University of Virginia Health System

University of Virginia Health System Employee Reviews

Great Place
Equipment Spe (Current Employee), Charlottesville, VAMay 21, 2015
One of the larger employers in Charlottesville, VA. Great Place, care about employees. Pay is also good. The entire city of Charlottesville seems to need a better parking system, it is a great hinderance for working in Charlottesville, the whole parking problem.
Employees punished for holidays
Ins verify spec (Current Employee), Charlottesville, VaJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: great co workers
Cons: not getting paid for holidays
I just started working in the pre arrival unit and found out we do not get paid for holidays. We have to use our PTO or not get paid. They claim to care about their employees......doesn't appear to be so if we don't get paid for holidays and aren't given the option to work.
Great place to work!
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee), Charlottesville, VADecember 1, 2014
The University of Virginia always want to see you advance further. They are willing to help pay for school. They understand that you have a family and willing to work with you.
Transportation department
Transportation (Former Employee), Charlottesville, VAOctober 3, 2014
Pros: fellow coworkers
Cons: management in certain departments
Working in the transportation department had its good and bad days, but over all it was a pretty easy job. But the management was terrible. The mid day shift manager was never on top of his game. He was more worried about how he looked then communicating with his employees. I quit the job, because I was in the process of being terminated and was told I was mean to the mid day supervisor on the phone. Hmmmmm And he thought it was very comical when I was in the office when he was trying to terminate me. This dry sense of humor, that me and the other supervisor didn't think was funny. Because I questioned his management skills, when I provided all the documents he told me to sign and what was asked for. But it's UVA so I was in the wrong. But over all it's a great environment and great people all around you. Just stay away from the transportation department, unless you like to be undermined and thrown on the back burner when bleep hits the fan.
Great Place to work
Registered Nurse, Endoscopy/Bronchoscopy (Former Employee), Charlottesville, VAJanuary 7, 2014
UVA was a great place to work. It was a travel assignment so I was only there for 20 weeks. The staff was great and everyone worked well together. One thing I learned was EPIC which was UVA's computer system. Overall working at UVA was a great learning experience and I am glad I was a part of there team.
Productive and fun place to work
Orthopedic Surgery Student Intern (Former Employee), Charlottesville, VASeptember 30, 2013
great place to work
Academic
fun place to work
comes well recommended
productive work environment
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee), Charlottesville, VAMay 21, 2013
Pros: long breaks
Cons: the charlottesville town is too small. not many young single people
UVA is a teaching institution where learning is very valuable. A typical day here is busy. Complex cases on a daily basis. Working here for almost 7 years gave me a strong foundation not only giving the best patient care and technical skills, but also professionalism.
Excellent work opportunity
Specimen Management Technician Permanent (Former Employee), Charlottesville, VAMay 16, 2013
given the latitude to excel within a medical laboratory environment.
Very good place to work
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee), Charlottesville, VAMay 4, 2013
Pros: trauma level 1 hospital
Cons: parking!
Excellent practitioners. Very supportive for continued education.
Many opportunities for advancement.
Good place for scientists
Research Scientist (Current Employee), Charlottesville, VAApril 17, 2013
a typical day at work: 9 am to 18 pm
management: fair
your co-workers: friendly
N/A
Executive Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee), P.O. Box800901 Charlottesville, VA 22908February 21, 2013
Pros: great benefit package
Cons: n/a
Great Division.
Professional and Friendly Staff
Training Opportunities
LPN
LPN (Former Employee), North Garden, VAFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: great hospital to work for, .good benefits
Cons: sometimes work/life balance is not as flexible
I had worked for UVA for the longest amt of time as a Nurse. I find that the hospital encourages education. You are trained to work in a profession manner. Always looking for way to help Pt's Their benefits are competitive with hospital of it size in the state of VA. The value different culture especially locally and across the state. Job security is about the same. The especially when it come down to budget and cutting cost. Some time people and benefits are the first to go when the economy goes sour.
Exactly....
RN (Current Employee), CharlottesvilleJanuary 20, 2013
Pros: it's a job
Cons: too many to list
As the previous reviewer said. Cutting employee hours and forcing staff to work short only leads to employee dissatisfaction and potential for patient injury. I'm a current employee and on my unit I'd say 85% are dissatisfied and looking for other employment. Management is horrible. 2 years ago I was proud to say I was a UVa nurse. A lot has changed. My advice: explore other options.
Challenging patient care, unsafe staffing, very poor management
Clinician 2 (Former Employee), Charlottesville, VADecember 28, 2012
Pros: challenging patient acuity
Cons: very poor management
Current management is geared toward maximum output utilizing minimum resources. The goal is persued regardless and in fact to the complete and obvious neglect of patient and staff safety. This contributes to overwhelming burn out of nurses, high turn over, and decreased patient satisfaction. Management consistently disregards policies and when called on this action, changes policies to suit their practice, even when not supported by evidence based, professional orginizational standards. There is no work/life balance as they constantly demand more of the dwindling staff without benefit or reward. There exists an overwhelming lack of integrity throughout ALL levels of management.
HR Department Review
Former HR Staff Member (Current Employee), CharlottesvilleDecember 13, 2012
Pros: benefits
Cons: parking
Management within the HR Department is very poor. Many do not follow their own policies. No work/life balance. Too many changes to keep up with and constantly changing rather than fixing the ones already there. Absolutely no collaboration between management and HR staff on ways to improve existing procedures. If you can not follow the procedures without questioning and if you want to push back when something is not working, or if you want to offer suggestions on ways to improve the situation, then this is not the place for you to work if you are interested in HR.
Pillar of the Medical Community
MLS (ASCP) III and Education Coordinator (Current Employee), Charlottesville, VANovember 27, 2012
Pros: state of the are health care, good benefits, teaching facility
Cons: work life balance
UVA Health System is working to create an environment in which patients are satisfied and well cared for. The health system is also putting forth many resources in preparing for the new health care laws to take effect. These aspects of the hospital are positive, however focusing so much on these goals it is felt that the employees are left behind and while loosing personnel to attrition each employee no matter what area in which they work are feeling the burden of more responsibilities with less time and no pay increases.
This a nice place to work and find your area of Interest in Healthcare setting.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Charlottesville, VAAugust 15, 2012
Pros: free lunch and free short break and two weeks vacation
I do document temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure, and blood sugar ((ACHS) or Acc- check according to DR’s order into individual patient Chat. Provided a safe transfer techniques for all residents assigned. Indentified the normal range of motion and positioning for each individual resident. Ensured basic nutrition and fluid intake for all residents at risk per assigned. Also, provide any other tasks within the PCA’s scope of practice
Good diverse environment to work in. Very Educational
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee), Charlottesville, VAJune 20, 2012
Pros: opportunities for growth
Cons: commuting can be difficult.
Very good teaching hospital. Management was supportive and sincere.
very poor management
worker (Former Employee), 22908June 16, 2012
Pros: large hospital
Cons: bad new managers
focus is only on output,any question of managers ideas,policy and
ability is delt with punishment.lots of favoritism.using one employee
against another,HR is only on managements side.promotion,schedule,evaluations are based on favoritism.
the good is never rewarded,the bad always scolded.vacation time
hard to get after earned,be careful people.
Senior Recruiter (Former Employee), Charlottesville, VAMarch 21, 2012
Pros: great benefits, exceptional organizational leadership, nice people
Cons: none.
UVA Health System is a great place to work, with an amazing team of people dedicated to outstanding patient service.

About University of Virginia Health System

University of Virginia Health System includes a 604-bed hospital, Level I trauma center, nationally recognized cancer and heart – Read more

University of Virginia Health System Salaries