University of Virginia Health System includes a 604-bed hospital, Level I trauma center, nationally recognized cancer and heart centers and primary and specialty clinics throughout Central Virginia. We rank among the nation’s top hospitals because of our doctors, nurses and others who make every effort to push the envelope of healthcare.
Our staff has been recognized for excellence by publications like U.S. News & World Report, Best Doctors in America, America's Top Doctors and more.
UVA Health System includes these components:
• The UVA Medical Center, including the main hospital, Level I trauma center, children’s hospital, cancer center, and primary and specialty care locations throughout Central Virginia.
• The UVA School of Medicine, which consistently attracts the nation's brightest students and most distinguished faculty members. The School of Medicine's 23 research centers continually make discoveries resulting in new and better therapies, including in the areas of cancer, heart disease, and vaccine development.
• The UVA School of Nursing, which has earned a national reputation for excellence in education, research and practice. Ranked among the nation's top 25 public nursing schools, UVA offers undergraduate, master's level and doctoral nursing programs.
• The Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, a state-of-the-art library with a staff of professionals available to help healthcare specialists and patients find the latest health news and information.
• The UVA Physicians Group, the physician group practice that manages billing for UVA physicians.
Thomas Jefferson founded UVA's medical education and patient care program in 1825, but there was no hospital at all until many years later. In the spring of 1901, UVA dedicated its first hospital: a 25-bed building with three operating rooms. Over the years, eight additions brought the hospital to a 400-bed capacity.
In 1985, a new hospital was constructed. With a budget of $230 million, including $24 million from the state, it is the largest capital project in the state's history aside from highway construction. The main hospital recently completed yet another expansion, and an extension of UVA Children’s Hospital and new outpatient surgery center are slated to open Summer 2014. – less
53 salaries reported
$15.33 per hour
81 salaries reported
$32.29 per hour
23 salaries reported
$14.49 per hour