University of Virginia Health System

University of Virginia Health System Employee Reviews in United States

na
Revenue Cycle Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 28, 2016
At UVA my current position is Revenue Cycle Coordinator in the Pre-Arrival Unit. We are a small group that verifies, demographics, insurance, out of pocket estimates, and auth/referrals prior to a patient having and MRI or Ultrasound.

We make 2 call attempts to each patient to try and get ALL info verified, and hope to collect the co-pay if one applies prior to the service happens.
Great place to work, plenty of autonomy for employees
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJanuary 17, 2016
-Patient assessment, implementation of therapy
-Bedside manner, plan of patient care, airway protection, ventilator management, critical thinking
-Helpful management, receptive to ideas
-Friendly co-workers, easy to work with, knowledgeable
-Wonderful to help people who are suffering, that you can aid in their recovery and see them leave the hospital better than when they arrived.
Review Summary
Ultrasound Model (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMay 23, 2016
A typical day would be come in on Thursdays in three weeks apart and let 3rd year medical students learn and practice doing ultrasounds with a medical doctor present and teaching them.
Pros
Get paid for laying on a thick pad on a table
Cons
Cold gel on my skin
Fast Paced
Access Associate for Orthopedic Spine Center (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 16, 2016
Fast Paced, sometimes hectic, but overall good place to work. Gets overwhelming at times. The hardest part of the job is patients attitudes and the way they talk to you. The most enjoyable part is knowing your doing your best and that you actually like what you do. I have learned over the years to stay focused and do your job the best way you can and know how.
Poor
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 20, 2016
Unqualified management/supervisors; negative and stressful atmosphere; unappreciative; poor teamwork.
Pros
Paycheck and Benefits
Cons
no breaks other than 30 minute lunch break
HR Department Review
Former HR Staff Member (Current Employee) –  CharlottesvilleDecember 13, 2012
Management within the HR Department is very poor. Many do not follow their own policies. No work/life balance. Too many changes to keep up with and constantly changing rather than fixing the ones already there. Absolutely no collaboration between management and HR staff on ways to improve existing procedures. If you can not follow the procedures without questioning and if you want to push back when something is not working, or if you want to offer suggestions on ways to improve the situation, then this is not the place for you to work if you are interested in HR.
benefits
Cons
parking
Lpn
LPN (Former Employee) –  North Garden, VAFebruary 4, 2013
I had worked for UVA for the longest amt of time as a Nurse. I find that the hospital encourages education. You are trained to work in a profession manner. Always looking for way to help Pt's Their benefits are competitive with hospital of it size in the state of VA. The value different culture especially locally and across the state. Job security is about the same. The especially when it come down to budget and cutting cost. Some time people and benefits are the first to go when the economy goes sour.
Pros
great hospital to work for, .good benefits
Cons
sometimes work/life balance is not as flexible
Pillar of the Medical Community
MLS (ASCP) III and Education Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VANovember 27, 2012
UVA Health System is working to create an environment in which patients are satisfied and well cared for. The health system is also putting forth many resources in preparing for the new health care laws to take effect. These aspects of the hospital are positive, however focusing so much on these goals it is felt that the employees are left behind and while loosing personnel to attrition each employee no matter what area in which they work are feeling the burden of more responsibilities with less time and no pay increases.
Pros
state of the are health care, good benefits, teaching facility
Cons
work life balance
Avoid this hospital
RN (Former Employee) –  NNICUAugust 7, 2015
I worked at UVA fulltime for one month and left due to the many patient safety issues I witnessed. The staff training new hires were inexperienced themselves. I never had a meeting with nursing education. On paper, the ideas UVA says they are implementing are fantastic but in reality they are only words. No one at the bedside has the resources to implement any of the ideals that they preach to you in orientation. My entire experience at UVA was very disheartening. Even when I went to the ombudsman with my concerns nothing was done.
Pros
Reasonable pay
Cons
Unsafe, poor parking arrangement
Processing takes time and patents
Computer Operator / Helpdesk (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VANovember 16, 2015
most day are filled with basic problems from user that can be fixed. other days are user call ing about software or hardware that we did not know we suported.
My experience
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAOctober 9, 2015
I have really enjoyed working at UVA. I was given a chance when no other place would hire me because of no experience. I came from a nursing home setting and the manger gave me a chance. I have been hear almost five years and have advanced in my skills.
Pros
no free luches
Cons
great staff
Senior Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMarch 21, 2012
UVA Health System is a great place to work, with an amazing team of people dedicated to outstanding patient service.
Pros
great benefits, exceptional organizational leadership, nice people
Cons
none.
Challenging patient care, unsafe staffing, very poor management
Clinician 2 (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VADecember 28, 2012
Current management is geared toward maximum output utilizing minimum resources. The goal is persued regardless and in fact to the complete and obvious neglect of patient and staff safety. This contributes to overwhelming burn out of nurses, high turn over, and decreased patient satisfaction. Management consistently disregards policies and when called on this action, changes policies to suit their practice, even when not supported by evidence based, professional orginizational standards. There is no work/life balance as they constantly demand more of the dwindling staff without benefit or reward. There exists an overwhelming lack of integrity throughout ALL levels of management.
Pros
challenging patient acuity
Cons
very poor management
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 3, 2015
Good place to work. Some issues with holiday pay and vacation time as well as organization on certain items. Co-workers work well together on projects and keeping things flowing smoothly.
Transportation department
Transportation (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAOctober 3, 2014
Working in the transportation department had its good and bad days, but over all it was a pretty easy job. But the management was terrible. The mid day shift manager was never on top of his game. He was more worried about how he looked then communicating with his employees. I quit the job, because I was in the process of being terminated and was told I was mean to the mid day supervisor on the phone. Hmmmmm And he thought it was very comical when I was in the office when he was trying to terminate me. This dry sense of humor, that me and the other supervisor didn't think was funny. Because I questioned his management skills, when I provided all the documents he told me to sign and what was asked for. But it's UVA so I was in the wrong. But over all it's a great environment and great people all around you. Just stay away from the transportation department, unless you like to be undermined and thrown on the back burner when bleep hits the fan.
Pros
fellow coworkers
Cons
management in certain departments
very poor management
worker (Former Employee) –  22908June 16, 2012
focus is only on output,any question of managers ideas,policy and
ability is delt with punishment.lots of favoritism.using one employee
against another,HR is only on managements side.promotion,schedule,evaluations are based on favoritism.
the good is never rewarded,the bad always scolded.vacation time
hard to get after earned,be careful people.
Pros
large hospital
Cons
bad new managers
Great Place
Equipment Spe (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMay 21, 2015
One of the larger employers in Charlottesville, VA. Great Place, care about employees. Pay is also good. The entire city of Charlottesville seems to need a better parking system, it is a great hinderance for working in Charlottesville, the whole parking problem.
health system at UVa is a good place to work.
UVa Temp (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJune 17, 2015
I enjoyed working at the health system. The faculty were appreciative of the work I did. I enjoyed creating the monthly newsletter.
Employees punished for holidays
Ins verify spec (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VaJanuary 9, 2015
I just started working in the pre arrival unit and found out we do not get paid for holidays. We have to use our PTO or not get paid. They claim to care about their employees......doesn't appear to be so if we don't get paid for holidays and aren't given the option to work.
Pros
great co workers
Cons
not getting paid for holidays
No teamwork in the Spine clinic and management not being truthful
RMA (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VaJuly 14, 2015
Well, they preach teamwork, but it very seldom happens. They don't push equal responsibility where it's really needed. They expect one person to do everything alone in multiple areas eventhough there were enough employees with the exact same title, doing hardly anything from what i could see. They weren't honest up front with you in the interview with informing you that you won't utilize 95% of your skills that you went to school for,but we have a few other clinics that you can use at least some of your skills or they could've said something like that due to you can apply for any dept. *( now i heard they started being honest in the interviews late last year) *, just the feeling as if you completely wasted two years in school and after graduating you think you'll be doing that job or skills upon them hiring you under that degree or title. Then the supervisor had the nerve to ask me "What made you think you'll be doing that here? "And i responded with" Why wouldn't I think i would be doing those skills here due to them hiring me with that title? "I found out from an employee the second week of orientation on the floor in private!I felt like i wasted going to college for two years to only end up pretty much just rooming pts when they could've hired a high school dropout or junior high school student to do what they wanted us or required us to do. Granted they teach you what they want you to know like xray orders,charting or whatever, but rooming pts isn't the only skill i know. So if you're ok with not getting a chance to utilize those skills you studied long and hard for,  more... then this will be a great place to work far as nice and very knowledgeable surgeons which was a great pleasure and honor to work with.  less
Pros
working with outstanding surgeons
Cons
using your PTO for everything, nothing separate from PTO

University of Virginia Health System Reviews by Location