with all students needs during the course. The most enjoyable was learning about food processes in a sustainable way, also working with the cooperative in Mexico was very fulfilling
Pros
Learning, working with people, flexible schedules
Cons
No benefits, no permanent contract
Exciting place to work
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 25, 2016
Henderson's Cafe is a stimulating work environment, and I am always motivated to go to my shifts. I have gained a great deal of customer service skills, as well as how to work at the cash register and handle money, cleaning, and item stock.
University
Project Leader (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 29, 2016
I graduated the University of Vermont in the Spring of 2016, majoring in environmental engineering. The program was excellent and I developed a strong interest in hydraulics/hydrology and water remediation.
fast paced high volume work load
Office of Admissions (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTOctober 17, 2014
I log in to my computer, check emails for priority work, then proceed with to do list.
Pros
nice co-workers and management
Cons
high volume work load, compensation does not meet work load
Busy, high volume biochemistry research department Lab/office
Office/Program Support Generalist (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTNovember 12, 2015
Superior multitasking talents, with the ability to manage multiple high-priority assignments and develop solutions to challenging business problems. Computer expertise, with proficiency in MS Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
Broad-based experience covering a full spectrum of administrative duties, including executive support, office management, billing/invoicing, payroll administration, customer care, account management, database administration, document preparation, travel/meeting coordination and project/program support.
Great people to work with.
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTJune 26, 2013
The University of Vermont has a nice relaxed environment with many benefits including free classes. It is a great community with wonderful people to work for and with.
Very desireable work place
Payroll Operation Specialist/Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTJuly 20, 2014
very desirable work place, community and campus blend very well together. Fair, joyful co workers, good benefits,
Pros
free tuition
depending on your title, excellent benefits
Postdoctoral Associate / Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTNovember 5, 2013
If you can get a title other than postdoc, the benefits and 403b matching is excellent here.
Great workplace
Subject-Area Tutor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, NCMarch 18, 2012
University of Vermont is a great company to work for. It provides valuable experience and fair compensation.
The University
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTSeptember 13, 2012
Its a University. They should pay you more to do your job. The benefits are awesome so it kind of makes up for the low pay bands.
beautiufl
Research Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTApril 12, 2016
Looking back I was able to have everything I could have wanted from a higher education. Work was hard, but very fair. I learned a lot about myself and how I work and how to be a better team mate.
Ecomachine Technician
Ecomachine Technician (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTNovember 12, 2013
Worked along side a crew of 7.

Lab based work on water samples; biological oxygen demand tests, turbidity tests, suspended solids, total suspended solids, e. coli culture tests and conductivity.

Work with YSI probes reading nitrate, ammonium, pH, temperature and dissolved oxygen on site.

Learned a great deal about lab studies, research and basic lab procedures. Gained immense knowledge on the working of the ecomachines system - this includes the construction of it, the functionality, the flux of nutrients and the processes that take place to cleanse wastewater.
Pros
great learning experience, great networking experience
Cons
long hours, no pay
Good overall
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTNovember 25, 2015
Was a student employee so not accurate. However, I loved my experience with my research lab. Everyone was great. At my lab I increased my knowledge in Molecular Biology. I also was able to grow withing my work invironment and manage a lab
Great Learning Opportunity
Student Leader (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMarch 13, 2015
Overal my time at UVM was well spend. I learned a great amount about community organizing.
in a typical day answered phones, Managed student Library, made/ order copies of student information pamphlets, Organized, and marketed Student events such as the weekly Sisterhood Circle and the annual V-Day Campaign.
Pros
Community, empowerment
Cons
No room for advancement
Uvm is a fun place to work for
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  THE JAMES JEFFORDS BUILDINGJune 23, 2015
My typical day at work is doing daily cleaning. Some times talking to students and co workers.Working around people you get to know them. My co workers were all great people.I worked with a lot of people from other countries and learned about the way they live. There was nothing hard about my job I liked every thing about it. I liked doing almost every thing and learning other things
Pros
THEY WOULD GIVE THEIR EMPLOYEES FREE LUNCHES TO SHOW GOOD OF A JOB EVERTONE DOES
Nice Work Place
Computer Lab Consultant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTAugust 20, 2014
This was a work-study job that my university offered to me and other students that qualify for work-study.

A typical day at work consisted of the consultant sitting at the main desk until or if one of the students using the computers needed assistance. Also, we must make sure that all supplies including ink and paper for the printer, are available when needed and if there are any technical difficulties with either the printer and/or the computers, we must contact our boss as soon as possible so that the problem may be fixed.

Also, the consultant who had the opening shift, must put in the proper passcode when opening the lab to turn off the alarm. After o
Likewise, the consultant that closed the computer lab at the end of the last shift of the day, had the responsibility of closing the lab properly by putting in the correct passcode to turn on the alarm when leaving the lab. Prior to setting the alarm, the consultant must make sure that all computers are turned off properly and that nothing is missing or out of place.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Vermont. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3